PDA

View Full Version : Gratitude

Teri Jean
02-11-2011, 03:19 PM
First off this may be in the wrong location so if it is please accept my apology and place it appropriately.

We normally sit and ask for help with GRS, HRT, family issues, friendships and such but what does one do when there is a twist of sorts and you are asked to speak to a group on what it is to be transgendered. When I started my transition two years ago I was right where one would think, the land of WTH is going on and where do I go? You know what I mean and through this forum we have helped each other in ways that boggles the minds of those who are not Trans.

So last year at the beginning of the fall semester I was asked to speak to a class on what it is to be transgendered (TS) and so I did. Just recently I was tapped again to speak and this time the class was for those studing to be HR Directors. So for the second time this girl who is more comfortable in a machine shop, repairing locks in doors and operating a steam generation plant is now standing/sitting before a class of 4th year college students giving a presentation of transgendered issues; challenges, victories, and not failure but things that could have gone better.

Today when I openeed my e-mail from work the faculty member sent me a fairly long and touching response not only from her but the entire class of appreciation. I must have reached many of them as the responses were of how much they had gained from that hour to how differently they see our community (possitive).

In discussions we criticise the world and why they cannot understand or at the least accept us for the wonderful people we are. Doctors, Lawyers, Teachers, Executives, Engineers, Trades workers, Etc. who's only crime is we don't fit the two categories that they have been led to believe as "normal". We need to step up to the soap box, like I am right now, and help those unforunate souls out there who are still ignorant to what gender is. Not the two sided coin but the field of such a diverse planting of humanity.

So this is my charge and some will say not me but it only needs to be one-on-one or it can be in a classroom setting or as some have done in the media (paper or electronic or radio). Either way one chooses to spread the truth of being transgender it will be spoken to the masses. JMTs Have a great day and safe journey where ever you travel.

Teri Jean

LisaM
02-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Thanks for such a wonderful note, Teri Jean.

Michelle 2
02-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Teri Jean,

Thank you so much on all our behalfs! I for one am proud of your undertakings and doing the same on a smaller scale. I am adding you to my list of mentors. You rock girl!

Michelle

renee k
02-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Hi Teri,

You and all the others that have steped up to plate and opened the world's eye's. My hat is off to you! Thanks!!!

Renee

Kaitlyn Michele
02-11-2011, 04:06 PM
Way to go Teri...it's a wonderful thing if you can do it, and it's a wonderful feeling when someone comes to you and simply says..."i didn't know...I wish you the best"...when that happens those folks are wishing all of us the best

Persephone
02-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Standing in front of those groups had to be scary, Teri Jean, but it is one of the best, and most important, things any of us can do.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/sandylewiscares/Smiley_trophy.gif

Awesome!

Hugs,
Persephone.

Teri Jean
02-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Thank you all and like before do what you are comfortable doing. For as we talk with one or many the word gets out there.

Katesback
02-12-2011, 12:19 AM
I used to do those cultural competency presentations and the state was paying me to do them, they were paying me a lot come to think of it. I was also paying a huge price for doing them.

These days you could not pay me enough money to go in front of a group of people and talk about trans issues or cultural competency. NOPE nada not going to happen.

Katie

Rianna Humble
02-12-2011, 08:42 AM
Hi Teri, I'd like to add my thanks for what you have done. You are right that not everyone is cut out to speak in front of a lot of people, but those like you who care do make a lot of difference for those who will come along behind.

It was a nice touch by the class to send you a collective note of appreciation.

Jay Cee
02-12-2011, 10:46 AM
I salute your courage, Teri Jean. Thank you for helping more people to understand transgender issues.

My time may come, one day. It'd probably help if I had the courage to step out of the house en femme on any night of the year, instead of just on Hallowe'en. :)

Teri Jean
02-12-2011, 12:20 PM
Jay Cee, I was there also a couple years ago and for everone it is different but the same. In your time it will happen. Thanks all for your vote of appreciation.

Starling
02-12-2011, 05:00 PM
Hurray, hurray! Bless you, Teri Jean.

:) Lallie

Charlena
02-12-2011, 08:01 PM
I recently told my story at a PFLAG meeting and it was scary, but it did feel like the right thing for me too do. I hope to have more chances with the support group my spouse and I have joined. Thank you so much for your story and courage. Hugs Lena

Miranda09
02-12-2011, 08:07 PM
What a great experience, and I can't think of anyone better to provide these students with a very insightful look into the transgendered community than you Teri. I can see a future where one day transgendered individuals (male or female) will be accepted as a "norm" and without prejudice. Our society still has much maturing to do, but I know it will get there, especially after hearing about your experience specking in front of these college students. :)

morgan51
02-13-2011, 01:00 AM
Thankyou Teri for speaking up and helping get the message across. Kudos Way to go !

Hope
02-13-2011, 01:28 AM
Good for you.

Way to shed the shame and help the community. There should be more folks like you.