PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have a CDL or drive for a living?

AlysonCD
02-10-2011, 09:42 PM
Is there anybody on here that drives a truck for a living? I'm (hopefully) about to start training to get my CDL at a local training course here. My main question is, do you dress while on the road? If so, how well are you able to? I'm not really concerned about whether or not I'm able to dress as if I do start driving, that job will be TONS better then what I do now. I just wanted to get another cd's advice. Thanks, and if this is in the wrong place, please move it to the appropriate place.

RADER
02-10-2011, 09:53 PM
I am a retired Carpenter, with a CDL for many years.
I drive a Dump Truck part time as a fill in for a small excavating company
near me. I do not dress when driving, but I do wear panties.
I am in and out of the truck 20 times a day at least, so trying to "get away"
with any dressing just does not make sense.
Good luck on your training. When backing up a trailer, remember to back up
the "Trailer", not the truck. Use the bottom of the steering wheel, pushing
it toward the way you want to go. Go slow, and you will catch on.
See if you can borrow a boat trailer or such to practice on. It will help you
to get the hang of backing. Always chuck your mirrors and trust your mirrors.
Rader

Wendy_Marie
02-10-2011, 09:53 PM
I have a CDL, Tanker, Air Brakes and HazMat endorsements....But I don't use it anymore. I still drive for a living but not in trucking. Good Luck.

sami1952
02-10-2011, 09:59 PM
i use to be an owner-operator til 2001.gave it up when i saw the trucking busniess was going all to hell.as far as dressing up i used to do all the time,but times are different and DOT has gotten stricker.more inspections and pull overs.i wouldn't it any more.

AlysonCD
02-10-2011, 10:23 PM
Rader

Thanks for the advice. I do own a horse trailer that I have to back up on a regular basis

Alberta_Pat
02-10-2011, 11:03 PM
I, too, am a "materials re-location technician".

I drive in Western Canada hauling tanks. Always under dressed. Nails always painted. Toes bright and chipper, but fingers are done with a gloss clear. Both ears are pierced, with "industrial" earrings. Never been questioned about any of my appearance.

I spend quite a few nights away from home, but don't get a chance to dress while away from home.

Rader talks to you about getting ready for the task. Do take as much practise time as you can.

Please remember that once you get your CDL, you have a "license to learn". You will see many of the things you now do every day. I am sure you will change your driving habits once you start driving a rig.

Also, please keep in mind that the only "late load" is the one that doesn't get there.

Soriya
02-10-2011, 11:12 PM
Please remember that once you get your CDL, you have a "license to learn". You will see many of the things you now do every day. I am sure you will change your driving habits once you start driving a rig.

I have to echo this statement here. I don't drive anymore either but did in my 20's. Before driving trucks, I used to drive my car like I was qualifying for the Daytona 500. Once I got behind the wjeel of a truck, I started to see things from the other side. It sure did change how I drove all around. As for dressing, I wasn't dressing at the time but since I was only a route driver delivering soda, I wouldn't have had the opportunites to do so.

Good luck.

LitaKelley
02-10-2011, 11:15 PM
Ironic, and small world.. I was just reading email communications among TSNE members whom are CDL drivers. I know Christina Horton from this forum is a CDL driver in Canada

CaitlynRenee
02-11-2011, 12:58 AM
Years ago with my Dad. Until, that is, I came to realize the 'open road' could be a very lonely road and that requirements from the company could make the job a sweat shop on wheels.

Don't miss it at all............. But I admire those who continue on in this economy.

Did like the 'big trucks' though. Some rigs are down right beautiful.............

DeeArel
02-11-2011, 02:28 AM
have had a CDL for years but only drove locally. The lure of the road was always tempting. However, any place is better than here is mostly an illusion and reality sets in once you get there. Follow advise for driving given by others. You should always be a student and never become an expert. Big trucks must always be treated with respect.

Loni
02-11-2011, 02:54 AM
stay away from the trucking jobs.

been trapped in one for 20 years, bad back bad knees bad body.

pending on who and what you do as a driver, but as a staple no dressing allowed, skirts and the steps into and out of a rig just do not mix, and time is a problem if over the rd no place to or time to stop and "adjust" before dropping or picking up a load.
and most company's have spy's watching you. so you will get asked about the girl driving the truck.

and we will not get into the mind set of a lot of people, both in and out of the trucks...got very good medical and disability insurance?

yes there are some that it would be no problem, but that is the odd deal, not the standard.

i say get a boring 9-5 job with weekends off. the benefit is you get to have a life.

Michelle 51
02-11-2011, 02:51 PM
I've made a living with my license since I was 19.Don't long haul anymore.Much nicer to snuggle to a warm SO at night and be around my kids.I think the trucking industry is pretty open minded.If you do the same run even if its a thousand miles you'll get to know most of the same people at the stops and they'll accept you for who you are.

