PDA

View Full Version : Maybe dumb question: want vs need?

Briana90802
02-17-2011, 09:04 PM
Sometime I feel I need to dress to satisfy the "pink fog" as it were. And other times I just feel like I want to dress. I've read where people say that the need to dress is so strong that they take trips and have hotel visits to satisfy the urge.

Which is it for you? Do you dress because you need to or because you want to? Or a combination of both? And why?

Rianna Humble
02-17-2011, 10:03 PM
Before I had fully accepted that I am TS, I definitely dressed out of need. Now I dress for practical reasons - I have no male clothes.

sissystephanie
02-17-2011, 10:05 PM
I dress only because I like to!! I have no desire to be a woman, just like to dress like one. I like the fit, feel, and look of feminine clothing and that is the only reason I wear those things. I do dress at least part of every day, simply because I like to. For many years I have found myself much more comfortable in feminine clothes than in male clothing. My dear late wife preferred me to be enfemme when we were alone, and I still like to do that! In response to Rianna, my feminine wardrobe is far bigger than my male one!!

Cynthia Anne
02-17-2011, 10:18 PM
I dress because that's who I am! So I guess I need to in a sense, but I want to also!?

Rachel Mari
02-17-2011, 10:22 PM
Sometimes the want to dress feels so much like a need that it drives me to depression and can't get it out of my head. I ended up having to do something around the house to distract me.

Other times, it's more for pleasure and not so demanding.

There are times when I can't dress for months, but I've found underdressing helps a great deal and takes the edge off. Gets me through the dry times. To a certain extent. As the time approaches that I know I'll have time, I get very anxious (sp) and a little less patient.

Christy_M
02-17-2011, 10:32 PM
Maslow's Heriarchy of Needs...is it Physiological, security, belonging, esteem or self actualization? That is the $64K question. I am sure the answer here is as diverse as the TG spectrum itself. If I had higher self esteem, it may be physiological for me. I know I don't come out fully due to safety so is it really physiological or just self actualization. This is why I decided to get more "couch" time with a shrink to help me understand me. One size does not fit all and results may vary. E Pluribus Unum...May the force be with you - and also with you. :)

Stephanie Anne
02-17-2011, 10:36 PM
You need to sleep, you want to have sex. The only connection is they often take place in a bed. You never need to crossdress but you want to satisfy a desire. That's the rub.

I needed to stop lying to myself, I wanted to come out. I never had to crossdress to satisfy that.

Charise52
02-17-2011, 11:01 PM
I dress simply because women's clothes fit well, look flatering, and feel good... men's clothes do not... I do love the feel of skirts... and yes I wear them on trips...

amielts
02-17-2011, 11:20 PM
Before I transitioned I did crossdress. It was almost always out of need.

Sophie86
02-17-2011, 11:30 PM
Which is it for you? Do you dress because you need to or because you want to? Or a combination of both? And why?

I dress because I want to.

Pythos
02-18-2011, 12:06 AM
I just like the look and feel of clothing styles that are feminine. I like tight and sleek clothing, or long and flowing. For some reason, these styles are only for women. For some reason the male physique is to be hidden under loose and baggy clothing.

I love the feel of a skirt hem brushing gently against my shin, or upper leg.

docrobbysherry
02-18-2011, 12:21 AM
I DON'T WANT TO!

I HAVE TO! For now.

shayleetv
02-18-2011, 02:11 AM
That is a very difficult question, for me at least. I dress because I want to fulfill that need to have SHAYLEE in my life. Some call it "pink fog" but she is a part of who I really am. Shaylee is a part of everything I do and everything I am. She doesn't stop being a part of me like the clothes she wears when I put them back in the closet. She governs the things I think and the things that I want to be. Don't get me wrong about my male side, it is masculine and dominates the feminine side of me, but she is there non the less. No simple answer from me, I'm to complex.

Ash Leland
02-18-2011, 02:31 AM
I can stand to not do much dressing if my schedule is hectic (like it has been lately) but I always need to set aside some time for Ashleigh, as minimal as it may be in the end. Lately I've been going to sleep partially dressed.

The prospect of stopping entirely is very disturbing...and last fall I cared enough to do it while living in a place where it wasn't exactly welcome...sooo....I think I'd fall on the need side of things. By need I guess I mean emotional need. It's a need I don't entirely understand, but I know it's there.

KrystalA
02-18-2011, 06:10 AM
I do it because I want to. I enjoy the girly feeling of panties and bras and other feminine things. It's not really a need, as I can dress comfortably in drab when necessary and be fine with it.

erickka
02-18-2011, 07:11 AM
I'm one of those who just likes to dress. Many eons ago, it was a need, but after fully accepting this part of myself...... y'all know where I'm going with this.

Wendy_Marie
02-18-2011, 09:53 AM
Briana,
That is so not a dumb question...I believe that I need to dress this way to fulfill a need... Wendy is as much a part of my mentality, my persona as David (My male name) is a part of me.
Some choose to dress to fulfill an overtly sexual need...others need to dress because it is just who they are...the only one who can answer this question for you is in the mirror. Go ask them.

Joanne f
02-18-2011, 02:17 PM
There use to be an overwhelming desire to need to dress as it was a confirmation of who or what i am but now it is more of want to dress with the odd occasion of still needing to .

PretzelGirl
02-18-2011, 03:57 PM
How do you really know? Well, if you can't dress, then you will know. If you get stressed or feel depression or have another side effect, then you needed to. If nothing happens, then you wanted to. But if you get to dress regularly, do you really know?

Rianna Humble
02-18-2011, 05:24 PM
How do you really know? Well, if you can't dress, then you will know. If you get stressed or feel depression or have another side effect, then you needed to. If nothing happens, then you wanted to. But if you get to dress regularly, do you really know?

Good thinking! :thumbsup:

Would you count losing sleep then getting up, washed and clothed at 1 a.m. to buy women's clothes to put on for the walk home as an indicator of need on that scale?

dawnmarrie1961
02-18-2011, 06:45 PM
I dress beccause the only other option is to run around naked. With the exception of a few nude beaches that behavior is frowned upon here. Bummer.

To be truthful I dress the way I do out of necessity in order to stay alive. Besides I don't feel or look right in mens cloths. They all seem so big and bulky.