PDA

View Full Version : I went to a drag show

silhouette
03-06-2011, 02:02 PM
I went to a drag show

Haydee was way better looking than all of the performers (IMCO)
They had obviously worked on their acts, but I didn't see any sex appeal.

It made me feel like Haydee wouldn't fit in
Still, I wonder how much money they make from the crowd...

teri50
03-06-2011, 02:30 PM
i think it would be very good to go to a drag show...Never been to one...Not sure if it is all about sex though, or is it?...i probably wouldn't fit in either Haydee, but the main thing is you have been there and seen what it is all about, and that is a good thing..And yes, they probably do make quite a bit of money from the crowd, or they wouldn't be able to put the show on...

Haley Heather
03-06-2011, 02:34 PM
I've never been to one either.

Karren H
03-06-2011, 02:46 PM
Most drag queens I've seen aren't trying to "pass" as a women... They are entertainers....

AllieSF
03-06-2011, 02:48 PM
I have been to a few shows at local small bars. From my limited experience, unless it is a big establishment the drag shows are quite amateurish. The emcee probably performs some while the other girls normally lip-sync a song and perform to it (dance), and there may be a few skits. The performers many times are just girls like us that want to show off some and have enough talent, personality and courage to do it, normally for free. I have only seen one real drag show in a small theater in San Francisco years ago. where the performers were drag queens in that true definition, because they were paid to do the shows, sang, lip-synced and performed like professionals with sometimes very extravagant outfits, wigs and makeup. Those shows are a lot more fun and better quality than these smaller local ones at gay/lesbian bars. These shows are not that interesting to me. There is nothing super sexy or directed at sex in them except for exaggerated gestures and a few jokes. Very tame to say the least. Well worth seeing and experiencing at least once.

silhouette
03-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Most drag queens I've seen aren't trying to "pass" as a women... They are entertainers....

Entertainers yes, but sex sells.. or so i thought

I have only seen one real drag show in a small theater in San Francisco years ago. where the performers were drag queens in that true definition, because they were paid to do the shows, sang, lip-synced and performed like professionals with sometimes very extravagant outfits, wigs and makeup. Those shows are a lot more fun and better quality than these smaller local ones at gay/lesbian bars.

Hmm.. yeah no surprise that there is a higher quality in some of the bigger shows.
I could never do any sort of actual singing.. I could pull off some sexy dance moves though ;)

Sophie_C
03-06-2011, 03:13 PM

Exactly. Not much of a fan. Their act is sort of a mockery, not an homage.

Chrissie1_1
03-06-2011, 03:32 PM
There's a great long running show here in the Uk in a town called Blackpool, the show is called 'Funny Girls' and is aimed at a mainstream audience. It is very professionally produced with the 'girls' miming to songs from the musicals in sketches from the same. The bar staff are all cds and I have to say there are some really beautiful people on show. The audience is mixed couples and it is very good entertainment. Blackpool has a very lively gay scene and a visit to Funny Girls would complement a holiday but not 'en femme'.

Kate Simmons
03-06-2011, 06:26 PM
Let's put it this way, you wouldn't be able to live off of the tips. Most do it just for fun which is what it should be.:)

JiveTurkeyOnRye
03-06-2011, 06:58 PM
Entertainers yes, but sex sells.. or so i thought

Sex sells but it isn't the only thing. The purpose of Drag is usually to be over the top and exaggerated, somewhat flamboyant. It's spectacle more than sexual. *Some* drag performers are also sexy but that's not the overall intention. Most drag queens I've talked to only dress up in women's clothing for the actual shows and not other times.

I could never do any sort of actual singing.. I could pull off some sexy dance moves though ;)

I've seen plenty of drag shows with lip synching or just dancing and not singing.

Roberta Marie
03-06-2011, 07:02 PM
The few that I've seen I've found very offensive. I felt as thought they were mocking me, sort of how a minstral show with white guys in black face use to mock blacks. I think they tend to perpetuate the stereo types that many us would like to shed if we are ever going to gain social acceptance.

