PDA

View Full Version : Do I need FFS?

Natasha Anne
09-18-2005, 12:32 PM
Be honest and help me figure out what I need getting done. I don't want, "you look good stuff", unless you mean it. I'm closing in on RLT and want to get some things done as necessary, and cannot be narcissistic about this. I've attached 3 photos of myself, neither shows my real hairline, but perhaps you can point out areas in which I can get improvement.

I do want to get my nose done, it's just ginormous and am also considering some sort of brow lift. Help!!!

I've purposely not posted my most flattering pics. The photos are completely undoctored. I've not even changed the exposure or removed the red-eye. They are also from the same evening in late July '05, as is my avatar and before any hormones got involved.

Some honesty and/or suggestions about what FFS procedure I would need would be very helpful. I can handle honestly.

More pics at my homepage (listed in my sig. Some are really old, but they have the years written on them, if you need more data to work with.

Hugs
Me

Deborah757
09-18-2005, 01:04 PM
Personally, I don't think you need any FFS. I think you look just fine. And if you are considering FFS you probably should wait a while to see what the hormones do to the way you look. Actually, I am kind off envious of you, both for the way you look and for your decision to transition. So, whether you like it or not, you have now become my role model. LOL :D

Natasha Anne
09-18-2005, 01:25 PM
No problem with that Deborah, you've posted some good information that I've been through to. My inner turmoil hasn't settled, it's just moved from should I/shouldn't to how am I going to deal with all the repurcusions of what people view as my choice, rather than recognising what it is. Perception is reality.

Your posts have helped me with my own thinking many times too

Lastly I've been on hormones for just over 8 weeks now, and people are commenting about my "weight loss". I suspect that is all in the changes to my face, because my body has not shrunk and I've not lost any weight since before starting them.

MarieTS
09-19-2005, 12:20 AM
Personally, I think you're ready to be "NatashaAllthe time! :)

But to satisfy your own concerns I suggest that you have a consult with a TS friendly plastic surgeon. Consider his/her recommendations and make the decision you feel is right for you.

GypsyKaren
09-19-2005, 06:38 AM
I think you look just great, and you have a pretty smile.

GypsyKaren

DonnaT
09-19-2005, 06:45 AM
I agree with Deborah. :)

MarinaTwelve200
09-19-2005, 06:53 AM
As an artist I can say--You certianly look to be within "fem Paramaters" face wise. A bit of work on your nose, (reducing the pointness of it a bit) wouldnt hurt and could be an improvement---a minor chin bob wouldnt hurt either--they would improve your looks and are certianly mot as radical as a FFS. You dont need to have any jaw ,forehead or eye work at all.

But STILL, like I said you ARE already within the Fem parameters--you might be looking for a couple surgical "tweaks" mentions above, just to improve your looks a bit---not that they arent OK now.

Vaerise
09-19-2005, 07:17 AM
You look pretty passable to me, but I feel every bit helps if you dont want to be clocked. Especially if you are like me, I have pretty broad shoulders that will get me read often if I do go out en femme. You could also get a Virtual FFS assessement done, while its not a end all be all assessement, it allows you to know at least can be realistically done to further enhance your feminine features imho.

Lisa Golightly
09-19-2005, 07:20 AM
You have a strong jawline. I think a bit of softening around the chin area would make all the difference. Your nose is fine, but if you do decide to change it you may find that other small alterations will be necessary to make the face seem proportional once more.

I think you look absolutely fine as you are... but then we all see ourselves differently to how the world sees us. Do what will make you feel happy in yourself. :)

Lilith Moon
09-19-2005, 08:29 AM
As others have said, your face looks well within GG parameters. If you are looking for perfection I would concur with the brow lift and softening around the jawline. Your nose is prominent, but that is not an especially masculine trait. All of my siblings, both male and female have prominent noses as does my daughter.

But I don't think you need a full FFS.

Katie Ashe
09-19-2005, 11:08 AM
I agree with Lisa, I think the bigest improvement would be a nose. Other than that, it's what you think of yourself that counts the most... please don't look for validation of your own feelings... The I'm fat syndrome...

Nyx
09-19-2005, 05:06 PM
I think people on here like to be flattering all the time, and tell everyone they look like models. But for the purpose of this thread, I will be perfectly honest.

