PDA

View Full Version : Girl Voice or Guy voice, when in public??

Natalee
01-19-2011, 05:56 PM
I've never gone out in public, dressed to the 9's. I've only done random things like: nail-polish, covert clothing items, minimally dressed in a drive-thru, or fully dressed under my winter coat. I only wonder (and day-dream) to myself, of the full experience of going out in public. And everything that entails.

So, I'm VERY curious, how YOU personally handle interaction with others..

When YOU are going out in full attire, make-up, heels, everything. Do you, use a "girl" voice; or your "guy" voice? Do you address certain people differently, or does it depend on how much you are dressed?? Do you ever slip-up, in this regard?

When I'm working in my office, and on the phone, I'm almost always dressed; but I always use my normal guy voice..

Dawna Ellen Bays
01-19-2011, 06:02 PM
Let's put it this way...I don't have a "girl" voice...

Kaz
01-19-2011, 06:14 PM
If I'm dressed but working from home... I am working so it's who they expect..

Out and about... I haven't got to talking yet... on the occasaions I have had to interact it had been a bit a mumble! I need to work on this but to be honest as I am getting seriously into facial decline (i.e I am increasingly looking look like an old man in the bathroom mirror), I more concerned with make-up techniques... though I did buy a digital recorder and I should use it to work on this! I must admit having a female voice would be very helpful!

CamillaCD
01-19-2011, 06:22 PM
I always use my guy voice.

Jennifer Freeman
01-19-2011, 06:42 PM
It's odd to think about this:straightface: - my voice doesn't change, but how I use it does:heehee: - the inflections change slightly.:daydreaming:
Jennifer Freeman:devil:

DebsUK
01-19-2011, 06:44 PM
I've not worked on any sort of femme voice yet. I keep meaning to do a few trials, but haven't got round to it yet. Speaking in a passable female register would be fantastic, but I think it takes a LOT of work. Otherwise I speak softly in my normal male voice

Kaz
01-19-2011, 06:44 PM
My wife's biggest complaint when we go to tg events are the folks that refuse to work on their voice, but pass in every other way. No one expects perfection, but some of them could at least TRY.

I am thinking of being out in my skimpy black dress, heels, diamante sandals, hair to perfection, make-up, nails just right... and I open my mouth.... and Darth Vader speaks to the nation!

Suzi Q
01-19-2011, 06:45 PM
I always use a voice appropriate to how I am dressed. I think it must not be too bad because I don't get any funny looks, even when I dressed to go to car shows and talked to two or three guys at a time sitting by their cars under canopies! When I sing, I sing base, so I have to go up an octave, but it comes out pretty naturally and I don't even think about it.

Stephanie Miller
01-19-2011, 06:55 PM
I use a softer me voice. (and I'm sure they know I'm a guy). If I tried to pull of a female voice it would come across as a mix between Mini Mouse and Rosanne Barr! :eek:

Persephone
01-19-2011, 06:57 PM
If you are "out-and-about" you have to speak or you will immediately invite scrutiny. Women often casually talk to other women, even complete strangers. Not responding will attract attention.

My "guy voice" is deep and distresses me. In girl mode I raise it as much as I can without going into falsetto, soften it as much as possible, drop the volume and try to use more fluid feminine variations. It seems to work as no-one gives me funny looks nor questions it, but I wish it was better.

Natalee
01-19-2011, 07:05 PM
Very interesting, I love the diversity of responses. I have seen a YouTube on voice training; I may try for fun one day off (alone!)

Kaz, I feel exactly the same!

My God, KittyKitty that Pink-Vader posting was classic!

Cynthia Anne
01-19-2011, 07:07 PM
I just have a guy voice, but you will always see me with earrings and my purse!

suchacutie
01-19-2011, 07:08 PM
If you look at the threads here that talk about voice, you will eventually come across a lovely young trangendered woman who is there to talk about not using your bass vocal cords, and the notion that it is totally incongruous to use a male voice when completely en femme. She makes her point but suddenly going back to her male voice and it's: OMG!!!!!