Jodi
03-06-2011, 07:08 PM
My opinion--if you've seen one drag show, you've seen them all. I don't really care to see any more of them.

Jodi

NathalieX66
03-06-2011, 07:15 PM
Drag is nothing more than performance, for the mere purpose of being entertaining. Sometimes they're over-the-top and even outlandish , playing caricatures of women.

I'm more interested in the existential aspect of female-ness.

CarlaWestin
03-06-2011, 07:38 PM
I've been to two fantastic opposite gender performances. One was Trockadero de Monte Carlo (http://www.trockadero.org/) which was over the top. Men performing traditionally female ballet. The other was Diva's Las Vegas (http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GPCK_enUS407US407&aq=0&oq=divas+las&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=divas+las+vegas) with Frank Marino. Extremely professional and highly entertaining.

Shelby
03-06-2011, 07:49 PM
I participated in one years ago while working on a cruise ship. It was only for the Officers and Staff by the way. Since I had already dressed as a woman sort of in a stage musical, I figured this would be no big deal. I lip-syncd to a song from "The Producers" called "When You Got It, Flaunt It" sung by Ulla, the hot swedish blonde. Well I'm no Ulla. Infact I was introduced as Dolly Parton's beefy stunt double but I brought down the house with that number. The 4 other guys all had unique routines as well. One did a Japanese Artsy thing with help from 2 geisha girls (gg's), another did a typical runway drag act to Diamonds are a Girls Best Friend from Moulin Rouge. The 3rd guy did a big show number with costume changes and 4 gg's as dancers and the 4th guy did some sort of dominatrix techno thing. I was thanked by them all for participating as I was the "Token Straight Guy" as most people figure that only gay guys would perform in drag shows. I had a fun time and would do it again, but there is a big difference to be a Drag Queen and a Crossdresser. Everything about Drag is usually over the top and meant to stand out whereas CDers want to blend in and be just one of the girls. I prefer the later. I have a pic, but I can't post it for some reason. My only options are to include a link, a video or a url. How can I post a pic on here?

silhouette
03-06-2011, 09:11 PM
I see.. i think i have a lot in common with drag in some respects, because I can be a bit outlandish and over the top. My natural inclination would have been to blend in, but when you're 6'9" walking around in heels the only option left to you is to embrace the attention

Kelly DeWinter
03-06-2011, 09:17 PM
where was the show ?

Tina B.
03-06-2011, 10:50 PM
It's funny, I haven't been to a drag show in years, but back in the old days, yes I'm old enough to get away with that line, San Francisco had a club up in north beach, I can't spell and spell check won't help me this time, but it was called Phinocchio, or something close. Very class shows, beautiful girls, came out and some sang, some lip sinked, The hostess, was a large gal, that was the house comic, and introducing the acts, she went for the laughs, the rest where very straight. Tourist used to flock to the place by the bus loads. Those gals did alright, but they where full time professionals. Now to here tell it, they all sound kind of sleazy. To bad, done right it can be very entertaining.
Tina B.

Jenny Wilson
03-06-2011, 10:54 PM
I went to a drag show in Atlanta with a domme friend of mine and the performers were incredible! What curvy bodies, not just hootage but a narrow waist and nice hips. Most women I see couldn't begin to compete with these gurls.

Jenny

divamissz
03-06-2011, 11:59 PM
Drag isn't about looking natural, it's about extremes. And I've found that you'll see better drag shows in larger cities, where there's competition for spots.

Christy_M
03-07-2011, 12:01 AM
I have been to a few shows at local small bars. From my limited experience, unless it is a big establishment the drag shows are quite amateurish. The emcee probably performs some while the other girls normally lip-sync a song and perform to it (dance), and there may be a few skits. The performers many times are just girls like us that want to show off some and have enough talent, personality and courage to do it, normally for free. I have only seen one real drag show in a small theater in San Francisco years ago. where the performers were drag queens in that true definition, because they were paid to do the shows, sang, lip-synced and performed like professionals with sometimes very extravagant outfits, wigs and makeup. Those shows are a lot more fun and better quality than these smaller local ones at gay/lesbian bars. These shows are not that interesting to me. There is nothing super sexy or directed at sex in them except for exaggerated gestures and a few jokes. Very tame to say the least. Well worth seeing and experiencing at least once.

