PDA

View Full Version : My big shopping adventure

Marlena Dahlstrom
09-24-2005, 12:36 PM
Wanted to share a wonderful day I had Friday shopping en femme. Had a day where work was going to be slow, so I decided to play hooky - the nice thing about being your own boss. Got dressed in a nice chocolate-colored beaded top with three-quarter length sleeves, striped brown pants (yes pants, :eek: the better to blend in) and boots. Slapped on some nice bronze-pink polish at the last moment. Up close it looked messy, but a distance it was probably OK. I was also giving my new Veronica 2 her first road test. I've decided Espy must like big butts (but it was fine after sending it back for some reshaping) and it does balance my broad shoulders nicely.

I was ready to go out when I noticed someone painting the house across the street. Argh! Since my neighbor may have seen me en femme last weekend I didn't want to get spotted again. I could explain one time, but more than once is tough. Fortunately, it turned out to be a workman, so it didn't matter. But I timed my rush out to the car nicely and he didn't see me.

Drove up to San Francisco and pulled into a parking garage near the MAC on Union Street. The parking lot attendant didn't seem to bat an eye (just like others previously). I guess they've seen it all. Walked over to the MAC and got read a few times (mostly by GGs), but it was no big deal - mostly a flicker of their eyes. When I got to MAC I was the only customer there. The make-up artist didn't bat an eye :<3: and sat me down for a make-over.

While she was working on me, I asked if she'd done any other cross-dressers, she been working for MAC so done several, but it turns out they were all gay. She seemed quite surprised when I let her know cross-dressers are typically hetro, so I took the opportunity to do a bit more education about cross-dressing. Ironically enough, she mentioned that she'd once made over her boyfriend, who looked in the mirror, freaked out and made her swear never to tell anyone. Hmm. Methinks he liked it and couldn't deal with it.

While we were chatting, I mentioned that we cross-dressers didn't have the benefit of the years of practice that GGs said and she replied that I'd be surprised how many GGs don't have a clue about make-up. In trying to explain things to her, I mentioned that dressing is sort of akin to GGs getting dressed up for a special occasion, and that I'm sure I'd probably get tired of having to do make-up if I had to do it everyday. The make-up artist grinned and said on her days off she's so sick of make-u that she rarely wears any.

While the make-up artist was off getting something, I complimented another one of the artists on her flamboyantly red hair. She was a bit of character - had a number of tattoos. The makeover was awesome. I don't know that I looked like true GG (especially at 6-feet in heels), but I definitely looked plausible. As I was paying, the second make-up artist came up and introduced herself and wanted to know when I was coming back. I'd forgotten to take photos, so I asked her if she'd do it. She took one, then realized the flash would throw things off, so we went across the street out into the sun. Really sweet.

Thought about going to Macys, but it was really nice out and I was hungry, so I headed over to Pier 39, since I knew that with all the tourists I wouldn't be conspicuous having a late lunch. Walked around first, with sunglasses on, I was rarely read. Ended up getting a sandwich at Boudin's. The guy at the counter clearly read me (with sunglasses off), but tried hard to act cool. While I was eating, a pair of teenage GGs sat down at the table next to me. They couldn't stop sneaking peeks at me, until I caught their eyes and smiled back with that "I know that you know" smile. After that one of the girls was getting something out of her bag and commented about it - probably because she was facing me directly. I replied back that it always seemed like the thing you're looking for is at the bottom. As I was bussing my tray, I saw the camera flash go off behind me. Not sure if they were taking pictures of each other or whether I'll end up in someone's travel album.

