PDA

View Full Version : Ignorance or Facts

Christy_M
02-09-2011, 11:51 PM
Hmmmm - I found this in response to the Seattle newspaper's article about the incident with Ross a few months ago. Besides all the vitriol, there are a number of folks who are challenging this thinking. I post this to ask "should I be offended here or just feel sorry for this person?"

"He, is NOT a woman. Because HE cannot reconcile his perception of who HE is with the REALITY of who HE is, does not make HIM a woman."

To be perfectly honest, I am indifferent about it. It doesn't have an effect other than curiosity if I should have a reaction.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/435122_transgender.html
:eek:

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?148456-RE-Ross

Sophie86
02-10-2011, 12:02 AM
Reading comments posted on news articles is a depressing pastime, even if the article isn't about you. They inevitably attract hateful idiots. I would ignore it.

Suzette Muguet de Mai
02-10-2011, 12:12 AM
I think "move on" go forward. Dwelling on stupid comments like this, and it is a poorly constructed comment will only waste precious time.

luludoll
02-10-2011, 12:16 AM
Ignore it. there's a lot of angry people out there

Tanya C
02-10-2011, 12:50 AM
Just realize that poeple like that are ignorant, and they miss no opportunity to advertise it to the world. He knows nothing about people like us and so his visceral reaction towards us is one of hatred. And I'll bet you anything he has a big problem with all kinds of people who aren't just like him.
So, disregard his comments like so much rubbish.

jarts55
02-10-2011, 01:04 AM
I thought everyone knew that the only thing worth reading in a newspaper was in the educational section, you know....the funnies.

Chickhe
02-10-2011, 01:08 AM
The comment is irrelivant to the issue. Changerooms and stores should accomodate any customer. People should get past the idea that a changeroom is somehow a magical gender segregated place...there is no reason for it.

christine55
02-10-2011, 02:08 AM
This one kind of surprises me. I thought all the big chain apparel stores would have already had gender discrimination policies in place in this litigious society.

Hugs, Christine

HairyBethCD
02-10-2011, 04:38 AM
Actually, I was pleasantly surprised at the far larger number of people who well well informed and accepting of issue and were more than happy telling the bigotted ones where to get off and why.

2SpeedTranny
02-10-2011, 04:54 AM
Well... in a way, that comment was right. You're not a woman by virtue of wearing women's clothing. Just as you are not a giraffe by eating leaves.

That said, the manager of that store was being an idiot. Money is money. A sale is a sale. And if you run a retail establishment, you make money by catering to people who spend money in your store. Obsequiousness equals commission.

I won't shop at JC Penney any more, because they're picky about dressing rooms. It's not that I have a moral problem with picking out dresses and then marching clear across the store... or to another floor entirely... to use the specifically mens' fitting rooms... but it's a pain in the ass. Makes it difficult to grab other sizes, etc. But it's their right as a retailer to be a pain in my ass -- just as it's my right to shop elsewhere. Sorry, JCP, I like some of your stuff, but so be it. Bye.

On the other end would be Kohl's. They seem to have no hangups. I've shopped the ladies' department there in drab, bipped in and tried stuff on at the nearest fitting rooms, no problem. No one bats an eyelash. I'm not sure they even assign a gender to their dressing rooms. So guess where I shop, of the two?

That was crap of the Ross employee. I just don't logically follow the lawsuit. Boycott the store; boycott the chain. In the long run, that will do more, whether it's a rolling of heads from corporate, or a drop in their business.

Edit: In parts of this planet, restrooms are unisex. It's understood that if you have a private stall, you're good to go. (haha) Our good old USA seems a bit hung up on things like that.

Mary Morgan
02-10-2011, 05:42 AM
Even God forbid, were it lawful to remove someone from a particular situation such as identified here, there is never an excuse for humilating another person. There are ways to communicate even unpleasant things and this Ross employee was wrong on so many counts. Let's not overlook the fact that beyond transgender policy we all have a right to be treated with civility.

Sedona
02-10-2011, 06:57 AM
Has anybody else had a problem with Ross? I've shopped there (and occasionally tried on) for years without incident. Sounds like one idiot in one store, but that doesn't excuse the horror that that lady had to endure. If she sues, she has a case, but I don't think a boycott is in order, unless Ross refuses to change their policies and vigorously defends the actions of its manager.

noeleena
02-10-2011, 07:18 AM
Hi.

Sounds like theres still a few who can not handle a persons difference in how they dress.
Id like to see the reason as to why this manager had a out burst & get his reason as to why. & get his side of the story.

For me in our land i dont have any probs & nore wiil i at least we have a greater acceptance of peoples difference here.& being well known does help .

...noeleena...

Gerrijerry
02-10-2011, 07:22 AM
This was a subjet that we already talked about. But just to say again. If that store or any other gives you a hard time then don't shop there anymore. Tell us all and we will not shop there either. That simple. The store gets the message when and only when it cost then money. believe it or not CD business is big money for the stores don't let anyone fool you that it is not.
You can always fight back if someone in a store tries to humiliate you. However for many of the girls just going out to the store was a major experance and they don't want to end up in the newspaper as a story.

t-girlxsophie
02-10-2011, 07:42 AM
No Christy you shouldnt even bother with this-lucky the guy managed two sentences together leave him to wallow in his bigoted life,am sure theres more ppl backing you up than not.am just glad you been vindicated in this situation

Michelle.M
02-10-2011, 09:09 AM
Reading comments posted on news articles is a depressing pastime, even if the article isn't about you. They inevitably attract hateful idiots. I would ignore it.

