PDA

View Full Version : The Erinly way to change a name

Nicole Erin
01-09-2011, 11:54 PM
Well tomorrow, if things go as planned, I get my temp cosmetology license.
problem - the application from the school still has my male name. My soc security and DL have Erin on them.

So I thought long and hard (like maybe 30 seconds) about how to approach this dilemma of informing the state, int he most tactful way possible, of having a new name and THAT is what needs to go on my license. I never really had a chance to change it at school due to time constraints.

So tomorrow, when I beat-bob my ass in there in my most feminine sweats, I am going to tell them why I am there and make this profound speech -

"I had my name changed recently, what is on the ap is my old name. What all paperwork do you need to see?"

And I will say it with the same indifference as if I were telling a cashier, "$30 on pump one".

And there you have it. The nonchalant, Erinly way of doing things. :D
Let me know if you are at a loss for how to handle things of being TG. I am sure I have the best answers. :devil:

Aprilrain
01-10-2011, 12:06 AM
Does Indiana allow you to change your birth certificate? Ohio does not but Kentucky does. I'm just curious.

Schatten Lupus
01-10-2011, 12:16 AM
Indiana does not list gender on the birth certificate, as far as the name I think the full name is changed and no amended but since I am not from Indiana by birth I have only briefly looked at the laws on it once or twice out of curiosity.
But that seems like a very good way to go about it. Why should it be any different than telling the gas station attendant you need money put on whatever pump? Of course it will probably be more complicated than that, but that is definitely the right attitude to have.

Rianna Humble
01-10-2011, 02:41 AM
So tomorrow, when I beat-bob my ass in there in my most feminine sweats, I am going to tell them why I am there and make this profound speech -

"I had my name changed recently, what is on the ap is my old name. What all paperwork do you need to see?"

And I will say it with the same indifference as if I were telling a cashier, "$30 on pump one".

That's a good approach, but might I suggest that you have a copy of your court order with you when you go?

Nicole Erin
01-10-2011, 08:18 AM
That's a good approach, but might I suggest that you have a copy of your court order with you when you go?

Oh yeah of course, proving the old name is now the task...

CharleneT
01-10-2011, 12:39 PM
I carry a copy of the court order for my name change in the glove compartment of my truck (and another in my purse) ... ya never know when it might come up. It did once, when I was pulled over by a cop for a broken tail light - my license tags had not yet come up for renewal and they were still in my old name..... there was no problem at all - and he let me "off" with a warning ;)