PDA

View Full Version : You look like a girl

Christy_M
01-04-2011, 12:03 AM
I am quite sure I didn't but I am amazed at how early my 4 year old daughter drew the gender line.

Let me start by saying I am a lucky guy with a wife with the same size foot as mine. She is tall and played basketball both in college and pros internationally. When I woke up this morning, I was in my pajamas and the dog needed to go out. My wife's brown Sorell look a likes were handy so I threw them on. Since my daughter knew they were my wife's, she made her statement. I don't know why she came to her conclusion about appearance but it is obvious that somewhere she has heard there are lines that shouldn't be crossed. I am sure it didn't come from the home. Does anyone else see these things at such an early age?

sissystephanie
01-04-2011, 12:32 AM
I think you have to admit that it is funny!! Your 4 year old is obviously more used to seeing her dad in his own shoes! I never had that problem with either one of my children, no way could I wear anything of my wife's!! And my agreement with my late wife precluded me from being dressed at all enfemme around the children!

Christie ann
01-04-2011, 10:58 AM
four year olds are very concrete thinkers. If you are wearing shoes that mom usually wears, you must look like a girl. Personally, I don't care if a 4 year old or a 44 year old tells me I look like girl. I just enjoy it. :)

Julogden
01-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Hi Christy,

How are you getting that your daughter's statement implies that gender lines shouldn't be crossed? It just sounds like she was stating her opinion, no condemnation implied.

Carol

Christy_M
01-04-2011, 02:03 PM
Hi Christy,

How are you getting that your daughter's statement implies that gender lines shouldn't be crossed? It just sounds like she was stating her opinion, no condemnation implied.

Carol

I agree it isn´t condemnation but why would it matter...I am still her dad regardless of the shoes I am wearing and to be frank, those shoes don´t scream "girl" like some of my others she hasn´t seen me wear.

sandra-leigh
01-04-2011, 02:30 PM
My understanding is that age 3 to 4 is when gender distinctions start becoming noticeable to children.

Chickhe
01-04-2011, 03:09 PM
I had let my hair grow a bit and I went swimming with my daughter. When my hair got wet she saw me from behind and said loudly....DaddyDaddy....you look like a girl!!! I just just laughed, ...thank you! very funny! I think at that age they are trying to figure out the world and they say it like they see it, but it doesn't have any deep meaning for them. It is mostly the way you react that determines how they learn to deal with it. The great thing about kids...I am finding out that I am learning a lot from them and one thing is to just enjoy the moment and not make it complicated.

susie evans
01-04-2011, 09:14 PM
oh yea kids are very smart i was recently at my daughters house and( thought she new nothing about susie ) and my 16 year old grand daughter started asking some questions about clothes she should wear and with out any hesitation she said ask you grand father he is much more into fasion that i am soo you never know what awaits you

susie

danica d
01-04-2011, 10:28 PM
Kids that age will definitely tell you how they see it, which can sometimes surprise us. My two little ones never cease to amaze me with things like that.