That convinced me. Tina has been working on her femme voice for 18 months and she uses it whenever she can. The male me also practices when alone because it's not just the voice and pitch, it's the changed nature of vocal inflection that's really hard! When we don't have that bass resonance anymore, inflections have to come from somewhere else, and that takes practice to be natural!

So it's very much a femme voice for Tina...effectively, a voice for Tina! Her voice.

tina

t-girlxsophie
01-19-2011, 07:28 PM
I've never put on a girlie voice when out as I dont think it would change anyones perceptions of me if i talked softly,I dont pass so it seems pointless to me,also I just sound like a really bad caricture of a woman,sort of little britain crossed with monty python:eek:

:hugs:Sophie

S. Lisa Smith
01-19-2011, 07:31 PM
I try to use a femme voice when I'm dressed. I have been taking voice lessons and I think it really helps. It's not easy, but I practice each day and I think it's coming along.

Rachel Morley
01-19-2011, 07:44 PM
When I am at our TG support group's parties and events I always plan to use my girl voice but invariably, I'm having such a great time that I tend to "forget" and slip back into my boy voice. It happens all the time. However, outside a TG event, in the mainstream public, I always use my girl voice which is a slightly higher, quieter, and softer version of my boy voice.

Jilmac
01-19-2011, 07:55 PM
I have tried to practice a girl voice on numerous occasions but as a natural baritone it comes out sounding fake, so I just soften my natural voice to sound more like a tenor female. When in public interacting with others I will use my tenor voice which sounds close enough to feminine to pass.

sissystephanie
01-19-2011, 08:32 PM
I have a very masculine voice that no amount of training will help make feminine!! I decided many years ago to just go with it and not worry about it. Even when I was going out completely as Stephanie (with wig and makeup!) I never had any real problems. Since I go out now dressed enfemme, but looking like the man that I am, my voice is right in line!!

gwenbeth
01-19-2011, 08:55 PM
I use my girl voice. I use the time while im commuting to and from work to practice. But it is more than just the pitch, its the inflections and rhythm too. Also for some reason, I have a much stronger southern accent as Gwen then I do in guy-mode.

Melissa Rose
01-19-2011, 09:01 PM
When I am at our TG support group's parties and events I always plan to use my girl voice but invariably, I'm having such a great time that I tend to "forget" and slip back into my boy voice. It happens all the time. However, outside a TG event, in the mainstream public, I always use my girl voice which is a slightly higher, quieter, and softer version of my boy voice.

Rachel does a nice job with her voice. Using a quieter and softer version goes a long way in creating a fem voice.

I'm lucky to have the ability to create an acceptable fem voice. I wish it was better, but it seems to work. Actually, it is not that different from my male voice in pitch, but my vocal inflections and prosody are very different. When I'm out, I'll talk to anyone without hesitation or reservation.

I was out on New Years Eve and using the stall in the women's restroom at a bar. It only had one stall. For some reason, no one else was in it when I entered. I went into the stall and was about finished when a woman comes in and starts talking about it being a pain when guys use the women's restroom (it was a gay bar and there is also an unisex restroom in the place). She saw a guy walk into the restroom a minute or two before and assumed he was still in there. When I responded, she said "you don't sound like a man" which made me laugh and smile. A few seconds later I was on my way out of the stall and when I opened the door, she said, "oh, you're not a man." We chatted for a minute more while I was washing my hands and she was taking care of business. I found the whole situation quite amusing.

JohnH
01-19-2011, 09:03 PM
I raise my voice and soften it so it is a feminine baritone since my natural voice is basso profundo. I have to also vary the pitch more than I do naturally.

Johanna

TessaGirl
01-19-2011, 10:31 PM
I now try to always automatically use a more feminine-sounding voice rather than a masculine one in any situation really.

NathalieX66
01-19-2011, 10:42 PM
I have a natural alto voice that is somehwere between male & female, but sometimes it likes to hit the lower registers. Last weekend I found myself overcompensating while ordering coffee at Starbuck's, and thought I sounded like a complete idiot. I have a very limited octave range.
What's even worse is sometimes in public, the reaction from people such as waitresses, cashiers, sales attendants is often so neutral and unaware that I'm not really a woman, I'm so afraid to speak in my normal voice and I end up doing a Harpo Marx routine by trying to gesture instead of talking. It has happened.

