PDA

View Full Version : When NOT to wear pretty shoes - an advice, shopping, and flying thread.

Kathi Lake
01-04-2011, 12:13 AM
I am sighing explosively right now. I tell you this just so you know my frame of mind.

What a day!!
First off, for those of you expecting a shopping thread, this may not be your cup of caffeinated-beverage-of-choice. Yes, there was shopping involved, but with a flight to catch, it was a bit hard to do my normal "try on clothes until my eyes bleed" kind of day. Ah well, I'll get there as 2011 sure looks filled with promise so far!

My day started by finishing my packing for Vegas, kissing my wife goodbye, and dropping my daughter off at school (am I the only one relieved that school is back in session?! Phew! Between family-time out the wazoo (about as painful as it sounds) and my wife's ever-increasing honey-do list due to our recent move, I'm looking forward to going back to work to relax. :)).

Anyway, I then went to Ulta to see a friend. I had helped her last week with recording, editing, and production of a DVD audition for The Amazing Race. She was sweet. She knew I was looking at a Too Faced product, and had brought it to me in a little gift bag as a bonus for helping her. I asked her if she would mind doing my makeup since my wife was at home the morning I was leaving, and her pendulum has swung back to not tolerating me as well. Pity, but I can certainly understand her point of view and will do whatever it takes to follow her guidelines of "keeping it out of her face."

Anyway, I walked in right after opening, and said my hellos to the ladies there. I asked her if I should change first, and she asked me what I was wearing. When I mentioned my white top, she crinkled her nose and said, "Maybe you'd better change after. I'm not having much luck with white today" and showed me her white top under her sweater - with a blob of foundation down the front.

So, after asking me what look I was going for today (my reply? ". . . this is probably not what you hear from most guys - make me pretty!" :)). We found some eyeshadow colors she had been waiting to try on me, and a new blush from Stila. We used my normal Smashbox Camera-Ready foundation, with a new primer - Smashbox's Photo Finish Targeted Pore & Line Primer. It, along with my recent laser work, had the girls there "ooohing" and "ahhhing" at my newly-pretty smooth skin.

As always, it was fun watching the various people come into the store (of course, for the best light, I was in the chair by and facing the front door) and talking with customers and the employees there. Other than a few slight smiles/snickers from a few older ladies, everyone treated me with respect and courtesy. One lady kept circling me like a shark. My friend asked her at various times if she needed any help, but the lady refused. Finally, during one of her laps, I mentioned that I loved her boots. That seemed to break the ice with her and she then started in on "The Questions" You know the ones - "Is this for a bet?" "So, you actually like dressing as a woman?" "How long have you been doing this?" "Does your wife help you?" and more. She said I had gorgeous eyes, was jealous of my lashes, and was amazed at how beautiful I was when the makeover was finished (I told her that my friend was the one to thank - not me).

Finished with the makeup, I went into the bathroom to change. I attached my forms, put on all my clothes, and brushed my wig out (It looks much better after taking it to my wig lady and asking her to save it if she could. She truly does do magic!). I slipped on my shoes, applied a coat of gloss, packed up all of my boring guy clothes, and clicked on out to show the world.

My first stop was the salon area, because my wig was driving me crazy! One group of hair just didn't want to play nicely with others. Where the rest of my wig was one gorgeous fall of well-behaved hair, this errant strand wanted to be right between my eyes. I asked the salon manager if she could, "help a girl out." She smiled and directed me to a chair. As usual for her, she had it looking "showroom-perfect" in a matter of moments. She asked me if I was in my new house, where I was going looking so pretty, and told me that, to her, it seemed that I got prettier and more feminine each time I stopped in. Awwwwww. aren't friends - especially the little white lie-telling ones - great?!

I walked up to the front where one of them said, "That's it! Get this girl a name tag. She's hired!" I'm sure it was more due to the fact that I was wearing their colors (black and white) than anything else. We chatted and giggled a bit more, and my friend blurted out, "Oh yeah! You can't go out there just looking like a pretty girl. You have to smell like a pretty girl, too!" That started a firestorm of smelling each one's favorites. We settled on Pure by DKNY. It's a light, but unmistakably feminine fragrance. Hey, kinda like me! Well, the "light" part, anyway. :)

After the usual good-hearted insults on my appearance ("Look at you in that tiny skirt! Those legs! You do realize that you suck and that we all hate you, right?) I then left to go to Salt Lake, and my biggest adventure yet - flying pretty, as our hero Kimberly calls it. Of course, I stopped by my bank, as I love the tellers there. One of them, Summer, is a gorgeous early twentysomething with a sense of style that I wish I could pull off. Imagine someone with cheerleader-level good looks - and a fauxhawk! Her clothes are always hip, fresh, and unreachably young - for me, at least. I happened to get the new teller, who had only heard about me. Since she didn't know me well, she asked for ID. She smiled at me, and said that she really liked the difference, and said that if I had the choice, I should dress this way much more often as it "really suited me." I thanked them, and hurried to my next stop - my optometrist. It was time for Kathi to get a pair of glasses. I already have some prescription women's sunglasses that I bought there a few months ago, but needed a pair for when it wasn't so bright.

I walked in (almost falling in the door as the UPS man yanked the handle to open it from the inside for me) and the girl (I say girl because she is around 22 or so) said, "Hello, how can I, . . . heyyyyyyyy!! You look awesome!!" (She was the one that had helped me with my girly sunglasses, and had seen pictures of me). We chatted a bit while she fixed the missing screw on my sunglasses, and I said that I needed a pair of regular glasses. She said, "Women's, right?" and seemed pleased when I said yes. We tried on about two dozen, and finally settled on a pair that looked cute on me as a woman, but could do double-duty when I was in male mode.

We chatted for a bit, and another worker joined us. I could tell that she didn't know quite what to make of me sitting there in a skirt and stilettos, with my makeup and padding and everything just so. Pity, because she looked the type that I would love to get to know better - at least to borrow clothes from, as she looked like she was also a size 0. :)

I then drove to White House | Black Market for their 60% off sale. I'll leave that and more for a later post, as I don't know how many more words I can fit into this post. Plus, I'm not just tired (hence the explosive sighs), but I'm hungry! I only had a bowl of Corn Chex this morning, and a pack of peanuts and a Coke later in the day. This freaky body needs food!!

:)

Kathi

renee k
01-04-2011, 12:29 AM
WOW Kathy, what an action packed day! I always enjoy reading your posts, and I'm amazed at the acceptance you've garnered, in of all places Utah. But aside from that. I'm waiting patiently for the "flying pretty" part of your adventure.

Miranda09
01-04-2011, 12:36 AM
Kathi...I just love these posts. It always amazes me how confident you are out in public and how well people treat you. How about a few pics to let us see how HOT you looked after all that activity??? ;) Have fun gf.........

Kathi Lake
01-04-2011, 02:09 AM
Yummy!! I just had - while not the best Reuben of my life, one that was definitely in the top three. While I digest this huge mound of perfectly spiced corned beef, let's continue our tale;

You know how sometimes you're going at the speed of traffic and blissfully unaware of the speed limit? Unaware, that is, until you see flashing lights behind you and suddenly realize what the brake lights were for about a half-mile back? Yeah. That was me. I pulled into a cul-de-sac to get us out of traffic, and fished my driver's license out of my purse. He walked up to the window and said, Ma'am, do you know what the speed limit is on this road? You were doing 52 in a 40 MPH zone." I professed ignorance (not hard, for me), and he took my license back to his car. He quickly came back, ticket book in hand, and said, "Ma'am, did you also know that your registration was overdue?" I told him that my wife had reminded me of it about a week ago, but, you know, . . . He said he was going to give me a break, and just write me up for 5 MPH over. I thanked him and he said, "You drive carefully, sir - Sorry. I mean Ma'am!" I said that either way was fine with me and drove off a few dollars poorer. :(

I then parked right next to White House | Black Market this time - a good thing when there's snow and ice on the ground, and you're in cute little high heels. My favorite pregnant pixie wasn't there today. Bummer! She's due in early february. They did say that she still was working, but was off that day. They also said that due to her pregnancy that she was even more adorable than usual - if possible. :)

I could tell that they were in full "Get this girl's room full of pretty stuff so we can make some big bucks" mode, but I told them that I already knew what I was looking for, thanks to their catalog and website. I grabbed a petty pointelle turtleneck in my almost-trademark fire engine red, and a necklace that was also on sale. I asked about the dress I tried on last time, but unfortunately, it sold out fast (sorry Sara and Veronica!). Pity. I did a quick look-through of the store. I must come back as they have so much cute new stuff in for Spring! Unfortunately, I had a plane to catch, and I had just gotten a ticket, so I had to forego my usual tryon session. Sigh.

I left there and went to the airport. Knowing that I had a bit of time, I drove to the Skycap first, hauled out my suitcase (which seemed almost too heavy for me - must be the skirt and heels sapping my strength - Samson-style! :)), and got in line. It was my first experience with lots of eyes on me. On the way there, I stopped at a gas station where two young women (sisters, from the look of them) were filling up and chatting. They looked at me, smiled, and went on pumping and chatting. I honestly think they had no idea of my true self. Odd, and a testament to the makeup skills of my friend! Anyway, I made it to the Skycap desk, and handed over my boarding pass and driver's license. His eyes got a bit big when he made the connection, but his smile seemed genuine. Other people in line seemed to give me no undue attention whatsoever. Once I got my bag checked in I got back in my car. He was smiling and talking to the woman that was in line behind me. I knew exactly what he was talking and smiling about as they both glanced my direction. Hey, let 'em talk! They just saw an incredibly attractive guy in a very stylish outfit (if I don't say so myself :)) - not something you see every day in the nether regions of Utah.