AlysonCD
02-11-2011, 08:39 PM
I guess I should be a little more clear. I have no intention of driving/going out while dressed. But when I'm parked resting, I might want to wear some girly stuff while I'm asleep

BLUE ORCHID
02-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Hi Alyson, I have had a CDL and before that a chauffers license for over 45 years
I drove dump trucks on road and heavy off road dump trucks, cement mixers, lowboys,
high flats, oil trucks & gasoline tankers.

Just remember one thing.
If it don't look right don't do it!!
Driving is a full time job you don't need a lot of distractions.
Words to live by.

Oh and by the way how you can tell the difference between a company driver
and an owner/operator. The O/O is the one laying under the truck on the weekend .

Orchid

charlen
02-12-2011, 08:56 AM
I have a cdl now for 10 yrs. I drive over the road and have dressed when out on weekend and get a motel room. I hope you give it some serously think before you jump. It is a hard and demanding job and the money is not what it should be. Good luck.

Michelle.M
02-12-2011, 09:31 AM
What?! You have to have a license to be a CD? This government is just outta control!

Wait, it's a license to do what?

Oohhhh ..... never mind!

Ericka2
02-12-2011, 09:42 AM
LOL! Michelle, I also have my CDL but haven't driven an 18 wheeler for many years, I do love get on the highway wear my mini skirt open blouse and show the truckers some skin, is such a rush for me and they enjoy it too.

Love, Ericka.

stephiny10
02-12-2011, 01:24 PM
On the lighter side,but related to this thread check out a song by "weird al" named the truck driver song.

Loni
02-12-2011, 01:54 PM
On the lighter side,but related to this thread check out a song by "weird al" named the truck driver song.

sick....sick....sick...but funny....love that song.

Tomara
02-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Hi Alyson,

I also have a CDL and have driven thousands of miles under-dressed and never had any problems on the road where I felt uncomfortable with the way I was dressed.
Good luck with your training and when you start driving don't be afraid to dress a little girlie and enjoy your time on the road.

Tomara

Maxi
02-12-2011, 07:50 PM
I have driven locally for 25 years now. Hold Class A, w/doubles & triples. Own my own rig for recreational use, only get paid to drive company rigs. My over the road rig is really nice compared to company day cabs. Like a really big Cadillac.

rocketscientist
02-12-2011, 08:16 PM
I've been driving for about 13 years. The first few were over the road flatbed. Since then I have been driving a route semi-locally. There were a few times I did dress when I was stopped for the night,but only when I had enough time did I ever get out of the truck and walk around a bit. Kinda scary but an incredible rush at the same time! Just try walking in front of a row of trucks wearing a miniskirt and 4 inch heels! those horns can be deafening:eek: Oh, and Maxi, that's a nice looking FLD 120 ya got there!;)

anna kate
02-12-2011, 09:02 PM
Started to drive commercially in 1958. Drove for somebody else (on and off) until 1978, when I bought a business with four straight trucks. Ran that business until 2001, when I sold it to someone younger and able to keep up the pace. Still hold my CDL. New York is "playing" with the need to have a CDL to drive fire apparatus, which I still do.
Happy motoring!

joyce483
02-12-2011, 09:17 PM
I haven't had any problems so far, dressing at night while driving!! I run the same area most of the time, so I have my places that I stop where I can walk around alittle.

Maxi
02-12-2011, 10:01 PM
Thanks, rocketscientist, When it's your truck, you can dress as you like, anytime,

AlysonCD
02-12-2011, 11:22 PM
Thanks for all the responses. Maybe after a few years of driving I might get brave enough to get fully dressed and actually get out of the truck. But for now, I'll settle for just being able to underdress some and wear my (semi) girly stuff to sleep in.

irmichelle
02-13-2011, 03:07 AM
Screw the long haul. Cross border sucks. Long days and nights. No set days off. Don't know when you'll be home next. Money was good but not worth it. K. Snowplow in the winter and Asphalt haul in the summer with road maintenance. Home every day. Be surprised what you can wear under those loose coveralls. HEE HEE! Good luck! It's a nightmare out there sometimes with stupid drivers on the road. Don't trust any of them. Stay with a reputable company, not one that encourages you to run 3 log books and break every rule out there. And have lots of good tunes to put in the ol cd or cassette player.

Jilmac
02-13-2011, 10:41 AM
Rader

I'm a retired carpenter also, I worked for my local power utility as an in house construction mechanic and was required to drive everything from pick ups to semis hauling everything from lumber and tools to heavy construction equipment. I, along with numerous other employees took our state endorsed CDL exam administered through the employer. I have had a class ABCD CDL since the early eighties and it's due for renewal this year.

