PDA

View Full Version : Politically Correct titles

Briana90802
02-07-2011, 03:17 PM
So I was reading about the differences between "transvestite" and "crossdresser" and I was wondering what would be more PC? Any ideas? This is a chance for you funny and creative people to think of something fun.

I think I prefer effeminately attired :)

pattyv
02-07-2011, 03:23 PM
A nose by any other name will smell!!!

Stephanie Miller
02-07-2011, 03:37 PM
I've never seen any problem with ma'am.

AllieSF
02-07-2011, 03:44 PM
How about, "I'm an Xgamer."?

BevAndrews
02-07-2011, 03:47 PM
As both words mean the same linguistically, it has never worried me which is used about me - though I tend to use Crossdresser about myself; I couldn't say why.

Joanne f
02-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Something simple like " crosstransdresservestite" or " transdressercrossvestite, :heehee: or maybe just chage it to " Happydresser" or knowing you lot " ive got pantieson dresser"

Vickie_CDTV
02-07-2011, 04:14 PM
This reminds me of the other various terms that have been tried over the years such as "GEM", gender enhanced male. I rather liked Virginia Prince's term "femmiphile" (but it sounds way too much like "pedophile" to be practical today.)

I usually prefer clinical terminology myself, maybe it is the engineer in me.

JeanneF
02-07-2011, 04:20 PM
I personally don't like the term "crossdresser"...I creates an image for me of a hairy guy sneaking into his wife's panties while she's out. I like "transvestite", although it does make people think of Rocky Horror Picture Show. :)

I usually refer to myself as transgendered or of "flexible gender status", but it kind of helps that I hang around with a diverse group of people of varying gender and sexual orientations. I've also been known to just call myself a tranny.

Cassandra Lynn
02-07-2011, 04:23 PM
It's kind of an oldie, but "fem-male".
I still don't understand why so many get all tripped up with the good ol' transgendered term, well i mean i think i know why, but it is an unecessary fear. And by that i mean the fear of the prefix trans. But there are many who just can't get their heads around a simple spectrum that we all co-exist on.

Cassie

GingerLeigh
02-07-2011, 04:31 PM
Transvestite makes me think of someone standing on the corner trying to turn a trick. Crossdresser seems to be less offensive. Something better? Oh, I'm not that creative.

Ginger

Karren H
02-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Karren works well.... For me... Not you...

tanyalynn51
02-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Im a transsexual, but I dont like titles. But, whatever I am, I am definitely not politically correct- does that make me"PC challenged?"

sissystephanie
02-07-2011, 05:43 PM
I also am politically challenged! And I don't like titles!! Just call me Stephanie, or Ma'am! At least when I am in enfemme clothing!!

BTW, crossdressers and transvestites are two entirely different types of people. A Transvestite dresses enfemme for sexuaL reasons, while a crossdresser dresses enfemme for many other reasons! Don't call me a Transvestite unless you are a very good distance away. Otherwise you will have a broken nose!!

Cassandra Lynn
02-07-2011, 06:07 PM
Be careful with that exclamation key Steph, one of these days your gonna break it. For someone who doesn't like titles you sure are adamant in there usage.
I have seen numerous websites and links to sites, over the past several months, that differ in all the various terms and their definitions, suffice it to say that the jury is still out.
It is what it is...........

Cassie

Roberta Marie
02-07-2011, 06:20 PM
. . . . . just don't call me late for dinner!

Cynthia Anne
02-07-2011, 06:21 PM
I'll settle for wannabe fem! I've never been politically correct anyhows! And to Sissy Stephanie, I would never call you that 'cause I hate the sight of blood, even more so when it's MINE!!!!!

Debglam
02-07-2011, 06:32 PM
This is a real tough one. I think if you ask any two people what a "transvestite," a "crossdresser," or "transgender" for that matter, means you get three different answers!