OK, F*** it, I'll talk in my normal voice.

thechic
01-19-2011, 10:46 PM
Do the girl voice thing 24/7

Rogina B
01-19-2011, 11:41 PM
I enjoy smiling and just chirping"morning" while out rollerblading in girl mode...I do have the immitation down pat...lol

Megan70
01-20-2011, 12:10 AM
I wrote a thread almost exactly like this in November 25th, here's the page:[http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?143899-Unconsciously-reverting-back-to-your-male-voice-when-socializing-with-other-CD-s&highlight=

Julogden
01-20-2011, 12:33 AM
I'm not saying we need to have a totally female voice, it just seems reasonable that we'd try to soften our speaking manner at least a bit to match our looks. With practice, pretty much any male can achieve a more feminine voice. It's like any other aspect of crossdressing, learn the techniques and then practice, a lot. I've always modified my voice to match my appearance, just seems natural to me. As I've said before, I don't get why anyone would work really hard to present a totally female appearance and then speak in a completely male voice, but to each their own.

Carol

KateSpade83
01-20-2011, 02:07 AM
When I go out in drag I use my femme voice. It's good enough to answer cashier questions and orders, but I'm underconfident with it for long conversations.

AmberM
01-20-2011, 03:14 AM
As one who has a tenor singing voice I have no problem presenting myself as a woman.

2SpeedTranny
01-20-2011, 05:28 AM
My wife's biggest complaint when we go to tg events are the folks that refuse to work on their voice, but pass in every other way. No one expects perfection, but some of them could at least TRY.

and the notion that it is totally incongruous to use a male voice when completely en femme.

Did it ever occur to you that a male dressed as a female is kind of incongruous?

I can only imagine the backlash were women required to deepen their voices 3 octaves when they wear jeans and hiking boots. My lovely gal loooooves to wear mens' suits... I'd love to be there when you try to tell her she needs to change her voice. She'd kick you in the jimmy.

Really... just a stupid, stupid idea.

Tara Jordan Campbell
01-20-2011, 06:10 AM
I use my regular voice but a little softer, quieter more like a whisper. It works for a while until the place where I am at livens up with music then its good O'l me again trying to shout.

ChristineM
01-20-2011, 08:41 AM
Did it ever occur to you that a male dressed as a female is kind of incongruous?

I can only imagine the backlash were women required to deepen their voices 3 octaves when they wear jeans and hiking boots. My lovely gal loooooves to wear mens' suits... I'd love to be there when you try to tell her she needs to change her voice. She'd kick you in the jimmy.

I'll have to disagree with you. Unless she's trying to present as male there would be no reason for her to assume a male voice. I *am* trying to present as female and a female voice is part of that. For someone who's purpose is just to be a guy in gal's clothing then it wouldn't matter.

Sandra
01-20-2011, 08:50 AM
My SO who is TS doesn't change her voice at all.. For her it is no biggie how she sounds, what matters is how she feels not how she sounds.

Mackenzie
01-20-2011, 09:12 AM
Several of us were together in Indianapolis last week and had this discussion around the dinner table. When I am Mackenzie, I want to talk in as much of a soft femme tone as possible. I work hard to have a feminine look; clothing, makeup, jewelry, hair, forms, etc. After all of that effort, why would I not also apply myself to work on my voice and come off as totally femme as possible?

I was walking in a store yesterday and passed three women. First, as I walked by them, I truly thought that all of them could possibly be CD-ers. Then, one of the spoke and the voice was really gravelly, low. I truly believe they were all GG's. I was in a Walmart in a hick town and they were also with "Farmer John" in his coveralls.

But my point is that when I thought about what I just heard come out of the lady's mouth, she did not sound femme really. When I record myself and play it back, I think (just my opinion) I sound somewhat femee. I do work hard on my voice so that I come off as femimine as possible in public.

