PDA

View Full Version : Outed by Googlebots and cookies

Christie ann
01-11-2011, 03:38 PM
While online shopping for clothes I apparently left a cookie trail that pointed from my computer right to "that" incredible dress. The next time I fired up the computer and went to one of our favorite weather sites, I noticed that the advertisement on the side of the page was that same incredible dress.

Yes, clearing the cache can be an important step when using a computer!

As much as I would love to have a social networking account as Christie, I can see lots of potential ways of coming out more than I feel comfortable right now.

Has anyone had similar stories?

BiancaEstrella
01-11-2011, 03:50 PM
I use Google Chrome and let's just say I'm glad this is a personal laptop. I get Avenue, Woman Within, (really the whole Redcats USA clothing family), 6pm.com, eBay women's shoes bids, Ideeli, etc. ads almost exclusively now. It's a constant reminder of Dani's likes and interests.

suchacutie
01-11-2011, 03:58 PM
I bought some stuff from the Derm Store and suddenly their ads appear, and specifically for the kind of stuff I bought. It's just annoying!

tina

helena.gcd
01-11-2011, 04:48 PM
i do share my macbook with my male-self, so what i simply did is creating another user, protected by a password.
When i boot it on, it starts always with the male user, which look exactly as the average guy user computer.
If i want to do something related to helena, i simply switch the user to helena (well the name of the user is simply "H" as a precaution for just in case somebody plays with user and ask me who Helena is) and my macbook becomes the average CD user computer, with lots of pics of me, links and favorites that we all have.

this way i don't have to worry about leaving hints on my computer. My friends use it when they come home or we are on a trip and nobody will accidentally find something about helena.

just my two cents on Computer Safety for Crossdressers

Kaz
01-11-2011, 04:52 PM
You always have to watch the metadata...(it is the stuff that is sent without you knowing everytime you send something)... there are trails...

I am seriously thinking of getting a Kaz only laptop! I have had too many scares recently!

dana8656
01-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Private browsing is your friend,
I've used Firefox for a long time.
CTRL-Shift-P and nothing gets saved.
only problem of recent is logging in here
every visit.

Elle1946
01-11-2011, 05:11 PM
A lot of shoe stores that I shop at, end up on the side bar of my computer with ads. This dosen't bother because I am the only user of my computer. But, I can see where this could pose a problem.

VanessaVW
01-11-2011, 05:12 PM
When visiting a sports board, i am getting frederick's ads. Hmmmm...

Kitty Sue
01-11-2011, 05:45 PM
When visiting a sports board, i am getting frederick's ads. Hmmmm...

Yes Vanessa, interesting when I visit military sites I am getting adds for Victoria's Secret. Againn Hmmmmmm. :)

katiecdnorthants
01-11-2011, 06:02 PM
Yes its scary how web browsers track your movements i keep my user password protected just in case x

msniki48
01-11-2011, 06:21 PM
ok girls, now i know why i joined this site... i learn stuff! :battingeyelashes: ok lets see???? i learned how to create cleavage. put on makeup, size dresses...uhhh now i have to learn why onestoppluss.com is always showing me these beautiful dresses on the side of my screen. ok girls what do i have to do to get rid of them?

uhhhhh maybe later...there is this cute georgette dress in blue:daydreaming:.....ok i'm back, now how do i get rid of this? uhhhh ohhh look at those pumps , how adorable. MUST REMOVE SITE.....help!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

remove cache?????? i only use credit!

edit:

Now you've gone and done it...this thread just cost me $64.00 I wound up buying that dress that kept popping up!!!

http://www.onestopplus.com/clothing/Floral-Applique-Empire-Dress.aspx?PfId=195821&DeptId=15080&ProductTypeId=1

:heehee::heehee::heehee:

hugs

msniki48

lingerieLiz
01-11-2011, 06:29 PM
First always use InPrivate Browsing when crusing where you don't want others to know about. Also you must be aware that the site you are visiting can place a cookie on your machine. While most sites don't record your IP address, they can. There are a whole lot of tracking cookies today. And of course Google knows who you are.

