PDA

View Full Version : When do CD's become TV's?

PantyhoseTV
03-07-2011, 12:31 PM
Hey girls,

At what point does a CD become a TV? What is that major difference between the two? Just curious about your opinions......

xoxo,
Breanna

Avana
03-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Hey girls,

At what point does a CD become a TV? What is that major difference between the two? Just curious about your opinions......

xoxo,
Breanna

it's the same thing. 'transvestite' is a latinized 'medical' term. (trans = cross, vestis = dress/clothing/garment)

Shelly Preston
03-07-2011, 12:39 PM
You will find those terms are interchangable

trans·ves·tite
   
a person, especially a male, who assumes the dress and manner usually associated with the opposite sex.

cross-dress

to dress in clothing typically worn by members of the opposite sex

I think you may mean Transexual

a person who permanently acts the part of and completely identifies with the opposite sex

a person who has undergone medical and surgical procedures to alter external sexual characteristics to those of the opposite sex

To answer the question

I dont think you become TS you may finally realise you are TS but its not something you really choose

PantyhoseTV
03-07-2011, 12:40 PM
it's the same thing. 'transvestite' is a latinized 'medical' term. (trans = cross, vestis = dress/clothing/garment)

K, Thanks Avana. you are very pretty btw:battingeyelashes:

Karren H
03-07-2011, 12:40 PM

Everybody knows TVs get better reception!!! And crossdressers get none! I totally hate labels!!

Tina B.
03-07-2011, 12:56 PM
TV's put there panties on, right foot first, and CD's do it left foot first I think. When I was young I was a transvestite, then a few years ago someone told me it's bad, so now I'm a CD.
Tina B.

JamieTG
03-07-2011, 12:59 PM
They are the same. Back growing up in the 60's I heard the term transvestite all the time but had never heard the term crossdresser. At some point crossdresser became a new and more PC name for us. Just my opinion.

kimdl93
03-07-2011, 01:26 PM
There's no difference if you're talking about cross dressers and transvestites. But can a CD also be a DVD?

jennifer easton
03-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Why of course Kimdl93 when your cup size turns to a DD your there. Jenni

marcy77
03-07-2011, 01:43 PM
A CrossDresser is someone who dresses in the clothes of the opposite sex.
A Transvestite is someone who crossdresses for sexual gratification.
Therefore, a Transvestite is always a crossdresser but a Crossdresser isn't always a transvestite.

Jennie1975
03-07-2011, 01:44 PM
I think I read it here, the difference between a crossdresser and a transexual is about two yrs.

Jennifer

Kelly DeWinter
03-07-2011, 01:44 PM
Hey girls,

xoxo,
Breanna

when you infuse a CD with plasma, it becomes a Plasma TV

Kelly DeWinter
03-07-2011, 01:45 PM
I think I read it here, the difference between a crossdresser and a transexual is about two yrs.

Jennifer

yikes ! I'm behind schedule !

AnnaCalliope
03-07-2011, 02:33 PM
While the terms are often used interchangeably, Marcy hit the actual definitions right on the nose.

larry
03-07-2011, 02:41 PM
You just crack me up

Everybody knows TVs get better reception!!! And crossdressers get none! I totally hate labels!!

Mandy
03-07-2011, 02:51 PM
Well, this is my view on the subject.

When i first started & just kept myself indoors I classed myself as a crossdresser:D But now I like to go out every now & then, have my legs wax'd wear full makeup & try & look my very best:battingeyelashes: I do now class myself as a Tranny (sounds nicer than transvestite):heehee::heehee:

2SpeedTranny
03-07-2011, 04:00 PM
It changes when you cross the Atlantic.

I think it's a little silly to separate the two terms by motivation... as if there were only two possibilities as to why we do this.

Sophie86
03-07-2011, 04:14 PM
It changes when you cross the Atlantic.

I think it's a little silly to separate the two terms by motivation... as if there were only two possibilities as to why we do this.

Good point. And the sexual/non-sexual division implies a judgment that kind of irks me.

Cassandra Lynn
03-07-2011, 05:02 PM
Therefore, a Transvestite is always a crossdresser but a Crossdresser isn't always a transvestite.