I drove to the extended-parking lot where, since I had time, I was going to attach a set of glue-on French-tip nails. I just didn't feel like it, though. My normal nails were passable enough, I thought (hey, when your own son tells you they're getting long, maybe they are a bit extreme). I waited for the bus in the drafty cold (made worse with the skirt) and hopped on with my laptop and purse, and off we went. The shuttle was the first instance where people really took a good look at me. I'd like to think that I was looking so good that they were mentally doing a coin-flip on my gender, but even I'm not that delusional. Most people smiled at me, some just looked at me. Some looked, and looked, and looked at me. I just smiled back, brushed the hair out of my eyes, and grabbed the handrail to keep from flying all over the place. The bus dropped me off and I started off towards security. Most people didn't even notice me, it seemed. I did get a few people doing the double-take, and one young guy with his friends gave me a "Daaaaamn! Lookin' good, there!" but again, nothing out of the ordinary.

In the security line is where I felt the most vulnerable as it wasn't people passing me quickly, but time for people to really look at me and know that I wasn't a woman. I was in line behind a woman and her toddler son. Poor thing was really having a hard time. I smiled at him and at least distracted him long enough for her to quiet him down. She smiled at me and thanked me as I helped her with her luggage by moving it forwards in line so she could hold him. As I removed my shoes, she complimented me on them, and said I must wear heels a lot to be able to wear such high ones. She claimed that she couldn't walk in ones higher than an inch or so. I told her my standard answer that if a guy like me could, then she certainly could. She said that I certainly had the legs for it, and said when she first saw me, she looked at my shoes, then my legs, got jealous, looked up and wondered if I was a man or a woman. She said she finally decided that I was a man, but a very pretty one. I laughed at that and it was our turn to go through the metal detector.

I was already extra self-conscious as I had to remove my sweater, leaving me in a very form-fitting turtleneck and short skirt, leaving very little to the imagination of any onlooker. Still, I pushed forwards through any fear and went on through security. I joined the lady as we put ourselves back together and got everything back on. As she watched me put my necklace back on and fix my hair, she said, "Wow! You've done this a lot, haven't you? You really have the feminine mannerisms and attitude down. Good for you! This world needs more people willing to do what they think is right, and not others." I thanked her and said that I was just me, and it was the only person I knew how to be. She went onto her gate, and I trudged on to mine. Unfortunately, after walking to the shuttle stop, and then through security, and then from one concourse to the far end of another, my feet were getting tired! Maybe I should have rethunk the whole " . . . but the outfit looks so pretty with the high heels!" thing. My dogs were barking up a storm. They must be getting old (the shoes, not my dogs) as I can normally go an entire day traipsing around a tile-floored mall with nary a peep out of my feet. They're BCBG 4-inch stilettos. Though it may sound odd, they are honestly the most comfortable pair of shoes I own - and I'm counting my sneakers as well! :)

Well, I made it to the gate - with only a few hours to spare. It seemed that my flight was delayed (I can see Kimberly smiling at that - something she knows all to well, no doubt). I sat across from a family with a teenage son, a teenage daughter, and a girl of about 10-11. The youngest was the first to look at me quizzically. I smiled at her, and she smiled back. It was like that smile was all it took to remove doubt from her. Her big sister was next. She looked at me. I smiled at her, and she smiled right back. Problem solved! Isn't the power of a smile an amazing thing? The mom seemed to have no problems with me, and after smiling at me and nudging her husband (to no doubt tell him "Hey! Look at the guy over there. Yes, it's a guy. Trust me") she took a nap. The teenage son? Oblivious. Which, having two teenage sons, I can tell you - it's their normal mode of operation. :)

Finally, we boarded. I was near the back of the plane in a window seat. A young newlywed couple (you can just tell) sat with her next to me, and her husband across the aisle. She pulled out some gum, asking her husband, and then me if I wanted a piece. We both accepted. Realizing that they probably wanted to sit together (hey, I was a newlywed once :))I was going to suggest switching places. Before I could ask them, a passenger in his row asked. So, she got up, and a very large, very French guy was sitting next to me. I smiled at him, kicked off my heels, and went to sleep until we took off. Then I slept again. I woke in time for the beverage service, and went to the bathroom. We were experiencing a bit of turbulence. That, in combination with the heels, made me a bit unsteady - odd, as I usually get my "sea legs" rather quickly.

On the way back to my seat, I heard a "Miss!" directed at me. I turned, smile at the ready, and raised my eyebrows in a questioning "How can I help you?" The lady said, "Never mind. Thank you!" and turned to her friend and said "Told you!" Her friend just said, "wowwww." I laughed and returned to my seat. It's odd, I find that I can handle that much more than the stares and glances. Someone confronting me verbally at least gives me a chance to defuse the situation with humor or niceness. Someone just staring at me disapprovingly? Not so much.

Anyway, after landing, I waited awhile for most people to deplane and then sauntered off nonchalantly - not an easy task when your feet hurt. I tried to just get into the rhythm, and watch other women so I could match their pace and movements. I made it to baggage claim, where a nice gentleman got my suitcase off for me when I had tried and failed. I then got on the rental car shuttle. It was nice for the driver to load my bag (like it was nothing!) and offer a hand up the stairs. He must've seen I was fading fast in those heels! :) I selected my car. No girly cars this time like the VW Bug I had last year. Bummer! Instead I found a convertible Sebring that I thought should do (even though it's about 45 and overcast). I pulled up to the kiosk and gave the attendant my papers and drivers livense. After about 20 seconds, and a glance or two at me, she said, "Whoa!!" I said with a smile, "Let me guess, I don't exactly match my picture today?" She said, "Oh honey, this is Vegas, and believe me - you're looking fine!" I thanked her and pulled out. In the car I found that I had lost one of my lenses on my driving glasses. Arrgh! I also lost an earring in the car as well. Double-arrgh!!

I drove to the hotel and pulled into the valet check-in. I started getting the standard spiel on calling the switchboard which would relay to the valet desk when I wanted my car, and it might take 20 minutes or so - standard until I pulled out a ten. She then wrote the direct number of the valet shack on my ticket and said "Day or night, gorgeous! Call this number and we'll have it for you right away!" I just love expense accounts! :)

After checking in (a confusing miasma of ma'am/sir/ma'am/sir - poor guy. He must be new to Vegas), I went up to my room. I am at the Wynn. When I opened my door and hit the light switch, the curtains opened, the lights came up, and music started playing (No, I wasn't in the Pron Suite :)). Big, beautiful room, large tub, and a vanity that I can wait to try - what a place! I was going to meet SamanthaS from here and maybe do something, but the combination of sore feet and a sore back (I'm not used to having boobs all day. They're heavy!) and a long day made me grudgingly take my pretty clothes and makeup off, and find something to eat.

And, since that brings us to now, I'll end this post - for now. I'll be in Vegas all week, and have plans to have a little fun while I'm here. Who knows, maybe Friday or Saturday night we could do something?

So, thanks for those of you that made it this far, and read through all of my drivel. I know that I end to "spew" in these posts - details that many of you just don't care about. What can I say, I'm a person with a detailed memory, and a need for writing it all down. Call it a fault, I guess.

Pictures are forthcoming, Miranda. I packed my card reader - and then unpacked it last night to get some picures off of my camcorder, forgetting to repack it. I will find a cheap one here at CES, no doubt, and post them here for those interested. As to my "hotness" - Miranda, you kill me! Nite, everybody!

Kathi

katrinakat
01-04-2011, 02:38 AM
Sounds like such a FAB experience!!! I've been out and feel comfy in femme, but flying.........maybe soon. I'm jealous!! Go girl!

Christie ann
01-04-2011, 10:52 AM
As usual, I need a nap after reading a Kathi post. Wow, I am exhausted just reading about your day. Just want to say thanks, not only for posting, but for being out there and breaking ground for the rest of us and future CDers. Flying pretty is certainly on my list for a future event.

Kim_Bitzflick
01-04-2011, 12:23 PM
WOW! What a day. I'm glad you had a good time (mostly) and I'm proud of you for showing people what nice people we crossdressers can be.

Kathi Lake
01-04-2011, 12:28 PM
As usual, I need a nap after reading a Kathi post. Wow, I am exhausted just reading about your day.I hear ya! I dropped off to sleep soon after my nice, hot bath last night. It was a full day. On the flying thing, you should definitely try it - but only after being comfortable with being out. Overall, it was about a medium on the "comfort scale." See, when you're going through security, and waiting at the gate, and on the plane, you can't go anywhere. You are stuck being observed - sometimes in minute, critical detail. If you're shopping and someone gives you the evil eye, you can move on to another department or store if you want to avoid a confrontation. Can you move somewhere else at 40,000 feet? Not so much. :)

So, it was definitely an experience that I'll do again. It was fun! This time due to my inexperience, I kind of shrunk into myself, and other than smiling with people, and the lady at security, didn't really interact with anyone. That's not like me. I'd love to get out there next time and show the world that they have nothing to fear from us. We're just normal folk - who happen to love to dress a bit differently.

Kathi

helena.gcd
01-04-2011, 02:19 PM
wow, thanks, kathi, for such a detailed post. I read it all and really enjoyed it. And that's just your trip till you arrived to las Vegas!!!! i can't wait to read what it is to come after a whole week.
I'm longing for the day that i find the nuts to be my femme self and start behaving like i want to...... posts like yours make me realize that there is a whole world of experiences that i'm loosing, just for caring to much about other people opinions and not doing what i want.

as for the part that you say that you feel a bit 'inhibited' (is this an english word?) during the fly and that you want to have that experience but more relaxed and being the nice person you are, i think that you will only have to wait one week, till your flight back home.... so just get ready to show the world the true Kathi at 40,000 ft.

DeniseNJ
01-04-2011, 02:45 PM
WOW what a thrill, I am headed to Vegas on Thursday and only dream of flying pretty. The wife won't have no parts . I loved the story it was as if I was in your heels, Speaking of heels describe them. Were you nail done also . Would love to see a Pic of you in Pretty mode Lucky (U)

Kathi Lake
01-04-2011, 02:55 PM
I'm longing for the day that i find the nuts to be my femme self and start behaving like i want to...Helena, that day is now! None of us are getting any younger (or prettier). If you put it off to "later" then trust me - later never happens! You do have the nuts, so to speak, to be the woman you always wanted to be. Man up and get pretty! :)

as for the part that you say that you feel a bit 'inhibited' (is this an english word?)Being a new experience, it just kind of threw me for a loop. Usually when I go shopping, it's mostly women. This time, it was women, and children, and men. I'm used to the looks I get from women, and they're usually looks of respect, tolerance, and sometimes admiration (I'm sure women appreciate effort). I'm not used to the glances I get from guys. I'm not sure how to parse them. Sure, they'll look at my chest (in the top I was wearing, there wasn't much choice! :)), but they'll also look at my face, my body, and I wonder what they're thinking. Actually, from some of their expressions, I don't think I want to know what they were thinking. :)

Basically, it was just a new experience. I'm sure I'll do better next time!

