PDA

View Full Version : Safe places to go out en femme in Fort Lauderdale ...

Elaine Marlowe
01-08-2011, 11:36 AM
Anyone had any recent experience going out en femme in Fort Lauderdale? If so, could you recommend any safe venues? Also, have you been to any stores that cater exclusively to girls like us in the Fort Lauderdale area? I think there's a place in Sunrise ... anyone been there lately?

Kate Lynn
01-08-2011, 11:40 AM
Elaine,I lived in Tampa Florida for 30 years,and used to go everywhere dressed enfemme,as for Fort Lauderdale,it's pretty much a laid back city,I never had any problems when I'd go there,but I left Florida 11 years ago,I'm pretty sure it hasn't changed much,enjoy your visit.

I don't know of any stores there,but there used to be a store in Tampa called the Quibble Shop that catered to us,it was owned by a couple from Grenich Village,they also had a store in New York,I just loved the 60's vintage high heels they carried.

Karen 812
01-08-2011, 02:07 PM
Just pick up several magazines,here in Ft Lauderdale, one called " New Times " the other called " City Link " through out these are locations that are listed by who they serve, usually near the end of the listing as gay, lesbien, or straight. Some have gay/lesbien nights. There is also a kind of nightclub calld " Lips " the address is in these magazines. Lips is a transgender friendly place where the hosstesses, and most of the entertainers are crossdressers or transgender. My SO and I have been there many times with me en femme, usually for my birthday!

Marissa
01-08-2011, 02:10 PM
Hi Elaine... :) sorry that I can't help you in this area, but if you are visiting FL this weekend..welcome to the states..hope you have a great time. If it wasn't for timing, I'd do the 12+ hr drive to visit with ya :) take care...

Soriya
01-08-2011, 07:05 PM
Hi Elaine,

I don't know of any hang outs in genera; however here in Hollywood there is a club called Trixies I believe but not sure if it's even open still. Probably the best place to go safely is Wilton Manors which is part of Ft, Lauderdale and is a gay area. Other then that, being one who has not gone out other then Halloween to Wilton Manors, I have not found any exclusive CD places down here.

Ok, just looked, Trixies is gone but here are two other places.

The Castle Lounge, 1322 North Dixie Hgwy, Hollywood, Florida

and

Trannie Palace Sundays @ Bill's Filling Station, 2209 Wilton Drive, Wilton Manors/Fort Lauderdale FL.

Google them and you will find their sites.

eluuzion
01-08-2011, 08:00 PM
I lived in Lauderdale on/off for a long time. My family had a vacation condo right on the beach (Galt Ocean Mile) since the early 70's. I bought it from them years ago and used to spend a few weeks a year there. Just sold it a couple years ago...:sad: Real Estate took a dive and vice of Miami was finally engulfing it. boo-hoo...:sad:

But hey, the beach is the beach and it is still a fun place! It is not a "trannie/CD" specific place, but my favorite hang-out was always "Shooter's". It is right on the Intracoastal Waterway, just below Oakland Park Blvd. bridge (beach side of the Intracoastal). Sits right on the water and you can dock a boat right there ( on the Intracoastal). Also have water taxi's you can board right there, for a tour around the Intracoastal. Have not been there in a few years, but I have tons of memories of partying that I can't remember...lol. I still wear my hat everyday!

I actually caught a baby sting-ray one time, fishing off their dock! (a no-no, but I was fishing with a "staffer") we just cut the line and flipped it back into the water, lol):D

They have a web-site I think...check it out~!

P/U a local paper or online "paper" for Ft. Laud. Just be careful of the normal dark/isolated spots... there are plenty of hookers/thieves happy to rip you off...just like most tourist cities...

I would give you a few contacts there, but they would just get you in trouble...:heehee:

Have Fun! I MISS THE BEACH !!!! :sad:

:love:

Soriya
01-08-2011, 09:16 PM
Shooters, right next to Charlies Crabs! Love that place, now you have me thinking I need to go soon. :)

Rogina B
01-08-2011, 09:42 PM
You can go anywhere as a T girl,BUT stick to the better parts of town[s].No problem with acceptance around here IN THE RIGHT PLACES like anywhere else.Lips is entertaining for sure..Rosie's in Wilton Manors is a great place to eat[reasonable and good] The Moon Bar is across from Rosies and that is a good place afterwards..But really you can go mainstream and people will enjoy your company.Send me a PM if you are here and want to go out. Have fun,the weather is great.