A laughable opinion, sometimes it is best to go with the book definitions as Avana and Shelly pointed out.

Does a CD never sexually gratify?

busker
03-07-2011, 05:11 PM
when they are itching to be seen in the appliance dept.

VanessaVW
03-07-2011, 05:26 PM
when you infuse a CD with plasma, it becomes a Plasma TV Small in stature would be Little CD TV or LCD TV.

Guess I got started in the 8-track tape days.

Ineta
03-07-2011, 05:27 PM
I think that "transvestite" has some psychopathological connotation and, for this reason, is (should be) avoided. English is not my first language, yet, I think the name "crossdresser" is a good and neutral coinage.

Michelle.M
03-07-2011, 05:38 PM
Everybody knows TVs get better reception!!!!

There's a reception? Is there an open bar as well?

Prissy Linda
03-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Hey girls,

xoxo,
Breanna

When you put on Rabbit Ears

suit
03-07-2011, 05:52 PM
crossdresser or trasnvestite the lable is sort of interchagable, generaly a hetro guy that likes the clothes , the difference seems to be one belives they belong in the clothes ,the other loves the clothes..both seem to love the apperence that they present in the clothes I think the point that is not addressed in the lable is do they want to date women ,gurls or men ..the rest is symantics to the uninvolved veiwer .
then their is the horny guy that just ........ never mind.
some times it take a life time to know one self

Kate Simmons
03-07-2011, 06:07 PM
Beats me Hon. Back in the 1960's I was called a TV, now they call us CD's. Flavor of the decade I guess. Personally I think of myself as myself, title optional.:)

Suzette Muguet de Mai
03-07-2011, 06:19 PM
Isn't technology something, one can shapeshift a CD into a TV wow, gosh this world is so amazing.

LitaKelley
03-07-2011, 06:23 PM
As I understand it, TV implies sexual gratification and/or fetish. I myself would not use TV nor CD to "label" my self as I identify as TG although I may actually be TS even though I was initially CD before finding and accepting my self for who I am.

BRANDYJ
03-07-2011, 06:33 PM

OK, so when I put on rabbit ears I become a TV, but I can play a CD without the rabbit ears. And all this time I thought when I put on rabbit ears I become a PBB. (Play Boy Bunny) that could be a TV, TS, CD, GG or a TG. As to what sex? The answer is always YES!
Now aren't ya'll glad I straightened that out?

NicoleScott
03-07-2011, 06:34 PM
They are the same thing. Some (but not all, check it out) medical dictionaries differentiate the two by adding that transvestites do it for emotional or sexual gratification. Emotional is quite a broad term that could mean almost anything. I think the medical and psychological folks wanted to define crossdressing/transvestism in medical terms so they could treat it (and charge for it).

I like those little cakes they sell at bakeries because they taste good. But I eat petit fours for emotional gratification.

Alice Torn
03-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Prissy, if you put rabbit ears on, won't that make you a Bunny?

Dee Baker
03-07-2011, 06:46 PM
They are the same thing (entertainment). There’s always something good to watch on a TV and always something good to listen to on a CD.

kimdl93
03-07-2011, 06:53 PM
Ok, I was a transvestite before I learned the term "Cross dresser". Now, I learned I'm also transgendered. I'm sure I've changed over time, and it seems labels have changed as well.

Fab Karen
03-07-2011, 06:53 PM
But can a CD also be a DVD?
no. You can't put movies on one.

Michelle.M
03-07-2011, 07:26 PM

I thought when you put on rabbit ears you become a Playboy Club bunny.

Kelly DeWinter
03-07-2011, 07:30 PM
I thought when you put on rabbit ears you become a Playboy Club bunny.

Who's clubbing bunnies ? Is'nt that illegal ?

TGMarla
03-07-2011, 08:52 PM
When do CD's become TV's?