The definitions just aren't clear.(!!!) I got into some consternation on another, mostly TS, forum by identifying myself as a crossdresser. I got a lot of attitude because crossdressers supposely "choose" to do what we do and/or we dress for sexual pleasure (I actually think there is a clinical term "Transvestic Fetishist" that means one who dresses for sexual pleasure.). I had to defend myself because neither of these statements are correct in my case.

(I was really surprised at how angry the whole CD thing made some of our TS sisters. I still don't get it but that is for another thread.)

The discussion actually was pretty good at times and it was suggested that maybe a new, clearer term for those of us that dress for a gender identity related reason should be created. Any suggestions?

Transgender is a good term but it is pretty well understood to be an umbrella term. "Multigendered" maybe? Possibly just clearly make a distinction between "transvestite" and "crossdresser?" That probably wouldn't fly because I understand that the TV word doesn't have the negative, sexual connotations across the pond that it does here. Maybe if we all spoke American instead of English :heehee:

I personally don't mind "crossdresser" but the idea that it is either sexual or that it is a choice doesn't sit well me. Not that there is anything wrong with either of those, but for me it is not sexual nor do I have any choice.

Debby

t-girlxsophie
02-07-2011, 06:33 PM
how the hell do we expect to get acceptance when we get hung up on words,transvestite or crossdresser (tho cant say ever felt angry dressing lol) I could care less,if either term disturbs you then theres a major problem there as far as i can see,just show me the same respect you would show anyone thats all that is important.

Eryn
02-07-2011, 06:39 PM
I personally don't like the term "crossdresser"...I creates an image for me of a hairy guy sneaking into his wife's panties while she's out. I like "transvestite", although it does make people think of Rocky Horror Picture Show. :)

I see it exactly the opposite way. To me, "crossdresser" is the friendlier term while "transvestite" seems to bring visions of the denizens of Transylvania.

Regardless, as the language evolves folks will come up with negative connotations for any commonly-used designation and other folks will figure out ways to be offended by it.

May I just steal a bit from a popular comedian and refer to myself as a "Male Lesbian?" :)

BRANDYJ
02-07-2011, 07:01 PM
I like gender-gifted.

Jennifer Freeman
02-07-2011, 07:16 PM
May I just steal a bit from a popular comedian and refer to myself as a "Male Lesbian?" :)[/QUOTE]

I've often thought that if I were born female, I'd be a lesbian.:battingeyelashes: Yes I like the term male lesbian!:devil:
Jennifer Freeman

Presh GG
02-07-2011, 07:18 PM
May I ?

I refer to my husband as Bi gender or dual gender... depending on my mood. :D

That's just me.
Presh GG

JustineFallow
02-07-2011, 07:30 PM
I don't like all the "t"'s in 'transvestite', so 'crossdresser' sounds better to my ears.

herwannabe
02-07-2011, 07:31 PM
I personally, I prefer Crossdresser to Transvestite more so I am "wannabe", On here you can call me Michelle in Male mode you may call me Michael but either way please don't call me late for dinner

Magnus Hirschfeld coined the term transvestism around 1915 in Berlin (from Latin trans-, "across, over" and vestere, "to dress or to wear"). He used it to describe a group of people who habitually and voluntarily wore clothes of the opposite sex. (The distinction between sex and gender had not been made at this time.) Hirschfeld's group of transvestites consisted of both males and females, with any sexual preference.

There are many different usages and meanings of the term transvestism. Most experts agree that the correct usages is limited to:
When people dress in clothes normally worn by the opposite gender in order to identify with that gender in some manner.
When people dress in clothes normally worn by the opposite gender for purposes involving sexual arousal (transvestic fetishism).

Ms Mira
02-07-2011, 07:33 PM
Pasted from my previous threads:

As for transvestite vs. crossdresser, well... It's a slight semantic difference, but I prefer transvestite.

