PDA

View Full Version : Talking with high school girls

Shelby
01-21-2011, 06:39 PM
The other day I was working in our schools Costume Room with 2 of my Theater Girls our supplies for a 1 Act Play Competition this weekend. As we were selecting hair products, makeup and other items we noticed that we were short on bobby pins. I mentioned that a ton had been used in my hair this fall when I allowed some of the girls to have fun and give me a 1960's poofy hairstyle like seen on Mad Men. The one girl in the had not seen this done to me, so showed her a pic of what they were doing. She then told me that she does her brothers hair up whenever he is in theater productions and that he plays women on stage a lot.

So this led to an interesting conversation. Apparently, my Tech's brother participates in a metro area theater company where the Director likes to cast men as women and women as men. I asked her is he can "pass" (opps, I used one of our code words) and She told me that he does pass for a really good looking girl. She told me about all the dresses that he has had to wear and how she helps him with his costumes, makeup and hair for shows.

Now both girls in the room have heard me mention in the past about my onstage dressing experiences and so I talked more about it and they want to see pics. I have no problem showing them this as it was done in the spirit of theater and well us theater people are weird like that. I would rather show them the pic that I am currently using as my avatar since it looks so much better then the one from murder mystery show I told them about.

Now I know some of you might be thinking I need to be careful here. Yes these are teenagers and there is very blurry line when working with them. It isn't that they would be bothered by seeing me in fem, but that they might mention it to others as a conversation piece and those people might use it in a bad way towards me. I don't have the same teacher/student relationship that other employees have. My kids call me by my first name and I am that dude in the theater who gives the kids a place to call home for 4 years. I trust my kids and know that these 2 particular girls would be great to share my theater pics with but certainly not tell them about my cding. The thing is, I have a hard time thinking that this girls brother only dresses for stage. Since he apparently does this often and has his own clothing and accessories, I'm gonna guess this is more part of his life then what his sister would be willing to tell me. If so, it would be interesting if he were to also be a member of this site. It was interesting how much I had to hold back on what I could tell these girls about my cding life without letting the cat out of the bag, but it was nice to see how open minded they are. It really does reaffirm my belief that kids today really don't care who or what you are and don't like to be labeled.

Oh and if there is a guy who lives in the South Metro area of the Twin Cities that performs in theater productions occasionally as a girl and has a younger sister who helps him with his looks, then we might know someone in common.

renee k
01-21-2011, 07:13 PM
Really cool blog, Shelby! I think it would be really great if could meet the girl's brother you spoke of in your post. Just shows how small our world is.

Renee

Cynthia Anne
01-21-2011, 07:33 PM
I think you may be right on all accounts, but be very careful! You don't want to lose your job and have a lawsuit to deal with! I say go for it! BE CAREFUL! By the way, you have a lovely picture!

joank
01-21-2011, 07:36 PM
As a retired teacher/administrator I speak from experience---Do not take this any farther. Kids will use anything so never give them a opening. Do not share anymore of your past life. It counts for naught with them and leaves you open for lots of rumors and such that you don't want. Remember, be a significant adult, not a friend.

Bootsiegalore
01-21-2011, 07:39 PM
---Do not take this any farther. I TOTALLY Agree with this statement!

Shelby
01-21-2011, 07:51 PM
yes I agree. It is good to be a friend to these kids, but even an innocent mentioning of this to another student can be a problem. Although it is not a policy by the school, we as staff do not friend students on Facebook until they are out of school or we no longer work there. Even then, some grads are still friends with current students, so sometimes privacy can be difficult to maintain. Thanks for the advice.

jfem
01-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Shelby, you said you were working at the school, if you are getting paid or even volunteering in a school you are the same as a teacher. You will be considered by the Law as having authority over the students. If you show them or talk about anything that even remotely might be inappropriate you may find yourself in SERIOUS CRIMINAL TROUBLE. Please be careful.

On the other side of the coin, You look amazing in your avatar!!

Sandy Banks
01-21-2011, 10:35 PM
Legally speaking, it's called "in loco parentis", in place of the parent........you have to be extremely careful in any type of educational setting......................:2c:.....oh yes, your avatar is really cute!!!

Persephone
01-22-2011, 03:44 AM
As a retired teacher/administrator I speak from experience---Do not take this any farther. Kids will use anything so never give them a opening. Do not share anymore of your past life. It counts for naught with them and leaves you open for lots of rumors and such that you don't want. Remember, be a significant adult, not a friend.

Sorry Shelby, but I completely agree with Joan K. and some of the others. Bad vibes about getting too close with students.

I have no doubt that you are a wonderful and caring person and that you have done some great things with these students, but please be both careful and professional.

Hugs,
Persephone.

Shelby
01-22-2011, 07:16 AM
Thank you everyone for your advice, but as I already stated in my second post, I would share my pics with them. I am well aware of the fine line that those of us walk working with young people. I am fortunate that my kids have a very open and liberal way of seeing the world, but there are limits I guess. It is nice to that the younger generations have such an open mind to this fun lifestyle though. So again, thanks for your advice and even if they should ask to see such photos, I will not show them.