Probably the easiest way to protect yourself is to have a unique user name for when you want to surf the fem world. Make the password hard enough that your friends can't get it. If someone (wife) asks whats that, tell her your not sure. You were experminting and all of a sudden it came up. You have tried and can't figure how to get into it. You would delete it, but not sure what is connected to it.........

Or just come out. My wife knows and what I shop for on line so it wouldn't help me.

Julogden
01-11-2011, 07:12 PM
I use a separate browser for gender-related stuff, Flock, and Firefox for everything else. When other people use my computer, they use Firefox, so I keep that "clean" and so far, I haven't had any carry-over from one browser to the other. I used to like Netscape, as it could be set up so that you could have distinct users with their own Bookmarks and everything that couldn't be seen by other users unless they had your password.

Carol

Raychel
01-11-2011, 07:22 PM
I am the only one to use this computer, And if my wife does happen to use it, then no real big deal.
I am pretty sure that the kids would never even try. If to do, well then so be it.

I am pretty much done hiding anyways.

Now damn you, This is going to cost me money too.
http://www.onestopplus.com/product.aspx?PfId=189617&DeptId=19566&ProductTypeId=1&PurchaseType=I&pref=cs&pos=2&rec=Certona

Julezz
01-11-2011, 07:41 PM
In google chrome, ctrl+shift+N opens up an "incognito window" that leaves no trace of anywhere you go when you are in the browser. A handy tip ;)

Cari
01-11-2011, 07:47 PM
I do that on purpose and have friends who dont cd who will run vitorias secret in a minimized window for a bit just to get the ads :-)
If any one sees it just ask them what they rather look at a pretty model or bunch of whatevers you normally would see.
I cant get rid of the ads so I might as well have pretty ones.

I do have a seperate windows user profile for the fem stuff; it doenst have access to an entire drive that holds info I wouldnt want to share and is password protected.
It also has private folders for pics and stuff I wouldnt want to accidentally attach to something.
But I shop under any profile and dont mind the ads.

Eryn
01-11-2011, 07:54 PM
I use Firefox with the Adblock Plus plugin so I never see the ads that caused Christie Ann's concern. That doesn't mean that they aren't generated, just that I don't see them.

I use Firefox's Private Browsing mode, but I have no illusions that it stops everything. It does stop the computer from "suggesting" things I'd rather keep to myself.

You can even modify Firefox's preferences to always start in Private Browsing mode if you so desire.

Loni
01-11-2011, 08:25 PM
no problem, the tracking cookies are nothing compared to what big brother is doing now. and lots more planed to start with in a couple years.

nothing is privilege info on a computer, anyone with some knowledge can see every thing one wants to.

and i am not a puter hack, i just read and keep up with some stuff...even if i do not know what the heck they are talking about.

Jeannie
01-11-2011, 08:30 PM
I use Firefox with the Adblock Plus plugin so I never see the ads that caused Christie Ann's concern. That doesn't mean that they aren't generated, just that I don't see them.

I use Firefox's Private Browsing mode, but I have no illusions that it stops everything. It does stop the computer from "suggesting" things I'd rather keep to myself.

You can even modify Firefox's preferences to always start in Private Browsing mode if you so desire.

I do the same thing. By the way, when someone tries to fix your computer for some reason they always want to look at your favorites. I can't understand why that would be important unless they are looking for some kind of virus producing site or something. Also because everyone else that uses your computer has an overwhelming need to look in there, I can no longer have favorites that lead to anything remotely feminine. It really is annoying.

Jeannie

Jennyfir
01-11-2011, 08:43 PM
Yes, I normally buy my stuff from overstock.com because i'm impressed with their delivery times and promptness. I am always seeing Overstock women's clothing ads, but that's what Incognito browsing is for when you use Chrome or RockMelt.

