PDA

View Full Version : How to wear a skirt as a guy

skirtguy
09-23-2005, 03:12 AM
Am new to the forum and would like to say that I admire all who are dressing the way they WANT to.

I am hetrosexual, married with kids and love to wear womens clothes. Have worn womens clothes since I was a kid and am upset that our society allows women to wear what they want but restrict men to societal norms.

I love to wear skirts, have several that I wear around the house and am very comfortable in them. My wife and daughter are comfortable seeing me in them, but I want to venture out of the house, as a man wearing a skirt.

Any suggestions? I don't see why a woman can wear slacks, ties, hats or other "masculine" things and other guys can have long hair, earrings and such and wearing a skirt is wrong.

I wore a skirt in public for a brief time last Feb, however it was obviously the wrong time of year and drew attention .... only from women as I could tell.

Appreciate any suggestions from experience about how to experience the freedom to wear a skirt in public as a man.

Thanks,
Skirtman

Lindahexi
09-23-2005, 06:36 AM
Hi Skirtman, here in the Uk it would be perfectly acceptable for a guy to wear a kilt, which is a skirt by another name really. Once people became accustomed to seeing you in the kilts, I think you could gradually extend your wardrobe to more femme skirts without any real problems. My advice would be to stick to fairly simple designs initially, nothing too flashy or overtly obvious.

Good luck,

Linda.

Angela Burke
09-23-2005, 09:44 AM
Hi Skirtman, here in the Uk it would be perfectly acceptable for a guy to wear a kilt, which is a skirt by another name really. Once people became accustomed to seeing you in the kilts, I think you could gradually extend your wardrobe to more femme skirts without any real problems. My advice would be to stick to fairly simple designs initially, nothing too flashy or overtly obvious.

Good luck,

Linda.

Once again, a kilt is not a skirt!

Love Angela XX

Georgette
09-23-2005, 09:48 AM

Love Angela XX
I agree with you but what do you wear under themLOL :rolleyes:

Lisa Golightly
09-23-2005, 09:57 AM

Love Angela XX

I have two kilts... Sold in a women's boutique, they are kilts (although much shorter and sexier than the boys ones) and not skirts. I like to wear them in winter with a black poloneck and opaque tights... cosy. I think one of these femme kilts would be an ideal starter for you ... let the locals get used to something almost but not quite a kilt.

DonnaT
09-23-2005, 10:16 AM
You just put it on and go out.

Sound too simplified? Well, it's actually that easy, if you're not embarassed by it.

One of the girls on this forum does it quite regularly. Everyday (24/7) as a matter of fact, most of the time without wig and makep. And her wife and sons support her.

She has found a freedom that many wish to attain just by being herself, and not hiding behind a wig and makeup.

Marla GG
09-23-2005, 10:43 AM
Hi skirtguy,

I have been out in public with my husband wearing some very feminine things in male mode, but as of yet no skirts. So far the most obvious thing he has worn was a women's twinset and capri pants.

Do you live near a large city? My advice would be to try it there. Choose a skirt of a modest length (no shorter than the ends of your fingertips when your arms are held at your sides) in a neutral color like black, navy, or camel. Then, as DonnaT said, just go out! My prediction is that you will get a few odd looks, but no real trouble from anyone.

Let us know how it goes if you decide to do this!

Angela Burke
09-23-2005, 11:45 AM

Panties of course!

Stop being silly!

Love Angela XX

Lindahexi
09-23-2005, 11:55 AM
Donna, a great reply! Yes I agree with you, confidence is everything.

obsessedwithpantyhose
09-23-2005, 12:03 PM
i wear suntan pantyhose with shorts in public all the time,, i have just started wearing my skirt in place of my shorts and i wear a long t shirt over it so not much of the skirt shows,, i have not been noticed when i do this, so i will be doing it more often,,
being as i hate to shave my face im usualy with a scruffy face and my shaved legs encased in suntan pantyhose and my shorts or skirt,,,
i have yet to be so bold as to wear my coffee color pantyhose with shorts or skirt out in public...

just a basic black skirt with 2 "V" slits at the sides...

sorry i just got up so my brain is still a bit fuzzy :o

Jesse69
09-23-2005, 09:26 PM
I saw a guy in my neighborhood with a beard walk wearing a long skirt and he got laughed at. This was in Wicker Park, Chicago IL.

