PDA

View Full Version : Traveling to grow and explore myself.

CDAllie
02-12-2011, 05:32 PM
I have always been told that travelling is a great way to explore yourself and find out who you are. My idea is go travelling and spend time explore the Allie side of me.

My question is, does anyone know CD friendly vacation destinations/ parts of the world where people would be mroe accepting ?

Lainie
02-12-2011, 05:50 PM
I hear that Providence Rhode Island is chock full of CDs, but have never been there myself. Houston is GLBTQ-friendly, at least in Montrose. I've not had much trouble here. The Hague, NL is a very tolerant place. I've seen a few TGs on the street, and have gone out as a pedestrian myself once without incident. The informal city motto of Austin TX, "Keep Austin Weird", was coined by a homeless CD mayoral candidate, and worn on many T-shirts. I've gone shopping and dining en femme--never passing because of my handlebar mustache--in Boston and Cambridge MA, riding the subway and visiting coffee shops, stores, malls. London definitely has clubs & shops that specifically cater to TGs & CDs. And of course everyone thinks San Francisco is the GLBTQ capital of the world, but I haven't been there myself.

More accepting than where?

sissystephanie
02-12-2011, 10:03 PM
Lainie gave you some very good ideas! To add to that, I would add Seattle, Portland, Oregon, New York city, and of course San Francisco here in the U.S.A. Other plces besides London might be Aberdeen, Scotland, a number of places in Canada, and some cities in Japan. Until you go out yourself and experience what is offered you will never know what is available. I don't have a handlebar mustache like Lainie, but since my wife died I have gone out many times, in different cities, without a wig or makeup. Just a guy in a skirt!! Never had a problem anywhere!! Travel and explore, you will love it!

Megan_Girl
02-12-2011, 11:05 PM
#1 CD USA vacation destination San Francisco. You can go anywhere and do anything you want to do... and be totally accepted. I go as often as I can.

Hugs

Megan

AllieSF
02-12-2011, 11:33 PM
I second Megan's recommendation, but then I am a bit biased. You can easily live 24/7 as a woman here and have no problems. If you come this way let me know. Oh, I really do like your name!

Roberta Marie
02-13-2011, 12:40 AM
I have two suggestions. First is a small town in the Arkansas Ozarks, Eureka Springs. A very quaint, Victorian town that is very welcoming. Second, this past fall my wife and I took a Dignity cruise. You can read about it in the "Special Events and Occaisions" forum.

docrobbysherry
02-13-2011, 01:12 AM
Think, "Sydney", for one. They have a large GLBT community there. Maybe in other large cities as well?
A number of girls on this site r from Oz.

I've met a number of natives on my drab trips there and they r some of the most open minding, accepting folks in the world. Best NOT to dress in the outback areas, tho, I'd guess!

linda.wai
02-13-2011, 04:46 AM
How about Bangkok, Pattaya or just about any place in Thailand?

brassieres
02-13-2011, 06:56 AM
I hear that Providence Rhode Island is chock full of CDs, but have never been there myself.

Personally I would take caution in Providence. While it could be true that there are CD's there, it is much more a working class type of town and not like Boston is.

brassieres
02-13-2011, 06:56 AM
Personally I would take caution in Providence. While it could be true that there are CD's there, it is much more a working class type of town and not like Boston is.

And besides, there is not a whole lot to do while in Providence anyway.

Wendy_Marie
02-13-2011, 07:00 AM
First is a small town in the Arkansas Ozarks, Eureka Springs. A very quaint, Victorian town that is very welcoming.

I can vouche for this personally...I have been to Eureka prings in both Drab and Fab attire and one hardly gets a passing glance...the town isn't big by any means but go if you wat a place to dress and go out.

LeannL
02-13-2011, 07:50 AM
I hear that Providence Rhode Island is chock full of CDs, but have never been there myself.

Lainie,
While I have been out and about en femme a fair amount of time in Providence RI and the surrounding areas, I would suggest that you probably meant Provincetown Massachusetts. It is the outer tip of Cape Cod and has a large LGBT community. My guess is that the winter population is approaching 50%. It hosts numerous meetings of "alternative lifestyle" groups including Fantasia Fair for CDs/TSs in the fall. For more information check out Wikipedia: Provincetown, Massachusetts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provincetown,_Massachusetts)

Tina B.
02-13-2011, 12:47 PM
Eureka springs, has hosted CD/TS events, and is a very charming little city, they have a great web site, look them up. San Francisco, is a great place, it's the law that business have to treat you as to the gender you are presenting, and most of the population is used to seeing Gays, lesbians and trans people out and about as part of everyday life, so a few tourist in dresses would just fit in.
Tina B.

t-girlxsophie
02-13-2011, 01:35 PM
Speaking from a UK point of view Edinburgh is a fantastic city I have had Many great times their.I also recommend English holiday resorts Blackpool and Brighton,Havent been to London but some of the most famous venues and services in the World are situated their.Old Ibiza town too has a vibrant CD scene

PamelaRI
02-13-2011, 02:04 PM
I have to echo brassieres and LeannL's comments about Providence. I live in Northern RI and wouldn't consider Providence a CD mecca. Despite its history of tolerance dating back to Roger Williams, plus having its first openly gay Mayor just become its first openly gay Congressman and an openly gay Speaker of the House coupled with a very Democrat leaning populace, RI is very steeped in "traditional" values. That's not to say that it is a hostile environment either, but as brassieres indicated Providence is a working class city in a very working class state. There are a few gay clubs in the city and there is one club that occasionally hosts a CD night - I've never been to any of them. If you were to go to Providence with the intention of being en femme, I would stick to the East Side which is more artsy and affluent and avoid downtown unless you are going to one of the clubs.