PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendation...

Laura_Stephens
01-10-2011, 05:15 PM
I am thinking seriously about HRT, but I understand that I need a therapist to make a recommendation before my doc will prescribe anything.

There are a number of therapists in Cincinnati, but I was hoping that someone here might have some experience that I could lean on.

Thanks in advance.

Jessinthesprings
01-10-2011, 05:34 PM
You might just start at the top of the list and call them all. Express your concerns and desires and pick the one you are comfortable with. In the end you want to achive your goals who it is does not matter. However, you really don't want someone who will sign off on anything, and you don't someone who thinks he/she can cure you.

Billijo49504
01-11-2011, 01:02 PM
If you have insurance coverage, check with them. It could be the case of being free or paying over a hundred Dollars, out of your pocket. If not, do as Jess said, go down the list...Billijo

Stephanie Anne
01-11-2011, 01:13 PM
It goes:

Check list against insurance
Find at least 3 on list
Cal them
Ask if they are experienced in issues relating to gender identity
Make appointment
be honest the first visit
If they don't work, find another person

If you do not have insurance, find someone who works on a sliding scale. They lower their rates sometimes for low income patients.

you have to suck it up and call these people, there really is no way around it.

Billijo49504
01-11-2011, 01:20 PM
:iagree: But you have to realize, the hardest part is making that first call. I carried the number for a week, before I called. Just a thought...BJ

Traci Elizabeth
01-11-2011, 01:54 PM
And trust me, there is NOTHING you can tell them that they have not heard before and they are there to listen, make you feel very comfortable, and help you understand your true feelings not to convince you one way or the other.

Laura_Stephens
01-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the help, everyone.

Regarding insurance, I want to find the right person to work with. If it isn't covered by insurance, then I'll pay out of my pocket (purse).

I am not all that nervous about calling. I saw a therapist many years ago about my youth. I lived in a very violent house. The subject of gender identity came up, but it wasn't her specialty.

I have received a couple of PM's from people who have seen gender therapists in Cincinnati and got some very good thoughts about the local therapists.

Thanks to all -- it is VERY much appreciated.

Jorja
01-11-2011, 06:53 PM
I called a friend in Cincinnati and she recommended this lady
Kayla Springer, Ph.D.
3280 Observatory Avenue
Cincinnati, OH 45208

I can not vouch for her because I have not used her services but I can vouch for my friend.