I think people will laugh at a guy in a skirt.

Rachel Morley
09-23-2005, 10:03 PM
Hi skirtguy,

My wife Marla has said it all, as have others. But I have to tell you you have "hit the nail on the head"....why can't we just wear feminine clothes as a guy?

I know I would love to be able to wear my "en femme clothes" out as a guy with only a little make up and no wig! .... but alas, I can't.

I suggest you follow Donna T's and Marla's advice and just go for it. If it seems too much to walk down the main street.....then have as a stiff drink before the first time you do it!

why can't we just do it?.....it's not fair! :sb: :rant:

Rachel_740
09-24-2005, 01:07 PM
I am hetrosexual, married with kids and love to wear womens clothes. Have worn womens clothes since I was a kid and am upset that our society allows women to wear what they want but restrict men to societal norms.

Any suggestions? I don't see why a woman can wear slacks, ties, hats or other "masculine" things and other guys can have long hair, earrings and such and wearing a skirt is wrong.

As Lindahexi has already said, guys can wear a kilt, which is a form of a skirt, the same as womens slacks are a form of trousers. Earlier this year I was on the underground in London and there was a group of about 6 Scotsmen - all in kilts. Then there was me en-femme, on my way to see my GRS doctor. Nobody took a blind bit of notice of ANY of us.

Note I am making comparisons between a womans skirt and a mans kilt and a pair of womans slacks and a pair of mens trousers. These two items are NOT the same. They are cut differently etc.

Sorry to be on a bit of a downer, but there are so many postings here saying 'women wear mens clothes, why can't men wear womens clothes' that I get a bit fed up reading them. If you want to wear womens clothes then do so - I do (I have nothing else).

Anne

Lauren_T
09-24-2005, 01:43 PM
I saw a guy in my neighborhood with a beard walk wearing a long skirt and he got laughed at. This was in Wicker Park, Chicago IL.

I think people will laugh at a guy in a skirt.Skirt? Curious looks maybe, a little undesired attention from some people - but overt laughter? Not very likely in a halfway civilised place...

Skirt + beard? Yes, people are gonna laugh, just about anywhere.

MichelleGray502
09-24-2005, 02:27 PM
Hello skirtguy : as you problay notice i am skirt lover and wear then a lot, but not as male mode I just couldn't do it and go out. I wear them a lot in 'th house without a wig and makeup and 'me wife is very supportive of me dressing femm but she will not let me go out looking a mess. but it's your choice if you want to go out 'th way you want to and like 'th other girls has said just do it and see what happens.

yes kilts are accepted by 'th public for men wearing them while they are out but what you wear under them, in 'th old scottish days men wore kilts with nothing on underneath and some men still do it that way today. But not me i own a couple of kilts and yes i wear them but (this just me) i wear a nice pair of silk knickers underneath and tights if it's not to hot outside. To there there own skirtguy i wish i could wear what i want outside without make up , and a wig but like some of 'th other girls here i also can not do it outside without looking femm

Good luck and keep us posted on what happens

skirtguy
09-26-2005, 07:38 AM
Many thanks to everyone who has offered advice. I am going to do it, just have to find the right place and time, and skirt. Have a green cotton skirt that has a pleat over the center of each leg and one in the center. At first glance it could go for shorts. Have a denim skirt just above the knee and a shorter khaki skirt. Need to see what shirts blend with them and hang low enough (taking all advice).

Thanks again. If anyone else has more advice, please let me know. Will follow up and let you know how it goes.