Gee......I think it takes a few days! :eek:

:tongueout

docrobbysherry
03-07-2011, 09:09 PM
It's all about being POLITICALLY CORRECT!:brolleyes:

Technically, they mean the same thing! However, here in the old US of A, SOMEONE decided CDs don't have sex and "everyone knows" trannies DO!:eek:

Eventually, many of us will probably be know as CDNS! C D No Sex!:straightface:

CDs that HAVE sex may be called PERVS! Until the pervs object to THAT definition!?:doh:

Jeannie
03-07-2011, 09:19 PM
I know this is most likely wrong but It is my personal view on the subject. I view transvestites as those that dress up in the outlandish outfits and usually have very big hair and lots of glitter and so on. Cross dressers on the other hand seem to be more reserved and tend to try for a more feminine look. Please don't misunderstand me I am not trying put down anyone or make fun of anyone it is just my point of view. I think it is how they view themselves and want present themselves. It is all a personal choice and mine happens to be the more feminine look. Just be what you must be and feel inside.

Jeannie

Sophie86
03-07-2011, 09:19 PM
A gorgeous CD wearing bunny ears... would that be a hot cross-bun?

sissystephanie
03-07-2011, 09:23 PM
I have explained this before on this forum, but I will do it again. And remember, I have been a crossdresser longer than many of you have been alive so I do know what I am talking about.

A CROSSDRESSER wears the clothing of the opposite sex for any number of reasons, which may include sex! I crossdress simply because I like to, nothing more!

A TRANSVESTITE wears the clothing of the opposite sex (usually female) for the purpose of HAVING SEX!! Every Transvestite is a crossdresser, but not every crossdresser is a transvestite. You can check with any reputable Doctor who specializes in gender disorders and they will tell that what I just said is the proper definition. I got that definition from not 1, but 3 different doctors when I was doing some studying on my own!! Like Karren, I hate labels anyway!!

Dee Baker
03-07-2011, 09:27 PM
It's all about being POLITICALLY CORRECT!:brolleyes:

Eventually, many of us will probably be know as CDNS! doh:

Makes me wonder. What about CDRW?

Frédérique
03-07-2011, 09:40 PM
At what point does a CD become a TV?

Technically, they are one and the same. In this country, transvestite seems to be a dirty word, while crossdresser seems more benign. I prefer to be termed a transvestite, simply because it is a more accurate description of what I do. To me, a crossdresser is a casual transvestite, and, since it encompasses a wide range of possible manifestations, it is rightly accepted as the name for this site. Transvestite doesn’t necessarily imply sexual connotations, but I think this is what separates the two terms in some people’s minds, at least on paper. It gets tiresome trying to elucidate the meanings behind different terms, mainly because everyone has a definitive meaning lodged in their minds, and that impediment to freedom is nearly impossible to budge...

Every Transvestite is a crossdresser, but not every crossdresser is a transvestite.

See what I mean? Even though I am a transvestite, I'm here to say that SEX is not my aim, goal, or purpose - try telling that to some people! It can be very frustrating...:sad:

BLUE ORCHID
03-07-2011, 09:57 PM
They are the same. Back growing up in the 60's I heard the term transvestite all the time but had never heard the term crossdresser. At some point crossdresser became a new and more PC name for us. Just my opinion.

I think Jamie nailed it.

Orchid

Maybe TV's Wear Denim And CD's Don't Wear Denim what do you think Karren??

Orchid

Rianna Humble
03-08-2011, 02:05 AM

A laughable opinion,

Tell that to some of the writers of medical dictionaries on your side of the Atlantic - perhaps they will change their minds because you don't like their definition.

Does a CD never sexually gratify?

That is besides the point. I bark occasionally - does that make me a dog?

christinac
03-08-2011, 02:36 AM
I just read somewhere recently that officially the term Transvestite is not used anymore as an official designation. If that is true, then Transvestite is just another slang term and who the H-double knows what the definition may be?

Xandria
03-08-2011, 03:00 AM
I know this is most likely wrong but It is my personal view on the subject. I view transvestites as those that dress up in the outlandish outfits and usually have very big hair and lots of glitter and so on. Cross dressers on the other hand seem to be more reserved and tend to try for a more feminine look. Please don't misunderstand me I am not trying put down anyone or make fun of anyone it is just my point of view. I think it is how they view themselves and want present themselves. It is all a personal choice and mine happens to be the more feminine look. Just be what you must be and feel inside.

