PDA

View Full Version : Pedicures and a change in outlook on life

Anne2345
03-14-2011, 11:33 AM
I know this topic has been hit repeatedly, but I still would like to share my thoughts on something as simple as a pedicure. Three weeks ago I received my first professional pedicure, with polish and all. It was an amazing experience!

I recognize many of you have been receiving pedicures for years, and are completely comfortable doing so. I applaud you all! For me, it was a big deal. I had wanted to take the plunge and get one for years, but was always too scared to do so.

As some of you know, that may have seen my other posts, finally deciding to join this forum was a big step for me. The same with receiving my first pedicure.

Circumstances do not allow me to be open or public about my CDing, and as much as I hate that, I have to accept it. But as I said in my introduction post, I have come to the realization that I need more in my CDing life than just hiding behind closed doors 100% of the time. I am in my early 40s, and am not getting any younger.

More importantly than that (much more importantly, in fact, and that cannot be stated enough), there are persons that I am extremely close to that are currently fighting for their lives. It is very emotionally difficult, but there is hope, and the fight for survival exhibited by them is nothing short of miraculous and utterly courageous. I am truly humbled by them.

In my introductory post, I alluded to the fact that I have recently come to realization that I need to share this side of myself with others. I did not say why in my post, but in a nutshell, this is the reason. The courage I have seen displayed, and the fact that everything can be taken away completely out of the blue, without warning, has had a profound effect on me. I am not the same person I was before, and there are messages from the experience that I have taken note of and heeded.

Coming full circle on this story, one such lesson I learned was that life is too unknown and unpredictable, and within reason, do what you can while you can. Something so simple as getting a professional pedicure may seem like no big deal, but to me, it was huge. A small thing, indeed, in the grand scheme of things, and it is silly to think otherwise, but a major deal to me, the evolution of Anne, and just recognizing and meeting my own personal needs. I also joined this forum as a result of the experience.

And I have done these things because I know now that if I do not, who knows what can happen in the future. I have enough regrets in life as it is (who doesn't?). I do not want this part of me, and not participating and indulging in a reasonable manner, to also be among those other regrets.

So to those of you out there that were like me, and too afraid or nervous to get a pedicure, I say give it a try. It is an amazing experience. I found a wonderful solo nail salon operator, contacted her in advance to make sure she was good with it, and she even went so far as to make sure we were not disturbed by any early arriving clients. I have my next appointment at the end of the week, and I am SO looking forward to it.

Thank you for listening, and I appreciate each and every one of you!

Anne

Stephenie S
03-14-2011, 12:22 PM
I see several men getting pedicures where I get my nails done.

It's fun, and there is no shame in it. Please realize that there is nothing to be "afraid" of when getting a pedicure. You can do this without compromising your "secret".

S

Patrice_CD
03-14-2011, 12:42 PM
Hi Anne,
Thanks for the post as I understand where you are coming. After the past several days events we all need to take a look and reevaluate and enjoy the simple little things in life such as a pedicure. I'm looking forward to my first in the coming weeks.

Marissa
03-14-2011, 01:52 PM
An example of how the littlest of things can have the biggest impact :) So its understandable how you felt..maybe someday I will know that feeling. Its great that you have found a renound sense of self-discovery through the strengths displayed by others. Thank you for sharing your story.

Hugs,
Marissa

Rianna Humble
03-14-2011, 02:00 PM
I recognize many of you have been receiving pedicures for years, and are completely comfortable doing so. I applaud you all! For me, it was a big deal. I had wanted to take the plunge and get one for years, but was always too scared to do so.

As some of you know, that may have seen my other posts, finally deciding to join this forum was a big step for me. The same with receiving my first pedicure.

Hi Anne, even for those of us who have been getting pedicures for a long time, there was still a first time and that was a big deal. I'm glad that you found it an amazing experience. I see you are already hooked, so I'll just say thank you for sharing your thoughts and your experience with us.

Cynthia Anne
03-14-2011, 02:02 PM
Anne, I think you wrote a very nice thread there! And I know where you are coming from! Along with respect, I hope the best for you! Hugs!

Paulette
03-14-2011, 03:10 PM
A pedicure can make you feel so wonderful just knowing that you have pretty toes. Here is a picture of one of my most recent pedicures. I always try and get a flower of some other decoration on the big toes.

EllieOPKS
03-14-2011, 03:59 PM
Anne I can SO relate to what you are saying. I had my first pedicure this past summer. I was nervous as a cat but I just had to see why the girls enjoy it. I have been going regularly ever since (although I still have a little anxiety walking in door). The shop I go to does this incredible massage of your feet and calves as well and you feel very femme when they are done. Congrats on stepping out a little.

stephiny10
03-14-2011, 04:28 PM
Anne,congratulations on your pedicure,but most importantly on the decision to do what something for yourself,I had my first pro predicure about 8 months ago and have had several since,there is nothing as relaxing has the ability to make you feel closer to your feminine side than sitting back and having someone work on your feet,the next thing is to have a predicure/manicure,but I have to know when you got home how long did you prop up your feet and look at your wiggling toes?

Torrey
03-14-2011, 04:30 PM
Anne-

Glad to hear about your adventure!
It is has been suggested that I get a pedi, but I have some nasty toenails that should never be seen in public!

Hugs,
Torrey

sissystephanie
03-14-2011, 04:35 PM
Anne, you wrote a beautiful post to open this thread. I am very glad that you took the time to get a professional pedicure, and that you enjoyed it. I have been getting both pedicures and manicures for many years, and yes I do also enjoy it. A few years ago I switched to a new salon, which is staffed entirely with Vietnamese ladies. I have 2 special ones,one does my toes and the other one does me fingers. My fingers are always painted a pale link, but my toes are always whatever color my pedicure lady picks out for me. Usually a very bright red color! And I do get the full massage you mentioned!! The whole experience is heavenly, and should be experienced by everybody!! BTW, the chairs where I go also give a full back massage if you want it!!

Anne2345
03-14-2011, 05:30 PM
I really appreciate everyone's positive comments and kind words. You all are great! I am definitely in the right forum, with the right people! :)

Rianna Humble - you called it - I'm now addicted to it. Completely and irrevocably.

Paulette - fantatics toes! I love the nail art! Very well done!

Patrice, I could not agree more with you, and you are absolutely correct. This tragedy should have us all thinking about and praying for the safety and well being of all of the victims and their families, and placing things into their proper perspective in life.