PDA

View Full Version : Shame, fear, courage, and connection

makin' it real
01-08-2011, 04:32 AM
Hi all. I’m not sure how to talk about the things that are moving in me right now, but I really want to try.

I watched a TED talk by Brene Brown at http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html. I love these talks, and this one had me crying a couple times right off the bat, because I recognized myself in what she says. Early on she says:

“Shame is really easily understood as the fear of disconnection. Is there something about me, that if other people know it or see it, that I won’t be worthy of connection. The things I can tell you about it, it’s universal. We all have it. The only people who don’t experience shame have no capacity for human empathy or connection. No one wants to talk about it, and the less you talk about it the more you have it.”

“What underpinned this shame, this ‘I’m not good enough’, which we all know that feeling. ‘I’m not “blank” enough.’ ‘I’m not thin enough, rich enough, beautiful enough, smart enough, promoted enough.’ The thing that underpinned this was excruciating vulnerability. This idea of, in order for connection to happen, we have to allow ourselves to be seen, really seen.”

She goes on to talk about the radical courage required to allow ourselves to be seen. The courage required to allow ourselves to be vulnerable. And that that courage, and that vulnerability, are what allow us to experience genuine connection with others, and experience happiness and joy in life.

I have felt ashamed about my crossdressing all my life. I’m 50 now, and have CDed since at least 5 years old. I stole clothes and purged. I sneaked clothes from housemates’ dressers and closets, then hated myself for it. I knew I was deformed somehow, and that no one else was sick the way I was.

So I kept it secret. A hidden, hated, sick part of myself that I knew everyone else would hate too if they knew about it. I had a girlfriend for a few years, starting about 10 years ago, who accepted this part of me more than I did myself. I ended the relationship before we could get married. Fear of something, maybe intimacy, kept me out. Maybe fear of me seeing more of me.

Finally, about a year ago, I realized this CDing wasn’t going away so I might as well accept it. It was actually a little more active than that sounds, because I consciously chose to embrace the parts of me that I had hated for so long. It scared me, but I knew I had to accept all of me or the rest of my life would be lived as a fake, hollow, shell. That’s not okay. I want to fully inhabit my life, and thrive and sing and celebrate all that moves through me.

So I accepted that I have a part of me who feels like a woman, and who feels best wearing women’s clothing. I started buying clothes for me, for her, knowing I’ll not be purging anymore. I started using herbs and creams to feminize my body, so my body could more closely reflect outside how I feel myself to be inside. I know that approach doesn’t work for everybody, but it does for me. That’s not the point. What matters is that I love how my body feels. I love waking up each morning and seeing the extra curves. My body feels great. I love getting dressed each day wearing some or all women’s clothes. I love it, and it feels right.

But recently I’ve been feeling some fear again. My sister is getting married in a couple months. I’ll be seeing family I’ve not seen in years. I’ve decided to delay piercing my ears until after the wedding so I don’t have to explain it to my family. That feels like hiding, and that feels bad. I’ve had thoughts about how my brother and others might compare him and me, since we had been looking more and more alike as we’ve matured. I’m afraid my physical feminization will be noticed in comparison and commented on. Again I want to hide it. A third thing now, I’ve been given a solid opportunity to create a new program at work that I am passionate about. It will have me be very public – media, conferences, leader in the field type stuff – and I wonder if I should come out to my peers now, to avoid any possible fears of exposure later that might threaten the program.

As much as those thoughts have been ringing alarm bells for me, indicating areas where further acceptance is needed, what matters to me even more are direct, loving relationships. I have come out to numerous friends, both men and women, and been accepted. Only one man has reacted with reluctance, but even he remains active in my circle. I’ve had scared reactions inside myself, where I wobble in my self-definition after presenting myself differently to others, but then I find a new balance and keep moving forward.

But I don’t have an intimate, romantic relationship, and that concerns me. I’m watching a movie right now, even after having just seen and cried to this TED talk clip, and I’m looking at the lead character, a physician (someone I can identify with), and I'm experiencing something like shame, an aching inside of “I’ll never be good enough to be held or loved or respected the way he is”.

And the source of that ache inside me is my psychological transgenderism and my blending of the physical characteristics of men and women. I see him wearing a thin shirt in public that I couldn’t wear without a covering or a compressing undergarment. I see in the movie a woman leaning into him for the first time as they dance, and I think how I would have to prepare the woman for the shapes and softness she’ll encounter leaning against my chest. And I think all is lost. I’ll never be able to find someone to love me like that, ever again.