You are not fully passable. You will probably pass for a woman when people don't pay attention, but they will notice that you are a TS as soon as they pay your face any attention. To me, your face does not look like an attractive womanly face (I did not say ugly either, I said *not* attractive).

I have definitely seen worst, however. The biggest improvement, as others have said, would be the nose. However, your jaw line could certainly be improved, and there are many other details (like your forehead), which people don't even think about, but when revised by a skilled surgeon, will make your face look *perfectly* feminine.

FFS could improve this dramatically, and if you are considering it, and in capacity to afford it, then I would definitely encourage you to go for it.

So here, I'm being fully honest.

Natasha Anne
09-20-2005, 05:14 PM
Thanks a lot everyone. I was wanting honesty. I guess when I'm in doubt, as I was before I posted this thread, I should have realised I knew the answer.

Nyx, thanks for the critical eye. It helps me a lot, when people don't pull punches. This is an important process and any bit of information or procedure that helps is certainly something I will consider.

And for anyone in any doubt. I've always hated my nose and will get it sorted out whenever the time comes. I like the comments about the chin too, and will probably get a brow life at minimum.

I think people on here like to be flattering all the time, and tell everyone they look like models. But for the purpose of this thread, I will be perfectly honest.

You are not fully passable. You will probably pass for a woman when people don't pay attention, but they will notice that you are a TS as soon as they pay your face any attention. To me, your face does not look like an attractive womanly face (I did not say ugly either, I said *not* attractive).

I have definitely seen worst, however. The biggest improvement, as others have said, would be the nose. However, your jaw line could certainly be improved, and there are many other details (like your forehead), which people don't even think about, but when revised by a skilled surgeon, will make your face look *perfectly* feminine.

FFS could improve this dramatically, and if you are considering it, and in capacity to afford it, then I would definitely encourage you to go for it.

So here, I'm being fully honest.

MaylinJane
09-20-2005, 09:20 PM
To me you look alot like Bonnie Rait. Nobody thinks she needs FFS.

May

Julie
09-20-2005, 10:45 PM
While FFS is considered by most to be a 'must' procedure, just like any voluntary surgery it should be done because you want it. No one else's opinion matters. You have to be happy with the image in the mirror or the one you see in photos. If you are, then what more can you ask for?

I'd suggest doing a lot of research on this. When I thought I was going to transition I joined the FFS-Support (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ffs-support) group on Yahoo. I learned more about FFS than I ever imagined existed.

There is also a website (http://www.virtualffs.co.uk/index.html) where you can submit your picture and they will computer generate realistic expectations of what you'd look like if you had FFS. Check out their links there and go to beginninglife.com (http://beginninglife.com/FFS.htm). They have a link to many before and after pictures that will help you understand what is realistic and what isn’t.

One thing you will find is the recovery is extremely long and initially very painful.

Do your research and it will better your chances of making the right decision.

Natasha Anne
09-21-2005, 04:52 PM
I do belong to both groups you mention. To be honest I didn't notice super radical differences, even with Dr. O, so one of my fears about losing the essence of who I am is definitely great negated.

I'm also a little discouraged, but the changes do not seem marked.

I guess if I had to list what I feel is important to me personally they would be:

1. Nose job, bit thinner, less pointy and big (in profile my nose sticks out). I've never liked it and people do comment about it, even in drab
2. Eyebrow life. My eyes are deepset, even though I don't suffer from too much bossing on my head
3. My hairline is a classic male M shape. I'm not receding but I'd like to get the hairline fixed
4. My chin annoys me.

I'm not sure if that is FFS, or if those just mean seeing a good plastic surgeon, but I'll probably get those done in Thailand with an FFS surgeon anyway. Right around the time I go fulltime. SRS can wait longer, I'm not out for any relationships, so other than reduction in hormones, and potentially delaying further development in my body, it really can.

I believe getting those 4 things above sorted out will help me with my self-confidence greatly.

The Yahoo FFS group and beginning life have been very useful to me. Especially in terms of setting my expectations and helping me understand the process.

While FFS is considered by most to be a 'must' procedure, just like any voluntary surgery it should be done because you want it. No one else's opinion matters. You have to be happy with the image in the mirror or the one you see in photos. If you are, then what more can you ask for?

