PDA

View Full Version : Going out in NYC next week

Sissy_Jenny28
02-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Hey All,

I am going to be in New York City and I am pumped to go a night or 2 dressed, do some shopping. I was wondering if anybody can give me some tips for places to go.

I would love to find a place that does great transformations and makeup (could always use a little help).

I am staying by Lex and 49th.

Thanks!!!

Jenny

Stephenie S
02-01-2011, 10:24 PM
Anywhere you want, hon. Go anywhere you want. New Yorkers are far more sophisticated than you. They've seen it all.

Stephie

NathalieX66
02-01-2011, 11:12 PM
Anywhere you want, hon. Go anywhere you want. New Yorkers are far more sophisticated than you. They've seen it all.

Stephie

Yeah, nowadays it's mostly hipsters. Yeah, no one will flinch if you show up in a dress , it's truly true.
Just show up anywhere and go.

Avana
02-01-2011, 11:20 PM
i would say that they've definitely seen it all, but that doesn't stop them from saying something.

especially all the college aged entitled brat kids (who in many cases aren't native new yorkers) and macho gangbanger types.

NathalieX66
02-01-2011, 11:39 PM
i would say that they've definitely seen it all, but that doesn't stop them from saying something.

especially all the college aged entitled brat kids (who in many cases aren't native new yorkers) and macho gangbanger types.

No problems in lower Manhattan & hip sections (williamsburg) of Brooklyn......been there/done that.

Avana
02-01-2011, 11:49 PM
No problems in lower Manhattan & hip sections (williamsburg) of Brooklyn......been there/done that.

ya i live in wburg! especially on the weekends there are a lot of kids who aren't from the neighborhood who come for laughs and hipster-sightings

DaphneGrey
02-02-2011, 07:38 AM
Lower manhattan is great if you want to do some shopping. But it is really expensive! Parts of Brooklyn are a lot of fun Williamsburg is great but Alana brings up a very good point about the weekends. My advice would be to stay away from real touristy areas like Time Square and even the Meat Packing District. There a quite a few places that I frequent on regular basis where I have never gotten a second look. If you are interested PM and I can tell you where.

I don't know about transformations but any mac store will give you an expert makeover for $100 dollars or so if you go to a stand alone store. If you go to a mac counter in a department store they don't charge for the application but you have to spend I think $60 on product. Sephora will do them for free. But don't be cheap make sure you buy some stuff when they are finished.

Personally I would go for the makeover at MAC or Sephora and then you could go out and buy a wig and some clothes. And spend less than you would at a Transformation Salon. There is no reason to pay any more than a GG would for the same services. Especially in NYC.

Museums and art galleries are great too if you like that sort of thing. If you like contemporary installation art among other things. The New Museum on Bowery is a fun place. And there are some great places to shop a few blocks away.

A warning they wont be real nice to you in Chinatown. They won't be mean either. For the most part they will just ignore you. There are exceptions of course. Avoid little italy To many macho mobster wannabees!

Sissy_Jenny28
02-02-2011, 03:12 PM
That is great information. Thank you very much. I am more than a little nervous and I wanted to "girl up" before stepping out which is why I thought about doing a transformation salon.

I really wanted to use this as an opportunity to do some shopping, get a great outfit, transform and go out!

Kind of a life long dream :).

Any great stores I should hit?

Avana
02-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Any great stores I should hit?

i always recommend exchange stores. there are two buffalo exchanges in manhattan, one in chelsea and one in the e village, and there is the one i go to most in williamsburg. there is also a good exchange/vintage/thrift store called beacon's closet in williamsburg. the racks are stocked with all sorts of designer clothing from real girls who live in the city and of course many international visitors.

low prices, high fashion, and no one really cares what you buy or look at. in fact it's likely that the sales staff will be men who shop in the womens dept anyway. its a great way to find cool pieces and new looks that otherwise you may never find or even know where to start looking for.

kristine239
02-02-2011, 04:01 PM
Also contact Crossdressers Intl at www.cdinyc.org They meet in midtown every Wednesday evening and are always going someplace.