PDA

View Full Version : Name Change: Arkansas

Jessinthesprings
01-17-2011, 01:28 PM
Hello,

I am very soon to start the process of legal name change. I would rather do it myself without a lawyer because of the cost, and I was hopeing someone in Arkansas has gone through it recently and could help me in anyway they can.

Jess

Leanne2
01-18-2011, 10:22 AM
Hi Jess,
I wish I could help but I've only been to Arkansas one time and have never lived there. Good luck with your name change! Have a great day. Leanne

Rianna Humble
01-18-2011, 05:06 PM
Name Change: Arkansas

Hello,

I am very soon to start the process of legal name change. I would rather do it myself without a lawyer

I hope one of the girls from your state will be along soon to tell you how it's done, but are you sure you want to change your name to Arkansas ? :heehee:

CharleneT
01-18-2011, 05:54 PM
While I cannot speak about your state in particular, the process in the US in general is pretty easy. You do not need a lawyer. Go to your local court house and ask them for the packet for name change. Be sure to mention, if they do not ask, that this name change is not due to marriage. Just follow the instructions. Usually you will file some paper work, an original birth cert, and have to wait a while. Sometimes there has to be an ad in the local papers. Then you go in on a court day, swear that this is what you want and they sign off. The difficulties come more from the result than the process. Going about getting your name changed in all the places it needs to be can drive ya nuts !!

Jessinthesprings
01-18-2011, 06:48 PM
I hope one of the girls from your state will be along soon to tell you how it's done, but are you sure you want to change your name to Arkansas ? :heehee:

Of Course isn't it pretty! LOL no... Ok so this is probably a really dumb question. Does it make any difference that I was born in Colorado? Also I will likely move back to Colorado in the future. Will that just be a simple matter of updating the driver's liscense?

Sharon
01-18-2011, 11:03 PM
I didn't read this very thoroughly, but it seems like it could be helpful:

http://sherrylanina.tripod.com/arkansasnamechange.htm

You want to do this where you live now, assuming you aren't moving out of state in the next six months or so. Other states will honor the new name and driver's licenses are a simple matter, though not necessarily so with the gender marker.

Good luck!

Jessinthesprings
01-19-2011, 05:06 PM
You want to do this where you live now, assuming you aren't moving out of state in the next six months or so.

Not that I plan on moving in near future, but why would that matter?

Sharon
01-20-2011, 12:04 AM
Not that I plan on moving in near future, but why would that matter?

It can take some time before the process is completed -- paperwork and bureaucracy, background checks(they want to be certain you aren't attempting to evade responsibilities) and court and/or judge appointment delays can add up to several months and it actually took me about six months from start to finish.