Mackenzie

linnea
01-20-2011, 09:17 AM
I speak more softly with a slight inflection and emphasis at the end of statements; I don't have a particularly low voice, but I do make an effort to be a little lighter and very slightly higher in some intonation. Really, I try to keep it as naturel as I can.

linda allen
01-20-2011, 10:00 AM
You can work on your voice all you want, but if you cough or clear your throat, it's a dead givaway.

Julogden
01-20-2011, 01:12 PM

Females wearing jeans and hiking boots aren't presenting as men, big difference.

t-girlxsophie
01-21-2011, 03:26 PM
I'm hoping this isn't becoming another elitist thing a la "Passing" Personally I don't think theres a right way to be regarding the way we speak,its surely up to the individual?

Dannigirl
01-21-2011, 04:50 PM
I use my almost male voice, everybody says I sound like my mom and my sister on the phone when I first answer it so for the longest time I was very aware of how I answered the phone and use that voice when I am out and I really don't speak that much unless I am super comfortable and I am pretty sure most SA's can tell that I am a CD when they get up close so then it doesn't matter too much.

Kim Welcher
01-21-2011, 11:46 PM
When out in public I always a girl voice.

2SpeedTranny
01-22-2011, 02:30 PM
Really? We can't have an intelligent conversation without it degrading to insults? Sorry, but to me, in my humble opinion, it seems that dressing like a woman when you're a man is a really stupid idea,

edit= Never mind, from your prior posts, it looks like you're comfortable being perceived as a dude in a dress.

Well, yeah, it is kinda dumb! My life would be a lot simpler if I didn't need 3x the wardrobe, and cheaper not buying makeup and all the assorted finery. It really makes no sense... I've been asked why I do this, and the only answer I have is "I'll tell ya when I figure it out myself!"

I'm not sure why you perceive a bluntly worded opinion to be an "insult." It's just my opinion, and I can phrase it however I like. Anyone is free to disagree -- but why take it personally?

Anyway... it's not about being perceived as a man in a dress... that's the simple reality of it. That's what I am. I guess I'm just not so given to flights of fancy as are many here. I've been called "sir" when I've gone all out on my appearance; I've been called "ma'am" for no more effort than wearing a nice blouse, no makeup, and a day's growth of beard. None of it really matters.

It all just seems contradictory to me -- on one hand, there's a clear majority opinion here that men should be able to wear whatever they want. So why the huge emphasis on "passing?" Why does everyone you encounter have to think you're a woman to get away with wearing what women wear? If you want more acceptance for crossdressers, then wear it proudly! How is society ever going to go for this if half of you are hiding behind a facade?

Females wearing jeans and hiking boots aren't presenting as men, big difference.

I must have missed something. As far as I know, crossdressing/transvestism has a fairly narrow definition relating to wearing clothing classified in a certain way. So, a woman wearing clothes from the men's section of the department store is every bit the tranny that I am. There's nothing in the definition, as far as I'm aware, that includes passing, presentation, or changing one's voice.

Yet I get the feeling that trannies like you look down your noses at trannies like me. Am I not good enough? The name of this site, after all, is "crossdressers.com" not "menwhothinkthey'rewomen.com!"

I know that's blunt... but really... who made up these rules? And why should I follow them?

PretzelGirl
01-22-2011, 02:58 PM
I must have missed something. As far as I know, crossdressing/transvestism has a fairly narrow definition relating to wearing clothing classified in a certain way. So, a woman wearing clothes from the men's section of the department store is every bit the tranny that I am. There's nothing in the definition, as far as I'm aware, that includes passing, presentation, or changing one's voice.

So what if the woman is wearing jeans and boots from the woman's section?

Julogden
01-23-2011, 12:47 PM
Well, yeah, it is kinda dumb! My life would be a lot simpler if I didn't need 3x the wardrobe, and cheaper not buying makeup and all the assorted finery. It really makes no sense... I've been asked why I do this, and the only answer I have is "I'll tell ya when I figure it out myself!"