I accept the definitions at dictionary.com. Transvestite: a person and especially a male who adopts the dress and often the behavior typical of the opposite sex especially for purposes of emotional or sexual gratification. Another one that I think adds something important: person with a strong desire to dress in clothing of the opposite sex.

Crossdresser: to dress in clothing typically worn by members of the opposite sex.

Being a crossdresser or crossdressing sounds like something you do: putting on clothing of the opposite gender. Which is true, but I think it's a pretty far ranging behavior, from the girls on this forum to a guy wearing a dress, but otherwise presenting as male, on Halloween to Monty Python. But, transvestite sounds more like somebody you are inside, something more all encompassing, from birth. You get emotional and sexual fulfillment from the act of crossdressing that others do not, even if they were to crossdress. You will have lifelong desires. One of the thoughts that motivated me to tell my sister is that, even if I went to the grave without dressing up or telling anybody, I would still be a transvestite; I'd still desire to dress and present as feminine, even if I never dressed up.

Crossdresser sounds more like a euphemism to me, a more palatable word perhaps without the past negative "****ty" connotations of transvestite. I'd rather be accurate and honest though. And, hell, let's start changing what people think of the word transvestite anyway.

Final thought: I think people underestimate or talk down the power of their sexuality too often. Like, you're somehow a lesser transperson if you dress for "only" sexual reasons and not emotional. But, is there such a thing as "only" sexual reasons? I mean, your sexuality reaches deep down into who you are and your desires and yes... your emotions. If dressing up is the only way you will be satisfied sexually, that's a pretty HUGE thing that should affect your life decisions, no? I think that transpeople who are like "I like to dress up, but only for sexual reasons" are often (not all the time) trying to disassociate themselves from their transvestistic behavior in some way.

DebsUK
02-07-2011, 07:38 PM
A Near Miss
A Knight-Mare
Serial Friller

Debglam
02-07-2011, 07:42 PM
A Near Miss
A Knight-Mare
Serial Friller

You did it again Debs (wiping coffee off of my monitor)!:D

"Serial Friller" indeed!

busker
02-07-2011, 08:04 PM
I have seen mentioned Femiman in relation to the androgynous dressing of some of the high-fashion male/female models such as Pejic.
It coujld be a universal lastname Hester Femiman, Haley mills Femiman like a tribe the is universal and interconnected.
possibly we could be:
Drag-goon
Drabonette
femifashionistas
bootycuties
dameswithoutborders
VSapparelqueens
sequinaddicts
thongamabobs
pantyloons
Dressers

Personally, I'm not too crazy about either term-crossdresser or transvestite (one is Latin, one is English) because of their connection with the gay community (no offense folks). It would be nice to have another descriptive term that--label if you will-- could be as different as pilot is form truck driver.
Femiman is actually not too bad but it is a mouthful sort of.
dress-alternative person
male-clothing optional peson
genderdresser

I don't know--something, anything.:2c:

busker
02-07-2011, 08:07 PM
A Near Miss
A Knight-Mare
Serial Friller

A NEAR MISS love it.

Kate Lynn
02-07-2011, 08:08 PM
Politically correct is not spoken here,I say whats on my mind,in my own way,and it's 100% not politically correct.

Yes I have been accused of being as subtle as a cement block right between the eyes.

Michelle.M
02-07-2011, 08:16 PM
How about "Wardrobe Gifted"?

Briana90802
02-08-2011, 01:00 AM
Drag-goon
Drabonette
femifashionistas
bootycuties
dameswithoutborders
VSapparelqueens
sequinaddicts
thongamabobs
pantyloons
Dressers

:

Sorry to say this but you are FIRED! J/K. ;)

Tranny Tee
02-08-2011, 01:23 AM
While I prefer to think of myself as a crossdresser most everyone else regards me as a Freak of Nature.

Yvonne York
02-08-2011, 03:13 AM
I am happy with crossdresser, although I would prefer to be just a 'girl'!