Speaking of heels describe them.Ah, a heel person, eh? :)

They're a simple pair of BCBG classic pumps. I love them because they're not too pointy, not too rounded. They're a pebbled black (I never really liked patent), and have about a 4-inch stiletto heel. They're my main go-to shoes as they go with about any look from casual under jeans to my dressy skirts and dresses.

As I said, pictures are coming! I plan on an errand to Fry's today to get a card reader.

Kathi

DeniseNJ
01-04-2011, 03:02 PM
Nice, I am not into the pointy heel or the too rounded ones. I have a thing for peep toes and love to show off a pretty pedicure

Sara Jessica
01-04-2011, 03:16 PM
So you're the reason why this site crashed this a.m.??? ;)

Barely got through the first chapter and noticed the next installment will take me much longer than the remainder of my lunch will allow. Something to look forward to later!!!

steftoday
01-04-2011, 07:24 PM
another great travel tale! you and Kim rock! thanks for sharing with us; the poor, unwashed.... :D

Kathi Lake
01-04-2011, 10:09 PM
So you're the reason why this site crashed this a.m.??? ;)Yup. It was me. I packed so many words into the post that the site just couldn't handle it! :)

Wow, long day setting up ours and Intel's booths. Now I only have four words - Double Double Animal Style. If this sounds like a riddle to you, ask a Californian - they'll know just what I mean. Sometimes you just need it. After that, I'll post some pictures! If you like, that is.

Kathi

Paulette
01-04-2011, 10:50 PM
Sweetie a double double is nice but after a long day of booth un-packing I would recommend a 4X4 animal style to quench the testosterone and it will also help you get into a real size like the rest of us. BTW a 0 is not a size o=nothing 4 through 24 now those are real sizes.

PretzelGirl
01-04-2011, 11:20 PM
Okay, no quoting. I have to get to bed sometime. :heehee:

I saw you were at Vegas but didn't realize you did the flying. While I am not at all surprised, I still have one thing to say......YEA!!! Although I would have to admit (and maybe because I don't wear them), but I would be too scared to nap in a wig. Couldn't it get knocked around?

You gotta love Summer (the teller not the season, well okay, the season too). She is just adorable and the queen of accessorizing. I don't think she has anything that isn't for a specific outfit.

So is this trip going to wet your whistle for DLV?

And....are we going to get a story of Kathi strutting around the CES floor? I don't know if time would allow, but I would have to think that would be interesting at least.

Kathi Lake
01-04-2011, 11:52 PM
BTW a 0 is not a size. 0 = nothing. 4 through 24 - now those are real sizes.Well, I never claimed to be a real girl, so why should I be a real size? :)

Still, the double double was enough for me. That and the chili cheese dog and double Big Gulp for an afternoon snack gave me enough energy to go to Fry's and get a card reader. Of course, since I didn't bring a knife (Thanks, TSA!), I got about seven hernias trying to open the blister pack with nothing but a nail file. Still, I'm a resourceful girl, and without further ado, here are some of the pictures I promised.

The first picture is one at the optometrist's office that one of the girls took (the nice and accepting one. I almost asked "Miss Gorgeous/yet Unapproachable Pants" to take it - if only for the "fun factor" but decided that I'd probably get my quota for annoying people later in the day anyway without needing to start early.

The next picture is me in my hotel suite. A girl in the bright lights of Vegas. Does it get any more cliché than that? :)

Next is a picture of me in my travel outfit minus the cover-up sweater. As I said, the sweater was very form-fitting, and the girls seemed to draw some interesting glances - even as small as they are! :)

Finally, the question has to be asked; Overall, was this a good day, and was Kathi a happy girl? See for yourself:

Kathi

Sara Jessica
01-05-2011, 09:33 AM
Look at those smiley pictures, gorgeous...I love it!!! You truly look happy Kathi, kind of like the cat who ate the canary ...or should I say the double-double-animal-style ;). Yep, this California girl knows what you're talking about even if she has never partaken in one. A boring single usually does the trick for me.

Miranda09
01-05-2011, 09:33 AM
Wow Kathi...you look fantastic. Your smile says it all......having a great day. Have fun and stay safe! :)

Sarah Doepner
01-05-2011, 06:02 PM
You don't know how long we've all been waiting for a new extravaganza from you Kathi. And you didn't disappoint. Be careful in Vegas, there is enough there to wear you out if you don't pace yourself. It would be a shame to read "I got up, went to the CES for a few hours. I realized how tired I am, so I got a bite to eat and went back to my room to sleep."

sandra-leigh
01-05-2011, 07:29 PM
I've flown in mixed-gender mode within Canada several times. The only part that nags at me about it is going in to the multi-user men's washroom while wearing an obvious skirt and top (and forms). And even that part I get accustomed to. These days it is just "straight" nightclub mens washrooms that I get concerned about. (Well, that and ones in places where no-one would be around if I needed to scream.)

But going through security and walking through the concourse and boarding and sitting on the plane while mixed gender, I don't have any problem with. The last time that it happened to be a male sitting next to me, he didn't even seem to notice. (Yes, people really can be that self-absorbed.)

Now I fly mixed gender except when someone who doesn't know is going to be meeting me pretty much right off the plane. I will, though, fly mixed gender if I know that I'll have a chance to change before I get to the meeting area. And if I'm making my own way from the airport to where-ever, I'll just stay mixed gender.

Yes, of course, there is a little bit of anxiety associated with doing something unusual and public, but on the other hand, flying in forms (at least!) and obvious female clothes (when possible) relaxes me during the flight. Which is no small thing for someone who has had serious panic disorder. (Let's see... I can take four anti-panic pills, or I can take one pill and put on a skirt. Gee, that's a tough one -- what if someone else on the flight is wearing the same skirt?!)

Maria in heels
01-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Kathi...
All I have to say after reading about your trio to LV is wow! I am glad to hear that you had a great trip, a safe one, and you didn't encounter anyunpleasantries. Wish that i were like you and Kimberly

Kathi Lake
01-06-2011, 03:29 AM
Your smile says it all...Thanks! I have to say, as much as I love dressing and looking this way, how can I not smile?!

It would be a shame to read "I got up, went to the CES for a few hours. I realized how tired I am, so I got a bite to eat and went back to my room to sleep."Well, how 'bout this: I got up, went to CES for a few hours (if your definition of "a few" is more like 16 hours - it's so much raw, unadulterated fun swapping out a kernel and Samba on a device that is supposed to be "production-ready" two weeks ago :)), I got a bite to eat, and am now in my room so I can do it again in about 6 hours. And I do this why? Oh yeah - I'm a geek. :)

Wish that i were like you and KimberlyWell, stop wishing and start flying! It's not as hard as people think. Sure, there is a bit of discomfort, but that is life. Never be the person that says later in life, "if only . . ."

Kathi

helena.gcd
01-06-2011, 05:41 AM
i have seen the pics and you really cute, as you always do.

and although i also have a strong geek side, i'm not asking anything about CES, just keep posting about your girly days!!!

Christie ann
01-06-2011, 09:56 AM
still waiting for a picture of that "Kathi" smile from the show floor

SamanthaS
01-06-2011, 11:51 AM
Great story! Now, where are the "Freakn" pics WOMAN? :)

SuzanneBender
01-06-2011, 12:37 PM
Kathi I wish you would give us the details. Stop holding back girl. :heehee:

You look so happy and radiant in your pictures. As Sara so eloquently puts it a "perfect moment of being." You have wetted my appetite to fly pretty again. I would, but somehow I don't think it would go over as I jump on the helicopter or check in for the freedom flight come leave time. :daydreaming:

Its always so much fun to be out in the world just being you and I must admit you always do it so well. I love your attitude when others question your gender. Gender has nothing to do with it you are just simply you. Thanks for sharing and I am looking forward to your next update.

JamieG
01-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the story, Kathi. You make it all sound so easy. I wish I had the confidence to just get out there in public and express my femme self like you do. So far attending a TG conference and a private TG party at a bar are the closest I've come. Oh, and trying clothes on in a T-friendly consignment store. But that's it. Please keep sharing your stores, and maybe I'll get jealous enough that I'll just have to try it myself! ;-)

Christina Horton
01-06-2011, 01:21 PM
Good to here for you again. As I normally do I scrolled down the page just glancing to see it you have continued your story and you did so I read . I would love to fly dressed but I don't for two reasons. I have no money to take time off work and two , I have no place to go. Would I fly dressed...HELL YES. I would not even think twice about it. I am like you in the way that were almost fearless with it comes to going out into the world. You need to FLY up to Vancouver one day and spend the whole time here and I'll Show you around in my 1980 Corvette. So come on up here or send me a ticket so I can fly there and we can go shopping lol . I hope to read all about it and how you walked up to your Booth and said "Hi guys how is things going without me!" LOL I know you won't but can you imagine how much fun that would be .

cindym5_04
01-06-2011, 02:21 PM
WOW!! What a story! I can't wait to hear more adventures from the rest of the week!!

NV Susan
01-06-2011, 03:05 PM
OMG Kathi, I so much enjoyed your story and pictures. After living in Vegas for 12 years I miss it so much. :daydreaming:
I'm glad you are at the Wynn as it's such a wonderful hotel. Have you had any luck in the casino, or have you been stuck at the convention center too much to find time to gamble. I always had fun gambling en femme, and I seamed to win more often when dressed. :)

Daenna Paz
01-06-2011, 03:35 PM
The smiles say it all ... :daydreaming:

Kate Lynn
01-06-2011, 06:17 PM
In 08 while changing flights at Denver airport,I learned,don't try to hurry to a gate in heels,hurry to the gate in flats,take flats to change into if having to run across the entire terminal to catch a flight,if that made you chuckle,you should have heard the TSA guys rude comment that got him fired.

