PDA

View Full Version : Tax Victory For (US) Transgender People Finalized

Leslie Foxx
02-19-2011, 01:44 PM
I received the following in an email from a girlfriend today. As my wife has her GRS surgery scheduled for May, and we put a half deposit down in late 2010, I was wondering if it might be a deduction on our tax returns. As tax time approaches, I thought it may be of interest. The body of the email follows:

Tax Victory For Transgender People Finalized

Early last year, a federal tax court issued a ruling which is a major victory for transgender people. The court ruled that people who undergo sex reassignment surgery may, with certain limitations, claim the cost of the surgery as a tax deductible medical expense on their federal tax return. February 7, 2011 was the deadline for the government to appeal the decision, and it did not do so. So the decision is now final and binding on the federal government. It appears now that others can claim sex reassignment surgery, and hormone therapy, as a deductible medical expense on their federal tax return assuming they have the documents to support their need for them.

The court said that, if a patient is experiencing gender identity disorder (GID), and there is a clear medical record that the surgery is needed to treat that condition, then the costs of the surgery may be deducted as a medical expense on federal income tax return. Anyone who is considering having the surgery, and claiming a tax deduction for it on their federal income tax return, should first consult with their medical provider and with their tax advisor. This decision should not be made lightly.

The court said Gender Identity Disorder (GID) is an actual disease, as defined by the Internal Revenue Code. It also said hormone therapy, and sex reassignment surgery, are valid forms of treatment for that disease, and the costs of such care are deductible under the Internal Revenue Code.

This case began when a transgender person in Massachusetts, Rhiannon O'Donnabhain, underwent sex reassignment surgery in 2001. She then claimed the cost of the procedure as a deductible medical expense on her federal tax return. But the Internal Revenue Service refused to allow the deduction. Ms. O'Donnabhain then went to court to appeal their decision.

The tax court said O'Donnabhain could claim the cost of hormone therapy and of sex reassignment surgery. It did refuse to allow a deduction for the cost of breast enhancement surgery. The court said her breast augmentation surgery was directed at improving her appearance and she had not shown that the surgery either meaningfully promoted the proper function of the body, or a treated a disease, within the meaning of the Internal Revenue Code.

Last year, a contact at the California Franchise Tax Board said California law generally conforms to federal tax law and so, if the tax court decision is finalized, transgender people in California might well be permitted to claim sex reassignment surgery, and hormone therapy, costs as deductible expenses on both their federal and state income tax returns. We do not yet have a final decision from the Franchise Tax Board on the issue. However, we are currently in discussion with them. We will let you know the final outcome on this issue.

People may also be able to submit amended tax returns for prior years. It is possible to submit federal amended tax returns for the past 3 years, and amended California returns for the past 4 years. Thus, if people had their surgery prior to 2010, it might still be possible to claim the cost of the surgery as a medically deductible expense. However, you should consult a tax attorney or other qualified tax expert before trying this.

Similarly, one should not assume that any claim for sex reassignment surgery will be approved by the IRS. To succeed with such a claim, the person must have clear documentation that he or she suffers from Gender Identity Disorder and that the surgery was necessary to the treatment of the disorder. Medical verification of these facts would be necessary.

People may see a copy of the tax court decision by clicking on the following link: <http://www.calcomui.org/images/Major_Tax_Victory_For_Transgender_People.pdf>Final US Tax Court Decision

Jorja
02-19-2011, 04:09 PM
Thanks for this info. Wonder if I can ammend my tax return for 1990? :)

DeeDee1974
02-19-2011, 04:52 PM
Can I deduct my hormones only. Srs is in the way distant future if ever. Unless my wife finds out she can get a tax break for it LOL.

Teri Jean
02-19-2011, 06:38 PM
I have claimed my therapy sessions, hormones, and travel to and from my appointments. This past year has related in an increase in my tax return of $500. It does pay to claim these expenses and with my GRS, this May, it will also be helpful even though the insurance is covering most of the cost. Remember; travel and housing as well as the expenses and medications are on the table.

One other thing to think about is short term disability insurance. I have had this for years through my work and I found out that my time off for my reassignment is covered by this as well as my accumilated sick leave. Therefore the time off from work will be paid for from both or double dipping. By taking this I should be able to return some of the lost funds to my account. Something one may want to look into as you are going to be off up to and maybe longer than two months.

DeeDee1974
02-19-2011, 08:02 PM
Thanks Teri. Such great information of a newbie like me.

lizlizzie
02-22-2011, 01:40 AM
Essentially, yes you can deduct meds, therapy sessions, surgery, hormones, medical mileage. The one thing they have ruled against is breast augmentation. The IRS doesn't consider that a necesessity to treat GID.

Stephanie Anne
02-22-2011, 11:09 AM
Essentially, yes you can deduct meds, therapy sessions, surgery, hormones, medical mileage. The one thing they have ruled against is breast augmentation. The IRS doesn't consider that a necesessity to treat GID.

No reason it should be. That is purely cosmetic and not necessary for gender correction. Now mastectomy for ftm, that's a different story and should be covered. Men do not have D breasts.

Zenith
02-22-2011, 11:57 AM

BA and FFS are not automatically excluded. In the O'Donnabhain case the plaintiff had achieved a normal female breast size with hormones so the further increase was disallowed as cosmetic. In cases of poor breast growth it stands to reason BA is part of GID treatment. The same is true of FFS. GLAAD lawyers mentioned after the trial that FFS would likely be a valid deduction. I would think that a trachea reduction would be allowed as it isn't an enhancement but a removal of a male trait. But with the IRS it's a huge case of contact your tax attourney...

lizlizzie
02-23-2011, 01:25 AM
There are many genetic women whose breast are not proportionate to their body size and type and the IRS does not permit it as a medical deduction.

Zenith
02-23-2011, 01:19 PM
It's not about proportion it's about getting some semblance of a female breast. GGs with mastectomy or birth defects are covered.

lizlizzie
02-24-2011, 10:01 PM
The decision specifically referred to her having attained a B cup on hormones, and if it's to improve appearance and not for the purpose of treating a disease or promoting proper function of the body. Bottom line is really to make sure your doctor's records and notes have the proper information and don't accidentally state something that would negate the purpose vs. the cosmetic aspects. Unless you have had experience of dealing with medical records you have no idea what medical staff puts in there. I have always made it policy to get copies of my records every year due to an incurable chronic illness so that I can make sure my doctor doesn't have anything in my file that will make my life difficult with insurance or the IRS.

Reality is doctors can't keep up on everything. Those who are dealing with GID should give a copy or at least the highlights of the decision to their doctors. Especially when you decide to move forward with such aspects, you should make sure you obtain your records so if ever audited the IRS won't know something you don't and you have time to correct possible problems before they happen. The IRS pays people to sit in civil and criminal court to catch things that might promote an audit. As an example, gambling winnings or lottery winnings that individually don't trigger any report to the IRS but over the course of a marriage added up. A person in a fiduciary position steals from his employer, the IRS audited and taxed it as income. When I lived in the midwest I saw advertisements in the employment section to hire people just for this purpose.

I just firmly believe we all pay too many taxes and if anyone can benefit from another deduction, make sure you get it. According to the experts, high medical deductions are one of the audit triggers.