PDA

View Full Version : Dress at Concert?

Kim Welcher
01-15-2011, 10:06 PM
I am going to a Styx concert in Austin next month and I was wondering if I should go as Kim or not. I have gone out before but it has always been in the middle of the night to limit my contact with people I know as my male persona. Any suggestions?

2SpeedTranny
01-15-2011, 10:19 PM
If you have to ask, I'd say no... which by the flip side means, if you have the confidence to pull it off, you'll not be needing encouragement from random strangers on the internet. ;)

StaceyJane
01-15-2011, 10:20 PM
It really depends on how comfortable you are dressed in a crowd. You should try going out in public as Kim maybe in another town. Try shopping in the mall.
Also there is the matter of the bathroom. Unless you feel comfortable going to either the ladies room or the men's room dressed as a lady you will need to limit liquid intake.

P.S. Save me a spare ticket. I saw Journey last year in Hawaii and they were still great!

AnnaCalliope
01-15-2011, 10:23 PM
Hmm. That's a tough one.

I'd say no, only because most of the people attending a Styx concert are going to be mostly middle-aged and probably not that up to date with the open-mindedness and acceptance of younger generations. Then again, their bassist Chuck Panozzo did come out of the closet as being gay back in 2001.

Still, if you've only ever been out late at night and dealt with very few people while dressed en femme, being around several hundred or thousand could be frightening.

Think of it as learning to swim. You start in the shallow part of the pool and slowly work your way towards the deep end. Spending a few hours in shallows, then cannonballing into the deep side might seem fun and exciting for the few minutes, until you realize you are drowning.

StaceyJane
01-15-2011, 10:28 PM
I really don't think there will be any trouble from the crowd if you are close to passable.
I've crossdressed at the Dallas Cowboys training camp and had no problem at all.

Austin is a good place to crossdress, I go there all the time. Earlier this week I mingled with some members of the Republican State Legislature cacus and had no problem.
I even got one to take my picture. :)

Kim Welcher
01-15-2011, 10:36 PM
But Stacy Austin is the other town.

StaceyJane
01-15-2011, 10:53 PM
If it was me I would do it but I do like to push the edge of going out.
I believe the safest places to crossdress are public places during the daytime and not gay clubs in the middle of the night.
You should check out my Youtube channel. I live just north of Austin and have made videos of me going out in all sorts of places.
I've been to Baylor basketball games, Cowboys Stadium and I have taken several train trips.

It's really a matter if you feel ready to do this.

Kim Welcher
01-15-2011, 11:43 PM
I think I will go through with it, but should I dress casually or semi-formally (I've never been to a rock concert before)?

Pythos
01-16-2011, 12:05 AM
That's right. Hide.

Hide at a concert because of the age range of the attendees. And Styx was so run of the mill.

Okay, sarcasm over. I went to a depeche mode concert as an obvious guy in a skirt. skirt, hose and heeled boots. I encountered absolutely no issues. I got into a conversation with a fellow Mustang owner parked at the concert.

Honestly, get an idea of the kind of people that listen to Styx. Then weigh the pros and cons. If you feel more comfortable in your fem self than you do your male self, then by all means go as your fem self.

Use the internet to its fullest for your answers.

ErickaJ
01-16-2011, 12:37 AM
If you feel good about it then go for it. I went to Cruefest in Milwaukee, WI and I went as Ericka and had a blast! In the end, do what feels right the day of the concert, then you will know for sure 100%

JackieInPA
01-16-2011, 01:21 AM
I have been to several concerts en femme...never had an issue.

lilmissjenny
01-16-2011, 09:27 AM
id love to go to a concert dressed but im not ready yet. i really wanted to when i went to see Hell Yeah (they are a heavy metal band) but couldnt. :(

anyways, i say go for it! dress casually if you go because obviously everyone else will be. go have some fun :)

JamieG
01-16-2011, 09:20 PM
Okay, sarcasm over. I went to a depeche mode concert as an obvious guy in a skirt. skirt, hose and heeled boots. I encountered absolutely no issues. I got into a conversation with a fellow Mustang owner parked at the concert.

I think going en femme to Depeche Mode is a lot less risky than going to see Styx. Honestly, the homophobic redneck types who might attack someone dressed differently would consider Depeche Mode "too gay" to attend the concert. If I remember correctly, didn't one of the band even dress in drag from time to time? Certainly, Styx isn't the most macho of bands, but it is classic rock, and all it takes is one drunk jerk to end up in trouble. I would say, if you do go, take a few friends with you. There is safety in numbers.

By the way, I'm not dis'ing either band. I have seen both in concert before. Styx was the very first concert I went too: "The Kilroy was Here" tour.

Lainie
01-16-2011, 09:51 PM
Austin is pretty cool. The unofficial city motto "Keep Austin Weird", was coined by a homeless full-time CD when (s)he ran for mayor a few years ago.

Heathersgams
01-16-2011, 10:52 PM
Kind of speaks to personal safety and common sense. As a rule I like to case out the joint before going en fem. It's good to know not only the crowd but where the washrooms are, what the staff (managers and bouncers) think about having a tranny in the house and a Plan B in case of car trouble. Don't ever go where you could become a target, even with friends. If you know the venue and have friends to hang with it's worth considering...

JustineFallow
01-18-2011, 03:51 AM
I think going en femme to Depeche Mode is a lot less risky than going to see Styx. Honestly, the homophobic redneck types who might attack someone dressed differently would consider Depeche Mode "too gay" to attend the concert. If I remember correctly, didn't one of the band even dress in drag from time to time?

That would be Martin Gore, the keyboardist.

Pythos
01-18-2011, 11:00 AM
Martin Gore is the Vocals. He is the lead of D.P.

Does not matter though, they all occasionally wore skirts, and one wore a dress once.

StaceyJane
01-18-2011, 03:31 PM
I really have to be honest. I've been at many public events dressed in Central Texas and I would go to a Styx concert without worring at all.

JamieTG
01-18-2011, 03:45 PM
I've seen Styx twice and its a baby boomer crowd, many of whom bring their kids. Its not being in a large crowd that would worry me but who I might end up sitting next to. I wouldn't want to be sitting there with kids next to me. Their parents may say something. I personally would pick a different concert with a different type of crowd.

StaceyJane
01-18-2011, 03:49 PM
I guess I am the point where I don't worry about parents and kids. I've sat in crowds crossdressed and nothing has ever happened.

I guess my point is that I live right near Austin and have done simular things and nothing has ever happened.

Don't let fear control you.