PDA

View Full Version : Where did I get the nerve to do that?

SiobhanUK
01-27-2011, 07:19 AM
Hi all

I just thought that I'd like to share an experience that i had yesterday. During an afternoon off work I was browsing the local shops and walked past the playtex underwear shop. On the spur of the moment I went in and whilst looking at the wares for sale was asked by a very helpful shop assistant if i required any help. With out even thinking i blurted out that I was shopping for myself and needed help and advice and potentially even a proper fitting.

The shop was pretty quiet however the manageress was out in the changing rooms already dealing with a fitting. I was told that that wasn't a problem we just had to wait for the other women to leave. During the next 20 minutes or so i had a very in depth conversation with the lovely shop assistant about myself, where i see myself going, when i might be able to transition and many other things about being transsexual. She explained that although she hadn't dealt with anyone in my position before others who worked there had. I was amazed how easy it was to talk to this lady.

Once the changing rooms were empty we began and after being measured tried on a variety of styles and designs each time being given advice on each. I ended up leaving the shop with a smile on my face and feeling so much more confident about myself (in case you hadn't worked out I was in male mode the whole way through)

I really don't know where the nerve came from to do it but I'm so glad that i did.

Siobhan xx

Rianna Humble
01-27-2011, 07:38 AM
Good on you, Siobhan. We don't have to be ashamed of who we are, and now you can be more confidant about what you buy from them. It's great that you found such a good sales assistant and that she was so open with you. I'll bet you get good service from her in the future too.

Roberta Marie
01-27-2011, 08:02 AM
Siobhan,

Good for you.

"I was amazed how easy it was to talk to this lady."

Something that is natural usually is easy once we take down the barriers.

"I ended up leaving the shop with a smile on my face and feeling so much more confident about myself "

I hope you also rewarded them for their great service buy buying something.

vikki2020
01-27-2011, 09:24 AM
Yeah, sometimes it just happens,huh?!! Good for you! Now you see how easy it was, you will have that much more confidence. I know it felt good to talk to her about things, cheap therapy!

Sally24
01-27-2011, 09:51 AM
It can never hurt to get help from professionals. And the lift in confidence is a nice side benefit! You go girl!

SiobhanUK
01-27-2011, 10:37 AM
I'm still buzzing from the experience. It's been a rollercoaster of a week, from telling the first person about myself to being able to visit a shop being so open about why i was there.

Gina X
01-27-2011, 10:39 AM
I bet you felt really good, sometimes these things just slot into place, I'm very jealous !! LOL

ninapuella
01-27-2011, 10:43 AM
I had the same feeling when i bought my first bra in a store for women. I just did it, no thinking. Its funny of how much you can do without thinking. Maybe the best is to not think at all? :doh:

Loni
01-27-2011, 11:13 AM
the last time I bought a bra in a macys I got this look from the clerk, not for me buying a bra for my self ( yes I was dressed) but cause I stated it's not my regular brand.

fun times to be had by all.

Rianna Humble
01-27-2011, 03:30 PM
Maybe the best is to not think at all?

I don't think, so?

SiobhanUK
01-27-2011, 04:35 PM
I reckon if I had really thought about it I wouldn't have done it initially. However with my confidence improving every day I can happily make the conscious effort to do something similar again.
The next step is building up the courage to go out in public dressed.

Siobhan x

ziggie
01-27-2011, 05:17 PM
You ran in to a real professional in that shop assistant. Support the store and ask for her specifically when you shop. Not everyone would be so accommodating and her assistance should be recognized.

Rianna Humble
01-27-2011, 11:16 PM
The next step is building up the courage to go out in public dressed.

One possibility is to go to a support group meeting, If you are not too far from Brighton, check out http://www.clareproject.org.uk/

I was recently introduced to them and they are very welcoming

t-girlxsophie
01-28-2011, 02:31 AM
sometimes the time just seems right and you just have to go for it,I hope you get out dressed soon,you will be ok and you will enjoy it so much,well done

:hugs:Sophie

SiobhanUK
01-28-2011, 02:35 AM
I'm in Portsmouth so a trip to Brighton might well be in order. If I want to be taking everything further than that's what I need to do. It's always nice to to hear from other uk girls

Siobhan xx