Karinsamatha
01-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Yes, I normally buy my stuff from overstock.com because i'm impressed with their delivery times and promptness. I am always seeing Overstock women's clothing ads, but that's what Incognito browsing is for when you use Chrome or RockMelt.
I also get Overstock, and quite a few others - much better than looking at chain saws or such.

gungho
01-11-2011, 09:09 PM
I'm a bit paranoid but I generally use Opera as my main browser and then firefox(I have two profiles set up) for anything I don't want people to see. It's far too excessive considering nobody touches my computer and really haven't since I bought it years ago.

juno
01-11-2011, 09:12 PM
If you think that is bad, it won't be long before digital television is used to customize marketing. Your neighbors football game will have a beer commercial, and you will be on the same channel but get a Victoria's Secret commercial.

If you are really paranoid, run Linux as a virtual guest OS using VirtualBox, and install it with full encryption. Or, just run a mini OS. You can run SLAX Linux off of a USB key.

vivian fair
01-11-2011, 09:17 PM
For me its windows and this was proved when I had a personel (on line) conversation with one of their people. Believe me they know every thing we do on line! vivian fair

lavistaa62
01-11-2011, 09:51 PM
Altogether now: Firefox + adblock + web-elements +noscript + preference (options in MS WIndows version) set to private browsing or to clear history/cookies when you close Firefox.

Xandria
01-11-2011, 10:20 PM
I use CCleaner, set it to run at start up to wipe out all cache from internet explorer.. i dont have to do a thing :)

PretzelGirl
01-11-2011, 10:25 PM
Now damn you, This is going to cost me money too.
http://www.onestopplus.com/product.aspx?PfId=189617&DeptId=19566&ProductTypeId=1&PurchaseType=I&pref=cs&pos=2&rec=Certona

Ooooooo.....money well spent!

I generally just open a separate browser in private mode to access this site real quick. But for many other things including pictures and Facebook, I dual booted my laptop so my Sue activity is on it's own Linux install. That should be good enough plus some.

RachelF
01-12-2011, 12:13 AM
Firefox will automatically try to complete the site address taking adresses from your history and from your bookmarked sites. I set the history to 0 days and always clear private data when leaving, but because I have shopping links bookmarked in a folder into my favorites, it was possible that somebody that types www.g (trying to type the very common www.google.com) would receive automatically the address www.glamourboutique.com as a choice to auto complete the address. The tip to disable such behaviour by Firefox follows:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6787855_disable-automatic-url-bar-search.html

ronny0
01-12-2011, 12:31 AM
If you want to hide EVERYTHING!!!!!
Install Oracle VirtualBox (free) then install Linux Ubuntu (free) on the Virtual Box.
If you start to get too much junk, just start another install of Ubuntu or do a clone at the first install and just go back to the clone.

Password everything!

DeeArel
01-12-2011, 12:50 AM
I use internet explorer. Click on tools, internet options. On the general tab, there is a check box for deleting history when you close your browser. It gets rid of your history and cookies.

BiancaEstrella
01-12-2011, 01:07 AM
I use internet explorer
I'm sorry

gabe
01-12-2011, 01:19 AM
There is a silent privacy killer, it is your flash cookies, most people are not aware of how to clear them. Go here:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager07.html

annabellejorden
01-12-2011, 01:27 AM
Ok, time for the computer security gall to pipe up...

Goto http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads Download and install.

Goto http://virtualboximages.com/gOS-3.1 Download and import into VirtualBox.

Do all of your girly browsing in the GOS vm.

VM's or Virtual Machines are basic a computer that runs inside your computer.
Completely separate.
and it's only on while virtualbox is running.

If theres interest, I could probably write up a tutorial on it.

Ashley Allison
01-12-2011, 02:04 AM
I have Firefox on my Macbook setup so that it erases the history every time I close it.

t-girlxsophie
01-12-2011, 02:08 AM
Its a good job im out with to wife and stepkids,because I havent the first clue what the hell I'm doing PC wise,I think the term Computer Illiterate was invented to apply to me:doh:.I go on my football (the world game)team fansites and the advert that appear on their are all girlie ads,at least I dont have to figure how that happens LOL

:hugs:Sophie

Tammynnj
01-12-2011, 02:35 AM
In Google Chrome you can also click on the WRENCH in the upper right corner then click on incognito. You should also click on History and clear that out from time to time. Also click on Tools then click Clear browsing data .... and clear everything. It deletes some time saving stuff, but if hiding your computer use is important ...

