PDA

View Full Version : Health Insurance after RLE, do you lose it.

BreenaDion
02-21-2011, 04:27 PM
I was mulling this very point over the last session in my support group and especially after my stay in the hospital last week. 15 months on HRT now and filing Bankruptcy to clear my name an court cases against me . Then I would like a Bilaterial Orchietomy as to change my name and my marker on all documents even birth certificate. I was adopted by my mothers husband as a child an now I want all my birth initials back again but first 2 are to be female.

That said an if I do this will I lose my health insurance which I reside in Massachusetts. My wife is the provider of insurance an being a same sex couple will I lose my insurance ? I am not going to call the Insurance company on this cuz I dont want to raise red flags.

Does any know the outcome of this situation?
If I do I will side step the way I change my documents. Better yet have surgery an tell no one and just change my drivers license.
If I do it that way it bothers me a great deal to have to use the M marker on different forms ewwwww or lie an use a F.

Would appreciate any Knoweldge you have in this matter . Thank You
Breena.

Stephanie Anne
02-21-2011, 05:54 PM
What does your or her employer say? New federal regulations make it impossible to be denied health insurance or hit a lifetime cap. You cannot be denied health insurance if your company provides it and you are still employed.

You can't be denied coverage as if you were married prior to gender change on your social security, you are still married and entitled to benefits.

Just talk to your or have your wife talk to her HR department about transgender care.

BreenaDion
02-21-2011, 07:46 PM
My wife was disabled in early 06 from the state of massachusetts, disability/retirement. She gets health Insurance for life. I got disabled towards the end of 06 but I recieve SSDI.
Breena.

CharleneT
02-21-2011, 10:10 PM
You would not in Iowa (my only area of knowledge). It depends a great deal on your provider and the contract though ...

lizlizzie
02-22-2011, 01:48 AM
The Social Security Administration doesn't permit you to change your gender marker. Your SSN and gender marker stay the same, even though your name changes. Most insurance uses your SSN to identify you. My spouse changed her name legally, and the insurance hasn't said anything. We live in AZ but the insurance comes out of IL.

CharleneT
02-22-2011, 08:32 PM
The Social Security Administration doesn't permit you to change your gender marker. Your SSN and gender marker stay the same, even though your name changes. Most insurance uses your SSN to identify you. My spouse changed her name legally, and the insurance hasn't said anything. We live in AZ but the insurance comes out of IL.

Not true, you can change the gender marker on your SS records.

lizlizzie
02-23-2011, 01:22 AM
Charlene:

It's what she was told, so I will tell her to check further. Thanks.

LaurenS.
02-24-2011, 04:38 PM
Breena,
Contact MTPC. Go to www.mptc.org. They should be able to give you some answers.
(Mass Transgender Political Coalition)
Lauren

Breena,
Sorry, you need to capitalize. www.MTPC.org
Lauren

BreenaDion
02-24-2011, 06:43 PM
Thanks Lauren but I cant get ur link to work or type in mine. Oh well got plenty of time thanks. Oops got it thanks to google LOL.
Breena.

Sharon
02-24-2011, 11:21 PM
Try this link:

http://www.masstpc.org/