Christina Horton
01-06-2011, 07:50 PM
,if that made you chuckle,you should have heard the TSA guys rude comment that got him fired.

what was it?

Michelle.M
01-06-2011, 10:22 PM
Wow, Kathi, this is the BEST story! Makes me want to pack my lipstick and buy a ticket to Vegas right now!

Rachel Morley
01-06-2011, 11:00 PM
Wow! ... what an adventure! I really enjoyed reading it. Love the pix too. I'm looking forward to the next installment :)

Kathi Lake
01-07-2011, 02:23 AM
. . . where are the "Freakn" pics WOMAN? :)Pics of me at CES? Not sure I'm gonna do that. Maybe Sunday, when the crowds are diminished. For other pictures, scroll up to post #18.

Gender has nothing to do with it you are just simply you.I don't know how to be anything/anyone else, and I'm kinda good at it, so why change? :)

Gender is irrelevant. Sex is irrelevant. What is relevant is, as Sara wonderfully put it, that moment of "being." No matter how my feet hurt. No matter how self-conscious I was, being out among the people dressed exactly as I wanted to be (and it was a double-whammy - not only was I flying dressed as a woman, but I was in a skirt as well! :)). How could I be anything but happy. Was it fulfilling my destiny or something else quite so earth-shattering? No. But those "normal" little moments of being, where you are doing what you feel you were meant to do, are enough for me. Thank you for the 'radiant' comment as well, as one woman told me once after I downplayed my appearance, "You may not feel beautiful on the outside, but you radiate beauty and grace and happiness from deep inside of you. I'm glad the camera captured a little bit of that.

I wish I had the confidence to just get out there in public and express my femme self like you do.Jamie, you most certainly do! Everyone has the confidence inside of them, you just need to let go of what is holding you back - doubt, fear, worry, and more. Once you realize that the world will not end if someone snickers at you, and the pressure to be who you are is more than the pressure to conform, you can and will get out there.

. . . or have you been stuck at the convention center too much to find time to gamble.Oh. My. Gosh! What a strenuous few days this has been! To bed at one or two, up at six, on your feet all day, and then do it again. Sigh.

The smiles say it all ... :daydreaming:As I've said before, what's not to smile about? :)

I'm looking forward to the next installment :)We'll see when I have time for a next installment. Right now, it's time for this girl to get to bed. I will relate one thing, though. Last year, we had some professional presenters in our booth. Thinking that I would never see them again, I showed them pictures of me, and told them of how much fun I had dressing. Well, sure enough, they are both here this year as well. The main presenter greeted me with a "Hello, beautiful!" when she saw me (luckily, out of earshot of the rest of my people). The other presenter and I didn't have much time to talk today until the show was winding down. I remarked to her about our "booth babes' attire this year - slinky cocktail dresses and cute high heels. I guess I had forgotten how much I had told her about Kathi last year, and I mentioned how much pain they must be in at the end of a day in killer heels. She said, "Well, most men wouldn't know, but if I remember right, you are pretty well acquainted with heels, right? I remember your gorgeous pictures from last year. Do you still dress up?" I told her that yes, I certainly did, and in fact I flew to Vegas dressed this time. Her eyes brightened and she seemed incredulous. She asked me how the experience was, and I told her that it was fun, but painful, and related my feelings that even if an outfit is really, really cute with the 4-inch stilettos, it may not be the best travel outfit. She told me next time to just pack some flats in my carryon, so I'll be ready, and that when traveling to a place that is paying her to be glamorous, she was more prone to wearing a hoody and jeans on the flight than anything. I told her that sounded more comfortable, but not nearly as much fun. She said that I was such a princess - which is what she and her friends called a woman that likes dressing up for the sake of being frilly and girly. Heh. Guilty! :)

She asked a few more questions about what I do when I go out - do I go out by myself? With other guys? With other girls? What did I do? I told her that I mostly went shopping. Her eyes got real big and she said, "Oh my gosh - I never realized it - you have to spend twice as much money as other women ("you don't mind me calling you a woman, do you" she said, with a touch on my arm. Mind? Ha! :)). You have to buy men's and women's clothes! I agreed that it was a bit more expensive, but that the extra shopping I got to do made it totally worth it. She laughed at that and said, Wow, you really are a woman." :)

Later, I showed her a picture that was on my Facebook account (the closeup above of me sitting and smiling). I just showed it to her for a few seconds, and tried to change the website before anyone else saw it. She said, "Wait a minute! I want to see it better." After studying it for awhile, she said that I really looked pretty (I think a show attendee heard it, because he looked at her and then at me with a funny expression) and that I looked really, really happy. We talked a bit more, and it was time for me to close up the booth.

So, I will post more as I get the time. I hope this has been a fun post for you. It sure has been a fun time so far for me!

Kathi

Sara Jessica
01-07-2011, 10:16 AM
Alright, I'm getting way behind here. I better start with this fresh post and work my way back, or around and about, as I have time to do justice to a reply.

Thank you for the 'radiant' comment as well, as one woman told me once after I downplayed my appearance, "You may not feel beautiful on the outside, but you radiate beauty and grace and happiness from deep inside of you. I'm glad the camera captured a little bit of that.

This reminds me of those people who have cameras which are supposed to capture ghostly apparitions which of course means you have clearly ascended to yet another level of TG nirvana. This is where the camera is able to capture something as subtle as grace, as captivating as inner beauty. Anyone can put on the trappings of femininity in hopes of achieving a beautiful result but to truly radiate...yes, that's something that does shine through in your pictures, not to mention in your words as you describe these interactions.

Last year, we had some professional presenters in our booth. Thinking that I would never see them again, I showed them pictures of me, and told them of how much fun I had dressing. Well, sure enough, they are both here this year as well.

(the thought which comes to mind comes through in the voice of our friend Veronica M...)

Don't even think otherwise, of course we all knew you'd see them again!!! ;)

And it's really a lesson for all of us. You present as yourself. You are open within the parameters that you feel comfortable with (and even beyond those lines at times). And you are honest. Disclosure to a number of people has never once caused the world to explode.

That said, I was reading on in hopes of seeing that you and your reacquainted friend would be hitting the town, or at least the mall, at some point before your trip is done.

Rachel Morley
01-07-2011, 10:17 AM
She said that I was such a princess - which is what she and her friends called a woman that likes dressing up for the sake of being frilly and girly. Heh. Guilty! :)

I told her that I mostly went shopping. Her eyes got real big and she said, "Oh my gosh - I never realized it - you have to spend twice as much money as other women ("you don't mind me calling you a woman, do you" she said, with a touch on my arm. Mind? Ha! :)). You have to buy men's and women's clothes! I agreed that it was a bit more expensive, but that the extra shopping I got to do made it totally worth it. She laughed at that and said, Wow, you really are a woman." :)

Hi Kathy,

This is the sort of stuff I absolutely love reading! Candid honest accounts of how you interacted with others and what they said back to you. I can just imagine how it was talking with this GG. Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Rachel

Kathi Lake
01-07-2011, 09:50 PM
This is the sort of stuff I absolutely love reading! Candid honest accounts of how you interacted with others and what they said back to you.Well then, stay tuned. After I eat, I will relate my day. Apparently, she woke up at around 4 a.m. with lots of questions about me running through her head. It was a fun day! I'll update soon.

Kathi

VeronicaMoonlit
01-08-2011, 02:21 PM
First off, for those of you expecting a shopping thread, this may not be your cup of caffeinated-beverage-of-choice. Ah well, I'll get there as 2011 sure looks filled with promise so far!

Excellent, must have Kathi Shopping posts in 2011.

So, after asking me what look I was going for today (my reply? ". . . this is probably not what you hear from most guys - make me pretty!" :)).

Ha! You know, I've never had a makeover, but if I do, I will use the same voice I use when I see a cute kitty: "Kitty!" and say "Make Pretty!"

We used my normal Smashbox Camera-Ready foundation, with a new primer - Smashbox's Photo Finish Targeted Pore & Line Primer. It, along with my recent laser work, had the girls there "ooohing" and "ahhhing" at my newly-pretty smooth skin.

Pretty!

She asked me if I was in my new house, where I was going looking so pretty, and told me that, to her, it seemed that I got prettier and more feminine each time I stopped in. Awwwwww. aren't friends - especially the little white lie-telling ones - great?!

That might not be a lie, as you grow more in tune with yourself, you ARE probalby becoming prettier and feminine.

I walked up to the front where one of them said, "That's it! Get this girl a name tag. She's hired!"

Depends on you makeup skills. :-) Lancome SA's say I should be doing their job. :-)

and my friend blurted out, "Oh yeah! You can't go out there just looking like a pretty girl. You have to smell like a pretty girl, too!"

They're right!

She smiled at me, and said that she really liked the difference, and said that if I had the choice, I should dress this way much more often as it "really suited me."

She's right...MUCH more often.

She said, "Women's, right?" and seemed pleased when I said yes. We tried on about two dozen, and finally settled on a pair that looked cute on me as a woman, but could do double-duty when I was in male mode.

That's the way to go.

I drove to the Skycap first, hauled out my suitcase (which seemed almost too heavy for me - must be the skirt and heels sapping my strength - Samson-style! :)),

Heels change your balance and thusly the amount of leverage and force you can apply easily.

She said she finally decided that I was a man, but a very pretty one. I laughed at that and it was our turn to go through the metal detector.

It would be more accurate to say that you're a woman on the inside who disguises herself as a man most of the time.

As she watched me put my necklace back on and fix my hair, she said, "Wow! You've done this a lot, haven't you? You really have the feminine mannerisms and attitude down. Good for you! This world needs more people willing to do what they think is right, and not others." I thanked her and said that I was just me, and it was the only person I knew how to be.

Good for you!