Jeannie

the outlandish outfits, you're thinking of a drag queen. And the queens in my town, are very snooty and cliquey

this may help with the definition of the terms CD and TV

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgender

Alicia Ryanne
03-08-2011, 03:43 AM
I feel Im in agreement with many here and probably a few may not like my particalar viewpoint. But here it is anyway....
To me, a Transvestite dresses in more outlandish outfits for purposes of entertainment, possibly sexual, maybe somewhat fetish, but not really to look like an everyday woman you'd see anywhere out and about. The outfits usually are rather skimpy, but not necessarily so over the top you'd automatically think Drag Queen. Maybe a bit generic, but basically like the leading character in Rocky Horror Picture Show. Society does seem to link a sex drive of some sort related to the dressing, but probably just because of pop culture.
Drag Queens are guys that dress as women for show and entertainment, but dress usually quite over the top. Monster size hair, super glitzy makeup and outfits no real women would ever wear. Most are homosexual men that dress this way for stage performances or other reasons and act gurly when in drag, but make little attempt to feminize their voice since its a performance and everyone knows they are guys in dresses.
Crossdressers, to me anyway, want to look like a genetic woman in appearance. Nice clothes, whatever the style, heels or maybe boots/flats and feminine makeup. Crossdessers don't feel like they are a woman inside specifically, but want to feel feminine sometimes(maybe often). They enjoy how they look and appear as a girl and feel the need to dress this way when necessary to allow their feminine side to breath. They are mostly straight guys(or gals) that don't want to change sex physically. Many do try to work on their voices to some extent so if and when they go out en femme, they get seen as real women. Passing may be important to many, but not not all.
An Intense Crossdresser may go to the extreme of taking herbal suppliments or even hormones to try and alter the shape of the body, limit hair growth, or even grow breast to some degree, but still don't want to change sex. This kinda blurs into the next category of transgenderist, but not always. A crossdresser that wants breasts, but does not need to dress as a woman all the time would be an intense crossdresser, but not a transgenderist. feminization of the voice is usually a desire, while also maintaining the old male voice if they go to work in male mode but do everything else en femme.
Transgender is an blanket term that covers all ranges on the spektrum, although a transgenderist would be someone that is a male or female at birth that presents as the opposite gender all the time, but still does not desire to have SRS(sex reassignment surgery). feminization of thev oice is a key component here often times. Passing is a desired outcome of many, but is not a pre-requisite
Finally, TS or Transexual is someone that is born genetically one gender, but ultimately realizes they are the other gender internally. Like a woman trapped in a man's body or vice versa. This is where I classify myself. Transexuals desire to eventually alter their physical gender to match that on the inside, or at least wish they could. Some do, some choose not to for various reasons, but, all feel they are a gender that they weren't born as. If a TS goes down the path of transition, then voice feminization is one of the top priorities as is changing the body physically.
These are my views...Im not trying to tell someone they are wrong and im right...etc. Its just how I see it. I'm not here to have an argument with anyone.

sissystephanie
03-08-2011, 05:14 PM
]See what I mean? Even though I am a transvestite, I'm here to say that SEX is not my aim, goal, or purpose - try telling that to some people! It can be very frustrating...:sad

Frederique, I will have to disagree with you!! You are not a Transvestite, because sex is not your aim, goal, or purpose. The medical definition of a Transvestite is a person who has those goals in mind! That is their primary reason for dressing! But it is not yours, so you are a crossdresser!!

Rianna Humble
03-08-2011, 07:02 PM
The medical definition of a Transvestite

is not universally agreed. Where you live and at a given point in time, it may haver been as you state it. Elsewhere in geographical location and in time the definition can and does differ. For example http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/gender-dysphoria/pages/definition.aspx or http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/transhealth/pages/transoverview.aspx

Avana
03-08-2011, 07:04 PM
the outlandish outfits, you're thinking of a drag queen. And the queens in my town, are very snooty and cliquey

yes, but plenty of TVs also sport outlandish outfits, especially if they are fetish related. think rocky horror picture show.

Jane G
03-08-2011, 07:24 PM
:battingeyelashes:How can all you girls joke about such an important subject. I'll have you know this Big old TV has a CD built in. The two are just inseperable.

