PDA

View Full Version : Not for women drink

Maxi
01-16-2011, 08:38 PM
Me and my neighbor, the football coach, were discussing the new Dr Pepper drink, that is advertised as "Not for Women". His comment was it's not for sissy's". My comment was "You mean I can't wear my dress when I drink it?" He just laughed. I really don't think he could ever picture me in a dress.:tongueout

Melissa Jill
01-16-2011, 08:46 PM
Just like the yorkie adverts?

JohnH
01-16-2011, 10:19 PM
That is really a dumb advertising slogan. I consider all soft drinks to be sissy. Now a drink that is not for sissies is bourbon, which I am dying to get soon as I get a job!

Julieanne
01-17-2011, 11:37 AM
I wonder who the target is for these ads. Are there really guys so insecure about their sexuality that a "Not for Women" soft drink appeals to them? Just a thought.

Julieanne

JiveTurkeyOnRye
01-17-2011, 11:56 AM
Having not seen the ads, but also having seen similar ads for "Pepsi MAX," my theory is it is probably a diet drink that is being marketed differently because there's a conception that guys see diet drinks as being girly. It's basically taking the beer-ad mentality and putting it onto soft drinks. Miller Lite has had a bad campaign recently that implies that any guy doing something girlish, like carrying a purse or even wearing a skirt, isn't manly enough to drink it. The guy will say "Oh just give me a light beer" and the female bartender says "Go take off your skirt and I'll give you a real beer." I used to drink Miller Lite as my go-to cheap beer, but I haven't had one since I saw that ad. I'll stick with my guinness.

Lorileah
01-17-2011, 12:05 PM
sounds like once again corporate America has taken the low road in advertising. Why would anyone alienate 50% of the population. Seems contraintuitive to me. Maybe Dr Pepper has decided to join Miller Coors in trying to suck up to brainless Sunday afternoon male zombies. That would be a good marketing niche since they never die...but I don't think the demographics are very high income

JohnH
01-17-2011, 02:58 PM
Having not seen the ads, but also having seen similar ads for "Pepsi MAX," my theory is it is probably a diet drink that is being marketed differently because there's a conception that guys see diet drinks as being girly. It's basically taking the beer-ad mentality and putting it onto soft drinks. Miller Lite has had a bad campaign recently that implies that any guy doing something girlish, like carrying a purse or even wearing a skirt, isn't manly enough to drink it. The guy will say "Oh just give me a light beer" and the female bartender says "Go take off your skirt and I'll give you a real beer." I used to drink Miller Lite as my go-to cheap beer, but I haven't had one since I saw that ad. I'll stick with my guinness.

Light beer for a man??? Now Guinness Stout is something I can really wrap my shaved arms around while I am wearing a dress, hose, heels, and makeup. Also bourbon is another drink I also like, along with Scotch. I consider lite beer in the same category as Arbor Mist "wine".

And then there is the joke about "How is Coors Lite like making love in a canoe? Both of them are pretty f**king close to water!".

Johanna

Julieanne
01-17-2011, 03:17 PM
Johanna -- Love your joke, although it applies to all light beers in my humble opinion. I do occasionally partake of Guinness Stout but it's a bit strong for my girlish :battingeyelashes: tastes.

KarenCDFL
01-17-2011, 04:52 PM
This advertisement seems pretty lame to me.

One thing I have noticed especially after meeting my 18 yo nieces friends, the line that separates gender is getting pretty fuzzy these days. The girls dress as they please and some of the guys are using makeup.

Her friends don't seem to be worried about what others say nor worry about oe use the horrible labels the previous generations used when a peer was not exactly the way they should have portrayed themselves according to society.