On the way back to my seat, I heard a "Miss!" directed at me. I turned, smile at the ready, and raised my eyebrows in a questioning "How can I help you?" The lady said, "Never mind. Thank you!" and turned to her friend and said "Told you!" Her friend just said, "wowwww."

That would have ticked me off, the whole "ask the transperson a question about the time or whatnot so you can hear the voice to clock them better" is just rude.

They're a simple pair of BCBG classic pumps. I love them because they're not too pointy, not too rounded. They're a pebbled black (I never really liked patent), and have about a 4-inch stiletto heel. They're my main go-to shoes as they go with about any look from casual under jeans to my dressy skirts and dresses.

This is what you need:

http://www.anntaylor.com/p-20787.shtml

or these:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3114289?cm_cat=datafeed&cm_pla=shoes:women:pumps&cm_ite=stuart_weitzman_%27poco%27_pump:312936&cm_ven=Froogle&mr:trackingCode=E7FB08D4-7CC6-DF11-B003-002219319097&mr:referralID=NA

Or the Nine West Nuncio's if you want an in-between heel:

http://www.zappos.com/nine-west-nuncio-black-leather

Finally, the question has to be asked; Overall, was this a good day, and was Kathi a happy girl? See for yourself:

Kathi

Yes, you look very happy...and pretty.

Well, how 'bout this: I got up, went to CES for a few hours (if your definition of "a few" is more like 16 hours - it's so much raw, unadulterated fun swapping out a kernel and Samba on a device that is supposed to be "production-ready" two weeks ago :)),

Why it should be easy! just telnet into it and

apt-get install ./foo.deb

You look so happy and radiant in your pictures. As Sara so eloquently puts it a "perfect moment of being."

What she said.

Gender is irrelevant. Sex is irrelevant.

You will be assimilated.

Thinking that I would never see them again, I showed them pictures of me, and told them of how much fun I had dressing. Well, sure enough, they are both here this year as well.

Ha ha ha ha...I knew you would see them again. Mind powers....I am the eye in the sky, maker of rules...I can read your mind. I'm so happy you get to hang out with them again.

The main presenter greeted me with a "Hello, beautiful!" when she saw me (luckily, out of earshot of the rest of my people).

:-)

The other presenter and I didn't have much time to talk today until the show was winding down. I remarked to her about our "booth babes' attire this year - slinky cocktail dresses and cute high heels.

Ooooh!

I guess I had forgotten how much I had told her about Kathi last year,

I hadn't. :-p You told her everything!

I told her that sounded more comfortable, but not nearly as much fun. She said that I was such a princess - which is what she and her friends called a woman that likes dressing up for the sake of being frilly and girly. Heh. Guilty! :)

So true!

Her eyes got real big and she said, "Oh my gosh - I never realized it - you have to spend twice as much money as other women ("you don't mind me calling you a woman, do you" she said, with a touch on my arm. Mind? Ha! :)).

Mind? Ha! You know you could increase the amount of money for the pretty by simply not buying mens clothes. :-)

She laughed at that and said, Wow, you really are a woman." :)

She's right! Yes, she shall be my accomplice in the cheerleading of you.

This is where the camera is able to capture something as subtle as grace, as captivating as inner beauty. Anyone can put on the trappings of femininity in hopes of achieving a beautiful result but to truly radiate...yes, that's something that does shine through in your pictures, not to mention in your words as you describe these interactions.

You is smart. :-) and very insightful.

(the thought which comes to mind comes through in the voice of our friend Veronica M...)

Don't even think otherwise, of course we all knew you'd see them again!!! ;)

ha ha ha ha! you know me (and Kathi) so well.

That said, I was reading on in hopes of seeing that you and your reacquainted friend would be hitting the town, or at least the mall, at some point before your trip is done.

Yes! You MUST go shopping AS KATHI with one or both of them.

Veronica

brmacea
01-08-2011, 02:40 PM
Kathi,
What a pleasure it is to read about your adventures. Have you thought about a career in writing? The humor and confidence, the positive attitude are all so great. The forum is so lucky to have you. Thanks. Long live the Princess!

Kathi Lake
01-09-2011, 01:29 AM
That might not be a lie, as you grow more in tune with yourself, you ARE probably becoming prettier and more feminine.A true possibility, and one I hadn't thought of. Gulp!

Heels change your balance and thusly the amount of leverage and force you can apply easily.You are such a geek! (You're welcome. :))

It would be more accurate to say that you're a woman on the inside who disguises herself as a man most of the time.That is an apt description. I have some reservations on admitting to it, of course, but, . . .

. . . the whole "ask the transperson a question about the time or whatnot so you can hear the voice to clock them better" is just rude.Honestly? It was her friend's reaction I took with me. The "I told you so" lady? Don't care about her, didn't remember her slight, and honestly couldn't care less. Her friend's reaction - first for actually thinking that I was a woman until proven wrong, and second for the impressed/incredulous/pleased tone of her "woowwwwww" rather than a dismissive one - is the reaction that I will remember.

Have you thought about a career in writing?Oy! That's all I need - another career! :)

No, I am quite happy writing my occasional extra-long posts here. Who needs to be published when you are always assured that your friends are reading?

I'm not sure when I'll write more. I'd like to post about my interactions with the ladies at my booth over the last few days, but to be honest, I can seriously hardly keep my eyes open. I am wiped out. For me, that says much as with my freaky metabolism, I can usually go, go, go, until the end of time. Sigh. Another time, perhaps. Right now, it's time to take my makeup off and head to bed. Nite, all!

Kathi

Kathi Lake
01-09-2011, 06:26 PM
Wow, here I am at the gate in Vegas, so my post won't be as long as others (Careful! I can hear you scoffing!)

How can I possibly distill the last few days' worth of interactions with the ladies in my booth? There were questions aplenty, thoughtful, honest answers, and acceptance abounding. Below are just some of the questions asked, any my responses;

So, how did you decide when to tell your kids? Do they know? I told her that my oldest son knew, and told her this story (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?117371). I said my other kids don't know (to my knowledge), but their own circumstances would determine if and when they are told.

What do you do for, you know (motions to her breasts), your boobs?I told her of my experience with the mastectomy supply store, and all the fun that entailed!

I will add to this post later, as I just realized that I am at the wrong gate. Wow, you'd think my wig was blond, or something!

Kathi

Dahlia T
01-10-2011, 12:21 AM
This is so much fun reading, don't stop now. I think we are all waiting for the next installment of the Adventures of Kathi in the Land of Vegas. I know I keep coming back, looking for something new. You must keep feeding us.

jjjjohanne
01-10-2011, 07:07 AM
Kathi,
I had some similar experiences on my flight. The security line was 10-15 minutes of weaving back and forth. People were free to stare at me and nudge their travel buddies. Everyone was nice, but I felt rather on the spot. The long walk to my gate was easier, but I am sure I walked past 200 people or more. I tried in all of these circumstances to mind my own business and not even look around. I tried to act like I was wearing my man-pants. Later, in the shuttle bus to the parking lot, I helped a mom with a toddler melting down as well. He was producing the tired cry. The dad was on the phone. Mom was embarrassed and tired. I was across the aisle from them. I had expressed some understanding to the mom. Then, I made a few silly faces at the boy. As a toddler will do when a stranger says, "Hello," he calmed down and leaned on his mom. His mom and I spoke very briefly about his age. I was a bit concerned that the parents might not appreciate me interacting with their child at all. But they treated me like I was, a normal person with clothes on.

Kathi Lake
01-10-2011, 02:23 PM
. . . You must keep feeding us.Well then, belly on up to the trough! Here's some more. :)

. . . But they treated me like I was, a normal person with clothes on.Well, that is because you are a normal person, and I'm sure your attitude showed it. Also, you must tell us of your adventure as well!

Well, I made it back to Salt lake alive after an exhausting, busy, exhilarating, fun week. I did make it to my plane on time, even though the gate I was at was totally on the opposite side of the airport from where I thought it was. So, where were we? Oh yeah, the questions! I'll post the questions from both of them, in no particular order. Let's continue;

So, do you and your wife ever go out with you dressed up? I told her that my wife's acceptance level fluctuated from the rare seemingly total acceptance, "That looks cute on you!" to tired grudging acceptance "Oh, you're still doing that?" I said that for the most part, she preferred that I keep it "out of her face" as much as possible. She asked why, as she saw my dressing as a simple expression of who I was. She said that she didn't judge by what was on the outside, but what was inside, and she said she knew that I was a wonderful - and beautiful - person even from her few interactions from me. I thanked her, but said, "Think about this; You come home and your husband has just had a nice hot scented bubble bath where he had shaved all of his body hair off, plucked his eyebrows, did his nails, makeup and hair, had attached artificial breasts, was wearing a beautiful dress and killer heels - ready to go out shopping. What would you think then?" She thought about it and agreed that it would certainly be harder to deal with than she thought. She said that my wife must be a wonderful woman to still love and accept me (she is!), but she said as a woman, that she knew that although this might affect my wife at times, that deep down she knew that she must care and respect me utterly, not only for the person I was, but the fact that she has stayed with me for so long.

Have you ever had any problems from men going out? I said other than some stares, and a few laughs and "Hey baby!" jabs thrown my way, that no one has ever paid much attention to me. I told her how I felt in the airport when I saw men (and women) 'checking me out' or staring. She said, "Remember, I saw your pictures, they weren't staring at you because they thought you were a guy (and here she touched my arm for emphasis), they were checking you out because you were a pretty girl. Welcome to the club, gorgeous! You have a fantastic body - much better than mine (Lies. All lies!), pretty hair and a cute face - so you'd better get used to it" Now that is hard to wrap my head around. I saw my pictures as well. It is still so hard to look in the mirror and not see a guy staring back. I see me - imperfections aplenty.

Are you attracted to men at all? Have you ever, . . . you know, . . . I told her that I was attracted exclusively to women - my wife, in particular, and had no desire to be any other way.