I'm not sure why you perceive a bluntly worded opinion to be an "insult." It's just my opinion, and I can phrase it however I like. Anyone is free to disagree -- but why take it personally?

Anyway... it's not about being perceived as a man in a dress... that's the simple reality of it. That's what I am. I guess I'm just not so given to flights of fancy as are many here. I've been called "sir" when I've gone all out on my appearance; I've been called "ma'am" for no more effort than wearing a nice blouse, no makeup, and a day's growth of beard. None of it really matters.

It all just seems contradictory to me -- on one hand, there's a clear majority opinion here that men should be able to wear whatever they want. So why the huge emphasis on "passing?" Why does everyone you encounter have to think you're a woman to get away with wearing what women wear? If you want more acceptance for crossdressers, then wear it proudly! How is society ever going to go for this if half of you are hiding behind a facade?

Yet I get the feeling that trannies like you look down your noses at trannies like me. Am I not good enough? The name of this site, after all, is "crossdressers.com" not "menwhothinkthey'rewomen.com!"

I know that's blunt... but really... who made up these rules? And why should I follow them?

I'm not looking down my nose at anyone. If anyone is perceiving a blunt opinion as an insult, I'd say it's you. It appears to me that you're just looking for a fight with people here for some reason.

Carol

2SpeedTranny
01-24-2011, 05:14 AM
I can only speak for myself in that I would never look down my nose at anyone expressing their desired dress.

No, I didn't get that from you.

your core ID is male. A ts's isn't.

I thought we were talking about crossdressers...?

I think the majority of people on here feel the same way, so in fact, your opinion is an interesting shift against the status quo

Yeah, it's weird. I've cut against the grain most of my life. It's ironic that I find myself here for precisely that reason... only to find myself questioning another status quo.

Granted, the majority isn't always wrong, but one should always question. Mencken said it best, I think: "'the majority' usually means that all the idiots are on the same side."

linda allen
01-24-2011, 08:36 AM
Anyone remember the Sienfeld eppisode about the 'high talker" where they couldn't tell on the phone if they were talking to the male or the female?

Angiemead12
01-24-2011, 07:07 PM
I wish I had a choice but I'm stuck with my guy voice. I try but I don't think I convince anyone but myself.

Fab Karen
01-24-2011, 07:25 PM
As long as you don't sound like Darth Vader, don't worry about it. Relax & lighten ( not soften in volume ) - the opposite of back in high school when you worked to deepen your voice "to be more manly." If you talk like Minnie Mouse, people will find it ridiculous.

Kitty Sue
01-24-2011, 08:03 PM
Me man voice is all this lady knows. Oh yeah!

Eva_nine
01-24-2011, 08:31 PM
the voice outs me but i do tend to soften up and like others have said the inflections and conversation roles change.

dilane
01-24-2011, 09:35 PM
I use a femme voice. It took me a few years to get it acceptable (to the point where clerks when talking about me say "she", and "ma'am" while engaged in conversation).

My natural singing voice is baritone. I raise my pitch a 4th (three note steps as in do-re-me-fa above the boy pitch). Now you're into the female zone.

Next is getting the resonance/texture/nasality right by using the head, not the chest as a resonator.

The hardest step is learning to use inflections and loudness in the way that women typically do. That was the most challenging, and I still practice by mimicking female performers I hear on the radio and television. I had a great deal of resistance due to the programming we males get to avoid any hint of feminine vocal modulation. We wouldn't want to sound gay, would we? (BTW, the main difference between sounding "gay" and "femme" is in the loudness and attack of syllables).

It can be done, I thought I was hopeless. I've had many GG's compliment me on my voice.