Christine Andrews
01-12-2011, 07:29 AM
Altogether now: Firefox + adblock + web-elements +noscript + preference (options in MS WIndows version) set to private browsing or to clear history/cookies when you close Firefox.

This is what I use with my Windows computer. My log-in is also password protected. My laptop is Linux - I'm only just starting to learn this OS but so far I'm quite impressed - especially by Linux Mint.

I prefer to browse on my laptop which only I can access but when on PC I also double check my temp files - not just relying upon Firefox's private browsing.

If you are really paranoid, run Linux as a virtual guest OS using VirtualBox, and install it with full encryption. Or, just run a mini OS. You can run SLAX Linux off of a USB key.

How would you intall Linux on a USB key?

annabellejorden

Ok, time for the computer security gall to pipe up...

Goto http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads Download and install.

Goto http://virtualboximages.com/gOS-3.1 Download and import into VirtualBox.

Do all of your girly browsing in the GOS vm.

VM's or Virtual Machines are basic a computer that runs inside your computer.
Completely separate.
and it's only on while virtualbox is running.

If theres interest, I could probably write up a tutorial on it.

Would you say the process simple enough to do? I'm hesitant to risk doing this on my main PC because I a m not the only one who needs to use it. The idea of having to take it for repair and risk any traces of browsing history found is a worry - just in case I miss something.

My only experience of Linux installation is Ubuntu and Mint on my (very) old laptop in dual boot and as the only OS. The latter because I could not get rid of the boot menu or either OS individuall so I just overwrote the lot with a fresh Linux install.

Diana Hannah
01-12-2011, 10:11 AM
Hi Girls

Use the Tor / Portable Firefox

https://www.torproject.org/

Love

Diana

Kerigirl2009
01-12-2011, 10:26 AM
Well for myself I am not very tech savvy with computers. Yes I have seen the female ads on the side of my computer and I know they show up because I have visited certain sites. Tis has never really bothered me, the part that bothered me was the tab of MOST VISITED SITES. For a long time it would show this site as well as another.
This still makes me nervous as I don't want to appear to be hiding stuff on my computer. I know I have had to scramble to check to make sure I have checked my history when say someone has the need to use my computer.
My favorite part about my computer is not only is it password protected I also have facial recgonition upon startup and this brings a bit of peace, but not much.

MichelleP
01-12-2011, 12:01 PM
I use Vexira and get those cookies cleared from my computer - eventhough I'm the only one on it.

AliceJaneInNewcastle
01-13-2011, 08:36 PM
I read a blog (http://www.femulate.org/2011/01/google-knows.html) today that described the same scenario as the original poster.

I have not personally experienced it and it took me a while to realise that it's because my privoxy web proxy removes banner ads! Anybody who is worried about being outed by their banner ads might want to consider privoxy (http://www.privoxy.org/). As a bonus, by filtering out ads it reduces your total downloads and speeds up browsing. :)

docrobbysherry
01-13-2011, 09:19 PM
Yes, clearing the cache can be an important step when using a computer!

Ha ha! Good one, CA! Maybe when I learn how to speak "techie" I'll know what u mean!
The last "cache" I made was playing over 55 soft ball!

busker
01-13-2011, 09:45 PM
When ads follow you, it's called targeted advertising and it is on the rise. You can stop it somewhat by always clearing your cache and history and use a browser like OPERA that lets you wipe everything from your browsing history. I also use CCleaner and wipe again.
A more scarry problem was mentioned in an articele in NYTIMes, Jan 1 2011, "Computers that see you...." and indicated that the social networks are using a face-scanning software which could be far more dangerous than ads. Law enforcement could be checking against alimony owers, deadbeat dads, tickets, all sorts of things so putting your pictures out there could lead to some bad things if you are not prepared.
"Google has also introduced an application called Goggles, which allows people to take a picture with a smartphone and search the Internet for matching images. The company’s executives decided to exclude a facial-recognition feature, which they feared might be used to find personal information on people who did not know that they were being photographed."
"Millions of people now use products that show the progress that has been made in computer vision. In the last two years, the major online photo-sharing services - Picasa by Google, Windows Live Photo Gallery by Microsoft, Flickr by Yahoo and iPhoto by Apple - have all started using face recognition. A user puts a name to a face, and the service finds matches in other photographs. It is a popular tool for finding and organizing pictures."

