PDA

View Full Version : Drop-in Counseling for Transsexuals

Jessica212
01-14-2011, 11:16 PM
I'm going to a drop-in counseling service next week, and have no idea what to expect. I plan on going dressed as a male, but I don't know what the counselor will address me as. I also really don't know how in depth I can get in a drop-in session, or how long it will be.

I'm at a crossroads right now, trying to figure out whether I should transition or not, and trying to gain the courage to dress in public. I could really use all the help I can get, but I don't have a job or much money, which is why I'm doing this session. Just have no clue what to expect.

StaceyJane
01-14-2011, 11:23 PM
If you go as a male the counselor will probably address you by your male name unless you ask different.
To be honest you probably won't get much from a single drop in session except a recommendation to get more counseling.
Wheather or not you should transition is something that will take a while to work through, especially if your not dressing in public yet.

Katesback
01-15-2011, 03:17 PM
Ok so my perspective. Forget the trans stuff and find a way to support yourself and put food on the table and become self supportive. transition takes money (some more so than others) and without it all ya can really do is dream and talk and that will never get you anywhere.

Katie

Aprilrain
01-15-2011, 11:39 PM
. Forget the trans stuff

Katie

Is that possible?

Kelly DeWinter
01-15-2011, 11:46 PM
I'm going to a drop-in counseling service next week, and have no idea what to expect. I plan on going dressed as a male, but I don't know what the counselor will address me as. I also really don't know how in depth I can get in a drop-in session, or how long it will be.

I'm at a crossroads right now, trying to figure out whether I should transition or not, and trying to gain the courage to dress in public. I could really use all the help I can get, but I don't have a job or much money, which is why I'm doing this session. Just have no clue what to expect.

Keep us posted . It's interesting to hear that there are drop in clinics. let us know how your expierence was.

Kelly

Rianna Humble
01-16-2011, 01:52 AM
I wouldn't have put it as crudely as Katesback, but you may need to consider what effect being in transition would have on your ability to get a job. That said, I definitely think you are doing the right thing by seeking help, please don't be put off from that.

As this is a drop-in , you can probably tell the counsellor how you would prefer to be addressed - something along the lines of "My name is William Henry Pratt, but I prefer to be addressed as Boris Karloff". I doubt whether you will be able to get through everything in the one session, but you can certainly make a start.

Steph.TS
01-16-2011, 02:05 AM
I'm sorry but what is drop-in counseling?

Stephanie Anne
01-16-2011, 02:16 AM
I'm sorry but what is drop-in counseling?

I'm guessing another word for the services provided in many no cost grant funded counseling centers. I suppose you walk in and take what you get.

Jessinthesprings
01-17-2011, 01:59 PM
Ok... So here are my thoughts. One session will likely have a limited impact on you or the counselor. I am not familiar with the term Drop-in but, I'm assuming it means you go to an office where there are multiple counselors and they take you in the order you arrived, and you get the first available counselor. If that is the case I'm even more dubious of the success of the visit. However, sometimes just talking and getting everything that's bottled in out is therapeutic. I know I always feel better after a rant session... LOL my counselor is probably thinking, "CRAZY!"

My biggest fear is a bad experience. You being in New York is better than say... Wyoming or North Dakota but, it's still unlikely that this counselor will have ever dealt with a Transgendered person and may allow personal biases and prejudices to influence the session. One way or another if you are considering transition you will need to get your own where you can develop a relationship that you will need to get through this.

Girl, go at your own pace so go as you are comfortable. However, something you should consider: if you plan to ever transition you have to leave the house sometime.

danielleb
01-17-2011, 05:15 PM
If you aren't asked what name you'd like to be referred to by the counselor, that should be a good indication that you're in the worng place!:doh:

Whatever comes from the session, any chioce around transition should take time to come to you. I would also recommend that you look into support groups in your area.:)

terri jane
01-17-2011, 06:36 PM
if u are in nyc it might be the lgbt drop in center i believe on 13th. it is free counceling and a very well established place for us to go I have gone to several tg groups there. If u are thinking of transitioning then you have to go to counceling anyway. this place has all the resources that new york has to offer, meaning whose good and whose not. best of luck hun, go and see how u feel. let us know . Terri

Jessica212
01-18-2011, 12:40 PM
I'm going to a center specifically dealing with LGBT issues, so they should be able to deal with me more specifically.

One of the reasons I'm going is because I want to get started on dressing outside of the house. I'm hoping once I start doing that I'll be able to begin transitioning.

Thanks for all your responses - I'll let you know how it goes.

Jessica212
01-19-2011, 07:17 PM
Just went - it was so helpful. Got out many things that I've been wanting to for awhile, especially about fears about transitioning, some of my body issues, envy of GGs. The counselor luckily had a ton of experience with trans people and was able to give me lots of references. Also helped me get through some of those fears about transitioning I have.

It's a shame that these kinds of resources for LGBT people probably only exist in major cities. I thought it was a really good way to talk about some of the issues I'm having and find out where to go for more treatment and what resources are out there for us trans people.

Jessinthesprings
01-19-2011, 08:18 PM
Just went - it was so helpful. Got out many things that I've been wanting to for awhile, especially about fears about transitioning, some of my body issues, envy of GGs. The counselor luckily had a ton of experience with trans people and was able to give me lots of references. Also helped me get through some of those fears about transitioning I have.

It's a shame that these kinds of resources for LGBT people probably only exist in major cities. I thought it was a really good way to talk about some of the issues I'm having and find out where to go for more treatment and what resources are out there for us trans people.

I am so very happy for you. In a situation where you are a leaving yourself to fate it could have just as easily went the other way. However, I hope you are able to come back to this counselor again. And remeber you don't need therapy to express yourself and the only thing that is holding you back is... you. I know I have and in many ways still afraid.

danielleb
01-19-2011, 08:24 PM
I'm glad to hear you were able to find a positive experience in it all! It's a long road, take your time, relish the small victories, and you'll find your way to where you need to be.:)

...the only thing that is holding you back is... you...
So easy to say, so hard to hear.:doh:

Areyan
01-19-2011, 09:19 PM
congratulations on such a great first experience. i wish we had this kind of support in NZ but sadly we don't. if i had a drop-in lgbt-friendly centre to go to in my town i would have been there by now. still saving the $300 it costs for my initial appointment with a psychiatrist to get my diagnosis. i don't know how necessary the dx is here, but i do know that i can get help faster through a proper diagnosis with a psychiatrist and testosterone therapy is publicly funded here if i go through the system. i hope things get much better for you and it all works out.

best of luck.