PDA

View Full Version : Being ma'am'ed in Male mode

carbonara
01-10-2011, 10:44 PM
Just wanted to share a bit of experience I had over the weekend. Went over to the Body Shop to get a milk cleanser and I proceeded to hand it over to the cashier for payment. The following was a brief sypnosis of what happened.

Cashier: "Is that all ma'am?"
Me: "yup"

She scans and then I hand over my card for payment.

Cashier: "Can I have your signature over here ma'am?"

And lastly:

"sorry maam, do you need a carrier for it? As we only have the large ones"

So I said I didn't need one and she handed it over to me. And thats when I think she realized that she was calling me ma'am all the while despite me replying her a couple of times and making distinct eye contact. And my voice is really a far cry from being distinctively female. And I was in my usual Tshirt and jeans.

Needless to say. I got some chuckles from my gf over the incident. Although I kind of enjoyed it.

ErickaJ
01-10-2011, 10:49 PM
Its such a great feeling isnt it. I loved having that happen at work, especially the days you arnt trying really hard or even at all. Before I went full time dressing I had that happen a few times, it was awesome. Glad you got to experience this :D

NathalieX66
01-10-2011, 10:53 PM
Love it!
I went grocery shopping at a Stop & Shop supermarket in Northern NJ, and used my Nathalie credit card, AND I got ma'amed by the cashier. He was totally unfazed.

The charm also worked too at a Starbucks in Nyack, N.Y. ( in town & near the Tappan Zee Bridge) the same night. ....no double take, or shock whatsoever. I had on a purple sweater dress with a cowl neck, black leggings , and black knee leghnth boots. It's quite cold here now.

Carbonara, it really is fun. Best of luck again!

Charleen
01-10-2011, 11:11 PM
Ain't it neat? I get Ma'amed about 3 times a week in guy mode and I love it!

ChanDelle
01-10-2011, 11:13 PM
One can only wish! Good job!!

ChanDelle

jessica renee
01-10-2011, 11:18 PM
Same thing happens to me quite often. Happened to me at work today as a matter of fact. Maybe we CD's give off a certain air of femininity?

ThiHi
01-10-2011, 11:28 PM
All the time, no matter what i'm wearing, it's ma'am, ladies, almost all the time

countrygirl
01-11-2011, 01:46 AM
it used to bother when I got ma'am not any more it is great :)

erika_s
01-11-2011, 08:57 AM
When I was younger, it happened often to me to be treated as Madame, and mainly when I had ambiguous haircuts. Today, with age, it is less often, but it still happened to me a couple of weeks ago.

VanessaVW
01-11-2011, 09:01 AM
Ain't it neat? I get Ma'amed about 3 times a week in guy mode and I love it!

It's about once a month or so for me, but I do smile on the inside! :)

JohnH
01-11-2011, 09:08 AM
If I am in total male mode I am never Ma'amed. This is in spite of my hair being a femme length. I have been ma'amed only once when I was wearing a T shirt with a denim skirt and women's sandals. I have even been Sir'ed when wearing a dress!

So I guess I'm like Stu Rasmussen mayor of Silverton, Oregon who identifies as a male. However, I haven't yet got a boob job the way he has.

Here's a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OF-JCCU1aA&feature=related

Shananigans
01-11-2011, 02:27 PM
I think this is kind of funny. If I had been the cashier and realized that I was calling you that and then was wrong, I would've been sooooo sorry. It's kinda cool you got a kick out of it/appreciated it on some level.

On the flip side of the coin, I was walking out of lab one day and stopped off by the equipment closet to check out some stuff from the lady there and she said, "One minute, sir, and I'll be right with you." I was so mad I could've died. I was thinking, "OMG! SHE THINKS I LOOK LIKE A MAN!" When she came back, she laughed and she said, "Sorry, honey, I just caught you out of the corner of my eye." But, it bothered me all day. I attributed it to the fact that I'm almost 6 feet tall, I was wearing a plastic apron, plastic gloves, and googles on my head.

Christie ann
01-11-2011, 03:55 PM
I attributed it to the fact that I'm almost 6 feet tall, I was wearing a plastic apron, plastic gloves, and googles on my head.

It think it was the goggles that did it.

Laura Evans
01-11-2011, 06:24 PM
Happened to me last week at a drive thru quick food outlet while returning from a day of skiing. No wig or makeup but I always wear earings and I do have long feminine fingernails with light pink polish on. I was surprised (pleasantly) since I was all in male garb except for clothing they could not see. That was a first for me.

Rachel C
01-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Happens every now and then to me in drab mode. It seems to happen more frequently now that I carry a hand bag everywhere I go.

JohnH
01-11-2011, 09:37 PM
Happens every now and then to me in drab mode. It seems to happen more frequently now that I carry a hand bag everywhere I go.

I think just for the heck of it next time I go to WalMart I will carry a hand bag while being in drab and see if I get ma'amed. I have a femme hair style and length.

Johanna

Jill Devine
01-11-2011, 09:57 PM
I think this is kind of funny. If I had been the cashier and realized that I was calling you that and then was wrong, I would've been sooooo sorry. It's kinda cool you got a kick out of it/appreciated it on some level.

On the flip side of the coin, I was walking out of lab one day and stopped off by the equipment closet to check out some stuff from the lady there and she said, "One minute, sir, and I'll be right with you." I was so mad I could've died. I was
thinking, "OMG! SHE THINKS I LOOK LIKE A MAN!" When she came back, she laughed and she said, "Sorry, honey, I just
caught you out of the corner of my eye." But, it bothered me all day. I attributed it to the fact that I'm almost 6 feet tall, I was wearing a plastic apron, plastic gloves, and googles on my head.
The lady was blind if she thought you look male. As if!

Shananigans
01-11-2011, 10:17 PM
It think it was the goggles that did it.

The lady was blind if she thought you look male. As if!

Love y'all

Joan_CD
01-11-2011, 10:36 PM
It is happening to me a lot lately. I let my hair grow and I have it styled in a kind of bob cut. From the back or side people call me ma'am. My wife and I were in the diner last night and the waitress came over and said " good evening ladies ". I just smile.

DonnaLynn77
01-12-2011, 03:42 AM
This happens to me somewhat regularly, but it's probably because my 'boy' mode isn't all that masculine anymore lol.
In fact, the other day I was in the drugstore with my son and once we got outside he laughed because the cashier called me sir! I was growing my facial hair in anticipation of my next visit to the electrologist. :)

t-girlxsophie
01-12-2011, 03:58 AM
Cant ever imagine that happening to me not with my short,back n sides haircut,always sounds a little strange that happening to ppl,but I can see how it would give you a kick.if only they knew Huh!

:hugs:Sophie

ThiHi
01-12-2011, 06:36 AM
I get it a lot, no matter what I'm wearing it seems. Yes, I do have long hair. I'm small and wear colors, o that likely has something to do with it. I do feel bad for the person as they feel bad. I always smile and try and make them feel ok about it.

Samantha B L
01-12-2011, 07:28 AM
I've been ma'am'd a coulple of times and sales associates in store have openly acknowledged items were for me before I had to say anything defensive in my own behalf. And people do often assume I like to be called Samantha without me having to say anything.