PDA

View Full Version : Complimented on my voice again

Dee Baker
03-04-2011, 06:56 PM
I was at a restaurant for lunch today and the cashier asked me if I sing. I told her “no I really can’t carry a tune” and she said “that’s too bad because you have such a nice deep baritone voice”.
This was about the third time in recent history that I’ve been told this by a GG.

Damn it!

Cynthia Anne
03-04-2011, 07:14 PM
Complements are nice, BUT! I guess you can't have it all! Dang it!

GingerLeigh
03-04-2011, 07:15 PM
Baritone? Oh that's too bad! Good for the big T macho guy, not good for publicly passing I think.

I'm sick with a head cold and was told that I actually sound like a man now. What???? "Well, you've always sounded kind of feminine." This from as co-worker.

Who knew I sounded light in the loafers?

Ginger

JohnH
03-04-2011, 07:19 PM
Dee,

don't feel bad about that - below is a website where there are three women singing Vivaldi
One's an alto, another is a tenor, and the third one is a bass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JPkCfvhuyM&feature=related

Here is another performance where there is a full SATB arrangement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAr-M5i6v08&feature=related

So some genetic women sing tenor and bass. So don't feel bad about your baritone voice!

Johanna

Tina B.
03-05-2011, 12:12 PM
You think you have it bad, I've been singing bass since 7th grade, it got even deeper over the years, but thanks to Bea Arthur, I've never given up hope.
Tina B.

JohnH
03-06-2011, 10:30 PM
Tina,

That sounds like me. I am a basso profundo that can routinely go down to A below the bass staff. Like you, I have been singing bass since 7th grade. However, I do sing, and I can reach F above the bass staff, which is more than sufficient to speak in the female range. My ordinary speaking voice is at about 80 to 100 Hz (E below the bass staff to low Ab in the bass staff). I concentrate on speaking softer and breathier and vary the pitch of my voice rather than to raise the pitch of my speaking voice.

Johanna