Xandria
03-08-2011, 07:41 PM
yes, but plenty of TVs also sport outlandish outfits, especially if they are fetish related. think rocky horror picture show.

ahhh touche!! very true indeed

NicoleScott
03-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Sissystephanie, you are free to call yourself whatever you want, but your advanced age and years of crossdressing does not entitle you to trump what Frederique chooses to call herself. If you want to know the definition of words, go to a dictionary, not a doctor.

sissystephanie
03-08-2011, 09:45 PM
Nicole, I was not trying to trump what Frederique calls herself. I was just pointing out that she does not fit the true definition of a Transvestite. And the word Transvestite was coined by a Doctor, not a dictionary! Dictionarys do have definitions for words, but people with knowledge, such as Doctors, can improve on those definitions.

And Rianna, you probably are right. I live in the U.S.A. and my definitions are from that country. I have no idea what they are in the U.K.

Jeannie
03-08-2011, 10:10 PM

this may help with the definition of the terms CD and TV

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgender

I said I was probably wrong and goes to show that I too have a lot to learn. It really doesn't matter to me in the long run and as I said "be what you must be and feel inside". Thank you Xandria for the link. I appreciate it when someone goes the extra mile to help educate. Let me also mention I don't go out in public dressed so I am living a sheltered life when it comes to this subject and I guess I shouldn't give an opinon on something that I really don't have a clear understandingor knowledge of. I Like your smile too.

xxxooo,

Jeannie

GeorgieMacD
03-09-2011, 02:52 AM
Back in the 60s my mother told me I was a transvestite and explained her views. If she and I had the same conversation today maybe she'd call it crossdressing. My father and my mother's father father were either transvestites or crossdressers so she had seen it all before. I don't think she was trying to apply a label. She was just using the familiar term of that day.

2SpeedTranny
03-09-2011, 03:23 AM
Frederique, I will have to disagree with you!! You are not a Transvestite, because sex is not your aim, goal, or purpose.

Transvestite: "trans" + "vestia." Cross + clothing.

It's that simple. Given that our English language comes from a variety sources -- one of which happens to be Latin--- yeah, sorry, "transvestite" simply means "one who wears clothing of other sex."

That's me.

Yup.

Do I seek out sexual gratification for dressing like a girl?

No.

I seek out sexual gratification because I have a "Y" chromosome. Can't help it. I was born a man.

And here again, I will state: I think it foolish to a) have two separate terms that are b) alleged to have two separate motivations, because that would imply that there are only two possible motivations for an activity that spans eons and multitudes of variations.

Areyan
03-09-2011, 03:54 AM
Do I seek out sexual gratification for dressing like a girl?

No.

I seek out sexual gratification because I have a "Y" chromosome. Can't help it. I was born a man.

brilliantly stated. simple and true.

Megan Thomas
03-09-2011, 05:38 AM
TV, Cd, What about us poor old DVDs'? We always get left out despite being Doubly Versatile Dressers'. ;)

Jorja
03-09-2011, 06:01 AM
LoL, I am so glad I am TS, at least I know what to call myself.

Frédérique
03-09-2011, 06:39 AM
Frederique, I will have to disagree with you!! You are not a Transvestite, because sex is not your aim, goal, or purpose. The medical definition of a Transvestite is a person who has those goals in mind! That is their primary reason for dressing! But it is not yours, so you are a crossdresser!!

I respect your antiquated opinion, Stephanie, but it’s not as cut and dried as you have been led to believe. I recall a similar “discussion” on this very subject we had back in 2009, in which I told you I have heard the exact same description for the word crossdresser, namely the purely sexual connection you are referring to. Yes, I read somewhere that MtF crossdressers are homosexual males who dress as females for their partners – once I became active on this site I read several different “takes” on this issue, to the point where I feel the terms transvestite and crossdresser can have several meanings, according to the decided-upon definition by an individual...

I insist that transvestism is, or can be, as innocent as your idea of crossdressing – why can’t you at least try to see my side of things? Terms and definitions evolve over time, and I feel your personal opinion of the word transvestite is obsolete – I’m here to tell you that transvestites are not necessarily perverted creatures of alternative sexuality, but I don’t expect you to be swayed by anything I have to say...