If you could, would you ever want to be a woman? Ah yes, that question. :) I told them that at my core, I sometimes felt that I almost was a woman - at least as much as I could possibly understand, being raised as a guy. They said that they could definitely tell - even without my 'perfect' eyebrows, smooth skin, and great nails - they just knew there was something different about me. One chimed in and said, "I think you're the only guy here that isn't constantly staring at my chest. You actually want to get to know me - and I respect that." I told them that I would most likely never 'transition (I explained what that term meant, when I saw their brows furrow), as I felt that what I would gain would be mean much less to me than what I would lose. I told them that I was me - and that was good enough.

There were more questions, like what brands of makeup I liked (Smashbox, Too Faced, Stila, Urban Decay, etc.), when I started wearing it (my mom's old cake mascara - around 1970 or so), who taught me (earlier, it was me and some girlfriends. Lately, my Ulta friends have helped me get better), did girlfriends ever dress me up (plenty), did I ever get makeovers in public (yup!), favorite fashions, stores, and much, much more! As I said, it was a wonderful time, and I hope to go back next year. I doubt that I'll get to go shopping with them as the main presenter pretty much relaxes in her hotel room at night, and the other one lives locally and goes home to take care of her husband and five year-old. Still, the friendship and acceptance I have had from these women has been priceless.

Now, I'll quickly go over what else went on the last few days;

Thursday was the night of our company party. Obviously, I didn't go dressed, as I came from the booth, and no one knows about Kathi - nor should they. Friday, I decided to go shopping, so I went back, shaved, did my hair and makeup and went for a quick trip out. I wore my baby Phat jeans (oddly, very flattering, as they're made for someone with much more 'junk in the trunk' than I have :)), and a red turtleneck with my typical BGBG 4" pumps. I went to the same White House | Black Market that I did last time, but instead of walking all the way, decided to valet park at the Miracle Mile shops. It's kind of cool to have your door opened for you and girlishly slide out of the car to the looks of others. The lady that was so helpful last time wasn't in that night, but the women that were there were still eagerly helpful. Hey, a sale is a sale, right? I tried on a few things, but oddly enough, nothing caught my eye enough to pay for. Most of the collection out now is targeted to Spring/resort wear. They told me that they have a lot of new classic and cute office wear coming soon, so be sure to stop by in a week or so (oh, I will - believe me! :)).

I walked around the mall to, again, a confusing lack of stares. People would look at me and then go about their business. Gotta love Vegas, where the men are men - and so are the women! :)

Saturday, I was going to paint the town red. I had brought the perfect outfit and everything - perfect Vegas chic (a black pair of classy leggings, and a new top that was form-fitting on the bottom, but blousy on top in a pretty and wild print), but I was just too tired by the time I got back to the room. Right after I left the show, I stopped off and got a manicure since I had grown my nails quite long. I walked in and asked if there was time for a walk-in. She said "Full set? Sure! We have time, as long as you're gonna do acrylic and not gel." I told them that is was just a shape and polish. She said, "No problem! Sit down, sweetie!" and started to work on my nails. The lady on my right wasn't too chatty, but the gorgeous girl on my left - she was a Chatty Cathy (actually, Chatty Caterina, as she had arrived from Russia a few years back). She was getting acrylics done, but kept commenting on my nails, saying she wished she had pretty nails like me. I told her to maybe take a break from the acrylics every now and then, and let her nails strengthen. She agreed, but said they got so brittle. I reminded her that she lived in a desert, and especially in the winter, nails needed lots of care. She agreed, and said that acrylics were easier.

Later, when we were both under the UV table, we talked more about what she liked to do, and what clubs she liked to go to. She named a few clubs, and said that she really like sushi. She then looked at me in that way, and said what she was really in the mood for was a few rolls and a roll, with a flirty smile. Wow, how direct. :) I knew exactly what kind of 'roll' she meant, and quickly deflected it by asking if she was able to find nice guys in the clubs. She crinkled her nose and said that Vegas had no nice guys. I wanted to tell her to maybe set her standards a bit higher, but left it unsaid. :) With her nails dry, and knowing that I wasn't going to be her sugar-daddy to the clubs tonight and 'a roll and a roll', she left with a touch on my shoulder and a "stay beautiful!"

When my polish was dry, I gingerly fished my keys out of my pocket (Dang! I usually fish my keys out when I pay and before polish). Since I had spent a lot of time under the UV lamp, my polish stayed intact. I went to my hotel room, ensuring that my fingers were wide out on display (yes, I am an exhibitionist. Why do you ask?). When I made it to my room, I shaved and sat down at the vanity, did my eyes, . . . and just flumped. I knew I couldn't possibly do much more tonight - especially dance the night away on 4-inch stilettos. Sigh. I instead called in a to-go order to Zoozacrackers - the deli downstairs - for a corned beef sandwich. I didn't feel like taking my eye makeup off right then, so I added some blush, lipstick and gloss, put in my pearl earrings, and went downstairs in 'mixed mode.' Again, I figured that any others in my company would already be whooping it up and out of the hotel, and it's Vegas. A skinny guy with prettily made-up nighttime eyes, glossy lips and earrings? Small potatoes. :)

I got a few odd glances, but everyone soon went about their business, and I went upstairs to eat my sandwich, have a nice long soak again with the sugar scrub/bath oil (my skin still feels soft days later!), and flump into bed. I knew that tomorrow, since I had the day off from the booth and was flying out, I would be going to the show dressed and flying home pretty. I'll tell you more about that in the next post.

Kathi

ChanDelle
01-10-2011, 11:42 PM
Kathi, thanks for sharing. You look gorgeous, by the way!!!

ChanDelle

Kathi Lake
01-11-2011, 03:00 PM
You look gorgeous, by the way!!!Why thanks, ChanDelle! Your, . . . ummmm, . . . shoe . . . looks gorgeous as well. (hint, hint - get some pretty pictures - of yourself - up here, girl! :))

Well, let's see if we can close this post! When we left our heroine, she was enjoying a pastrami sandwich in her room, trying not to destroy her pretty manicure. We join her now;

So, there I was - my last night in Vegas, and too pooped to go out on the town. Can you say "bummer?" Good! Can you say "Wasted opportunity?" I knew you could! :)

Sighing, I started packing, but chose the outfit that I would wear walking around the show the next day. Again, I would wear my Baby Phat jeans, but with my new red turtleneck and my reliable BCBG pumps - casual, but cute and chic. I went to sleep knowing that the next day would be a big adventure being seen by literally tens of thousands of people. It made me pucker for a bit, but I knew I could do it (for those of you confused on this whole 'puckering' thing - it's like this; A friend tells you that they were riding their bike and they fell off and scraped most of their elbow off on the asphalt. As you think about this, what are your nether regions doing right now in sympathy? That's puckering. :)).

That night, I had a dream. For those that don't know, I am chairman of deacons at a large church nearby. We're having what I call The Absolutely Last Christmas Party Ever in late January at my house. I dreamt that I had showed up, and had forgotten that I had just had a manicure. I tried to hide my pretty hands, and even went hunting for my nail polish remover, but couldn't find it. That dream gave me pause, wondering if somehow I thought that I'd get 'caught' while walking around or flying home. Knowing that I was the only one from my company on my flight, and not being a very bright individual, I decided to go anyway. :)

I shaved closely, attached my forms (my, how I love that feeling!) put my clothes on, and sat down at the vanity. I did my eyes (not as dramatic as the night before, of course), primer, foundation, powder, blush, had lined and filled in my lips - was essentially in the home stretch, just missing gloss - and my phone rings; "We have a problem at the booth. We know you're not working today, but you're the only one who can help! Get here now!" Gulp!

Did the thought go through my mind to just go for it - consequences be damned - and show up as Kathi at the booth? I know the ladies I talked with throughout the week sure wanted me to! They knew I was going to be walking the show that day, and had asked me to come by the booth, saying that no one would ever recognize me. We settled on having lunch together instead. So, with a heavy heart, I removed the makeup as best I could, and the polish as well. I put on my boy jeans and a sweater, grabbed my luggage, checked out and boogied o the convention center.

When I got there, One lady looked surprised to see me, and the other looked disappointed that I wasn't dressed as Kathi. I came close to them and said, "Apparently there is a problem at the booth, and they needed me. Look closely - is all my makeup off? They looked at my face and said that the foundation was gone, but it still looked like I was wearing eyeliner, eyeshadow, and mascara (but your eyes look really pretty that way!), my lips were still 'sparkly' under the bright lights, and I had done a terrible job removing my polish. I shrugged my shoulders, thinking, "it is what it is." They said that they didn't think any guys would look closely enough to notice (or even know what to look for, they giggled), but to stay away from any women, as they would spot it instantly.

So, I started work on the issues in the booth. Of course, once I got it going, I was roped into giving about three press interviews since "He really knows all about the product" and about 7-9 customer demos. The ladies said I was sweet to come back and help, and were sorry I wasn't going to go home dressed. One said that at least I would be more comfortable than her, and pointed to her shoes. Every other day at the show she wore flats. I asked her why the heels (very cute, by the way), and she said that all our talks of our love of shoes made her embarrassed. She said that if I could wear stilettos around, then she certainly could. She jokingly thanked me for reminding her that she was a girl. I said good bye to both of them (I'm sure the other guys in the booth wondered why they hugged me - a lowly geek - when they were mighty marketing-types :)) promising to keep in touch, and was off.

As I was leaving, the booth coordinator ran to me and thanked me profusely for helping them out. It's funny - you could tell the exact moment that she noticed the eye makeup. Her speech faltered for a moment, and I could track her eye movements going from one pretty eye to the next. I just gave her my prettiest, sparkliest smile, laid on the charm, and told her that I was happy to help, and that a geek's work was never done. Her smile seemed to say that my secret was safe, but that we would talk in the future. Gee, can't wait. :)

So, I stopped by Fry's (the mother of all electronics stores - really!) as my wife had asked me to pick her up some headphones for her aging iPod mini (1st generation!). As she was taking care of the kids by herself, and working an data-collection for her latest research, I thought she deserved a little treat, so I picked up one of the new iPod nanos (I gave it to her saying, "Here's your headphones - oh, there's an ipod attached to them as well." :)).

