PDA

View Full Version : Updated my theory about my CDing.

Lisa Maren
09-23-2005, 07:23 PM
Hi everyone.

Do any of you have ADD or another learning disability like I do? (I have ADD).

(This got quite long, so please bear with me!)

I was reading an article just now about the differences between boys and girls. One of them is that boys need rules and discipline. They're also attracted to games that have clear rules as well as clear winners and losers. Another is in the way that they best learn right from wrong. Boys learn that better with punishment. Girls evidently learn it better if you have them think about how they would have felt if the offense had been committed against them.

It occurred to me that my ADD (plus my smaller stature, 5'4") would have been quite enough to derail all of that for me, to cause all of the boy-related things I mentioned to be aversive and even scary for me. I didn't know I had ADD until I was a teenager and so I had no extra help with it and I always found it impossible to make teachers and parents -- and even peers -- happy with me. Thus, trying to win a sporting game was impossible because I couldn't compete with the larger, stronger boys around me, plus I probably had difficulty paying attention anyway. lol So I didn't give a rat's @$$ about who won or lost -- if I ever cared to begin with, which I really doubt. The point is that even if I had cared, I would have stopped because there was nothing I could have done about that anyway. I was always afraid of rules and discipline because I could never (remember to) follow the rules and I could not seem to avoid getting in trouble -- just classroom trouble and peer trouble, though, not anything violent or dangerous or illegal.

Imagine, then, what must have happened when I stumbled into the world of girls! My only sister, whom I adore, was born when I was 6 and while I watched her grow up, suddenly one day she was wearing a bra and suddenly another day she was wearing pantyhose. Her clothes were really pretty (and made me jealous). Naturally, I would have observed my parents treating her differently than the boys, being a little easier on her and things like that. There were daytime co-ed summer camps (and later an overnight camp) and intra-school functions like (ballroom) dancing school during my grade school years. Suddenly I would have found myself around all these people (girls) who didn't care who wins or loses and who worry a lot more about each others' feelings than about who wins the game, and who probably hate discipline, too. I would have (Would have?) felt like I belonged for once and could fit in and not be made fun of and they always seemed happy with me. I found people I could identify with, who were like me, or at least far more so than the boys.

Anyway, I believe I now have a ridiculously strong candidate for the possible origin and driving force behind me "synching with" femininity, wanting it within myself, reinforcing it within myself, hearing myself say that I prefer it, and even a damned good explanation for why I would turn to something like that for a release instead of something more boyish! Look at what I was seeking release from! I still believe that part of my femininity is emotional, that I am mostly a feminine person anyway -- I always was the sweet and gentle type. I remember doing things to emulate girls, too, at early ages. One time I saw my neighbor girl chewing on her pony tail and I tried to chew on my hair, too, but of course mine wasn't long enough. Another time I saw a girl toss her hair backward by moving only her head and I tried to do that only to have my father advise me that only girls do that. Another time, I was sitting in the front seat of a car next to a girl somewhere around my age and I had crossed my legs like a girl. I remember her telling me that only girls do that. Boys put on foot on their knee. I think she even showed me. Besides I was playing with mom's pantyhose by three years of age at the latest. I remember when I was 9 or 10, I found a pair of white tights in my sister's room that didn't fit her, but did fit me. (I know because I put them on!)

Anyway, there's also the conflicting messages about masculinity/femininity in me that I received from my domineering mother; most of you probably know all about that. lol If I was physically affectionate with her, she always encouraged and reciprocated that. If I acted up at all like a boy would, she would get annoyed. If I wanted to take a hot bubble bath like her, she would gladly help me with that -- at least as a small boy. The bubble part of the bubble bath approval was dropped later, though. As for my father, he did work a lot of hours as a lawyer, but he was around enough. My father, while masculine, does show some femininity. For instance, he's very emotional at a "tear-jerker" type movie, so here's the implicit message that some femininity is okay even in a boy.

My parents did not encourage my CDing. In fact, they always did their best to discourage it -- but I don't think I was ever actually disciplined for it, just advised against it, rather gently and without any penalty. And of course, in that is yet another conflicting message. They're saying it's not okay, but they're not punishing me for it! (Though in retrospect it's probably a good thing they didn't. It just would have been better if they got me a few things to dress in at home and simply advised me to only do so at home.)

Now we have me not exactly being penalized for femininity, and me embracing femininity as a solution to all of my problems relating to my inability to do things right as a boy. If my theory is correct, then these two things would have been working with each other to encourage me to feminize!

Anyway, I've gone on long enough now! I just wanted to share this line of thinking in case anyone might benefit from it or identify with it.

Thanks for reading!

