PDA

View Full Version : What's the Difference Between These Drugs?

Traci Elizabeth
01-26-2011, 02:22 PM
I asked my Transsexual doctor during my last visit what he thought of finasteride and he felt it was a waste of money.

I am seeing him again in early February and am going to broach the subject again.

Do any of you know the difference between Proscar, Propecia, & Dutasteride and which works better?

Jorja
01-26-2011, 02:30 PM
I do but I am having a memory problem with the central computer where that information is stored. I'll try to have an answer later.

pamela_a
01-26-2011, 03:30 PM
Propecia (Nefedipine) is a calcium channel blocker used primarily as a vasodialator (it relaxes the vessels which increases bloodflow). Used primarily to treat hypertension and angina.

Proscar is Finasteride and they're a 5-alpha reductase inhibitors. Used to treat both BPH and male pattern baldness.

Dutasteride (Avodart) is also a 5-alpha reductase inhibitors and similar to Finasteride (Proscar)

Stephanie Anne
01-26-2011, 03:46 PM
And of course unless you have prostate cancer or a medically diagnosed prostate inflammation, good luck getting approval from your insurance. It is considered a drug needing pre approval.

StaceyJane
01-26-2011, 04:01 PM
That's the nice thing about spironolactone. Since it's a BP medicine and I have high BP getting it was no problem. My insurance covers it.

Frances
01-26-2011, 04:09 PM
Proscar and Propecia are both Finasteride. The only difference is the quantity. 5 mg for Proscar and 1 mg for Propecia. Proscar is used to treat BHP and prostate cancer. Propecia was developed as a product to offer the DHT blocking properties of Proscar, but without the feminizing side-effects of Proscar.

Jorja
01-26-2011, 04:40 PM
Propecia (Nefedipine) is a calcium channel blocker used primarily as a vasodialator (it relaxes the vessels which increases bloodflow). Used primarily to treat hypertension and angina.

Proscar is Finasteride and they're a 5-alpha reductase inhibitors. Used to treat both BPH and male pattern baldness.

Dutasteride (Avodart) is also a 5-alpha reductase inhibitors and similar to Finasteride (Proscar)

That's it!!! That's it!!!

Glad someone had the answers.

Proscar and Propecia are both Finasteride. The only difference is the quantity. 5 mg for Proscar and 1 mg for Propecia. Proscar is used to treat BHP and prostate cancer. Propecia was developed as a product to offer the DHT blocking properties of Proscar, but without the feminizing side-effects of Proscar.

That's it! That's it!!!

Hope
01-26-2011, 04:58 PM
Do any of you know the difference between Proscar, Propecia, & Dutasteride and which works better?

Proscar, and Propecia are name-brands of Finasteride, I think the different names have something to do with differences in dosing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finasteride

Finasteride and Dutasteride are both essentially anti-androgens that have the curious side effect of aiding with the reduction of male pattern baldness.

Both were originally developed to help reduce the size of an enlarged prostate. Finasteride blocks the conversion of testosterone into dihydrotestosterone (DHT) which is apparently much more potent than plain old testosterone, and the chemical responsible for male pattern baldness.

Dutasteride on the other hand functions in the same way, blocking the conversion of testosterone into DHT. But Dutasteride inhibits both forms of 5-alpha reductase, (the chemical responsible for testosterone's conversion) Type I and Type II, whereas finasteride only inhibits Type II.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutasteride

Consequently, Dutasteride is known to be more effective at re-growing hair lost to male pattern baldness. I can say that in MY experience, if you are having problems with male pattern baldness, Dutasteride is worth every penny... though it is more expensive than Finasteride which will also work - just not as well.

ReneeT
01-26-2011, 11:30 PM
When i first saw my endp i was expecting to be prescribed both an anti-androgen and an estrogen. To my surprise she prescribed estradiol alone. When i think bout it though, it makes perfect sense. The supra-physiologic doses of E2 will supress T production to below that of a genetic female (less than 70), eliminating the need for an anti-androgen. No need to block something that doesnt exist! Only if follow up testing shows a persistntly "high" T level should an anti-androgen be necessary

Hope
01-27-2011, 04:00 AM
When i first saw my endp i was expecting to be prescribed both an anti-androgen and an estrogen. To my surprise she prescribed estradiol alone. When i think bout it though, it makes perfect sense. The supra-physiologic doses of E2 will supress T production to below that of a genetic female (less than 70), eliminating the need for an anti-androgen. No need to block something that doesnt exist! Only if follow up testing shows a persistntly "high" T level should an anti-androgen be necessary

How is that working out for you?

Vickie_CDTV
01-27-2011, 04:39 AM
I am in my mid-30s and my hair is starting to thin (male pattern baldness.) I have considered Propecia for a long time, but not being a TS I am terrified of the potential sexual side effects; for a guy like me, it really would be, as the old saying goes, cutting off your nose to spite your face! I wonder, how common this is? Can they go away if it is stopped? Anyone know?

If it has any side effect in that area, I'd just wear a wig the rest of my life when I want to dress.

ReneeT
01-27-2011, 07:10 AM
Hope,

I just passed the 10 day mark so its too soon to tell. My T level was low to start with, so that should help

CharleneT
01-27-2011, 12:54 PM

Yuppers! Just E2 will work fine. It takes longer at the beginning stages is all. There are some good reasons for some other added drugs, like Dutasteride. As Hope mentioned, it helps with hair loss. GlaxoSmithKline does have a med program for those who need Dutasteride, but cannot afford it. If you qualify, it is very low cost from them.

http://www.patientassistance.com/profile/glaxosmithkline-168/