I agree. Any sense of fairness or straight reporting that might have been in the article gets quickly distorted by the stupidity that follows in the form of readers' comments.

Sara Jessica
02-10-2011, 09:59 AM
Christy, your response on the article's site was heart-wrenching. You made your point eloquently and even threw in a little dig or two at the haters.

Those on these pages apparently had an impact on Ross Stores. Perhaps it is time to flood the comments section to drown out the haters.

Babette
02-10-2011, 10:33 AM
I quit reading the Internet news' responses and solicited opinions because they attract insensitive people popping off with cheap shots. A difference of opinion is something I can respect if it is done without being malicious. The entire incident caused by the employee sadly testifies to society's level of "trans" understanding. Unfortunately, the whole episode escalated into a lawsuit but as my grandfather always said, "A good bashing now and then will motivate the orneriest of mules to get off of dead center."

Babette

Rianna Humble
02-10-2011, 03:29 PM
I post this to ask "should I be offended here or just feel sorry for this person?"

"He, is NOT a woman. Because HE cannot reconcile his perception of who HE is with the REALITY of who HE is, does not make HIM a woman."

To be perfectly honest, I am indifferent about it. It doesn't have an effect other than curiosity if I should have a reaction.

It is an unfortunate truth - as you posted in follow-up to the article - that when you were in the armed forces you put your life on the line so that idiots like this could continue their idiocy.

People like this could be used as an illustration in the flaws of Darwin's hypothesis about evolution - how can man have evolved if people like that still exist in the 21st Century?

I think your reaction of indifference is the best (as well as the most dignified) approach.

Niya W
02-10-2011, 03:49 PM
I love the internees cause it helps me find others like me . I hate the net cause it helps idiots find other idiots .
I love the net caused it helped me find a voice and realize I'm not alone .

You get my point. The net gave a voice to those that other wise would not speak up. Some of those folks are going to spout ignorance and hate .

Stephanie Anne
02-10-2011, 04:47 PM
5% of the population have a physical disability that does not allow them to keep their mouth shut and hates everyone and everything. Nothing we can do to stop them from breeding more trolls.

Presh GG
02-10-2011, 10:28 PM
Christy,
If this is the first time you have read the comments on that site, the Sea. times and / or the Seattle pi.com readers comments, These same creeps comment with nothing but vitriol on All the "news".. every day. That is their whole life !

Let it go hun, they're off to THEIR next " victim of the day"

Presh GG

Debglam
02-10-2011, 10:35 PM
Hi Christy,

Just to add to what the others have said, these newspaper commenters are generally cowards, hiding behind their anonymity to throw rocks at everything and everyone. You are so far beyond them girl!

Debby

JustineFallow
02-10-2011, 11:13 PM
In general, I'd love to see comment sections at news websites be abolished. Period. This is NOT due to any fascist sentiment (indeed, I'm about as left-wing as you can get) but purely because of the amount of ignorance expressed by the mass of commenters on absolutely any subject under the sun. It's not just a "more heat than light" situation, it's that they can't even figure out how to hold the bloody sticks properly let alone start a fire. In this case, you have people for whom transgenderism equals "man in a dress". Nothing more, nothing less. Who really gives a flying rat's flaming ass about what anyone that uninformed, especially those who are proud to be that way, has to say?

LitaKelley
02-10-2011, 11:25 PM
bunch of haters and biggots, true.. but seems to be more sympathetic and supporters of TG commenting.

BTW, did you see this comment

"Ironic that a store one "C" away from being named "CRoss Dress for Less" actually discriminates against transgender clientele." << sorry, but I did find that funny

and I HATE how "news" sites require one to sign up to comment... pfft

NathalieX66
02-10-2011, 11:36 PM
You have to keep in mind that the more people push the boundaries, the more pressure society finds itself the need to change. Even though there might be consequences, you still persevere.

Let's all put ourselves in the place of Rosa Parks, for a change......that's how change happens.

I went on the macys.com website, and they do support lgbt rights, and even show the blue box with two yellow stripes (Human Rights Campaign) clealy on their site. I have shopped at Macys en femme using the womens fitting rooms and I have recieved nothing but the utmost cooperation and enthusiasm from their staff

Rosa Parks was no softie.....are you?

Rianna Humble
02-11-2011, 04:40 AM
I HATE how "news" sites require one to sign up to comment... pfft

I agree that it can be a pain, but it avoids what used to happen before you had to sign up. A single hater could post as many inflammatory comments as he wanted under different assumed names then point to those as a majority supporting his point of view

Loni
02-11-2011, 11:08 AM
just print out the story and forward it to the corporate office, with the question "is this your corp policy"?
include as much info about the mouthy person as you know about, things will get better at that store.