PDA

View Full Version : school holidays

Princess29
01-20-2011, 04:31 AM
I was hoping that west coast USA members can help me with an enquiry please.

I was in Vegas and LA last year at the end of March and wasnt aware that it was school holidays at that time in the USA. In australia, the easter school holidays commence after the easter weekend but last year, I found out that its not the same in the USA.
In Vegas, I wanted to go out as Melissa and also just do some shopping for girl stuff and the extra amount of people made it extremely difficult and annoying for me.
I have been gearing up to return to the USA this year and also to attend Divas Las Vegas. With easter being so late this year, I was hoping that I wouldnt have the same problems that I did last year but is that the case?
I'm talking about purely from a school holidays point of view. I will still have other issues to overcome but is there a uniform time for school holidays in California and Vegas?
I was looking at going to San Francisco and LA at the end of March and then go to Divas.
Please tell me how it works

Melissa

Christie ann
01-20-2011, 09:54 AM
I used to live in a resort area. It seems there is someone on spring break all through March and most of April. The spring vacation does not have to coincide with Easter.

Roberta Marie
01-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Here in the states the schools are all locally run entities, run by local school boards. Each board sets its own calendar. So, the week that LA schools are on break may be different than when the Vegas schools are on break, or even different from when the neighboring school district is on break. Colleges and universities likewise each set their own calendars.

So, there's no guarantee that there will be any more or fewer folks in the tourist areas.

That said, San Francisco, LA, and Vegas are all such big metropolitan areas with such diverse populations, you shouldn't let the school schedules dictate whether you go someplace en femme of in guy mode. Most people that are on break are so busy trying to have a good time or beat the crowds that they probably wouldn't notice, and most that do won't care.

Just my opinion.

docrobbysherry
01-20-2011, 11:13 AM
Here's the way it works in Cal, Princess:

Some school districts have their holiday the week BEFORE Easter, others the week AFTER! That makes it easier on the entire state population! That's why I'm able to attend DLV this year! My information comes from 20 years of raising school age kids, my sister who teaches in another part of the state, and friends with kids in other Cal. cities. No idea about Nevada!

AllieSF
01-20-2011, 02:10 PM
I agree with the others, don't let the school holidays interfere with your plans. Your destinations are always busy with tourists, adults and children, while at the same time being perfect places for us TG's to get out and about to blend right in with all the other people. San Francisco is especially friendly and you will have no problem there (here for me). Please look me up if you make it here.

Gerrijerry
01-20-2011, 02:54 PM
Been to las Vegas many times. I can say for sure that is one place where being a CD/ts/gay/lesbian has no effect on anyone else. Go where you want have fun. All that counts in LV is how much $ you can go home with and how much they get to keep. They do not care if you walked around almost naked. as long as you are having fun and spending money.

Sara Jessica
01-20-2011, 03:03 PM
....I have been gearing up to return to the USA this year and also to attend Divas Las Vegas.

I think your question has already been answered but just to add something, it's actually kind of fun to embrace the crowds. We're not seen by the masses all that often and for the most part it's a pretty fun experience. That said, we do have a Diva Las Vegas thread going in the Upcoming Events section and if it's ok with you, I'd like to add your name to the roll call.

RADER
01-20-2011, 03:06 PM
Most of the grade schools have their spring break the last week of March.
Now Easter floats, so it may be on Easter or not. Allot of schools have the day before
Easter weekend ( FRI) off.
Colleges have a different schedule, and it varies from late March until Mid April. Rader

Princess29
01-21-2011, 06:20 AM
Thanks for your replies.
If you travel anywhere during school holidays in the world, I guess you are likely to encounter the same problems ie a lot more people and hotels can be jacked up in price a fair bit. I'm trying to tie it in with my birthday so I'd have the same problem every year if I travel to the USA.
Last year on my trip, a lot of things didnt work out how I'd planned (nothing serious, just more a bummer than anything) and they kind of built up on top of each other.
While nothing is booked yet (or decided on for that matter), if I go ahead with my original plan, Las Vegas would be the only place where I'd go out in girl mode and even then, I dont imagine it would be that much. If I proceed with it, I will try and line up to definately meet up with other members so I'm not going everywhere by myself which was part of the problem last year and I will definately not stay at fremont street so I'm not away from all the action and have to travel forever to get to anywhere of note.
I've gone out as Melissa several times now, both in australia and also in Las Vegas a couple of times (4 years ago, las vegas was where melissa was "born") and my comfort level goes from "extremely nervous" to probably "I'll just keep my head down and hope nobody notices me" (that's probably the best way to describe how I feel). There havent been too many times where I've had a feeling of contentment or "at peace" while out in girl mode as like most things, I usually end up having to do it by myself.

Melissa

Dawna Ellen Bays
01-21-2011, 07:16 AM
I've been to LV a zillion times, and have seen plenty of us girls there every time I've been there. I haven't been there in over 10 years now, but the last time I was there I went the week before Christmas (the airfare was SO cheap and the hotel offered me a ridiculously low rate to get me there). The town was nearly deserted (there was even a dusting of snow one night), especially at night...I don't think anyone would give you a second look...