Since retiring from my utility job I have driven straight trucks, flatbed, dump, and concrete and on each job I have gone underdressed (panties, pantyhose, and cami in winter, and androgenous tank top in summer), but would never go completely en femme while driving. If you intend to drive interstate where you're in the cab most of the time dressing full time might work for you but you might get some long hard looks from other drivers especailly at truck stops and scales.

Tina B.
02-13-2011, 11:11 AM
Old bed bug hauler here, I used to under dress all the time, but no I don't think I would try working that way, scales, customers and bosses, to many to upset. But a night on the road in motels, that was a different story. I've been out of the business for a few years now, but other than the money's not as good, it was a pretty good life.
Tina B.

Samantha Thomson
02-13-2011, 12:32 PM
i have a cdl drive box trucks mostly but some time 18wheelers if we have big jobs but that not to offen got to remember when you are driving you may get pulled over by dot they are idiots so be safer to just dress at home

AKKaren
02-15-2011, 02:17 PM
:battingeyelashes:31 years and 3.5 million accident free miles! I have been driving the Dalton Highway in Alaska for the last 13 years, from regular flats, vans and tankers to 250,000 pound oilfield modules and heavy equipment. The life has been good to me, but very hard on my loved ones...If I had to do it again, I wouldn't!

mywifeswoman
03-21-2011, 10:48 PM
ok guys, geez, he asked about cd'ing in the truck not a truck driving seminar...yes, i drive and have driven for almost 20 years. Its easy to experiment out here on your own in private without to much worry if you take the time to experiment at safe times, like when your stopped for the night and curtains are closed with no chance anyone will bother you. Wouldn't try it backed up to the dock though. And I find that it gives me many opportunities to try and shop at new places and walmarts, ect where noone knows or cares who I am. Nothing like a night of trying on your new purchases and doing your nails in peace and quiet in your sleeper at night too...me I love my girly bedwear and sheet and blanket sets with the automatic misters that perfume your truck interior with your favorite scent. You can completely get into the pink fog attitude in private. I always have my male clothes in one side of the truck, and my womens clothes in the other side. Never been questioned by anyone from a dealership or if your a company driver, their shop if your company has a rider policy. They may just think that stuff is your wifes..(giggle at how little do they know). And yes, I love to drive enfemme when I can, usually at night more openly, but even in the day depending on traffic and my routes. Ive yet been asked in for an inspection while enfemme, and hope I wouldn't, but am prepared to quickly change if I get run around to the back. Might be another story if the officer just comes out to jump up on the running board...So all in all, you can do it very successfully in a truck if your in tune with your surroundings and yourself as well, some of us are more "in the closet" while some of us "just don't care". I always try to underdress as much as I can, as who cares, not many could see I don't think.(jeans cover most undies and a black tee with black bra doesn't show too much I think.)

mywifeswoman
03-21-2011, 10:54 PM
Driving with my high heels on I believe the title is...its funny as heck...lol! Al said he had to come in really early in the morning to get that "low, deep" trucker voice when he recorded it.

AlysonCD
03-22-2011, 05:16 PM
ok guys, geez, he asked about cd'ing in the truck not a truck driving seminar...yes, i drive and have driven for almost 20 years. Its easy to experiment out here on your own in private without to much worry if you take the time to experiment at safe times, like when your stopped for the night and curtains are closed with no chance anyone will bother you. Wouldn't try it backed up to the dock though. And I find that it gives me many opportunities to try and shop at new places and walmarts, ect where noone knows or cares who I am. Nothing like a night of trying on your new purchases and doing your nails in peace and quiet in your sleeper at night too...me I love my girly bedwear and sheet and blanket sets with the automatic misters that perfume your truck interior with your favorite scent. You can completely get into the pink fog attitude in private. I always have my male clothes in one side of the truck, and my womens clothes in the other side. Never been questioned by anyone from a dealership or if your a company driver, their shop if your company has a rider policy. They may just think that stuff is your wifes..(giggle at how little do they know). And yes, I love to drive enfemme when I can, usually at night more openly, but even in the day depending on traffic and my routes. Ive yet been asked in for an inspection while enfemme, and hope I wouldn't, but am prepared to quickly change if I get run around to the back. Might be another story if the officer just comes out to jump up on the running board...So all in all, you can do it very successfully in a truck if your in tune with your surroundings and yourself as well, some of us are more "in the closet" while some of us "just don't care". I always try to underdress as much as I can, as who cares, not many could see I don't think.(jeans cover most undies and a black tee with black bra doesn't show too much I think.)

Now this was the kind of answer I was looking for. Yeah, I have no intention of trying to dress while docked somewhere. But at night, when I'm parked is when I'd like to be dressed. At least to a degree. I have to admit, I haven't thought about underdressing while actually driving. Thanks for all the answers everybody. I start school April 11th!