This is how I experienced the two shows I saw last weekend. I think it was all for show and entertainment. I never thought I could relate to any of the girls although some of their make-up looked stunning. Sitting in a bar having drinks and talking with friends is great and this was a very different distraction from the conversations. I doubt I would ever go just for the show but I wouldn't being there on a night when it was going on.

Lorileah
03-07-2011, 12:23 AM

and at least around here you probably need three more jobs just to make ends meet.

Julogden
03-07-2011, 12:36 AM
The Baton Show lounge in Chicago is an exception to the rule in that most of the entertainers there have been either pre-op or non-op TS's who live full time. There have been some real beauties performing there over the years. I used to go there a lot, it was a favorite club of mine back in my going-out days.

Drag shows are typically a bunch of musical numbers with performers usually lip-syncing songs and sometimes some dancing. Back in the '80's when I first started going to the Baton, they had several bigger dance numbers with several performers, and one member was a choreographer, so it was pretty impressive. Over the years, their show became less spectacular, but it was always entertaining. I'd urge you to check out the drag show, you may enjoy it.

Carol

Violetgray
03-07-2011, 12:55 AM
The few that I've seen I've found very offensive. I felt as thought they were mocking me, sort of how a minstral show with white guys in black face use to mock blacks. I think they tend to perpetuate the stereo types that many us would like to shed if we are ever going to gain social acceptance.

So wait, you felt as if drag queens are mocking YOU? This would make a lot more since if you were a GG, but I seriously doubt that drag queens spend thousands of dollars on wigs, gowns, makeup, support garments, and they spend thousands of hours on rehearsals, choreographies, and writing, and CROSSDRESSING just to mock crossdressers.

That would be like me mocking violinists by spending money to pay for violin lessons and then playing goofy songs.

Although drag queens are a bit over the top, I think that you might find them a bit less so compared to vegas showgirls and nightclub cabaret acts.

Christinedreamer
03-07-2011, 01:19 AM
IMO there are 3 basic differences. Drag queens usually waaaaay over painted and use crazy wigs etc for a clownish appearance. Female impersonators try very hard to be dramatic but realistically feminine and then there are the CDers who just want public exposure on stage- aka karaoke.

Just a few short years ago one of the oldest impersonator shows in LA closed down. The Queen Mary in Studio City was operating for 40+ years and was started by the mother of the club's final owner. The QM had some great production numbers that were very imaginative, some spectacular legit style strip tease numbers several sultry torch singers who regularly got the straight guys very hot and bothered and a lot of comedy. Most any night there were Hollywood celebs stopping by and many of the performers have been in major TV shows (no pun intended) and movies.

The shows in Vegas like Frank Marino and Kenny Kerr (now retired) were unbelievable and well worth the ticket price.

If you have never seen a show like this, look for female impersonator shows, not just drag shows. There is a difference.

Chickhe
03-07-2011, 02:10 AM
I saw one with several performers. The best ones had less nonsense, less swearing, less ludeness.... I think anyone can clown around but it takes talent to be entertaining.

silhouette
03-08-2011, 08:34 AM
where was the show ?

Is this post going to get me some enemies? haha. I see you're from my area.
Hopefully these girls weren't friends of anyone here.. not trying to call anyone out I just prefer short skirts, long legs and a lot of cleavage :)

I was intentionally vague about the time and place that the show took place.

Jennie1975
03-08-2011, 11:44 AM
I just h ave to add my thoughts, frankly I am surprised, shocked, and quite disgusted to see such hate and discrimination towards those who chose to perform in drag. If there is any group that should not throw stones it would be those that are already faced with hate, disgust, and discrimination so much so that a very large number will not even leave the closet, tell their SO, or accept themselves. As for those that feel they are being mocked or made fun of, when did you become so important in everybody elses life that that they would notice?

I am of the mind that if I want acceptance I need to accept those that are as different as I.

Those that live in stones should never throw glass houses!

Jennifer