PDA

View Full Version : Time for some "E"

StaceyJane
02-28-2011, 01:35 PM
This morning I had my second appointment with my doctor concerning HRT. I'm not seeing an Endocrinologist instead my doctor is a family medicine doctor who has a lot of experience working with Trans patients.

The last time I went I had a problem with my BP being too high. My doctor only put me on Spironolactone and wanted to wait a month to see how I'm doing. Well, the month is up. I went to my appointment en femme as usual thinking calming low BP thoughts.

When the nurse took my vitals I saw my BP was 125/70, much better plus I had lost 10 lbs.

Now to see the doc.

First thing I got a quick check up for a bit flu symptoms I had. A quick prescription for cough syrup with codeine for that. mmmmmmm ......codeine........

Next

"Let's talk about hormones"
:)

She then told me that I was ready for estrogen. A quick overview of side effects,
Blood clots, could go to brain, could kill me.......
Okay.

Then she wrote me a prescription for an estrogen patch. :) :)

After that some questions I had about my lab results from last time plus an order for a potassium level and that was it.

CharleneT
02-28-2011, 01:38 PM
WoW ! You must be floating ;)

Gone to the chemist yet ?

Julia_in_Pa
02-28-2011, 01:52 PM
Stacey,

A huge congrat's on the "E"!!

What I've found with alot of doctors whether they are versed in trans issues or not is that they tend to be very very conservitive with dosage levels for what seems to me to be a unneccesary amount of time.

Of course you want to protect your overall health but just like life itself you must sometimes apply risk managment in order to obtain a desired result.
i've been on HRT for a little over a decade now and because of me being a non-op I take a regular preop dose of injectable estrogn, spironolactone and progesterone.
I know I've shortened my life due to the levels I've been taking for such a long period of time but that's life.
I'd rather spend a good twenty years as my true self and then pass on than live until I'm 75 or 80 and regretting not pushing myself hard.
Your on your way and doing great, now don't let up either on yourself or your doctor.

Hugs

Julia

Jessinthesprings
02-28-2011, 07:26 PM
grats. Sorry you had to wait so long, but what's a month when its the rest of your life?

sandra-leigh
02-28-2011, 07:42 PM
"E" is for my envy... No estrogen for me yet, and I had to drop to half the introductory dose of spiro as it affected my blood pressure too much.

renee k
03-01-2011, 12:07 AM
This morning I had my second appointment with my doctor concerning HRT. I'm not seeing an Endocrinologist instead my doctor is a family medicine doctor who has a lot of experience working with Trans patients.

The last time I went I had a problem with my BP being too high. My doctor only put me on Spironolactone and wanted to wait a month to see how I'm doing. Well, the month is up. I went to my appointment en femme as usual thinking calming low BP thoughts.

When the nurse took my vitals I saw my BP was 125/70, much better plus I had lost 10 lbs.

Now to see the doc.

First thing I got a quick check up for a bit flu symptoms I had. A quick prescription for cough syrup with codeine for that. mmmmmmm ......codeine........

Next

"Let's talk about hormones"

She then told me that I was ready for estrogen. A quick overview of side effects,
Blood clots, could go to brain, could kill me.......
Okay.

Then she wrote me a prescription for an estrogen patch. :) :)

After that some questions I had about my lab results from last time plus an order for a potassium level and that was it.

Hi Stacy,

Congrats on getting the E ticket. I'm no doctor but it concerns me and it should concern you that your GP ordered blood work to check your potassium levels. That could indicate kidney problems. My potassium levels were high as well, so please take the the time to research the results and ask questions.

Renee

Rianna Humble
03-01-2011, 12:09 AM
That's great Stacey! :bighug: Not only the E, but 10lbs in 1 month and lower blood pressure, well done you!

sandra-leigh
03-01-2011, 12:54 AM
I'm no doctor but it concerns me and it should concern you that your GP ordered blood work to check your potassium levels. That could indicate kidney problems.

Spiro promotes potassium retention in place of sodium, so blood work to check potassium levels is not uncommon.

When I went in after my first 6 weeks on the intro dose of Spiro, I had low blood pressure and was describing how I was often fairly tired (the first symptom of low blood pressure). The doctor ordered a potassium test upon hearing that, to double-check. Better safe than sorry when getting aclimatized to new drugs.

(I don't think I have over-much potassium in my diet, and I cut down on citrus fruit as the doctor mentioned them as being a source of potassium, but it is not impossible that I need to cut down even more. The drugs affect people differently. Most people would have adapted to the intro Spiro dose in about 3 weeks, but I seem to be more sensitive to it than most people.)

CharleneT
03-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Getting some baseline values is good medicine actually. My doc did, although he ignored T level in that group ( I asked later why, he said "it going to the basement, doesn't matter where it started..."). They need to know where you are normally, in case there is a problem. Gives them a point of reference for how to treat issues.

Potassium is in a lot of foods. Potatoes for example have a high amount. If you are on a med/high dose of Spiro, you're going to have to learn to read labels. Take a gander at the label for V8 juice sometime ... surprised ? I sure was !

One other thing that a fair number of docs miss .... HRT can cause a drop Vit D levels, which can cause tiredness etc. I had that, plus a drop in phosphorus and (B6/B12). Easy to fix, but a little baffling at first.

Here is a link to a decent list of potassium levels in common foods:

http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/food/potassium-foods.htm

Jinny M
03-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Congrats Stacey on the losing 10lbs , the start of the E and the good blood pressure. I hope you fend off the Flu fast.

I'm just starting my transition , My refferal letter is done and I have my 1st appointment on March 16th with the Doctor for my consultation and hopefully setting up a Meds Plan on that day.

Sejd
03-12-2011, 02:58 AM
thanks for posting. I take supplements as a way of dealing with my TG condition. Have you ever researched the native American indians approach to TG ness?
I really have a problem with western medicine way of changing everything because it is possible. I know that I may be very alone on this issue, but if you lived in a society where transgender behavior was appreciated, do you really think you would want to go under the knife to become more female????? In native American cultures, trans gender people were honored as special spiritual beings.Because of this situation there was no need for a gender surgical change. Can you imagine how that would look in our society?I believe very strongly that we in the western world have gone too far in catering to the demands of the times. In short, I believe we are victims of the capitalistic healthcare. There you have it. I know that's a radical way of thinking, but that's the way I feel about this issue. Please take no offense. It's a personal belief. You don't have to think that way or anyone else. It's just my 25 cents. And thanks for your honesty. Hugs Sejd

Kathryn Martin
03-14-2011, 05:25 AM
Hey Stacey:

That is so wonderful. I remember my first E prescription now some 4 and half months ago. So far my only effcts have been feeling happier and growing boobs. I hope you will experience the same, you deserve it so much.

Kathryn

Teri Jean
03-14-2011, 06:42 AM
Congrats Stacey, It will change everything and it is so sweet.

Kaitlyn Michele
03-14-2011, 07:17 AM
the baseline levels are important ...your doctor sounds conservative and that is good from a medical point of view...

i had issues with potassium/sodium at the very beginning of treatment and they just went away...i did crave salt though

StaceyJane
03-14-2011, 08:46 AM
I did some research on my doctor before I went to see her.
Warning Name dropping ahead!
She is a graduate of Harvard Medical School and is a very well respected doctor in the Austin area. Although she is not an endocrinologist she has a lot of experience treating transsexual patients.