Michelle.M
01-08-2011, 10:41 PM
Shooters, right next to Charlies Crabs! Love that place, now you have me thinking I need to go soon. :)

Ya know, I was thinking a bunch of us ought to all go and meet up there sometime.

eluuzion
01-09-2011, 02:05 AM

Yep, that's it~! Not sure what it is like these days...been a long time since I have been back to Lauderdale now.

We used to hang out at Pier 66 Marina area too. I loved to eat at the revolving restaurant on top of the hotel...I'm sure it is gone now...what a great icon. 360 rotation was really cool. It is the "mouth" of the Intracoastal Waterway (entrance point where it meets ocean).

I also spent lots of time at the Pier 66 Restaurant-Yacht Club (same location). You could order a greasy burger and eat out on the tiny outside deck (on roof). Then go down and walk the docks at the Marina...and gasp at all of the fabulous yachts ("ships", lol) tied up there. Incredible wealth and awesome , well,, everything...technology, architectural ecstasy and marine wonder... Fun to go at night too...lots of onboard parties, but it is a trick to even get close to walking the docks during those parties...do it anyway...:heehee:

(hey, some of those old beach bars & restaurants still have some of the stained glass shades/artglass (mostly Art Deco stuff) I made for them about 30 yrs ago, back in my "artist" years...!...kewl, eh?) not really now I guess...lol

HaveFun...it is the BEACH...you can't go wrong...drink enough rum and anything becomes fun!!!! hehehehe

Don't leave without finding a "seabean" on the beach (in the seaweed). I still carry mine in my pocket! (looks like a tiny hamburger or a polished mahogany "heart") They are good luck. (whatever that is...lol)

:love:

Soriya
01-10-2011, 05:09 PM
I think Pier 66 is still there. I went there a few years back on New Years Eve. Your art is cool, I am an artist myself. Don't do it for a living, but just a natural born one who dabbles in it from time to time as hobby now.

MichelleP
01-10-2011, 05:35 PM
This probably doesn't help but Orlando has a great LBGT scene (sorry its about 200 miles away). There's a store up there that is not TG friendly - it's TG SPECIFIC called Ritzy Rags. The owner is great. They have CD/TGs visit from all over. Their biggest draw? Getting a wig fitted for you - They have a stylist who will make you look and feel great.

Have fun in Fort Lauderdale!

Pokergal420
01-12-2011, 01:06 AM
Ft. Lauderdale is good but you should stay in the wilton manors area. It is very friendly and open to crossdressers, except for some of the western and bear bars. go to www.gayftlauderdale.com and look at the night life, it even has a description of the places. In my opinion Rosie's is a great place to eat, New moon is an awsome, open and friendly place to go, and Bill's filling station is very friendly any night, not just sundays. If you are looking for a hipper place sunday nights at voodoo lounge.

Sissy_Jenny28
02-01-2011, 02:34 PM
I have been here for years. Still not comfortable in my own skin (or dress). I used to go to Trixies but they closed. Wilton Manors is a great place to hang to. Very nice. Rosies lets everybody in and you will feel right at home.

MiamiMarie
02-01-2011, 02:54 PM
OMG - the Ft. Lauderdale world's your oyster. The entire gay scene has left Miami and moved to Ft. Lauderdale. Now, anytime my husband wants to explore his femme side, we have to schlep on up to Lauderdale.

As far as stores go, try Fantasies in Lace, Inc. at 8412 3608 W. Broward Blvd., Crossdresserswigs.com is based out of nearby town Sunrise and it has a walk-in shop,

But what you really want to do is go up and down North Dixie Hwy, that is where all the gay/TG bars, restauarants, shops, and galleries are clustered. From the GLCC (Pride Center) to the Peter Pan Cafe, which on every third Friday at 9:00 pm is filled with TGs coming out of one of many large TG support meetings held at the pride center.

MiamiMarie
02-01-2011, 02:58 PM
I should clarify that apparently that North Dixie Highway stretch of road is indeed Wilton Manors. Wilton Manors is the place to go for sure.

Stephenie S
02-01-2011, 10:20 PM
Geez, sweetie. I lived in Ft Lauderdale, and just as everyone else says, you can go anywhere you want. Ft Lauderdale is a great place.

There used to be an exclusive CD store down there. This was 15 - 20 years ago. It was called "Fantasies in Lace', I think. Or something like that. I haven't been there in quite a while, so it may be gone.

Stephie

Rogina B
02-01-2011, 10:31 PM
I just entertained one of the forum members in from California the other night at Rosie's in Wilton Manors[been there many times]. She wasn't an out and about girl but I helped make her presentable and she enjoyed dining out enfemme at Rosie's...ALL GOOD. Have another girl coming fromAustralia this week and we will do the same thing...perfect comfortable setting to eat and talk.