I sense a certain distaste you have for this implied homosexual connection to crossdressing, and you may be trying to distance yourself from this (in your mind) unfortunate association. That’s too bad, because I represent a non-sexual aspect to crossdressing (or transvestism) that is always overlooked by technical treatises on the subject. I’ve read my share, and I have my own opinions, much like you. I feel that a male who puts on an article of female clothing now and then can rightly be called a crossdresser, while someone who goes “the whole nine yards” may rightly be termed a transvestite, for reasons of clarity. The clothing and presentation adopted by the latter may be for sexual reasons, but not necessarily - who can eliminate the concept that a crossdresser may also be driven by sexual desire or gratification?

I am a transvestite, period, and my feminine attire creates a magical atmosphere that eliminates male characteristics, such as masculinity, sexually-fueled thinking, and stubbornness. I seek to be non-male, and I become yielding, rather than argumentative. Please TRY to understand...
:straightface:

kristinacd55
03-09-2011, 07:47 AM
How about changing the title to "When does a crossdresser become a transgender?" :)

As I understand it, TV implies sexual gratification and/or fetish. I myself would not use TV nor CD to "label" my self as I identify as TG although I may actually be TS even though I was initially CD before finding and accepting my self for who I am.

Exactly....Lita hit the nail on the head....ooh but don't break ur nail doing it!

linda allen
03-09-2011, 08:31 AM
Beats me Hon. Back in the 1960's I was called a TV, now they call us CD's. Flavor of the decade I guess. Personally I think of myself as myself, title optional.:)

Sort of like "colored" to "negro" to "black" to "African American".

Jennifer
For some folks. I've been dressing for perhaps fifty years. While I like to pretend I'm a female from time to time, given the choice of permanently becoming one, I think I would decline.

NicoleScott
03-09-2011, 12:17 PM
How about changing the title to "When does a crossdresser become a transgender?" :)

I guess many people have their own idea of what a crossdresser is, and if that's different from what a transvestite is. Some people think that, regardless of how the dictionary defines it, transvestite is a less desirable thing to be called. I think Frederique was right on when she said that Sissystephanie's intention (of defining terms as she chooses) is to distance herself from the negative connotation many associate with the term "transvestite". Language does change over time. In this modern age, we should use modern terms as found in modern references. And most of them say the terms mean the same thing.

Regarding Kristina's quote, the term "transgender" is a broader term, and includes those who are CD/TV, TS, gay, lesbian, bi, etc. However, here on the forum there are those who want to hijack the term for use as a more specific type of crossdresser: those who dress because they have a femme identity as opposed to those who dress for pleasure. They say "I'm not a crossdresser, I'm transgendered". Again, it seems to be an attempt to separate identity dressers from pleasure dressers by warping definitions.

Why do people have such a problem with those who dress for sex or other pleasure?

Rianna Humble
03-09-2011, 02:52 PM
Nicole, I agree with most of what you say, but just want to pick one nit:

Transgender is separate from Gay, Lesbian and Bi because those are sexual orientations and Transgender is not about sexual attraction. To the extent that your statement is true, then Transgender also includes heterosexuals

CharlieQ
03-09-2011, 05:00 PM
CD, TV, DVD, Y (chromosome) and even Bunny Ears!So many comments here made me giggle as well as took me deep into thought.
I've learned A LOT ... Thank you for all the information!!
I do have a question ... It there a specific term for CD / TV who only prefer same sex relationships? Obviously I know they would be homosexuals, but what about adding CD'ing to the homosexuality?

I hope that's not a stupid question.

NicoleScott
03-09-2011, 06:52 PM
"Transgender is generally used as a catch-all umbrella term for a variety of individuals, behaviors, and groups centered around the full or partial reversal of gender roles."

Rianna, I don't disagree with you. It's the same argument as the crossdresser/transvestite issue: it depends on what a person relies on as a source of authority.

The definition that began this post was from a dictionary, and was followed by: "but there are other definitions" and went on to describe that some use the term to describe only gender behaviors, not sexual. But I have also read sources that use the term to include sexual behavior.

