PDA

View Full Version : Reading, Reading, Reading...

Christine Andrews
01-18-2011, 08:56 AM
I've caught the bug for reading.

So I was wondering if anyone could recommend any books around themes crossdressing/transgender - preferably male-to-female. These can be fiction or non-fiction if they are interesting.

Generally my main interest tends to be Fantasy or Sci-Fi (Harry Potter/Lord OF The Rings to Day of the Triffids, A Clockwork Orange, Black Library novels and moving into authors including Philip K Dick, Arthur C Clarke, Alfred Bester amongst others). As a result of a reding list in one of the Sci-Fi magazines the nearest novel I have picked up is "The Female Man" by Joanna Russ (in addition to the named authors above). I read an extract and thought the premise looked good so that is next up on my reading list.

The only TG-related book I have heard of is a book called "My Husband Betty" which also looks interesting, though I haven't heard much about it.

So does anyone have any suggestions at all?

Thanks

Kirsty Hall

StaceyJane
01-18-2011, 09:14 AM
One of the best TG related sci fi is "Steel Beach" by John Varley. The main character has a couple of sex changes in it as does several other characters. It has a great decription of a sex change in the future. If only it was that easy today.

In the non fiction area I just finished "True Selves" which is a pretty studey of transsexuals. I read that book and could relate to so much in it.

Karren H
01-18-2011, 09:38 AM
I bought two new books over the holidays... My Husband Betty and The Lady Chablis - Hiding my Candy... about the famous drag queen Chablis from Savannah.. Both at Barnes and Noble

I once read a book where all males on earth were gradually turning into females... Due to some kind of meteor hitting the atmosphere.. It was really interesting... I don't remember the title and have not been able to find it anywhere online.

I also have The Lazy Crossdresser and Crossdress For Success... Both good books.

SusanMarie
01-18-2011, 06:36 PM
'Alice in Genderland' by Dr Richard Novic

StacyCD
01-18-2011, 06:54 PM
I liked Out and About: The Emancipated Crossdresser and Crossdressing with Dignity.

cj
01-18-2011, 07:51 PM
A few that I really enjoyed are "The Jessica Project" and "New Girl". Fun little reads. :)
http://www.amazon.com/New-Girl-Mike-Reynolds/dp/159286127X/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1295398153&sr=8-2-fkmr0 http://www.amazon.com/Jessica-Project-Thomas-Farrell/dp/1591294592/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1295398213&sr=1-1

Coyote
01-18-2011, 09:00 PM
OK, so if you like the fantasy / Sci Fi aspect, and don't mind the characters to be anthropomorphic IE: "furry", then a great book about a crossdressing fox, a tiger football star who thought he was straight, only to fall in love with the fox... I got to post an excerpt that had me dancing:

Out of Position by Kyell Gold

..."I don't know what I want!" I howl.My claws are in and out and in and out and my tail is lashing.

He looks at me and gives me that throaty Lauren Bacollie again "Well, handsome, come back and see me when you do."

He starts to close the door. I can't let him walk away and I can't follow him. I can't sleep with women and I can't sleep with guys. I'm caught between two worlds and it's tearing me to pieces.

I wedge my foot in the door. He backs away a couple of steps. I scream at him "You've ruined me for women!"

We stand and look at each other for an eternity. Slowly, he gets that cocky smile on his muzzle, but theres a sad sweetness behind it too. "Oh honey" he says, and reaches out with those gentle fingers to tickle my chin.

"You were never for the women."

I stare at him. I want to wipe that smile off his muzzle. I want to slap his face, knock him down, make him take it all back. I hate his smugness. I hate his scent. I hate the gulf between us, the fact hes standing so perfectly in his world, where he belongs, and I no longer know where I belong.

I hate the fact hes right.

I step into his apartment and grab him. He squirms in the half-second before I press my muzzle to his, then he melts into the kiss.

I'd forgotten...

boy2girl31
01-18-2011, 09:18 PM
depends on your age I have recently re-read "diary of a crossdresser" it is about and older gurl but is very interesting.

awesomestuff
01-18-2011, 09:29 PM
Alright, this one is definitely not trans-gender themed but since you said you like sci-fi and fantasy, have you read House of Leaves? Out of all the books I have read (which isn't a ton haha) this is by far one of the best. I would consider it a modern american classic and many others would agree.

Christine Andrews
01-19-2011, 09:40 AM
Thank you all for the recommendations.

I have made a note of the suggestions you have made to look into when pay day eventually rolls around.

Karren first of all, you look so much like one of my female friends from University on your photo I had to do a double take :). I have heard reference made to My Husband Betty and The Lazy Crossdressr so I may start with these.

awesomestuff - I haven't read a great deal myself yet. I got a few books for Christmas and picked up afew in the sales and I am slowly working through them. I've always had an interest in Sci-Fi and Fantasy for as long as I can remember (an escape from the mundane reality) and my interest in reading was reignited by John Wyndham's The Day Of The Triffids. I haven't heard of House of Leaves but I will look into it.

Again, many, many thanks for all of your input.

Kirsty Hall

CaitlynRenee
01-19-2011, 09:53 AM
'Alice in Genderland' by Dr Richard Novic

Ditto this one. It's a great, humorous yet still serious book. A TRUE story as well.

"My Husband Betty" is also a classic as well as the sequal, "She's Not The Man I Married". The writing style, seen from the SOs side of things is quite inspiring.

For those trending towards the eventual TS life, read "She's Not There" by Jennifer Finney Boyle.

Eryn
01-19-2011, 08:15 PM
In the fiction realm: The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin.

Some interesting gender issues are integral to the plot.

I have to agree with the recommendation for Steel Beach by Varley. Ah, if change were only so easy...

NathalieX66
01-19-2011, 10:31 PM
I know Glamour Boutique http://www.glamourboutique.com/ sells TG fiction.

I've never bought any TG fiction, but then again I never buy fiction. But I do have the Lazy Crossdresser, and Crossdress for Success, as well as Miss Vera's Boys Who Want to be Girls.

DianeDeBris
01-21-2011, 12:24 AM
I liked Out and About: The Emancipated Crossdresser and Crossdressing with Dignity.

I've read almost all the CD materials mentioned in this thread and have benefitted from them all. These two, suggested by StacyCD, are among the very best (IMHO) -- and this leads me to ask a question that's been troubling me: the author of these two excellent works is Lacey Leigh, who has in the past been very active in the CD community nationally and for a long time maintained a fine website. That site is no longer available. Does anyone know where Lacey is, or how she can be reached? Thanks and hugs! Diane

patti.jean
01-21-2011, 07:58 AM
This is link to a thread I started sometime ago on a CD fiction book that I enjoyed.

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?102797-A-Turkish-Delight-Mystery&highlight=

Patti

carolyn todd
01-26-2011, 06:36 AM
hello kirsty
have a look at http://www.fictionmania.tv/ they do short stories.

carolyn xx

Alberta_Pat
01-26-2011, 06:58 AM
There are a number of books by Robert Heinlein that may fit the bill. Perhaps "I Will Fear No Evil" would be one of the better ones along this line. Then you may wish to look into the "Lazarus Long" series.