Unless I am willing to be radically vulnerable. The lesson of the TED talk. Unless I am willing to take the risks and let myself be known. All of me. To say this is who I am, I like me, and I am worthwhile just as I am. The only way others can have a chance in hell of accepting me is when I first accept and appreciate myself. It requires that I be willing to not hide me from me, and then that I not hide me from others. Not in a confrontational, in-your-face kind of way, which is actually still a protective posture, but in a more loving, accepting, here is who I am kind of way that genuinely exposes me to the risk of being hurt and the risk of being fully seen.

It scares me to think of that. To think that I am not just like I imagine everyone else is supposed to be (even though I know better). And that’s where the radical vulnerability and radical courage come in. Do I dare to be myself? Do you?

So that’s what is moving in me right now. Thanks for reading through this.

Do we dare?

~Rachel

AllieSF
01-08-2011, 05:21 AM
Wow, what a deep thoughtful and thought out post. I am glad that I know you.

Jonianne
01-08-2011, 05:53 AM
I can relate to so much you spoke about, especially the shame. For me it took years of individual and group therapy to get past much of it. Self-acceptance certainly is an important key. (here is a quote from a favorite psychologist, Dr Joy Browne: http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?84515-Truly-accepting-yourself&highlight=
that I memorized and constantly went over)

Just as you mentioned about as long as we are humans with empathy, I don't think we will ever entirely get away from trying to mask ourselves because we want that connection. I think we can get past 90% of it and for the most part let ourselves be real to those important to us. But there will always be that need to "clean the kitchen" before company arrives. That is just natural. I think it's when we go way out of our way and try to present ourselves as something we are not, that causes the more serious issues.

Sometimes we think ourselves into oblivion, making mountain out of mole hills, that invents far more issues for us than there really are. Also we tend to make things far more complicated than necessary. Try to keep things simple and honest, especially with yourself.

What helped me most out of the depression I was in, because of my cd'ing, was when it really dawned on me that NO ONE WAS MAKING ME FEEL BAD ABOUT MYSELF, "I" WAS THE ONE WHO WAS MAKING ME FEEL BAD ABOUT MYSELF. When that finally sunk into my brain, that depression lifted and never came back.

Really listening and "letting in" the love, caring and acceptance of others, built that foundation.

BOBBI G.
01-08-2011, 07:19 AM
Just read your post. WOW!!! So much of me could have written what you did had I just had the realization. We have so many similarities and many of the same self doubts. Thank you for posting and sharing. It has opened my eyes and heart to a hidden part of me . I am truely thankful.

Bobbi

Michelle 51
01-08-2011, 07:31 AM
Your post causes one to stop and ponder because it holds so much truth.I think by taking time to write that you've done us a service but you've probably done yourself a service too for when we take time to pen something it makes it a lot clearer.I think a lot but soon after that though is often gone forever but when you put it to ink you can always go back and review it or rethink it.Good work girl
Michelle

SusanCACD
01-08-2011, 07:51 AM
Thank you Rachel, I really do appreciate the effort put forth to try to help others with our own self doubts and happiness, I really took it to heart.

Susan

Steph.TS
01-08-2011, 09:03 AM
at the moment I don't dare, I worry too much about the risk of the consequences. Some one mentioned ways to try to desensitize myself to things that shame me, for instance trying on fem clothing while shopping, suggested going to a dept. store and trying on fem clothing there, I have to think that through...

makin' it real
01-09-2011, 12:50 PM
I can relate to so much you spoke about, especially the shame. For me it took years of individual and group therapy to get past much of it. Self-acceptance certainly is an important key. (here is a quote from a favorite psychologist, Dr Joy Browne: http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?84515-Truly-accepting-yourself&highlight=
that I memorized and constantly went over).
...Really listening and "letting in" the love, caring and acceptance of others, built that foundation.

What a beautiful quote, Joni. Thanks for posting that. And yeah, it's been really hard for me to open my heart and simply allow myself to receive love, caring, and acceptance from others. I get so caught up in thinking I have to do something more for it, or I'll have some of those voices in my head countering the love and acceptance being offered, even as they are being offered. Curiously, I've found I can sometimes turn inside and offer caring and compassion to those naysaying voices. Some have become valuable and loved parts of me now.

I think by taking time to write that you've done us a service but you've probably done yourself a service too... Michelle

Thanks Michelle, and you're exactly right. I was wrestling with these things inside of me and realized I probably wasn't the only one. So I figured I'd write out my struggles as a way to help me work through them, and shared them hoping they might strike a chord in others as well.