skirtguy

DonnaT
09-26-2005, 10:24 AM
Went to a craft show in a town near here. There was one bearded guy there parading around in a skirt. Well, it was kilt actually and he was playing the bagpipes, but my wife asked, "I wonder if he shaves his legs?" We got closer and, yep, he did. :D

obsessedwithpantyhose
09-26-2005, 12:05 PM
for ur first time goin out in public wearing a skirt, do it at ur local wal mart, they dont care who wears what in their stores,unless u work for them

skirtguy
09-26-2005, 05:33 PM
Well,

Took your advice and wore a denim skirt a couple inches above the knee with a long shirt so that only 4-5 inches of the skirt was visible. Had a lot of errands to run today so I put it on and had to drive about an hour across town. The paranoia of someone looking into my car went away about 1/2 way into it, then I realized that I didn't have the gonads to go into a store so I stopped for gas. I pumped my gas while everyone was driving around me and I was there proudly in my skirt. Didn't see anyone notice. I went through a fast food drive through and was a little worried cuz the people in the window sit up higher than the car and naturally look in. I casually put my wallet in my lap and received no adverse reactions or looks. It was pretty exciting. Got going in my car and went to run my errands. Once my heart slowed down, I switched to a pair of shorts to complete my afternoon.

Didn't wear hose with it as I would like to. Am afraid the shinyness (sp?) would catch someones eye and draw attention to the skirt. Maybe in the future.

Babysteps,
Skirtman

Corin
09-26-2005, 07:29 PM
Although a Kilt really isn't a skirt... This is just too damn convinent :) :

www.utilikilts.com:
Utilikilts (http://www.utilikilts.com)

Rachel Morley
09-26-2005, 08:43 PM
Well done skirtguy! I enjoyed reading about your outing "en skirt" :D

I think if it's tastefully done and you pick the right top and shoes so that it looks right, what's the harm in it? How about a nice khaki skort with white tennis shoes and a black t-shirt?

nancy58
09-26-2005, 09:47 PM

Obligatory Scottish reply:
Nothing. It's all in perfect working order!

I'd like to say this was told me by my Scottish ancestors, but I learnt it from another Scotsman instead.

susiej
09-26-2005, 09:48 PM
I've been telling this forum that I have never gone out "dressed", but now that I think of it, I've appeared in public in a kilt a couple of times, as a spectator at the local Scottish Games.

Now, I need to pause and tell you what a Scottsman wears under his kilt -- I'm sure this has appeared elsewhere in this forum dozens of times -- socks!

Wearing no underwear under a kilt is called "going regimental" by Scottish Games folk, and doesn't happen very often, for fear of a gust of wind creating a sexual harrassment incident :) ! When I participated, I wore standard guy's underwear, though no gust of wind ever materialized. Alas, there were no subway gratings, with strong updrafts, in this little town! Ah, Marilyn, where are you when we need you?

Anyway, in my view, wearing a kilt doesn't really "count" as CD-ing, because a kilt is really a very masculine item of clothing. It's really easy to be macho while wearing a kilt. As I walked through the Faire associated with the Games, i tried to feel feminine, forcing myself to realize I was wearing a skirt-like thing, but myself wasn't buying it. Must have been one of my high-testosterone periods ;).

One day during the Games, a two other colleagues and I were walking through the town to find a restaurant for lunch, when a bunch of high school boys came up behind us and started to make smart-ass remarks about "pansies" wearing skirts. All three of us were "armed" with longswords and daggers (not sharp, but they didn't know that). We turned, planted our feet, drew our swords and held them straight up in the air. One of my friends said, "excuse me, gentlemen, I don't believe I heard you properly. Would you like to repeat what you just said?"

They didn't. Ha! Thank you, William Wallace!

So, to summarize: kilts ain't skirts!

Hugs,
Susie

liz lesbow
09-26-2005, 10:04 PM
remember that top of your skirt goes even wlith your belly button. the rest is easy

Marlena Dahlstrom
09-26-2005, 11:17 PM
You go skirtman! :cheer:

As you're discovering, people are surprisingly inattentive.

For what it's worth, I just heard from a friend who's temporarily working in North Carolina and due to travel considerations couldn't really take much along. She spent the weekend driving out to visit the Outer Banks -- wearing denim skirt, a tank top, unisex sandals, some jewelry, women's glasses, her own hair and no make-up. She had no problems at all, although admittedly she's an older Asian, which makes her appearance more gender ambiguous.

But -- and she'll kill me for saying this :hiding: -- in the photo she sent me, she did look more like a guy in skirt. Now it's not totally equivalent because she concluded that because she acted consistent with the visual clues she presented, she was treated as just another female tourist (although she did get stared at once).

However, the key lesson is that if you act like you're doing something perfectly natural, people will tend to react the same way.