Walked back to the garage and got back in the car to go to Macys. As I was paying to exit, the little old lady in the booth got briefly wide-eyed and then smiled. Got over to Union Square and went into Macys. Just ahead of me on the escalator was a butch-ish lesbian, who as it turned out was also headed to the women's department. (We didn't speak, but I ended up following her.) Two gender benders in a row... I didn't seem to elicit much of a reaction from the various GGs shopping there, mostly middle-aged women. Don't know if I passed, or if they just didn't care, since I looked nicely put together

A salesclerk helping another customer backed into me, and said "Excuse me, ma'am." Don't know if she was just being polite, but it was nice to get "ma'am"ed. I was looking at a wonderful black knit top with three-quarter shelves and band of abalone sequins sewn along the V-neck when another rather chatty salesclerk came up to me and introduced herself. She asked if I wanted to try it one, so she set me up with a with fitting room (so that I could browse and come back with other items.) The other women going in and out didn't seem to react. Did some more browsing and spotted an aubergine top with sequins around the neckline. A woman next to me commented that it was a really pretty color. I asked her whether she thought it worked with my skin-tone, and she thought it did, so I ended up getting that too. As I was checking out, the salesclerk was quite chatting, wanting to know how one of the tops fit (since she was thinking about getting it herself) and lamenting how she'd just pigged out on some chocolate cake last night to console herself over putting on some pounds. I cooed in sympathy and mentioned how I was trying to take off some pounds myself. It was the sort of easy conversation I've always envied among women. If she hadn't figured out earlier, in our conversation I'm sure she realized I was drag, but didn't bat an eye and treated me like a lady. :<3:

Walked around the department store for a bit and ended up going out through the cosmetics area on the ground floor. A lot of the counter girls smiled and said hi. One asked if I was having a wonderful day, I said I was. I'm sure they all read me, but they were very sweet all the same.

By this time a I was a dragging a bit (sorry... :cheeky: ), so I went to the café on Union Square. Again, I was treated graciously by the counterman and the barista. While I was waiting for my espresso, the owner came over and introduced himself, saying he hadn't seen me before and wanted to know if I worked nearby.

Next headed over to Lane Bryant. It was over in the Mission and a bit smaller than the ones in my local malls, so I was a little disappointed by the selection - lots of polyester, which I'm trying to avoid. But I did find a cute black top with beading, which will be nice for clubbing. The clerks and the other women were really nice and I chatted with several of them. Again, it was that easy conversation that I've always envied. It wasn't any deeper than a bunch of guys talking about sports, but it was nice not to have that kind of sizing each other up that guys typically do when they first meet. (Maybe GGs do it too, but if so I wasn't picking up on it.)

After that it was time to head home and watch the Cal game on ESPN. I knew I'd get hungry and didn't want to take off my make-up to grab something to eat when I got back, so I walked over to a Jamba Juice to get a smoothie. And hallelujah, they had the restroom I'd needed for awhile. (Unfortunately, neither Pier 39 nor Macys had a single stall "family bathroom" and I wasn't quite brave enough to the regular women's room. (Given the number of tourists, I figured the odds were a lot higher one of the GGs might take offence.) Neither of the two girls working the counter seemed to bat an eye.

It was twilight when I got home and the street was empty, so pulled up into the driveway and quickly got into the house. (I gave my thanks again for the front hedge that screens most of the front yard and the front porch.) Turned on the TV and spend the rest of the evening cheering my team on en femme. Now where's that cheerleader outfit when I need it?

Anyway, sorry to write such a lengthy novel, but wanted to give folks a sense of what it's like to be out and about.

Anne Charlotte
09-24-2005, 12:55 PM
Darla,

Sounds like you had a fab time there......only one criticism though.........where are the pics ?

:o

Lindahexi
09-24-2005, 01:09 PM
Wow Darla what a fabulous day out; I can tell how much you enjoyed it by the wonderfully descriptive text. Shopping is always great fun isn't it?

Hugs,

Linda.

Lauren_T
09-24-2005, 01:15 PM
Most excellent, Darla. Definitely a dream day, at least for some of us, like me!
( ) << insert smilie denoting envy

Billijo49504
09-24-2005, 01:19 PM
WOW, thanks for sharing your adventure. You sure had a busy day, glad you had fun. You did such a good job discribing it, I felt like I was ther with you.

