PDA

View Full Version : new girl on the road

Teri Jean
01-28-2011, 09:11 PM
A month ago I went before the court to have my name and gender changed to which the judge ruled against the gender change. He doesn't believe in it. I then petitioned for a varience and it was granted so with documents in hand My name is Teri Jean Homer, female. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Faith_G
01-28-2011, 09:23 PM
Ruled against it because he doesn't believe in it? Can't you get him impeached or something? That's just ridiculous!

I'm glad you persisted! Congrats! :hugs:

gretchen2
01-28-2011, 09:29 PM
I would have to say that judge sucks. Congratulations, I can't wait until I am done with that.

Teri Jean
01-28-2011, 11:12 PM
In Minnesota there is a way to change your gender along with your name and it has a precident with the courts. But with that there is no concrete law that places the court in the position where they have a specific statute they have to follow. The thing is the judge decided he didn't believe he had the authority and even if he did he would not grant it. In other words he was showing his bias in this case instead of ruling fairly. So in the long run, I was successful and now am considered a female. One less bump in the road. Hugs everyone

Hope
01-29-2011, 12:24 AM
A month ago I went before the court to have my name and gender changed to which the judge ruled against the gender change. He doesn't believe in it. I then petitioned for a varience and it was granted so with documents in hand My name is Teri Jean Homer, female. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Really? Because I don't believe in judges getting a vote on my gender, but here we are..."

You obviously have MUCH more restraint than I do.

Good for you.

Stephanie Anne
01-29-2011, 01:29 AM

I am a little sickened that someone who can rise to such a position of importance would let personal beliefs cloud their judgement. I guess as long as we are willing to let them happen, people like this judge will remain in office. Imagine if you will a openly gay judge not allowing a name change for marriage because he does not believe in it. The outrage would be intense. Why it is acceptable the other way is beyond me.

If this happened to me, I would do the same thing except once finished, I would file a grievance of discrimination against that judge. If mandates allow it, he has no right to deny it and is compromising his ability to hold office by doing so.

Carole Cross
01-29-2011, 05:03 AM
I was under the impression that judges were not allowed to make a rulimg based on their own prejudices, maybe it is different in the U.S. Also if he was a competent judge, he should have found out if he had the authority to grant it in the first place.
It is so much easier to change your name in the UK, you just need to fill out a deed poll application, you can even do it online

Melody Moore
01-29-2011, 05:13 AM
Ruled against it because he doesn't believe in it? Can't you get him impeached or something? That's just ridiculous!
A judge is there to apply the law, not make up the law any old how he chooses as
he goes along. This judge should be stood down for being extremely incompetent.

Laura_Stephens
01-29-2011, 10:00 AM
I dealt with a judge one time who openly said he disagreed with the Ohio Revised Code and was not going to enforce it. This case was in no way related to TG issues. It dealt with labor law. Unfortuantely, this happens all the time because people tend to vote for names they recognize instead of learning about the person and the issues.

Traci Elizabeth
01-29-2011, 10:21 AM
Well I know that "Justice is Blind" but as long as our judges are "human" as much as they try to not allow their personal views to biases their rulings, I am sure that in some of their decisions they do. How many appeals are made because this fact alone or the Judge misapplying the law?

pamela_a
01-29-2011, 01:36 PM
While I don't agree with the judge's decision he did hold to the applicable laws. The petition was for a Name Change and those were the statues under which he made his ruling. No where in that procedure or statutes is gender marker change included. Therefore he ruled that, in spite of judicial precedence from other Minnesota courts, he did not have the authority to order that change as there was no statute on the books which granted him that ability. Granted in his comments and demeanor his prejudice was obvious but legally he was correct.

To the OP: Congratulations Sis. It's been a long time coming :hugs:

Teri Jean
01-29-2011, 04:41 PM
Pam you have been a wonderful friend and that is why when I say you are right I am talking to my sister. He is still a jerk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway the girls at the DMV were great as always and soon I will have the new license in my hand. Go girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pam; big, no huge hugs to you for your help in court and everything then and now and in the future.

Jessinthesprings
01-29-2011, 09:57 PM
Grats!

Jorja
01-29-2011, 11:00 PM
Ahhhh yes the U.S Legal system in action. Don't ya just love it?

Congratulations Ms. Teri Jean Homer.

SusanMarie
01-30-2011, 07:26 PM
:thumbup: Congratulations Terri Jean...
I am sure the warmth in your heart and brightness of your smile will melt snow for miles! :D