Simply being able to identify and name what's going on inside us can help so much, and that's what that video did for me. That's why I wanted to share it. Here's to daring and connection!
:love: :hugs:

With love,

~Rachel

ikthys
01-09-2011, 01:10 PM
I think that most of us know something about the seemingly endless, frustrating, and emotionally taxing cycles of binging/purging. I also think that by adulthood we all have been forced, for the sake of our own mental and emotional health, to seek some kind of path beyond simple suppression. I do believe that shame is a key operator for us as social beings (with its counterpart, honor, sadly left without nearly as much serious treatment anymore), and am impressed by the range and complexity of our responses to it. I think a cd'er very much needs to find some kind of intimate relationship where that shame does not exist. That sphere can be used as a powerful place of discernment, challenge, and growth so that we might rise above what I think is self-defeating cycle of denial. What comes out of such a process... depends on a lot of factors. But I consider myself courageous and daring, even though I don't allow myself expression of my desire. I still face it, overcome the shame internally, and work forward in the best way that I understand how considering all things in life. Thanks for opening up this thread:)

DonnaLynn77
01-09-2011, 01:17 PM
What a lovely and eloquent post. :)

The courage to simply be you (or me, or anyone really) is more frightening than speaking or performing in public, than taking a stance in politics or perhaps especially scarier than just blending in to the background of society. Your observances above remind me that I'm doing the right thing, and that I am not alone in feeling this wobbly new balance of radical vulnerability. (I've also been quietly changing in front of the people around me, and I haven't seen any pitchforks yet haha.) I have, in fact, found that as long as you are open and honest with people about your feelings that no one will knock you down. It's not in our nature to intentionally make others feel hurt. Causing hurt out of our own insecurities and ignorance, well that's another story lol.

The TED topic you referred to has a lot of wisdom that can be applied to many situations, and I will never forget it.

Thank you!
Donna

Gennifer
01-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Rachel,

Thank you. As others have replied, I can relate to so much of what you say, and I appreciate your post. I look forward to watching the TED presentation you mentioned.

thank you, thank you, thank you.

JamieTG
01-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Thank you so much for the wonderful post. It sounds like it was written with me in mind. I have a major event coming up this year that is causing me much turmoil. Its my 40th high school reunion. I live in a different part of the country so I have not seen any of these people since high school. For the past 10 years I've gradually come out and dress full time in an androgonous mode; even at work. Everybody knows what I am and I have not lost a single friend over it. I finally feel comfortable with myself. I had very low self esteem in high school and didn't feel I measured up to everyone else. I want to go to the reunion and I'm tempted to cut my long nails, take of my earrings, let my body hair grow back, and wear masculine clothes. I don't know if I'm strong or brave enough to say the heck with it and go as I am now. I know I'll be disappointed in myself afterwards if I back down and try to present a masculine appearance just because I'm afraid what they will think. The anxiety that this is causing me is ruining what should be a fun occassion.
Jamie

Cheryl James
01-09-2011, 05:44 PM
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. Most, if not all, of the feelings you describe having relate how I have felt and believed about myself all of my life. I just never took the time to sort it all out and put it down on paper. You writing was beautiful and real.

kitchenette
01-09-2011, 05:55 PM
A great post. Your soul-searching and self-discovery are courageous. I followed the link and found the talk so relevant to everything I'm experiencing with my SO, who's a CDer. It also really resonated with me. I'm a pretty happy camper, and my family is always taking me to tasks for my great leaps of faith (been that way all my life), but honestly, they are so rewarding and I just can't be any other way. My SO, on the other hand, carries so much shame, I'm trying to help him get out from under its crushing weight. For me, the experience of discovering my SOs femme side would probably be made considerably easier if he were more self-accepting. We're working on it. Good luck on exploring your vulnerability, and try to pepper it with some good-old fashioned love for yourself - if you love yourself, someone else most surely will, we are our own worst critics, after all.

annabellejorden
01-09-2011, 09:46 PM
WOW.

Your post moved me.

I have been facing some of these issues.

I started feminizing about a year ago. I stoped due to pressure from my kids grandma and mom.

About a week ago, I to decided that I as going to be what I am.

I am restarting the feminazation program.
I have decided that while at home, I am only going to wear my femail clothing.
My kid, who's almost 5, loves that daddy wears a dress.

My kids aunt is comming over latter this evening to drop off some food ( I hurt my leg and need help shopping ).
I am going to tell her and her husband.

Thank you for your post.
It helps to know other face the same fears and uncertinties that I do.

ChristiesGurl
01-09-2011, 10:15 PM
I'm in tears right now... this is so true about so many things in life, not just CD'ing. I'm afraid to be vulnerable and tell the one I love exactly how I feel. I'm afraid of rejection. I don't know if I dare, but I want to... I think about it every day.

Thanks for this post.

Rachel Mari
01-14-2011, 06:10 PM
What you wrote is very enlightening and I've reread it a couple of times. It makes so much sense.

Thank you so much