As I said many crossdresser/transvestite discussions ago, I can live with whatever terms we want to use, if others wll also. Maybe we should have a glossary to reference for purposes of discussions on the forum. It ought to make communication better.

Rianna Humble
03-09-2011, 09:07 PM
I have fairly extensive contacts within the LGB part of the LGBT movement. None of my friends in the LGB community see themselves as being Transgender. At a recent LGBT event about "coming out" in the public eye, even the speakers who referred to "LGBT people" also stated that Transgender people currently face the same sort of difficulties that LG & B folk faced 20 years ago, so implicitly although they were embracing trans folk, they did not identify as trans themselves. In fact I was acknowledged to be the only trans person at the event.

busker
03-10-2011, 01:06 AM
I have fairly extensive contacts within the LGB part of the LGBT movement. None of my friends in the LGB community see themselves as being Transgender. At a recent LGBT event about "coming out" in the public eye, even the speakers who referred to "LGBT people" also stated that Transgender people currently face the same sort of difficulties that LG & B folk faced 20 years ago, so implicitly although they were embracing trans folk, they did not identify as trans themselves. In fact I was acknowledged to be the only trans person at the event.
Rianna, I guess that means that you will have a trans mission educating these folks.

Frédérique
03-10-2011, 07:10 AM
Not to beat a dead horse, but I feel like writing…:heehee:

The thing that bothers me is that some people “decide” on a definition for a certain term or word, and then dismiss any other explanation out of hand – it’s frustrating, especially if you’re trying to exchange thoughts with others and learn something. I suppose this is similar to how people will hear or read something voiced by a political candidate, agree with it, then fail to hear anything else the unfortunate individual (or anyone else) has to say. Maybe this is a purely American attribute, but I see a lot of this “holding one’s ground” at all costs. Retreat would be some kind of failure, correct? Why dress as a female and then REMAIN male? I don’t get it…

Obviously, there are many definitions and/or ways of looking at the word transvestite. I believe it had its origins in the theater, way before the current post-Freudian world where nearly everything is seen as a sexual abnormality (and thus a candidate for correction). I submit that something got LOST in the translation, and a perfectly descriptive word has become loathed by the very people who should be embracing it. It happened to me, way back when I first started my crossdressing adventures. I saw myself as a crossdresser at first, but as time went along, and my feminine presentation became more and more elaborate, I reached a point where I KNEW I was a transvestite. Obviously I wondered where I was going, or what I was doing, but I must say that sexual confusion, or an awareness of hitherto unknown sexual urges, never crossed my young mind. Luckily, I didn't have access to the current endless “discussions” about definitions – I simply carried on with the joy of being a transvestite, knowing at all times who I am and what I’m all about. Of course, I embrace alternative lifestyles, so grade me on a curve…

I understand that most people assume transvestites to be abnormalities of human sexuality. I accept that, but it saddens me – clinical or not, this is nothing more than thinly-veiled censure of homosexuality or bisexuality, which, in itself, is another highly bigoted activity. I DON’T understand why my beloved transvestism has to be dragged (pardon the pun) onto the pile of perversion, along with everything else that makes people happy, by the very people who should know better. If you’re going to equate transvestism (and thus alternative sexuality) with perversion, then fail to engage in any meaningful discussion on the issue, I think it’s safe to say there are some closed minds among us…

As I said many crossdresser/transvestite discussions ago, I can live with whatever terms we want to use, if others will also. Maybe we should have a glossary to reference for purposes of discussions on the forum. It ought to make communication better.

Rather than have a glossary for reference, I would encourage everyone to do their own research into the background behind the terms we take for granted, or simply investigate how or why someone chose to believe (or accept) a definition in the first place. There is always another angle to something – all you have to do is be OPEN to that, whatever it may be…

BTW, the other night I watched the Werner Herzog film Fitzcarraldo. Early in the movie, there is an opera starring Enrico Caruso and Sarah Bernhardt. The latter was “played by a transvestite” – those were the exact words of the director during the DVD commentary. Remember that I said “transvestite” had its origins in the theater. At no time during the performance was there any mention, manifestation of, or intent to interject sexuality, nor was the word “sex” uttered during the commentary, even though there was a transvestite basking in the limelight for all to see…
:straightface:

Cassandra Lynn
03-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Frédérique,
Thank you for your enlightening and intelligent posts on this subject matter, and my condolences on the passing of Chester.

