PDA

View Full Version : Ah haaa! Historical person of note.........anymore?

CaitlynRenee
02-25-2011, 11:10 AM
Charles-Genevieve`-Louis-August-Andre-Timothee` Deon de Beaumont, (later changed to 'La Chevalier d'eon' 1750s. Diplomat, spy and fencer of note. Disguised himself as Mademoiselle Lia de Beaumont. Served as 'lady in waiting' to Czarina Elizabeth in the court of St. Petersburg.

Later, in 'drab' mode, was awarded a commission, in Russia, as lieutenant of dragoons and served in war on the Rhine, bravely, for several months.

See?? We ARE IN 'HIGH' places. What a womanly man. A really great historical read if you get the chance.

Cynthia Anne
02-25-2011, 11:26 AM
I like that! We have been around a long time!!

Roberta Marie
02-25-2011, 11:34 AM
de Beaumont was a very interesting character, and a fascinating story. As a spy en femme, she actually married a government official who was allegidly the source of much of her information. Later in life, she lived out her life as a woman, and throughout her life, her true sex was often in question, even by her superiors, employers, and even lovers. The final question as to her sex was not answered until after her death.

There was even a society of crossdressers names after her, the Beaumont Society.

Marilyn Beck
02-25-2011, 11:34 AM
The word "eonism" (meaning transvestism) was derived from the name of Chevalier d'Eon.

JulieC
02-25-2011, 12:39 PM

If there's a genetic basis in crossdressing, we've been around since the dawn of homo sapiens. Adam secretly craved wearing Eve's fig leaf. Later, after getting thrown out of the Garden of Eden, Adam got thrown into the dog house when Eve came home and found him prancing about in her fig leaf.

docrobbysherry
02-25-2011, 01:03 PM
If there's a genetic basis in crossdressing, we've been around since the dawn of homo sapiens. Adam secretly craved wearing Eve's fig leaf. Later, after getting thrown out of the Garden of Eden, Adam got thrown into the dog house when Eve came home and found him prancing about in her fig leaf.

Actually, that KEPT HAPPENING, Julie! Seems Adam couldn't give up his "hobby".

Eventually, Eve figured out what to do! When she'd catch him, she'd simply say, "I don't give a fig! U keep it! But, that means I need to go shopping!"

And, they lived happily ever after! At least, until she met the "muti talented" snake! (Size DOES MATTER!)

MarciManseau
02-25-2011, 02:22 PM
How about J. Edwina Hoover? He was definitely a CDer

Roberta Marie
02-25-2011, 02:42 PM
How about J. Edwina Hoover? He was definitely a CDer

I think what we need are some positive, historical role models. And while J. Edgar did some great things to modernize law enforcement, he also did some pretty nasty things. But for sure, he did nothing to shine a positive light on transgenders.

Shari
02-26-2011, 06:10 AM
And drag queen spawned from dragoons.

VanessaVW
02-26-2011, 06:15 AM
I think what we need are some positive, historical role models. And while J. Edgar did some great things to modernize law enforcement, he also did some pretty nasty things. But for sure, he did nothing to shine a positive light on transgenders.

Probably like any sample of a group of people, you will find both good and bad. I like to think that we are a more enlightened group of people.

Kate Simmons
02-26-2011, 06:31 AM
An action/adventure person after my own heart methinks.:)

Karren H
02-26-2011, 07:30 AM
I came across a ship log from a British warship and in a performance the mentioned Lt somebody, the to the ships female impersonator and gave her much admiration as to what she performed. I need to find that again and post it.

t-girlxsophie
02-27-2011, 03:47 PM
Bonnie Prince Charlie escaped from the English,Dressed as Flora McDonalds Irish maid," Betty Burke" when they sailed "over the sea to Skye" before he ended up in France,wasn't a CD obviously,but was quite the Dandy,going from portraits of him,pretty cool story nonetheless

Sophie_C
02-27-2011, 06:30 PM

You have no idea how long. Hijras were mentioned in the Kama Sutra, from the 2nd century AD.

Oilpainter35
02-27-2011, 06:44 PM
I have heard that Walt Disney, liked to crossdress. I do not know for a fact that he did, but I have read articles that indicated he did. Anyone know either way....

t-girlxsophie
02-27-2011, 07:30 PM
J Edgar Hoover,Walt Disney and goebbles (sp) all alleged crossdressers.we got off to a bad start with that trio

LitaKelley
02-27-2011, 10:40 PM
King Henry III of France frequently cross dressed and while dressed as a woman was referred to as her majesty by his courtiers. Even his male clothes were considered outrageous despite the flamboyant standards of 16th-century France.

Queen Christina of Sweden (often considered bisexual) abdicated the thrown, dressed in men's clothing and renamed herself Count Dohna.

1676 MTF transsexual Abbe Francois Timoleon de Choisy attended Papal inaugural ball in female dress. His memoirs, published postmortem, offer the first written testimony of cross-dressing.

