PDA

View Full Version : Who many of us are approval *****s?

Alisa
02-26-2011, 08:06 AM
"We approval *****s are people who will do anything to get affirmation and acceptance from others. Approval *****s like me tend to think that we're being good (saintly! angelic!) when we let others have their way with us in exchange for a hit of praise. The people in our lives are likely to reinforce our sickness, because we'll do pretty much anything to please them, and what's not to love about that?"

From an artical posted on OWN site. http://www.oprah.com/omagazine/Stop-Seeking-Approval

I like to get affirmation and acceptance from others - it is one of the great things about this site - but I don't think I would do anything for it. I also appreciate constructive criticism.

So even though I love compliments and attention, I say no to approval *****. Attention ***** - may be - could be borderline narcissistic.

msniki48
02-26-2011, 08:24 AM
count me in Alisa....sounds like me to a tee! I've even thought of myself as a [ spelling????] chameleon, matching my mood to the environment my verbalization, and now my gestures.

hmmmmm kind of makes you think.

thank you Alisa

hugs

Madilyn A.
02-26-2011, 08:43 AM
Hi Alisa, That's my wife. Always doing for others, rarely for her, rarely for me. I spend most of my time helping her helping her bite off more than she can chew, so maybe that description includes me as well. Interesting !!

KrystalA
02-26-2011, 09:17 AM
I don't do things for other people's approval, other than maybe a few family memters or my SO. but even then, I do it as much for myself as for them.

Cynthia Anne
02-26-2011, 09:27 AM
I've always been that way! I would rather help someone else even if it means I will have to do with out something I need! I'd rather have that approval and moment of praise!

Karren H
02-26-2011, 09:39 AM
I love helping people. Whether they approve of it or not. Lol.

Kathi Lake
02-26-2011, 09:49 AM
I don't do things for others to gain their approval. I do it for my own pleasure at helping others. It's not totally altruistic, as I do gain some benefit - satisfaction. I usually help from the sidelines, the back of the room, unnoticed. That suits me just fine.

Kathi

teri50
02-26-2011, 10:56 AM
Wow, I never thought much about this, but when I do, I guess I do a lot of things to gain other peoples approval..It means a lot to me to see people happy...Maybe it is time to think more about myself, not a great lot, but at least a little more than what I do now...Thankyou for bringing this topic up...

LilSissyStevie
02-26-2011, 11:10 AM
I'm pretty much the opposite. If too many people like me or agree with me, I figure I'm doing something wrong.

docrobbysherry
02-26-2011, 12:10 PM
"We approval *****s are people who will do anything to get affirmation and acceptance from others. Approval *****s like me tend to think that we're being good (saintly! angelic!) when we let others have their way with us in exchange for a hit of praise. ------------------------------------------------
So even though I love compliments and attention, I say no to approval *****. Attention ***** - may be - could be borderline narcissistic.

Approval "freaks"? Attention "hoe-ers"? I don't see folks of those ilks as being very similar!
But, maybe I'm not understanding the *****'s correctly?

Pythos
02-26-2011, 05:26 PM
This is my take. I will help others as much as I can. I do not do anything for attention, though some of the stuff I wear is attention grabbing. I think the notion that if someone wears something flashy or dressy is trying to attract attention is very limiting. I just like to wear sleek, shiny, and to an extent off the wall stuff. It is fun. If it attracts nice compliments then Bonus for me.

I for one, love to help people. I like to make people feel good. It is like with the GG. What makes me feel good is when she is feeling pleasant or happy due to something I did for her. Every now and then I like attention returned, but I just like to make her happy in ways I can. I am that way about most people though.

I have in the past anomalously sent money, or some kind of help for people, often ones I don't even know. I have had one or two of those very same people knock my looks. It is silly really.

I just like to wear the stuff I do. That's it, that's all.