PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic Shoe Buying Experience !!

Anne Charlotte
09-19-2005, 06:34 AM
I'm on a roll.

I'm sorry this is long and rambling, but I just got into work, and before I do anything else today, I just gotta share this with someone.

Last week I bought a huge quantity of hosiery on sale, and got a few light hearted remarks from GG's in the shop, but today, I surpassed myself !!

I've been drooling over the Next Directory (mail order catalogue from a high-street shop (for our US sisters) ) for the past few days for knee length high heeled boots. They have a few pairs that might suit, and in the right size, but when I checked them out in store, (where they only go to size 8), i was disappointed in the quality, and I know the calf will be too narrow.

So, on my way into work this morning I called into a branch of Brantano, where size 9 and size 10 shoes can be found. They never have a very raunchy selection, but today I found black knee length boots with a 3 inch heel in my size, burgundy ankle boots too (half price), and a pair of black two-part courts (pumps) with a narrow ankle strap (half price).

The shop had only just opened and was really quiet, with just myself and another couple browsing the aisles. After waiting for them to wander off, I whipped off my man-boots and (regretting having forgotten to bring some knee-high nylons), I tried on the ankle boots. They were a perfect fit. Absolutely perfect, and at £12 a bargain. I was elated, and went to look for the knee high boots I'd spotted earlier. Just then an assistant walked by, and must have known what I was doing. I gave her my best smily beam, and carried on, and she walked on. (I was in drab, in blue trousers and a checked shirt).

I selected the pair I wanted and took them to a nearby seat to try on. I have a thick calf, and have real trouble finding wide-toped boots. But these were perfect too....and looked really up to date, with a long pointy toe. I walked across the store to find a mirror, and posed a little to check them out. They were LUSH ! I did try a second pair, but I couldn't do up the zip.

Then I spotted the pumps....and at just £17, again half price, I just had to have them. I tried them on again with my trouser legs rolled up, and walked across the shop to the mirror to check them out. They looked (and felt) superb.

As I was doing up the ankle strap, a lady walked by with a baby in a pram, but like the assistant, just smiled and walked on.

I then took my pile of boxes to the till. The girl there looked at the boots and asked if I had the right size. I said that I had, since I had just tried them on (it was the same girl who had seen me 10 minutes before), so there was no point in denying it.

I mentioned that I always had trouble getting boots to fit since so few shops do size 9 lady's shoes, and that I'd been looking for a pair just like that for ages. The girl then called to the supervisor on the next till, and we had a three-way conversatoin about me being able to try on shoes in this shop, where no-one points and stares. They kindly offered to refund me should I find that they don't fit after all, but I'd tried all three pairs on so I think that may not happen !!

The supervisor then said that the winter range of boots would be in soon, so I promised I'd drop in again in a few weeks.......

If they have brown suede knee length ruched down boots with a 4 inch heel, I'll buy three pairs......then they'll last for the rest of my life !!

Wow.....my heart is still racing....couldn't wait to try them ion, so when I found the office empty, I just had to get them form the car. The feeling of wearing stilletoes in the office where I normally wear steel toe-caps was unbelievable. God how much I long to do it for real all day, every day !

Can't wait to get home to try them all on again, and post some pics for you all. Maybe saturday....watch this space !!!

DonnaT
09-19-2005, 07:16 AM
Really cool Annie. Congratulations.

I too have large calves and know what you mean. I've a pair of black pointy toed boots with fur around the top. I zip them as far as possible, walk around in them a bit to let the leather stretch, and zip 'em the rest of the way up.

I've yet to try on in the store however.

Sophie_A
09-19-2005, 07:18 AM
Thats a great story, you must be elated, i know i would. I have been in brantano but never has the courage to buy anything, but your story is inspiring.

Lisa Golightly
09-19-2005, 07:22 AM
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... shoes :)

Anne Charlotte
09-19-2005, 07:37 AM
Thats a great story, you must be elated, i know i would. I have been in brantano but never has the courage to buy anything, but your story is inspiring.

I just get so nervous and desperate that I get a 'devil may care' attitude and try them on. That's why I started the conversation with the girl on the till. If she sees that I'm totally comfortable with it all, she'll be more relaxed and less embarassed herself......

just go for it Sophie.....you'll love the experience.

I'm up for a new wig next !!

mand
09-19-2005, 07:40 AM
Hello Anne :) buying shoes is alway a fantastic experience, I never tire of it..................well it goes with the critera of being TG ;)

Enjoy :)

love mand xxx :)

Lindahexi
09-19-2005, 10:25 AM
Annie, a great account of your experience, I enjoyed reading it. I often go into my local branch of Brantano, I only try shoes on when I think no one is looking. At the moment they do have some real bargains. You must have felt great when you got home and tried all those new purchases on, well done girl.

Love, Linda xx

Deelite
09-19-2005, 02:03 PM
Fab story, i can relate with you!

Just a thought though i bought a pair of boots (stretch microsuede boots) from next directory (you know the ones i am talking about!) i ordered them on before 5pm (telephone or internet), if you do that you get them next day!!

Anyway when i tried them on, UK size 9, they were huge!, i reckon a 7 or 8 would fit fine.

Plus they are super stretchy in the leg, for girls with larger calves.

I may buckle and buy them very soon!!

Must be strong, must resist!

Dee.

Kimberly
09-19-2005, 03:10 PM
Where is this shop?? I wanna go in!!! :D

What nice staff :p

Emily15
09-19-2005, 03:44 PM
Well done Anne! you are insperational hunny, sometimes i will waltz into a shop and ask to try things on with lots of funny looks and tee hees, but if you can stay relaxed and smile about it so much the better! other times i will go in nervous as a kitten wanting something so much that i end up walking out without it, hey but i always go back and get it on a waltz kinda day!!... :) Emily