PDA

View Full Version : Do you handle stress differently, if you are beginning to accept who you are?

Jay Cee
03-03-2011, 07:23 AM
Since I have been coming to terms with who I am (TG, and maybe TS), I think I have been dealing with stress differently. Example: Whereas before I could maybe make a witty rejoinder (or get mad) at a criticism at work, now I seem to just kind of internalize it. Hell, there's been a few times I get so frustrated by it that I could shed a tear or two. I don't feel that I have the same resilience as I used to. It may be affecting my health, to some extent. I have so much tension in my neck and shoulders that it may be causing headaches and the occasional migraine.

Is this a hormonal thing? A psychological issue? Has this happened to anyone else here, whether or not you are taking hormones (note: I'm not at that stage, yet).

How do you deal with stress differently?

Thanks

Jay Cee

Kate Simmons
03-03-2011, 07:46 AM
To deal with it successfully you need to get in touch with yourself and address the feelings that drive it (CDing), If you are happy with who you are, stress won't be necessary.:)

Jocelyn Quivers
03-03-2011, 08:02 AM
One way accepting this part of me has helped is that in my denial phase on top of all of the daily stress I would experience, there was the additional burden of trying to fight this side of me and constantly wondering "what's wrong with me." Since my self acceptance a major source of stress in my life litterally dispappeared overnight. As for currently handling stress all it takes is for me to change into girl mode, take pics, smile, and all of the stress experienced in male mode disappears.

SuzanneBender
03-03-2011, 08:06 AM
Jay Cee owning up to who we are and all that comes with it is a very stressfu process. However, I do agree with Jocelyn it is not as stressful as denying and hiding who we are. I have finally come to terms with who I am and I accept it both as a burden and a blessing. When the stress and fear become to much to bear I stand back take a deep breath and say the serenity prayer to myself. Its just not for twelve step groups anymore!

I would also suggest exercise and therapy. I always feel better after a good hard workout. It also helps with that girlish figure. Therapy is great because you need the ability to vent and work on yourself.

Hang in there gal. It will all come together.

docrobbysherry
03-03-2011, 11:16 AM
Altho I still experience some guilt from dressing, I believe it removes MUCH MORE stress from my life than it contributes!

danielleb
03-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Previously I was always quick to anger under high stress situations. At work, and even with friends, I was always the guy to not mess with. If you did your job, and didn't get in my way I was fine. I often felt like crying over these situations, but usually I just would end up putting on a display of anger to warn others.
Now accepting that I am TS, I haven't changed much in my reaction, but crying is my go to move.
In either state, I always internalized everything, and still do. I just feel less fear over displaying my true emotions now since I truly no longer care what anyone else thinks.

Eryn
03-03-2011, 11:19 PM
I've experienced less stress since I had "the talk" with my wife. Less frustration over that which in the past I felt I couldn't tell her. Beyond that, I think I'm a bit slower to anger than I used to be, probably because of the lessening of overall stress.