busker
01-13-2011, 10:16 PM
I do the same thing. By the way, when someone tries to fix your computer for some reason they always want to look at your favorites. I can't understand why that would be important unless they are looking for some kind of virus producing site or something. Also because everyone else that uses your computer has an overwhelming need to look in there, I can no longer have favorites that lead to anything remotely feminine. It really is annoying.

Jeannie
Create a folder in your browser and use it to store your fem links. Then,
export your bookmarks to a USB memory card. You can access that via the "my computer" folder on your main screen. Once you access the file and folder, you can click on the link, open it and when you are finished simply eject you usb card and nobody is the wiser. Also, clear your browsing history and cookies. In your browser, you will need a folder for your fem links, but don't forget to delete the links after you export. Unfortunately, you can't directly add to the usb data from your browser.

lingerieLiz
01-14-2011, 01:15 AM
You may want to invest in disc cleaning software also. I just recovered a few million files from reformatted hard drives. It was user error on a large raid configuration. Interesting what was found. They only wanted the business files so I didn't restore personal data that could be embarrassing. No I didn't look at all the pictures, but I did wonder who's wife/girlfriend it was in one directory. I've also recovered thousands of deleted/lost emails for a customer. Even a non-functioning drive can be recovered sometimes if the money is there.

First CDing isn't going to cause the net police to come after you. Several of the suggestions will keep the casual user from discovering your hidden self. The only time I track IP addresses is if a site is being attacked or a legal issue becomes involved. If you are ever involved in a law suit get rid of all your pictures and posts on line. I know of one case where they got the online stuf before they started the suit. It is amazing what layers will pay to find dirt. With facebook friends and less than six degrees of separation you can find just about anyone. Face recognition does work.

There was a white paper published this week about Tweet recognition for geo location. They believe they can tell within 400 K where you are from based on the phraseology of your tweet.

If you are surfing at work be aware that IT can track the sites you are viewing. They don't have to be looking over your shoulder or even be there. More than one employee has lost their job never expecting that they could be caught with no one around.

Aprilrain
01-14-2011, 01:24 AM
much better than looking at chain saws or such.

What's wrong with chainsaws?

Eryn
01-14-2011, 01:34 AM
If you are surfing at work be aware that IT can track the sites you are viewing.

True that. The owner of the computer also pretty much owns the data that runs through it and it would be very unwise to transmit any data that would compromise you over a computer you don't own. You really don't want to be called on Catbert's carpet.

eluuzion
01-14-2011, 01:49 AM
"Google has also introduced an application called Goggles, which allows people to take a picture with a smartphone and search the Internet for matching images. The company’s executives decided to exclude a facial-recognition feature, which they feared might be used to find personal information on people who did not know that they were being photographed."

Yep, the part they did not tell us was that those tricked out cameras mounted to the top of the vehicles collecting the image info for "Google Earth, streetview, etc...were also compiling all wifi locations too...so they can be right next to you when you are online! They finally admitted to doing it in the investigation/legal action proceedings last week. Google is the Wizard of Oz of privacy exploitation and data mining.

As long as you have your version of an IPhone, Android, Blackberry, Freakazoidwhatever in your hand, you are doing all of the Big Brother monitoring yourself...they appreciate you for monitoring yourself...lol.
the NSA, Echelon, Carnivore, etc replaced the 60yr old "spy" trying to pass as a new student in class in room full of 16 year olds is a bit outdated now, lol. It is much easier to just come out with a new phone and wait for everyone to buy it so you can monitor them...does not get much better for them...

Oh, BTW, that is great shirt you are wearing tonight...is that new? :shades::shush::shades:
:heehee:
:love:

crusadergirl
01-14-2011, 02:09 AM
yeah i see ads on the side of some pages of stuff i look at but all my friends and family know i never really looked at that stuff. Its something the computer thinks i would like.