Hugs,
Lisa

susiej
09-25-2005, 01:10 PM
Lisa,

I often attempt to travel back in time, in my imagination, to the moment I first put on my sister's clothes, and attempt to ask my younger self, why in the dickens are you doing that??? The best answer my younger self can give me is that girls clothes are so nice, and boys' are so boring.

I am not ADD, that I know of, but much of the rest of your narrative is similar to my story. I also matured late, so was always behind the curve sports-wise, and never developed (or actively suppressed) an interest in "winning". Two of my closest grade-school playmates were girls, and we often played non-boyish games. I don't remember often doing dolls, or anything that extreme, but we didn't do a lot of wars, either! We did a lot of "shows", for instance. Played "house", not "doctor" :).

This general subject has been explored a lot in other threads, and other posters have often said, "don't worry, be happy, who cares what 'caused' it?". I heartily agree with the "don't worry, be happy" part, but I think the genesis of a boy's transvestite/transgender tendencies is not only fascinating, but important.

I subscribe to the "genetic-disposition, environmental stimulus" theory. Some of us are somehow wired to be more flexible gender-wise -- not less masculine necessarily, just more able shift back and forth to the feminine. Add to this the impact of other experiential factors as you mentioned, and presto, you have a lucky person who is able to enjoy being a guy sometimes, and a girl others.

Thanks for your thoughtful post.

Hugs,
Susie

Lisa Maren
09-27-2005, 03:23 PM
Hi Susie

Thanks for your reply!

I also subscribe to the "genetic disposition-environmental stimulus" theory and I found quite interesting the theory that (at least some of us) are wired to go back and forth between male and female. That could be true in a lot of cases.

Hugs,
Lisa

JoAnnDallas
09-27-2005, 03:47 PM
For about three months, I could dress up 100% durn the day and in the evening I would switch to ladies slacks and T-Shirt Blouse. No one noticed that I was wearing ladies slacks and blouse. Then the house sold and wife came here, so had to go back to 100% drab. I think for a couple of weeks I went thru withdrawl. It was so bad the first week, that I would sneek my wifes panties and bra into the bathroom, lock the door, take my clothes off, put the panty and bra on, put wash cloths in the bra to fill it out, stand there looking at myself in the mirror and feel how good the panties and bra felt on my skin. Then I would get back dressed in drab, sneek her stuff back into the bedroom.
I think the dressing part of CD'ing is additive. It's not so bad if you do it once in a while, but when you do it almost 24/7 like I was doing, it becomes additive. LOL

JoAnn

Marlena Dahlstrom
09-27-2005, 08:38 PM
I heartily agree with the "don't worry, be happy" part, but I think the genesis of a boy's transvestite/transgender tendencies is not only fascinating, but important.

Agreed. But then my parents nicknamed me "Curious George" as a kid.

Speaking of curiousity, I found this essay (http://jenellerose.com/htmlpostings/darkside/Temperament.htm) about supposedly common CD character traits fit me pretty well.

It doesn't touch on ADD, but at least for me, the author's observation that:

This "temperament matrix," and the CD's perception that having it makes him "different" from others, tends to make the CD more or less an "outsider." ... deep-down he may also feel that his participation [in peer group activities] is "only going through the motions," or an act of "paying lip service" to activities in which he does not really put much any heart. Such a CD may be nominal member of a group, but his membership is superficial. In fact, he does not really accept the group's values or regard them as truly his own."

sounds pretty close to Lisa's feelings about sports and other boys growing up. I felt similiarly although for different reasons -- big but skinny and a bit clumsy with a preference for open-endedness.

Perhaps different paths to a similar feeling?

Mona
09-27-2005, 09:28 PM
I may have had ADD although never diagnosed, my attention was always wandering from boring school subjects and I was known as a daydreamer. I also am small in stature, 5'-6" and 140 lbs. and was always the last one chosen for sports teams in school. I also tend to be sweet and gentle (Isn't it fun living in a culture that regards sweetness and gentleness as weakness?) and of course never got the nice looking girls. I know a big part of the draw to CDing is being able to be attractive and alluring like the girls I used to desire.
Thanks for the insightful thread!
Hugs, Mona

susiej
09-27-2005, 09:56 PM
Darla, that essay describes me perfectly! Has anybody done a poll thread that presents this article, and asks how closely this resembes forum members?

Hugs,
Susie

Zenda
09-27-2005, 10:04 PM
What an insight Lisa. ADD wasn't the known quantity it is now when I was at school, but yes I was a daydreamer. I never liked contact sport, was always the last to be picked for a football team etc, etc. I guess I've always been the 'sensitive' kind of kid, cried a lot when hurt. I spent a large part of my youth trying to look tough enough (but not nasty) so as NOT to get into fights (stupid, it worked, but it wasn't the real me). Like a lot of Gals here, I've been thinking about 'triggers' or other past reasons for being CD and I've come to the realisation that it's not that important. The here and now is what counts. Happiness really is a journey not a destination...All love

emmicd
09-27-2005, 10:08 PM
Interesting theory Lisa! I can relate to you in some ways but feel that the experience of crossdressing for boys arises for various reasons and I'm really not sure why.