-- Diane

IamSara
01-24-2011, 09:54 PM
It's odd to think about this:straightface: - my voice doesn't change, but how I use it does:heehee: - the inflections change slightly.:daydreaming:
Jennifer Freeman:devil:[/B]
BINGO!!!! I have a long way to go but that is how I do it.
Sarah

Livea
02-20-2011, 07:16 AM
when I have been out 1st time, I didn't get my teeth to open, but to smile only. :)

But than I found this link and do practice this now (also by recording my own voice and listen to it for self assessment) and the more I do this practice, I believe I will be more confident to use it out in public as well.

http://www.looking-glass.greenend.org.uk/voice.htm

dawnmarrie1961
02-20-2011, 04:17 PM
Natalee, I always use the voice that I was born with which often draws a double take from whom ever happens to be around me. Passing is an over rated concept. To me personally it is a form of "deception". And perhaps one can say that how I present myself could be considered a 'deception" too. And they would probably be true if a kept my darn mouth shut but once I start talking it removes all doubt as to "what" I am.

"It's a guy!" "She's a he." "That ain't no woman. That is a man!!" I've heard it all.

It's just little old me....Dawnmarrie.

Alice Torn
02-20-2011, 05:29 PM
To be honest, I had to laugh out loud! I pictured GG's trying to make their voices manly, before going out in public, in jeans!!!!!!!!!

Chickhe
02-21-2011, 02:34 AM
I have a deep male voice, I have gone out several times and have rarely had the need to speak anymore than a few words. I whisper and use a lot of body language and nodding and such to basically say, thanks, but I'm fine on my own. At parties, I don't try to fool anyone and speak in my natural voice and people enjoy it. They tell me I look like a female until I speak and in some rare cases they didn't put it together until my wife called me her husband. ...there is some enjoyment in outting yourself at a party because people are usually facinated by the transformation, but I don't let on that its anymore than a party activity. ...all that said, I am working on a female voice because I would love to just go out in daylight and be able to chat up a storm without raising too many eyebrows.

BillieJoEllen
02-21-2011, 01:16 PM
My goodness! Whats a feminine voice? lol sigh..... don't I wish.....

NathalieX66
02-22-2011, 08:18 PM
My voice is a bit midrange, but it's unpredictable.
I can't tell you how many times, while en femme I've interacted with sales attendants, waitresses, even the person behind the counter at Starbucks thinking my gender-ambiguous voice is going to roll off my tongue, then I hit the deep registers (yikes!).
I've gotten so worried about it, perhaps unnecessarily so....mainly because I don't want to blow a good thing when I've gotten decent ( and hopefully unfazed) reaction by the people I've mentioned above to the point I've made hand gestures instead of talking. I honestly enjoy interacting with people, but I've gotten too self-conscious as of late, and I don't think that's a good thing.

Cindygirl65
02-24-2011, 09:08 PM
When I go out I use my girls voice and address people normally. At first I was nervous but I got used to going out as Cindy or Angela ( my other character). I almost slipped up when I was on line at Stewarts. The lady behind the counter was helping another customer and I was next when someone asked her a question for help. She said this lady is next and I thought what lady? I'm next. Then the long brown hair of my wig caught my eye and I remembered I am the lady she was talking about. I almost gave myself away. I would advise you if you want to go out start small. Grocery stores, Dukin Donuts. Just remember to look serious and act as your girlself. Good luck. Cindy.

april_lynn
02-24-2011, 10:07 PM
I am still working on my voice but I think I finally discovered it for sure a few days ago. I had worked on a variety of techniques but my voice just sort of fell into a place that finally sounded feminine without sounding fake. When I am dressed it just doesn't feel right to not use a more feminine voice. I almost feel like that voice is the voice that has been trying to break out of me for years!

April

jjjjohanne
02-26-2011, 06:52 AM
Ina Fried is a reporter for CNET and a TG who has transitioned full time. You can find videos and interviews on the Internet. As far as I can tell, Ina uses a natural manly sounding voice.

Elena Ornamental
02-26-2011, 06:58 AM
I'm going to post this publicly but since you asked the question Here I am. If you're musically inclined at all. Think of a scale: do re mi fa so. It's the so pitch you want to use for a femme voice. Best, Elena Ornamental (accent on the last syllable)

Charise52
02-26-2011, 03:43 PM
When I did wear skirts in public, I deliberately acted shy, and spoke very softly and very little, and used hand gestures a lot... when I go out in womens' jeans and tops and ear rings, I use my normal guy voice...