I'd suggest doing a lot of research on this. When I thought I was going to transition I joined the FFS-Support (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ffs-support) group on Yahoo. I learned more about FFS than I ever imagined existed.

There is also a website (http://www.virtualffs.co.uk/index.html) where you can submit your picture and they will computer generate realistic expectations of what you'd look like if you had FFS. Check out their links there and go to beginninglife.com (http://beginninglife.com/FFS.htm). They have a link to many before and after pictures that will help you understand what is realistic and what isn’t.

One thing you will find is the recovery is extremely long and initially very painful.

Do your research and it will better your chances of making the right decision.

CharleneCD
09-21-2005, 07:52 PM
Natasha, Time for a two for the price of one opinion. Bunny and I are both in agreement.

1. Yes, get the nose done. Get the tip up and the flares down. The overall shape though is good.

2. Try some other techniques on shaping your eybrows before going for the lift. It might look funny if your eyebrow line sits above the bone where its supposed to be.

3. Whats the problem with your hairline???? It looks good. We would suggest waiting to see if you do start to recede before doing this. Why have surgery twice. Just go with the bangs. They look realy good on you.

4. Go for the chin. It definitely needs to be softened.

Overall though, you have a very pretty face. The picture from the side is totaly feminine. We have seen many GG's with much more masculine features than you.

Natasha Anne
09-22-2005, 02:53 PM
Thanks, shaping my eyebrows does help. You should see them when they not!

I appreciate your comments.

Nose and chin are definitely on my list, and I do so love bangs.

Also, as my hair gets longer, it seems to look better anyway. I'm fortunate that I'm not receding, but the classic M shape is there, so pulling back my hair tightly into a pony tail would bug me.

Natasha, Time for a two for the price of one opinion. Bunny and I are both in agreement.

1. Yes, get the nose done. Get the tip up and the flares down. The overall shape though is good.

2. Try some other techniques on shaping your eybrows before going for the lift. It might look funny if your eyebrow line sits above the bone where its supposed to be.

3. Whats the problem with your hairline???? It looks good. We would suggest waiting to see if you do start to recede before doing this. Why have surgery twice. Just go with the bangs. They look realy good on you.

4. Go for the chin. It definitely needs to be softened.

Overall though, you have a very pretty face. The picture from the side is totaly feminine. We have seen many GG's with much more masculine features than you.

MadisonLee
09-23-2005, 10:02 PM
umm what does FFS stand for?

Natasha Anne
09-25-2005, 02:39 PM
Thanks for this. I went to go look myself. It certainly puts things into perspective doesn't it. A few minor adjustments and I'll be just fine!:thumbsup:

To me you look alot like Bonnie Rait. Nobody thinks she needs FFS.

May

brendalee70
09-25-2005, 09:31 PM
Not to be rude, but, what is FFS?

BrendaLee

Marlena Dahlstrom
09-26-2005, 01:57 AM
Not to be rude, but, what is FFS?

Facial feminization surgery (http://www.tsroadmap.com/physical/face/facesurgidx.html). It usually involves some reshaping of the skull -- particularly eliminating the male browline and reshaping the jawline -- as well as soft tissue work. Here's one before and after example (http://www.cinematter.com/surgery.html).

Some TSs consider FFS more important than SRS, since it helps them live unnoticed.

Natasha Anne
09-26-2005, 11:42 AM
And I would be one of them :angel:

Some TSs consider FFS more important than SRS, since it helps them live unnoticed.

FionaAlexis
09-26-2005, 05:19 PM
Definitely not, Natasha.

I've always thought you looked very feminine and pretty and from a transitioning passing viewpoint I can't see what the prob is. There is nothing particularly masculine about your face from my view.

I think what you are talking about is cosmetic surgery to improve your looks - and that's up to you I guess. And I guess confidence comes into play too.

anyway - good luck.

Fiona xx

Elizabeth
09-29-2005, 08:08 PM
Hi Natashia,

I think you already have some very feminine looks to you. You have a nice pointy chin and you do not have a square jaw line that defines many men. You have a very narrow nose which is also very feminine looking. Could you look more feminine? Sure, but so could a lot of females.

Having said that, I agree that this is an extremely important decision that only you can make. It needs to be based on what you see in the mirror and in pictures of yourself. Only you know if you are happy with your looks and in the end it will be the only opinion that counts.

Good luck.

Love always,
Elizabeth