PDA

View Full Version : A Conversatiom Overheard

Tranny Tee
01-30-2011, 11:11 PM
I was my morning coffee and reading the newspaper at Starbucks recently and overheard a conversation between a mother and her ten year old daughter at the next table.
Daughter, "There's a boy at school who dresses like a girl."
Mother, "Does he wear dresses?"
Daughter, "No, but he wears girl's clothes, lots of pink."
Mother, "What do you think of how he dresses?"
Daughter, "It's OK."
Mother, "Do you tease him?"
Daughter, "No, I don't talk to him, he's in another class>"

They went on a bit longer the mother talked about tolerence and letting people express themselves. The daughter seemed fine with everything.
It was a very positive conversation and made me feel hopeful about the next generation.

Karren H
01-30-2011, 11:20 PM
One awesome Mom!!

Lexi X
01-30-2011, 11:23 PM
My wife is like this. Even before we got together and she found out about my other side. Even if people don't agree with someone's lifestyle, I can get them to admit that they have no right to judge or hate. I think the world is slowly getting better. Lets hope it gets better faster tho!

Stephanie Miller
01-30-2011, 11:23 PM
That is really nice to hear. But I'm afraid that those positive conversations happen more between mothers and daughter than they do between fathers and daughters - and God forbid between fathers and sons!
Still too much macho going on.

Frédérique
01-30-2011, 11:27 PM
The daughter seemed fine with everything.
It was a very positive conversation and made me feel hopeful about the next generation.

I hope the girl retains her individualistic take on things and isn’t influenced by her peers down the road, but something inevitable is coming in her direction, and she may be forced to conform in matters of tolerance…
:straightface:

Lexi X
01-30-2011, 11:30 PM
That is really nice to hear. But I'm afraid that those positive conversations happen more between mothers and daughter than they do between fathers and daughters - and God forbid between fathers and sons!
Still too much macho going on.

I don't have any sons but I have 3 daughters I'll have that conversation with!

erickka
01-31-2011, 06:55 AM
If more folks thdoght like that , and taught those kind of values, this world would be a better place!

Annie D
01-31-2011, 07:09 AM
I agree with Stephanie; it is not the conversation between mothers and daughters but between fathers and sons that we need to improve. Why is it so hard for a father to give his approval of being different before the actual event happens? Are men afraid of saying they approve of being gay or bi or anything else not associated with middle class stereotyped male characterization? Locker room mentality needs to be eliminated. Women seek happiness for their sons and daughters and men seek wealth, land and title. I don't mean to be so negative but the pattern has been such but I do see it changing ever so slightly in our young people. I think that it is because transgenderism is being depicted in movies and television and the more it is the more it may become accepted.

BillieJoEllen
01-31-2011, 01:55 PM
My wife, her sister and her sister-in-law all found out about me about six weeks before we got married. About a year later my (now) sister-in-law laid into some people who were criticizing crossdressers. She really came to my defense in a big way. I wasn't there but I heard about it from some other relatives. Of course they in turn criticized my sister-in-law for being so open minded.

WillowWriter
01-31-2011, 02:20 PM
I find that great. That's good that some people can see pasted the thoughts that its wrong to crossdress. I would be nice if more people were like this.

kym
01-31-2011, 02:27 PM
people need to open their minds and hearts, mothers and daughters have wonderful things to share between one another, but fathers and daughters or fathers and sons need to have better conversations. I have a good friend who had his daughter ask him if she was required to marry a boy, his response was no, people can marry and be with whom ever they wish, boy or girl. An older couple sitting behind them at the restaurant decided to give them disapproving looks to which my friend replied" I'm glad to see your ears are not as closed as your mind, shes my daughter and I will raise her the best way I know how with an open mind and heart." He is also one of my friends that told off my ex wife years ago when she decided that it was not ok for me to dress like a woman.(the day before she had taken me out shopping for make up, a dress, shoes and lingerie)

Rianna Humble
01-31-2011, 04:56 PM
Hi TT, thank you for sharing the conversation with us, if more people were like the mother, we could see society change for the better.

I'm afraid that those positive conversations happen more between mothers and daughter than they do between fathers and daughters - and God forbid between fathers and sons!

I guess this underlines just how privileged my upbringing was! Even though my dad is very traditional in some of his attitudes and at the time he thought I was his son, my dad always tought me both by word and by deed that tolerance and understanding for those who are different to ourselves is not a "nice to have" it's a must if we want to lay any claim at all to being civilised.

Whenever someone from a minority community commented on how nice it was that I took the time to try to understand them as well as just helping, I always gave credit to my father because (to quote another of his beliefs) I believe in credit where it is due.

His reaction to my news that I am transgendered (which was a major shock to him at 88 years old) is a further demonstration that what he sought to teach me about respect, support and tolerance were more than just words.

carhill2mn
01-31-2011, 06:40 PM
Kudos are due to both the daughter and the mom! My own daughters, who are older than this girl, were more accepting of my being a CD than my now ex-wife expected when she told them.