More at the source for the above: http://www.transgenderzone.com/features/timeline.htm

NathalieX66
02-27-2011, 11:07 PM
Jazz guitarist Django Reinhardt was often seen wearing evening gowns on his own, and wearing red socks....I don't get the correlation with the socks, but he never dressed at any of his shows.

Vickie_CDTV
02-28-2011, 01:54 AM
Virginia Prince named her publishing company after Chevalier D'Eon. There is also a nearby support group, "E.O.N.", named after, or at least inspired by his name.

RachelOKC
02-28-2011, 03:28 AM
The Hoover crossdressing allegations are weak and unsubstantiated. Unlike allegations of his homosexuality, I don't think many historians give them much - if any - credence.

Hermann Göring? (as opposed to Joseph Goebbels) I've heard the claim, but I really doubt the credibility. See: http://zagria.blogspot.com/2009/01/was-hermann-gring-transvestite.html

As to Walt Disney? That's a new one on me.

Ask Kelsey Grammer how these rumors get started. It's easy to make a claim, but claims need to be backed up with evidence.

Christinedreamer
02-28-2011, 08:09 AM
I agree with Rachel. These stories seem to be created long after the death of these individuals in order to further impune them since each had some questionable actions in the public lives. CDing is about the worst thing a "man" can do in the eyes of so many vanilla minded folks.

If such a thing were actually true, there would be no way to contain that information.

As a side note, I met Virginia Prince in Hollywood in 1982 at Uba Anderson's TV boutique. (one of the first such stores after Michael Salem) She made a wonderful appearance even though she had a few years on her. She talked with me for quite a while and it was a honor to chat with her. We all owe her a LOT thanks for her efforts and resilience in the face of overwhelming public scorn for fighting for acceptance of our feminine inner selves.

CaitlynRenee
02-28-2011, 02:17 PM
Now comments such as THESE, do so very much to further our cause/hobby/activities/etc. Every one of the responses here show well informed/thinking individuals commenting with not only a good bit of humor, but also not a small amount of education in history and the subject of Cross Dressing. I cannot thank all of you enough for further educating, entertaining and bringing a smile to my heart and soul.

JulieC, docrobbysherry, I may need surgery to repair the split in my side from all the laughing. HILARIOUS!

Robbi, Thanks for the additional input.

Shari, New input for me. I hadn't heard that before. Makes for a nice giggle.

LitaKelly, Thanks for the link, for those that missed it, http://www.transgenderzone.com/features/timeline.htm

NathalieX66, I'd never heard that about Django. I'll have to read some more.

To all responders, thanks again. Thanks for the smiles and laughter. Let's see where this thread leads us. I'd particularly like to see more links on the subject of CD and transgenderism.

StaceyJane
02-28-2011, 04:44 PM
Chevalier d'Eon is one of my favorite historical people.
As a French diplomat in London she perfected the old dress at home drab at work thing. She lived full time as a woman but would put on her French Army Uniform for official functions. Members of the English court started a betting pool on whether she was a man or woman.
Later on she fell into some trouble with the head of the French delegation in London. she then became the original Wikileaker by releasing secure diplomatic messages from the King of France to the diplomatic delegation.
For that she was accused of treason but she had one ace up her sleave.
She deliberately held plans secret plans she had for a France invasion of Britain. The King knew she had those plans and she got the most for them.
First cleared of all charges
Second a lifetime pension
Third the King officially declared her to be a woman.
Chevalier d'Eon then lived another 35 years full time as a woman. When the French revolution came she moved to England and died in 1810.
After her death a British doctor examined her body and declared her to have a normal male body.

Jeannie
02-28-2011, 04:58 PM
[QUOTE=CaitlynRenee;2420153]Charles-Genevieve`-Louis-August-Andre-Timothee` Deon de Beaumont,

I am glad we don't have to come up with a name like that. I have trouble remembering the name I have now.

Jeannie

EllieOPKS
02-28-2011, 05:07 PM
Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederacy in the civil war, Fled Virginia at the end of the war disguised as a woman. He was caught and "outed" by a yankee soldier. As my granny would say - 'Damn yankees'

Mona
02-28-2011, 06:18 PM
Chevalier d'Eon is also a really good anime about__ Chevalier d'Eon, of course!

CaitlynRenee
02-28-2011, 11:45 PM
Quite the fencer, D'Eon fought a bout in 1787 against a much younger (20 years) opponent, The Chevalier de Saint-Georges. Wearing a "rusty black satin gown and white lace bonnet"......according to D'Eon's biographer. The subsequent score was a complete rout, D'Eon 20 hits to Saint-Georges' 1.

Quite a gal, I'd say. D'Eon is recorded to be fencing into his 70s.

busker
03-01-2011, 01:58 AM
Jazz guitarist Django Reinhardt was often seen wearing evening gowns on his own, and wearing red socks....I don't get the correlation with the socks, but he never dressed at any of his shows.

Maybe it was just a Gypsy thing, and the socks could be "commie red" lol. or he was a Boston fan.:2c: