PDA

View Full Version : Crossdresser and feminist?

Puer
09-19-2005, 01:47 PM
Hi,

This is one for the FTMs. Do you consider yourself to be a feminist, even though you dress as a man? If you do, what does it mean to you?

I happily describe myself as a feminist and have ever since I was old enough to have my own (socio-political) opinions. I see feminism as a way of championing equality. It's not about saying women are better than men, but that, whilst there are differences, we are equal and should be treated as such on a personal, social and global level.

In terms of my cross-dressing I see it as both personal and a political statement. On a personal level I do it because I want to, it feels right and makes me feel good! On the political level it is about exerting my right to equality - in this case equality to wear clothing ascribed to the opposite sex - and to behave in a way that suits me (and doesn't harm others of course). Obviously I'm not being hugely political in my cd'ing as I don't go out in public yet, but the thought is there as least.

An alternative way of looking at it is that I am challenging the patriarchy by appropriating male signifiers and subverting their use, therefore disputing their gender specifity and male priviledge - but that is just too complicated for words!!!!!! :D

I hope this thread sparks off some interesting discussion and that you don't decide I'm just weird and ignore me!!!

Puer
x

Puer
09-20-2005, 11:55 AM
Ooooh, no replies. :eek:

I knew it - I'm just weird :rolleyes: . Or it could just be that there's not been a lot of activity on this board since yesterday! :D

Ho hum ...

Kimberly
09-20-2005, 04:36 PM
hey.... I'm a crossdresser, a feminist... AND A MAN!

- now that's weird. hehe.

Seriously though: if by dressing you are, in some way, challenging the patriachy... does that mean that MtF CDs are degraded by their dressing? In the eyes of patriarchy, of course, not the views of those CDers on this forum, because I know many of them consider it the opposite, including myself.

Abraxas
09-20-2005, 05:24 PM
Well... Yeah.
I mean, in this patriarchal society, men are thought to be "better, stronger, faster" whatever-- than women. At school, the "weaker" boys are called sissies, pussies, cocksuckers, fags, etc. Those are derogatory because of the connotation-- men are supposed to be stronger than women, so when one shows a sign of weakness, he's called a "girl"-- or some synonym thereof.

I'm not a feminist though... I mean... Men and women are equal, but in different ways. I think anybody who wants to should be able to get a job in whatever field they want, or whatever, but I don't think men and women are two halves of the same whole.
Men are physically stronger by nature. Women, by nature, are more in tune with their emotions, and are more nurturing. There are physiological things that separate men and women, therefore they cannot be equal in the scientific definition of the word: same.
So yeah... I'm not a feminist but I'm a radical liberal, so I think everyone should just get along and do what they want.

Marlena Dahlstrom
09-20-2005, 07:05 PM
An alternative way of looking at it is that I am challenging the patriarchy by appropriating male signifiers and subverting their use, therefore disputing their gender specifity and male priviledge - but that is just too complicated for words!!!!!! :D

You could just say you're messing with people's preconceptions of gender roles. :D

Am I a femininst? I'm a humanist. I agree with most of the goals of femininsm, but I think feminism often has been guilty of viewing men as imperfect women. I think there's a place for "masculinist" values -- we need nuturers, but we also need people to run into burning buildings. Men and women should be treated equally, but that doesn't mean they need to be equivalent. More to the point, people should have the freedom to be who they are regardless of where they fall on the spectrum of things society considers masculine and feminine.

CaptLex
09-20-2005, 08:00 PM
Hi,

This is one for the FTMs. Do you consider yourself to be a feminist, even though you dress as a man? If you do, what does it mean to you?

Puer

Interesting question . . . I guess it depends on your definition of feminism. It seems to be one of those words whose meaning has changed over the years (like liberal). :confused:

I supposed I consider myself a feminist because I am an FTM - my definition having to do with equality. In other words, I've always believed in equal rights for both genders, regardless of whether one is generally better at something than the other.

So, even as a child I believed I had the same rights as any boy, and that includes the right to wear the same clothes. ;)

Hope this answers your question. You really made me think.

Puer
09-21-2005, 12:58 PM
Ooooh fabulous, lots of lovely replies :D

I wouldn't suggest ever that MTF crossdressers are degraded by their dressing. That wasn't my intention at all and I hope nobody believes that is what I think. I actually think cd is a healthy form of self-expression.

The bit about challenging the patriarchy was really about the fact that western society has been male-dominated for centuries and has come up with set of rules about how people should dress, behave and be, particularly in respect of their gender roles - and it doesn't like people who behave differently. What I was attempting to say is that by dressing in a way that transgresses those rules I am challenging them. An MTF crossdresser is doing exactly the same thing - they are saying that they don't agree with how society says people 'should' dress and are actively challenging those rules.

I'm certainly all for messing with people's preconceptions of gender roles! It's the only way to get things to change for the better.

I take the point about feminism having viewed men as imperfect women. I feel that the feminist movement did loose its way for a while when it seemed to become about saying that women were better than men. When it is focused on men and women being of equal value; of accepting and celebrating our differences and our similarities; and working towards ensuring that everyone in society gets an equal chance to be the best they can be whatever their sex, then feminism is a powerful force for good.

CaptLex - you not only answered my question, you made me think too. In fact, you've all made me think and that is a terrific thing. :thumbsup:

Puer
x

Kimberly
09-21-2005, 04:12 PM
Men are physically stronger by nature.
Let me put to you one word: Childbirth.....?

I honestly think that gender only defines a person up to a point... hence why we crossdress and why others don't. Some men are more in touch with their emotions, whilst some don't give a damn. Some women don't care and don't understand themselves as much as some men. I believe it is down to the individual.

xx

Abraxas
09-21-2005, 05:39 PM
Well, yes of course...
The childbirth thing, though-- that I don'tt hink has as much to do with physical strength as it does with, say, pain and emotional strength.
I mean, women can't get as physically strong as men can with stuff like weight lifting unless some steroids are put into play.

Kimberly
09-22-2005, 11:49 AM
Ah, okay, I get your point :)

This kinda reminds me of a phrase I heard somewhere: If men had periods, they'd compare the size of their tampons.

..... well, they would.

Puer
09-22-2005, 12:25 PM
This kinda reminds me of a phrase I heard somewhere: If men had periods, they'd compare the size of their tampons.

:roflmao: Good one!

Gabriel
09-23-2005, 08:40 PM
western society has been male-dominated for centuries
Eastern societies too! :(

To answer your question, I don't think I am a feminist. I'm not trying to stand out, thus not trying to make any statement either. But if people out me, then I guess I have no choice but to be labeled a "radical" or whatnot. :(

On the other hand, I will naturally become defensive about equality issues, siding with either gender group based on who is being treated unfairly in a given context.

Keep up the good work! :D