2SpeedTranny
02-08-2011, 03:15 AM
How about "Wardrobe Gifted"?

More like Wardrobe Overflowing!

I like Drag-goon and male lesbian.

Girlfriend has taken to calling me "Mister Princess." :o

If I were a Sioux, I'd be "Wind In His Skirt."

Other'n'at... who really gives a crap? Words is words. What am I? I'm me. I'm the only one if its kind. Calling myself a transvestite really makes no more sense than calling myself a hockey fan -- which tells the listener exactly one thing about me. That's like trying to describe a month-long tour of Europe in one sentence. What's the point?

Nick2Nikki
02-08-2011, 05:27 AM
I'm transgendered (since it's an umbrella term), and I'm both a crossdresser and a transvestite (since they both mean the exact same thing). I think of myself as a crossdresser, but when explaining it to others I'll initially use the term transvestitve, since most people know what that means.

And as for those who insist that labels cannot be applied to them, even if a banana insists it's not a banana, it's still a banana. It's also an incorrect banana.

Labels are important. Labels are names for things, people, ideas. Most of the words in language are labels. Labels are used because they conveniently portray an idea in a single word. If we didn't have labels like crossdresser, I would constantly be using the phrase "a person who likes to dress in the clothing of the opposite gender." Sure it might be a little more descriptive than a single word, but it's surely nowhere near as convenient. Words aren't just sounds we make with our mouths, words are little packets of meaning and description. As society comes upon new ideas, new words are made to label the new ideas, to make them easier to communicate about. If we didn't make new words it would take forever to accurately communicate ideas. Imagine trying to write a computer manual in Latin--it would probably take an entire sentence in Latin to describe what only takes a single word in English--"motherboard."

erickka
02-08-2011, 07:15 AM
IMO, Labels suck. Political correct-ness is also a lot of hot air. What ever happened to thick skinned people that just told it like it is? Oh, and the word "transvestite" (used as a slang word or term) was referring to the drag queenish people where I grew up. I do prefer "crossdresser" because that is what I am doing....a guy dressing in girl's clothing.

Jay Cee
02-08-2011, 07:29 AM
I'd like to see another option available on forms that insist you identify your gender.

Mr.
Ms.
Mrs.
Mstr. (pronounced "mizzter")

Rianna Humble
02-08-2011, 07:35 AM
does that make me"PC challenged?"

That's how some of my customers describe themselves whilst I'm helping with their computer :eek:

Blaire
02-08-2011, 10:08 AM
Does it matter? You'll get a different answer depending where you are. Literally, they mean the same thing, but some of each of our life experiences has placed positive or negative connotations on one word or the other. It becomes important to think of language objectively, and not allow subjective twists to get in the way.

I think the important thing is to believe that we're all part of the same community and to stop getting our panties in knots when someone doesn't use your term of the week for yourself when describing you.

suchacutie
02-08-2011, 10:25 AM
The OP asked that we have fun with this, but it is a little close to home, isn't it. Even so, I guess I'll finally weigh in with my opinions of me:

1) I'm not wild about transvestite because of the fetishist overtones, and Tina is surely not a fetish!

2) I'm also not wild about crossdresser because it's verbal focus is on the outer shell (dressing) and although the whole ball of wax that is Tina comes with feminine attire, Tina is not about a "guy in a dress" so I'd rather avoid the crossdresser term.

3) I like transgendered, but it has taken on such a general connotation that it doesn't explain much.

4) I really like bigendered (I think I'm the second person to mention this term) as my masculine and feminine selves really have a large degree of separation, hence I really do feel I live in two genders.

5) The terms like trans-lesbian might be the case, but the sexually-linked terms seem to take away from the focus of the internal need to be feminine without the need for sexual overtones.

6) I also don't find the nicknames of tranny or t-girl unpleasant.

