PDA

View Full Version : Transvestite vs. Crossdresser

Ms Mira
02-07-2011, 07:09 PM
I described myself several times as a transvestite instead of a crossdresser in my other post on this page, which seems to have lead to this interesting debate between the two terms. I'd like to hear what people think, how they would describe themselves, and what they think is the distinction between the two words. My post below.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for transvestite vs. crossdresser, well... It's a slight semantic difference, but I prefer transvestite.

I accept the definitions at dictionary.com. Transvestite: a person and especially a male who adopts the dress and often the behavior typical of the opposite sex especially for purposes of emotional or sexual gratification. Another one that I think adds something important: person with a strong desire to dress in clothing of the opposite sex.

Crossdresser: to dress in clothing typically worn by members of the opposite sex.

Being a crossdresser or crossdressing sounds like something you do: putting on clothing of the opposite gender. Which is true, but I think it's a pretty far ranging behavior, from the girls on this forum to a guy wearing a dress, but otherwise presenting as male, on Halloween to Monty Python. But, transvestite sounds more like somebody you are inside, something more all encompassing, from birth. You get emotional and sexual fulfillment from the act of crossdressing that others do not, even if they were to crossdress. You will have lifelong desires. One of the thoughts that motivated me to tell my sister is that, even if I went to the grave without dressing up or telling anybody, I would still be a transvestite; I'd still desire to dress and present as feminine, even if I never dressed up.

Crossdresser sounds more like a euphemism to me, a more palatable word perhaps without the past negative connotations of transvestite. I'd rather be accurate and honest though. And, hell, let's start changing what people think of the word transvestite anyway.

Final thought: I think people underestimate or talk down the power of their sexuality too often. Like, you're somehow a lesser transperson if you dress for "only" sexual reasons and not emotional. But, is there such a thing as "only" sexual reasons? I mean, your sexuality reaches deep down into who you are and your desires and yes... your emotions. If dressing up is the only way you will be satisfied sexually, that's a pretty HUGE thing that should affect your life decisions, no? I think that transpeople who are like "I like to dress up, but only for sexual reasons" are often (not all the time) trying to disassociate themselves from their transvestistic behavior in some way.

Debglam
02-07-2011, 07:22 PM
Hi Mira! First, welcome! Second, the debate rages as we speak. . .

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?148347-Politically-Correct-titles

Debby

Ms Mira
02-07-2011, 07:33 PM
Crap.

Moderators, can we close this thread?

Cynthia Anne
02-07-2011, 07:35 PM
I think I understand where you're coming from. Maybe a transvestite describes me better but with all the hate and the abuse I have received associated with the word it's hard for me to call myself a transvestite! Good luck on changing people!