No two crossdressers are alike in every way.

All I know is that I started young at age 5 and for me it was exciting to try on girls clothes and just felt right for some reason.

I also was very shy so this was a form of innocent play for me and felt natural. I guess we feel somewhat predisposed.

Emmi

Marlena Dahlstrom
09-28-2005, 01:26 AM
Has anybody done a poll thread that presents this article, and asks how closely this resembes forum members?

Ask and yea shall receive...
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15210

Stephanie Brooks
09-28-2005, 09:06 AM
Hi LIsa!

I've read through the threads you've started. You are a neat person!!!!!!!! I especially enjoyed your "birthday" story in the writers' forum.

Here's a link you might find interesting regarding ADD, programming, et al:

http://www.reciprocality.org/Reciprocality/index.html

This is a zip of the site. The Unix tarball no longer exists, but "unzip" works under Linux/Unix.

http://www.reciprocality.org/Reciprocality/reciprocality.zip

Here's one little jewel from the site, specifically from this page:

http://www.reciprocality.org/Reciprocality/add.html

The ADHD child is neither deficient nor disordered. He (or sometimes she) is actually more aware than those around him. When faced with 100 simple arithmetic examples he looks at what he is doing during the first few, grasps the principle of the algorithm, and can then handle the general case. This comprehension is then a part of him for life. He can see no possible benefit in doing another 90 examples, and repeating behaviours does not seem to be an inherent good. He therefore looks out of the window, where something interesting is happening. His teacher already resents him because of his non-participation in the dopamine economy - he does not co-ritual fix like the "good" children do. However, the teacher is unaware of this subtle aversion conditioning and simply brands him as deficient and unable to perform the task according to the procedure - surely the highest conceivable aspiration for any "normal" child. He is said to be unable to "pay attention". In fact, the zombie-like robotism the teacher calls "attention" is nothing like the true concentration the teacher calls "hyperfocusing". Woe betide the child if he expresses his feelings, since the teacher will then claim that he refuses to "learn", and often eggs on the "good" children to perform contempt/threat displays. The more effort the child makes, the worse the response from teacher. Eventually the distorted perception of the highly ritualised teacher is endorsed by highly ritualised local government officials and healthcare workers, the barrage of hostility becomes quite unbearable for the child, and he develops emotional disturbance. This contrasts with the unaware self-satisfied smugness of others, and he is described as unable to "keep calm".

On gender, we're different. I think the things that help us think better, help us create more, also place us in this somewhat gender-free state. Nature says we still need to reproduce, hence sex and attraction, but it also says we can do more than that.

I think I'll stop here for now.

*BIG WARM HUGGLES* to you Lisa!

cd_isabelle
09-28-2005, 07:01 PM
hello girls,

while i agree with some of the points raised i might be a little bit of an exception to the rule i guess.

growing up i never really had any interest in feminine items, the idea never came to me and i was always a very sporty and competitive kind of boy, played all types of sports and was often one of the best in my school at each sport.

similarly i never really struck up a friendship with any girls at my school, even though there was something like 70 girls in my year and i was at the same school from prep to year 12. it seems odd but i never really had the chance to strike up a good friendship, i had a couple of crushes as most kids do but never went beyond that, i was quite happy to be a boy at a younger age.

at around 16 i started to experiment with feminine attire and while it could not for the life of me understand why i was doing it, it felt good so i continued on and off. i never really got into it too much while i was at school but when i left school and started university, thats when it really started to take off, perhaps because i had the time then as well, but i also started to develop some very good friendships with girls. I often wondered in my head what it was like to wear what the girl next to me was wearing.

anyways i have always been the gentle type i guess, so thats a given, but it wasnt until i left school and developed a number of relationships with girls that it really started to become a part of me, the dressing that is. now i have numerous close girl friends and although they have no idea i dress, i have sort of become one of the girls in that they feel comfortable in discussing anything around me, whether i be clothes, boys, anything at all, and that probably has had something to do with me being attracted to the female persona that i have.

well thats my 2 cents,

kisses,

cd_isabelle

Lisa Maren
09-29-2005, 02:08 AM
Wow, what good replies! Thanks to everyone who posted!

Darla - the good majority of that essay does describe me, as well (other than being workaholic and a couple of other things).

Stephanie - I also think that the difference in our gender and in the way we think enables us to escape the mental confinement that most of society seems trapped in. This, in turn, enables us not only to explore things that most wouldn't touch, but also to understand and enjoy the niceties we find during the course of our exploration.

Big hugs to all!
Lisa