I drove to the rental car place and shuttled to the airport. Once I got to the right gate (I transposed my flight number with the gate number. Doofus.), I saw two guys from my company, who were there trying to get on my earlier flight. SO, I guess it was a good thing that I didn't dress. I'm not one for believing much in dreams, but this time I probably should have listened.

Once I got my bag, the first thing I did was to get my girly jacket out of my suitcase. It was cold here in Utah! I got a few glances on the shuttle, but not nearly as many as when I fished my gloss out of my bag and applied a coat. I'm sorry, but I just love freaking people out. You get soooo many different reactions - from the baffled husband/smiling wife to the raised eyebrows of a grandfatherly type, to a young girl who took hers out, smiled at me, and freshened her lips up as well. Life is just so fun when you do what you want to do, isn't it?

Hope you enjoyed my latest adventure. Again, I hope that all of the details didn't leave your head spinning. There was soooo, sooooooo much more, but if I included them all, I would wear the letters off my keyboard.

Kathi

Sara Jessica
01-11-2011, 03:12 PM
That most unpleasant of feelings, when the stars seem to be aligning in our favor, only to have something come up and conspire to take it away. The feeling that I get when that happens, albeit it happens rarely, is something I'm feeling at this very moment for you having read this last post.

And wow, the places you go, the people you see, the things you dare to do...I can't help but think you are light years ahead of the most I might consider doing short of full-on coming out. Still, my head says you made the right decision in taking off the girl while my heart says...well, you know ;)!!!

As I was leaving, the booth coordinator ran to me and thanked me profusely for helping them out. It's funny - you could tell the exact moment that she noticed the eye makeup. Her speech faltered for a moment, and I could track her eye movements going from one pretty eye to the next.

The moment...it's something my friend Diana calls the "a-ha" moment. Totally thought of her when you described this interaction. Can't wait to hear about the next time the two of you talk.

BTW, given the wasted opportunity you describe, well there's this little event coming up in Vegas in early April...aw never mind, I won't bug you!

Christie ann
01-11-2011, 03:32 PM
When I got there, One lady looked surprised to see me, and the other looked disappointed that I wasn't dressed as Kathi.

It's funny - you could tell the exact moment that she noticed the eye makeup.

but I just love freaking people out. You get soooo many different reactions - from the baffled husband/smiling wife to the raised eyebrows of a grandfatherly type, to a young girl who took hers out, smiled at me, and freshened her lips up as well.

Kathi

So Kathi, between these stories and the neighborhood pilot wives...who are you not out to? I so enjoy your stories, please don't stop letting us know what is going on in your life.

Catina
01-11-2011, 04:05 PM
Hiya Kathi,
Great story and filled with lots of fun! In your last message to me (commenting about my day as "Executive Lady" at a local tech conference) you had mentioned your upcoming plan to be a "Booth Babe" at CES and I am just delighted to enjoy your sharing of that experience. I also look forward to enjoying descriptions of your experiences on the expo floor. What was it like for you to interact with visitors at your expo booth? My own experience was thrilling enough but I mostly blended in with the mass of people that attend workshops and expo events, however, your experience put you right in the spotlight of affirmation and validation of who you are! I would love to meet you sometime at a tech event and spend a special "Girls time out" for coffee, tea, or something ...stronger.... We could entitle our story as "When Booth Babes Meet Expo Babes" ;-) Hugs, Catina

helena.gcd
01-11-2011, 04:31 PM
great story!!!
i'm sorry that you couldn't fly back home "enfemme" but i'm some way, you were lucky enough that you weren't called 1 hour later, when you would have been already at the booth, but dressed completely as Kathy and having a little girly chat with the girls.

that would have been a much difficult situation with no easy way out!!!

P.S: just for the record..... boys some times do notice some make up................... a year or so ago, i was paying a football match (aka soccer ) just after spending that afternoon dressed, and one of my buddies says: hey! what have you done with your eyes? there's something about them...... i didn't know what to say for a second..... but then i tell something that it must be the anti-aging cream that i was using, that it puts some weird look after you apply it for a couple of hours if you don't blend it well.

and that was all, nothing else was ever mentioned...... at least till today.

PretzelGirl
01-11-2011, 09:38 PM
BTW, given the wasted opportunity you describe, well there's this little event coming up in Vegas in early April...aw never mind, I won't bug you!

Do it! :cheer:

So Kathi, between these stories and the neighborhood pilot wives...who are you not out to? I so enjoy your stories, please don't stop letting us know what is going on in your life.

Ooooohhhh Kathi! Someone is keeping notes on you. Good ones it seems too!

Rachel Morley
01-11-2011, 10:59 PM
Awesome story! Thanks again :)

TxKimberly
01-11-2011, 11:36 PM
. . . This time due to my inexperience, I kind of shrunk into myself . . .
Really? REALLY?! You spent the entire day chatting it up with everyone, being very open and forthcoming about what you are, and you feel like you were "Shrunk into yourself". . . Lady, it sounds to me like you were a veritable social butterfly! lol
Apparently you didn't read any of the posts I made offering advice on flying pretty, because over and over I warned people to be SURE that their shoes were gonna be comfortable enough for a long day with a lot of walking! LOL
I DO believe you about those shoes by the way. My two most comfortable pair of shoes are 4 inch stilettos too.
I have driven through Vegas countless times but never spent any time there, and definitely not as Kim. :(
I would sure love to though and I hope that you have a ball!

Kathi Lake
01-12-2011, 12:58 AM
. . . Lady, it sounds to me like you were a veritable social butterfly! lolWell, Kim - that's just it. For me, that level of reduced interaction was shrinking into myself. When I'm comfortable, I am talking to everyone! No one is ever left out of a conversation. I am a social animal. Why do you think that they fly me - our company's über-geek - to CES? Because I can not only speak fluent geek to the technical elite, but I can usually charm the masses better than our marketing weasels. Our PR people (heck, even our CEO) basically lead the people to me, step back and let me go! :)

. . . over and over I warned people to be SURE that their shoes were gonna be comfortable enough for a long day with a lot of walking!A long day of walking, yes. I can comfortably spend all day clicking around the tile floors of a mall carrying multiple shopping bags in these wonderful shoes. All day trudging through airports with my laptop bag, purse, and a large suitcase with heavy devices (and not a few clothes!) that has the older tiny wheels? Not so much. :)

Kathi

TxKimberly
01-12-2011, 12:48 PM
. . . A long day of walking, yes. I can comfortably spend all day clicking around the tile floors of a mall carrying multiple shopping bags in these wonderful shoes. All day trudging through airports with my laptop bag, purse, and a large suitcase with heavy devices (and not a few clothes!) that has the older tiny wheels? Not so much. :) . . .

LOL I hear ya sister, I hear ya!

SuzanneBender
01-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Dear Kathi you made one week of this ohhhh so slow year fly by (pun intended) for me. I am sitting here listening to Michael Buble, sipping my twinnings English tea with a huge smile on my face and a warm glow in my heart.

I feel this way not because of your fabulous tales of shoes, fashion, nails or makeup. We know that your sense of style and class go almost unmatched. I am smiling because the lady known as Kathi truly knows how to make her way in the world, knows who she is and is at peace with that role in the world.

Your comments and conversations that you shared with us are proof that you are you. You love and accept who you are and the world follows suit. Your post is a testament to the fact that the world would be such a better place if we didn't have to be a woman and we didn't have to be a man. Perfection is just being a person expressing themselves regardless of gender.

You said that the time we get to express who we are is not an earth shattering moment of destiny. I think perfect moments of being are our destiny. I think you know this deep down inside because you display it with a comfort and confidence that warrants applause or at least a hug.

...I can't help but think you are light years ahead of the most I might consider doing short of full-on coming out. Still, my head says you made the right decision in taking off the girl while my heart says...well, you know ;)!!! Sara you are right our heart never wants to take off the girl, but do we really ever take it off? Especially Kathi, because she sure sounds like she hasn't perfected the art of the emergency female jettison. I just think her heart wasn't in it. :heehee:

BTW, given the wasted opportunity you describe, well there's this little event coming up in Vegas in early April...aw never mind, I won't bug you! I know its boorish to invite ones self and I can't make it for this years event. Do you two think we could work out a girls trip for 2012. It would give me almost 6 months to re perfect my shopping skills and work on getting over my PDWSDD...(Pretty Dress While Shopping Distraction Disorder). I have a lot of work to do in order for me to keep up with you two! :hugs:

Kathi thanks again for sharing this tale. I know you enjoy telling it, but we enjoy hearing it even more. :daydreaming: Ohhh and I know that you enjoy us enjoying you telling us of your adventures and your enjoyment brings us more joy which I know brings you more joy which makes us....Ohhh heck I cant wait for the next Ms. Lake adventure.

Sara Jessica
01-13-2011, 09:57 PM
Dear Kathi you made one week of this ohhhh so slow year fly by (pun intended) for me.

Kathi, we owe it to Suzanne to keep the faith and do our part to keep her spirits afloat during the coming year. I know you're up for the challenge, as am I. Anything for a dear friend.

Sara you are right our heart never wants to take off the girl, but do we really ever take it off? Especially Kathi, because she sure sounds like she hasn't perfected the art of the emergency female jettison. I just think her heart wasn't in it. :heehee:

No, we don't take it off because she's always there. How can we describe it? Full time at heart, part time in presentation? Regardless, these little exposures of our inner beings can be most difficult, mostly because, speaking for myself, i'm not so sure my inner circle is ready for this side of me. Yet the elephant in my room remains very well fed and groomed. She is becoming more vocal and way too pretty for her own good.

So I do stand by Kathi's decision to take off the outer shell despite how much fun it would have/could have/(perhaps) should have been. The shockwaves would have reached the home front and that might not have been so good.

I know its boorish to invite ones self and I can't make it for this years event. Do you two think we could work out a girls trip for 2012. It would give me almost 6 months to re perfect my shopping skills and work on getting over my PDWSDD...(Pretty Dress While Shopping Distraction Disorder). I have a lot of work to do in order for me to keep up with you two! :hugs:

Ummm, yes, I know we can work it out for 2012. And don't even worry about getting over PDWSDD, it comes over me at times as well. Now if Kathi commits....holy $@*# (emphasis on the "$") ...Vegas, look out!!

