PDA

View Full Version : We think in Language

Steph.TS
01-28-2011, 01:48 AM
I think that since many of us are TS, TG, or simply CD, we blur the lines of gender in a binary gender system. I think part of the reason we aren't accepted as widely as we could be is because there isn't the right way to refer to those in between genders, men have he, women have she, and what do we get? I'm thinking xe, if the English language can evolve to support those who don't fit the Male/Female system people will think in a more fluid fashion regarding gender.

kimdl93
01-28-2011, 02:27 AM
could we have degrees of Xe? Maybe on an exponential scale?

Gina X
01-28-2011, 03:57 AM
could we have degrees of Xe? Maybe on an exponential scale?

Que ?????

Vickie_CDTV
01-28-2011, 04:40 AM
There is already a system of gender neutral pronouns someone cooked up, there is an article on wikipedia about it. I don't get it personally, though.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Gender-neutral_pronoun#Modern_solutions

Gerrijerry
01-28-2011, 05:26 AM
does it really matter. ??? you are what you are.

Joanne f
01-28-2011, 05:34 AM
I am a 3G , third gender :heehee:
Is that a he "no, is that a she "no , its a 3g :heehee:

Michelle 51
01-28-2011, 05:40 AM
I think the Native American "two spirit" decribes how I feel.

Angiemead12
01-28-2011, 05:50 AM
I think the Native American "two spirit" decribes how I feel.

I like that!

KrystalA
01-28-2011, 07:09 AM
When I see a CDer that looks really feminine, I think of them as 'that person'. Now if I could only be 'that person'. LOL

Jorja
01-28-2011, 07:19 AM
Lets see.... we have he, she...... how about I'm special?

sometimes_miss
01-28-2011, 09:13 AM
You can call us anything you want. We aren't accepted by our society because 'normal' people get upset when we make their gender lines undefinable. After all, when a baby is born, the first question is always 'is it a boy or a girl', because they want to know how to relate to the new person, and what to expect for them in the future. Despite the concept of men and women being equals, there are still certain things that are expected of each, but not the other.
Coming up with a new pronoun or adjective isn't going to change that.

Roberta Marie
01-28-2011, 09:35 AM
We already have disagreements and misunderstandings using words that have been around for hundreds of years, who's definitions have been well defined in dictionaries. I"m afraid that making up words to suit ourselves will only confuse the issue even more. Even within the transgender community we cannot all agree on the meaning of the word "transgender".

Marissa
01-28-2011, 09:39 AM
I am a 3G , third gender :heehee:
Is that a he "no, is that a she "no , its a 3g :heehee:

Sorry Joanne, even though 3G is nice...I had better RECEPTION with 4G :battingeyelashes:..just ask the T-mobile girl... "T"-mobile.. :heehee::D

Joanne f
01-28-2011, 12:53 PM
Sorry Joanne, even though 3G is nice...I had better RECEPTION with 4G :battingeyelashes:..just ask the T-mobile girl... "T"-mobile.. :heehee::D

Well i am in one of the T- mobile adverts but male mode so i will stick with 3g but if that is what it is like to be 4g then that is what my dreams will be made of :devil:

Amalia
01-28-2011, 01:15 PM
I'm inclined to agree with you, look at studies done on gender perceptions of objects in languages that use gender marking, but unfortunately English doesn't allow for pronoun adoption, it's a sad feature of the language. There was an attempt a while back to use add a non 'it' third person singular pronoun to the language, it was part of the feminist movement, and it failed miserably. However a lot of nowadays do use they to refer and ambiguous person or when the person doesn't feel the need to define the gender.