Cassie

ericalynncd
03-10-2011, 04:21 PM
when you infuse a CD with plasma, it becomes a Plasma TV

Hahaha. thats funny OMG

t-girlxsophie
03-10-2011, 07:48 PM
funny how a lot of these definitions are electrical items- CD,TV,Tranny (scots slang for radio) maybe It's true its the way we are wired LOL

darla_g
03-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Transvestite just sounds weird in my opinion.

Crossdresser is a more acceptable term at least for me.

NicoleScott
03-10-2011, 07:58 PM
funny how a lot of these definitions are electrical items- CD,TV,Tranny (scots slang for radio) maybe It's true its the way we are wired LOL

If your brother is a crossdresser, is he a transistor?

sterling12
03-10-2011, 10:01 PM
The Obvious Answer is after The Transvestite has pupated, weaved it's cocoon, and weeks later emerges as A Beautiful Crossdresser! Or...you can have one from Column A, or one from Column B.

Actually, for some time The usual term has been TRANSGENDERED. That covers just about everyone and everything that you could possibly imagine.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Barbara Dugan
03-10-2011, 10:48 PM
I was raised on a Latin America country and Transvestite was the term I first heard. I still like the term and I can describe myself like a '' gay transvestite'' but even on those parts of the world I noticed the term is no longer used as it was on the past.

DianeDeBris
03-11-2011, 03:36 AM
[QUOTE=BARBARA_MELENDEZ;2433229]I was raised on a Latin America country and Transvestite was the term I first heard. QUOTE]
Hi -- Barbara's observation captures perfectly the circular nature of much of this discussion, IMHO. I could easily be wrong about this (and please do correct me if I am) but I think the standard dictionary word in Spanish is "Transvestida." This can be rendered perfectly, in English, by either the term "transvestite" or the term "crosssdresser." In all three cases the linguistic roots are exactly the same. Much of the discussion here, and on several other similar threads (including a very funny one happening on this forum right now) come down to the way any one of us has become accustomed to perceiving the coloration of this or that expression. Words come and go, and over time they acquire and lose meanings and shades of meanings. Sometimes a single word can mean both one thing and its exact opposite (my personal favorite: "cleave!"). I'm happy to accept and respect the personal preference of each one of us.
Hugs -- Diane

Rianna Humble
03-11-2011, 03:42 AM
Words come and go,

That reminded me of something a wit once said of the old me (but I'll use my current name and true gender here)

Words may come, and words may go, but Rianna goes on forever!
Followed up with
Someone shut her up, PLEASE!:heehee:

PretzelGirl
03-11-2011, 11:17 AM

Now as a TV, I get a great reception when I show up at Ulta! Could it be the money I spend?

So many words about 4 little letters. I guess so I don't have to figure out which I am, I will go with my own two letters. ME. :heehee:

Michelle.M
03-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Hey girls,

xoxo,
Breanna

Well, let's see ... TV is Transvestite, and like stalactites they grow from the roofs of caves with the points downward. CDs grow from the ground and point up.

Jorja
03-11-2011, 10:33 PM
Well, let's see ... TV is Transvestite, and like stalactites they grow from the roofs of caves with the points downward. CDs grow from the ground and point up.

TV is Transvestite, and like stalactites they grow from the roofs of closets with the points downward. CDs grow from the floor of closets and point up.

Michelle.M
03-11-2011, 11:06 PM
TV is Transvestite, and like stalactites they grow from the roofs of closets with the points downward. CDs grow from the floor of closets and point up.

Oh, that's even better! :)

Rianna Humble
03-12-2011, 02:12 AM

WHose turn is it to pass the screen-wipes?

Helen Grandeis
03-12-2011, 08:51 PM
We are all sexual beings. Sexuality permeates our psyche. Although the manisfestation of our sexuality may change with age, my Great Aunt was quoted as saying - "Its the last part of a man to die!". Therefore, we have a desire to express ourselves with a female appearance and behavior. Let's not over analyze it.