MonicaTC
01-14-2011, 07:45 AM
Thank you so much for this story, Kathi. I think this quote will be the biggest inspiration for me.

Monica

Gender is irrelevant. Sex is irrelevant. What is relevant is, as Sara wonderfully put it, that moment of "being." No matter how my feet hurt. No matter how self-conscious I was, being out among the people dressed exactly as I wanted to be (and it was a double-whammy - not only was I flying dressed as a woman, but I was in a skirt as well! :)). How could I be anything but happy. Was it fulfilling my destiny or something else quite so earth-shattering? No. But those "normal" little moments of being, where you are doing what you feel you were meant to do, are enough for me.

Kathi

Kathi Lake
01-14-2011, 02:43 PM
. . . sipping my Twinings English tea with a huge smile on my face and a warm glow in my heart.English Breakfast? Earl Grey? Which is your favorite? My wife loves the stuff! Me? I think it tastes like weed water. The only tea I'll drink is sweet tea. I dump so much sugar into it that my wife calls it 'brown Kool-Aid." You almost need an insulin chaser with it. Ah well, such is the life of a human hummingbird. :)

I am smiling because the lady known as Kathi truly knows how to make her way in the world, knows who she is and is at peace with that role in the world.Awwwww. It only took me 47 years or so to learn to be that way. Sure, there are times when I may want a bit more, but those have diminished while the contentment with my current situation increases.

You love and accept who you are and the world follows suit.Well, it had sure better accept me! :) It's true. I realized that to truly love others, I must first love myself. That was hard after a lifetime of rejection and humiliation.

You said that the time we get to express who we are is not an earth shattering moment of destiny. I think perfect moments of being are our destiny. I think you know this deep down inside . . .I do. Being me just comes naturally, I guess. Good thing, too! :)

Kathi, we owe it to Suzanne to keep the faith and do our part to keep her spirits afloat during the coming year. I know you're up for the challenge, as am I. Anything for a dear friend.You know it, sister! operation Personal Reminder of Everything That The Young Lass needs (Operation PRETTY Lass) is so on! Suzanne, you have people here that will constantly reminding you that you are in our hearts, and reminding you one reason why you fight. :)

She is becoming more vocal and way too pretty for her own good.Like I said before, I wouldn't mind the elephant in the room so much if only she didn't incessantly belt out showtunes!

Thank you so much for this story, Kathi.Monica, I'm so glad that you found something worthwhile amidst all the flotsam and jetsam and tales of shopping, flying, and other boring stuff. :)

Kathi

busker
01-14-2011, 11:03 PM
Kathi, you are an amazing person and a very skilled writer as well. I do hope that you are keeping a diary. Your life could be a significant example for countless thousands who for lack of your courage sit in their rooms filled with longing and hope. It could be the book that lauched a CD revolution in America.
Well, reading your life adventures is like watching a good movie--you wonder where the time has gone, and are truly sad that there isn't more (at least for now). I did read this all in one go. You have a really great narrative gift and it shouldn't go to waste.
I look forward to more. It goes without saying that your pictures are amazing. It looks as though you've done this before.

Sara Jessica
01-15-2011, 10:01 AM
So last night I'm sitting in a Starbucks reading this, wondering what everyone is thinking as I absolutely cracked up when I read this...

You know it, sister! operation Personal Reminder of Everything That The Young Lass (Operation PRETTY Lass) is so on! Suzanne, you have people here that will constantly reminding you that you are in our hearts, and reminding you one reason why you fight. :)

Operation PRETTY Lass it is!!! So let this segue into a little message for Suzanne. Diana walked in as I was reading Kathi's post and she sends her heartfelt greetings and well wishes.

Like I said before, I wouldn't mind the elephant in the room so much if only she didn't incessantly belt out showtunes!

Isn't that a pain? She's not only there but she can be really loud sometimes. I'd sigh but she's my elephant and I have no choice but to take full responsibility for her.

...It could be the book that lauched a CD revolution in America.

I can see it now, the WH/BM internet sensation who was unfairly denied the grand prize to best-selling authoress, Kathi Lake, next Oprah!!!

Kathi Lake
01-15-2011, 11:27 PM
Your life could be a significant example for countless thousands who for lack of your courage sit in their rooms filled with longing and hope.Busker, everyone has the voice of courage inside of them. Everyone. We all also have the voice of fear inside of us as well. What we need to do is choose which voice to listen to. I've never been a fan of self-help books, as all they really do is tell you what you already know. So writing, for me, is out. As my daughter today told me as she groaned at one of my latest puns, "Dad, not everyone always laughs at your jokes." I said, "Kate, that doesn't matter to me. I'm not trying to make the world laugh. I'm trying to make me laugh. If someone else finds humor in it, then more's the better!" The same can be said of this. I'm not trying to impress people here with my little trips, I'm trying to impress me. If someone else finds a little encouragement (or humor) along the way, more's the better. :)

It looks as though you've done this before.Dressed? Yeah, maybe once or twice. :)

I can see it now, the WH/BM internet sensation who was unfairly denied the grand prize to best-selling authoress, Kathi Lake, next Oprah!!!Do I have to go on Oprah?! She strikes me as a tiny bit egotistical. I mean, it's one thing to have your own magazine, but to be on every cover?! Hmmmm, hubris, anyone?

Kathi

TxKimberly
01-15-2011, 11:51 PM
Busker, everyone has the voice of courage inside of them. Everyone. We all also have the voice of fear inside of us as well. What we need to do is choose which voice to listen to. I've never been a fan of self-help books, as all they really do is tell you what you already know. So writing, for me, is out. As my daughter today told me as she groaned at one of my latest puns, "Dad, not everyone always laughs at your jokes." I said, "Kate, that doesn't matter to me. I'm not trying to make the world laugh. I'm trying to make me laugh. If someone else finds humor in it, then more's the better!" The same can be said of this. I'm not trying to impress people here with my little trips, I'm trying to impress me. If someone else finds a little encouragement (or humor) along the way, more's the better. :)

Dressed? Yeah, maybe once or twice. :)

Do I have to go on Oprah?! She strikes me as a tiny bit egotistical. I mean, it's one thing to have your own magazine, but to be on every cover?! Hmmmm, hubris, anyone?

Kathi

Kathi, I kid you not - I REALLY like you! LOL

busker
01-16-2011, 01:29 AM
self help. it could be the adventures of.... It could also be informative reading for the general public. Dare I say , a learning tool. In any case, we all enjoy your travels and narratives, so keep writing here anyway.

Kathi Lake
01-17-2011, 03:52 PM
Kathi, I kid you not - I REALLY like you! LOLAnd I like you, Kim!! Every time I see your signature, "Howdy, damn it!" it just cracks me up! I can totally imagine you saying it to someone who is, shall we say, 'less then impressed' by your Kimberly-ness. :)

. . . It could also be informative reading for the general public. Dare I say, a learning tool.All right! I'll think about it, OK? :)

Kathi

faltenrock
01-26-2011, 07:38 AM
well done Kathy, great story. It seems very interesting how different our experiences can be. I was on an airplane only one time, that was in November 2010, a flight from Orlando to DC. I can relate to most of what you said - sorry, I just couldn't write so many details as you did. Prior to fyling, I've had so many experiences out & about, and of course, TxKimberly gave me some advices beforehand.
To me, it was fairly intersting to watch that people didn't really take too much notice of me, I didn't feel like I had to explain anything to anyone. It was just me at the airport and on the plane. Obviously I stood out a bit, wearing a black pleated mini skirt and and businesslike - but sexy - outfit with high heels. I could sware, many people didn't even realize my real me.

Guess I'll do this again very soon....
Guess

Toronto Kristen
01-26-2011, 08:36 AM
Kathi,

I loved reading the adventure. It gives those of us who are still in the early stages of the journey, the reassurance that going public is not as bad as we fear.

Kathi Lake
01-26-2011, 05:35 PM
. . . sorry, I just couldn't write so many details as you did.Don't be sorry. I'm the verbose freak! :)

Seriously though, next time you do fly, be sure to tell us all about it! Sharing our adventures is a big part of the support this place provides to us all.

. . . It gives those of us who are still in the early stages of the journey, the reassurance that going public is not as bad as we fear.Explorer, it's not as bad as we fear (is anything ever?). Honestly, I've had nothing but positive responses - and this is Utah!

Kathi

Cathypb
03-12-2011, 02:42 AM
You going to be a booth babe at next year's show?? Stillettos for 8 hrs on an exhibit floor would be a killer!

Kathi Lake
03-13-2011, 01:25 PM
You going to be a booth babe at next year's show?? Stillettos for 8 hrs on an exhibit floor would be a killer!Booth babe, yes. Stilettos, no. Sure, we have thick carpet and nice padding, but I don't think that stilettos would be good for that long. Plus, I don't believe that my company is ready to be represented by Kathi just yet.

Kathi

Sara Jessica
03-13-2011, 02:03 PM
Plus, I don't believe that my company is ready to be represented by Kathi just yet.

With the operative word being yet.

Just sayin' :)

Kathi Lake
03-16-2011, 10:16 PM
With the operative word being yet.You know, it's odd. It's a large company (and by large, I mean around 50,000). They have Diversity Days, Diversity Councils, Diversity-Everything. Yet I have to wonder, how would they take diversity that so diverse (at least in today's society), that even they have to step back and go, Hmmmm."

All I know is that I love my job and I'm not about to risk it. If that makes me a coward, then so be it. The revolution will have to do without me.

Kathi

Sara Jessica
03-16-2011, 10:20 PM
I would never suggest you would, could, or should risk anything. Well, maybe could because any of us could do anything we please. I go back to your family as the touchstone for all things Kathi. You have balance that many of us on the middle path can only dream of. I think of crossing lines that could upset that balance. Less worried about work, more concerned about keeping the home-fires burning brightly.