But that's just me :)

tina

NicoleScott
02-08-2011, 10:36 AM
What this forum needs is a glossary page - where terms are defined for the sole purpose of discussion on the forum. That way, we can stop having this recurring discussion/disagreemet/argument. Away from here, use whatever terms you please. Because of our backgrounds, we will never be in agreement otherwise.

Melissa Rose
02-08-2011, 11:38 AM
Why even bother with titles especially PC ones. Obviously, there is not even agreement within the "community". While I think I understand the OPs desire to have a nice, clean, agreeable title, I don't think they work in the real world. Titles allow you to be stereotyped and labeled. Rarely does anyone fit perfectly within a title. We are all individuals with an almost infinite number of variations. The driving forces behind who we are are also unique and varied. Until we as a group stop labeling ourselves, how do we expect the general masses to stop looking at us as anything but another person in the crowd? I am me - an unique individual - not a title or label.

Briana90802
02-08-2011, 01:06 PM
Oh my GAWD! Is it just me or are people taking this subject much to seriously? PC, not PC? To label or not to label? Really who cares? Regardless if we choose to label ourselves or not other people will label us for themselves and I can't see that changing anytime soon.

But this topic was meant to be fun and not to be taken too seriously. Let's keep it light because the three things in our lives(as humans) that seems to be rather universal is that life is too short, too serious and definitely too stressful.

Keep it fun people. ;)

JohnH
02-08-2011, 01:49 PM
Any of the above terms are to be preferred to:

F**king Pervert

that I have been called when I had the audacity to walk on the driveway of a "friend" while wearing a denim skirt with otherwise drab attire.

Johanna

BillieJoEllen
02-08-2011, 05:35 PM
'Woman', works well for me. PC? I don't speak that language but I do try to be nice to everyone.

Stephanie Anne
02-08-2011, 06:27 PM
Transvestite is no longer a title. It is like Latin, a dead language and a dead term.

It is crossdresser, gender queer (or gender f*ck if you prefer), transsexual, and for the biological side of transsexual, sometimes intersex.

All these terms are covered under transgender.

People tend to sometimes use gender non conforming, androgynous, or androgyne.

MichelleP
02-08-2011, 06:54 PM
Transgendered is fine. Michelle to my friends and family ('cause they actually picked that name). I don't really have a strong opinion about either crossdresser or transvestite - I've been called both.

Christy_M
02-09-2011, 12:18 AM
Karren works well.... For me... Not you...

I can't imagine saying "I am going to 'Karren' and then go out to see some friends."

A Near Miss
A Knight-Mare
Serial Friller

All great, perfect answer.

I feel I am transgendered. Whatever terms that people use to describe me cannot cover the many points on the spectrum to really capture how I feel about this.

For a new term, maybe "Female adjacent."

AlannahNorth
02-09-2011, 12:23 AM
I prefer the term crossdresser - it seems to fit better. However if anyone is offended by my being what I am then I don't care what term they use, I'm not going to get along with them...

busker
02-09-2011, 02:16 AM
I can't imagine saying "I am going to 'Karren' and then go out to see some friends."
"

You can Karren all you want, so long as you DON'T DO IT IN JEANS!

Briana90802
03-09-2011, 09:18 AM
I kinda like the title Glamazon

Wendy_Marie
03-09-2011, 10:36 AM
Testosterone Deficent.

NicoleScott
03-09-2011, 12:45 PM
A heterosexual crossdresser who loves frilly dresses: straight-laced

Leslie Langford
03-09-2011, 01:00 PM
I've never liked the term "transvestite" because it sounds so clinical and because of the negative connotations associated with it - deviant, mentally ill, fetishistic etc. Even the Brits, who tend to use that term more frequently, typically tone it down to the more benign, sympathetic, playful, and non-threatening diminutive of "tranny".

I used to prefer the word "crossdresser" back in the days when I thought it was all about my love for women's clothing, but ever since I have been going out in public as "Leslie" (about 3 years now), I've come to realize that it is more than just experiencing the feel of women's clothing an looking like a woman when all dressed up. I have actually come to enjoy being treated like a woman when out and about and the social interactions that entails i.e being served by SA's in stores, chatting with other women customers, interacting with restaurant wait staff, having makeovers done etc.

So yes, while I am still fundamentally male and live my life that way 90% of the time, I also realize that the term "transgendered" probably best describes the way I see myself now, and because "Leslie" as such an important part of who I am deep down inside.

Briana90802
03-09-2011, 07:07 PM
Actually I'm surprised that the term Tom-girl isn't used for cding. Any thoughts?

Debutante
03-09-2011, 07:26 PM
It has nothing to do with "politically correct"-- That phrase has been so misused, too often!
It is just that some us us prefer crossdresser... simple!

LitaKelley
03-09-2011, 07:54 PM
I identify as transgender. I don't like the word transvestite, as it implies fetish, sexual, etc... I used to consider my self crossdresser, because that's what I thought I was before I learned more about my self, but I can no longer identify as CD simply, although technically, I am cross dressing, but, for me it's much more than the clothing and dressing as I wish to transition and have been suffering gender identity dysphoria alot these past several months, however, won't identify my self as transsexual until a therapist tells me that this is correct. It's just that I feel that I'm dressing so that my outside and expression matches who I am on the inside.. I think

Frédérique
03-10-2011, 12:51 AM
Any ideas?

How about HUMAN BEING???:idontknow:

Sophie86
03-10-2011, 01:13 AM
I've never liked the term "transvestite" because it sounds so clinical and because of the negative connotations associated with it - deviant, mentally ill, fetishistic etc.

I'm the same way. It's also the term that was popular when I was young, and I think the shame I felt about what I was doing then kinda stuck to the word, along with all the negative stereotypes I heard about it.

busker
03-10-2011, 01:39 AM
if you were a dresser with a mirror, you would be a vanity. Femiman is also a term i have heard recently.

Rianna Humble
03-10-2011, 09:30 AM
if you were a dresser with a mirror, you would be a vanity

I haven't got a mirror, but I do speak French so would that make me a French Dresser?

t-girlxsophie
03-10-2011, 08:34 PM
Politically Correctness is actually abused too much these days,causing rather than solving problems.I answer to Crossdresser and to Transvestite.I'm happy where I am in the spectrum.we shouldnt get hung up on labels IMO

Terrigirl
03-10-2011, 11:24 PM
I do not like the term crossdresser. It is more of an activity than defining who I am. I would like to refer myself as transgendered, however most confuse that term with transexual, which I am not. So, I would love it if there were a PC term that would define who I am. How about Iambothmaleandfemaleatthesametimeallofthetimeism?? That should cover it.

DianeDeBris
03-11-2011, 03:47 AM
There have been several wonderful suggestions in this thread: "Near Miss," "Serial Friller," "PantyLoon" and "Transistor" are great! "Hot cross-bunny" may be my favorite. I need to ask: if I dress badly, do my makeup badly and clomp around with mannish movements and gestures, would that make me "Femi-none?"
If you haven't seen it, there is another thread going on right now, called "When Does CD Become TV," which roughly parallels this one and has some very funny suggestions pretzled into it.
Hugs to all -- Diane

AshleyJones
03-11-2011, 07:31 AM
I am bi-gendered however I prefer the term gender fluid. I have never actually seen anyone other than myself use this term though. I started using it one day when my friend stated that she felt gender should really be something that is fluid and thats how I feel I am.

Elena Ornamental
03-11-2011, 08:11 AM
As I'm sure you've heard by now, crossdresser is the more Politically Correct term. "Transvestite" brings up the sexual issues to a large percentage of the population. Which also brings up the question of why a persons sexuality should make a difference in social interactions in the eyes of society. It's an element by which people are judged. Is it the residual Puritanism in American culture that condemns anything sexual that makes it "bad"?