JocelynG
09-24-2005, 03:00 PM
Wow Darla what an adventure. I'm glad you were able to enlighten the MAC Cosmetic girl on some misconceptions about crossdressers.Sounds like you had a fun full day. Thank you for sharing

Rachel Morley
09-24-2005, 03:38 PM
Gosh Darla, what a busy day! I very much enjoyed reading about your outing and I was with you all the way in my mind. You write very well so it's easy to read and visualize it as if I was actually there :)

I have been in similar situations, (as you know) but never on my own without Marla and I never speak (yet) because I don't have the confidence. :(

I especially liked hearing about your MAC make over, and how everyone (especially GGs) seemed so accepting of you as a cd. You said that you got read a few times, but everything was still ok. I think I can learn from you here....I have a little bit of a problem in my mind knowing that people (everyone) knows that I am "a guy wearing girl's clothes". I need to become more confident about myself. I need to understand that as I go out more and more and go to places where I interact with people close up, I AM going to get read. I need to learn that it's totally ok and nothing bad is going to happen.

So in the future, when I am out, if I get read, I'm going to try to think of you and ask myself "what would Darla do in this situation" and act accordingly.

Thanks for posting stuff like this, because as a fledgling "en femme in public cder" I want to read about others outings and compare them against mine and learn from others experiences as well as my own.

DonnaT
09-24-2005, 04:03 PM
Very cool Darla, congratulations.

Marlena Dahlstrom
09-24-2005, 08:28 PM
I need to understand that as I go out more and more and go to places where I interact with people close up, I AM going to get read. I need to learn that it's totally ok and nothing bad is going to happen.

Exactly! More than anything, that's why I posted about it.

Obviously San Francisco is one of the most t-friendly places around, so your mileage may vary. And going out in public is a very personal decision, so I definitely don't think people should pressured to do so if they feel it's not appropriate for their situation.

But for those who've been yearning to go out but haven't, I want to let them know that you don't have to be perfectly passable, just presentable. And if you act like you're doing something natural, you'll put people at ease. (Easier said than done, I know...) But think of it this way, if nothing else, you've given them a little excitement in their day. Sure they probably think I'm a very drab drag queen, but nonetheless they're seeing a guy in a dress so that's some building of tolerance and if it's appropriate I can do a little more education.

Likewise, act like you deserve respect. When I've had people stare, meeting their stare and smiling back at them let's them know they're being rude and usually they'll turn away. (I'm still waiting to use a great line I got from someone else -- walking up to the person and stating: "I can tell you're too shy to ask for my autograph, but I'm happy to sign something for you.")

Obviously, you do need to be careful of your safety -- if someone's mad-dogging you, or following you that's a different story and why I've been meaning to get some pepper-spray. But our fears are more often those of own imagination. As my sig says...

BTW, I'm planning to email all the stores involved and commend them on their staff's professionalism. Hopefully will encourage more of the same and also give a little boost to the individual salespeople I dealt with.

Anne Charlotte, here's one of the photos taken by the MAC make-up artist. I learned my lesson...I should've made use of the ever-present Japanese tourists to take some pictures of me -- plus nothing says "San Francisco vacation" like your photo with a cross-dresser. :D

Phoebe Reece
09-24-2005, 10:08 PM
If it looks like a lady, and it walks like a lady, and it talks like a lady, it must be a lady....???
Well, if you get two out of three, most people will treat you as a lady regardless of what they think your true sex is.

Great account Darla. Some people may think that getting out and about as you did is only possible somewhere like San Francisco. Not true. There are loads of ordinary places in cities and towns all over this country where a crossdresser who is brave enough can venture out and be treated as the lady she wants to be.

Letting the stores management know that their staff are keeping customers happy is a good idea too. Most people only complain when treated badly and rarely think to give credit when treated extra nicely. That could help keep it nice for the next crossdresser out on a shopping adventure.

Keep it up girl!

CharleneCD
09-24-2005, 11:11 PM
I have been told a few times here that I have B**ls to be able to do some of the things I have posteed about. Thing is I have always had Bunny right beside me all the way.
I must admire your courage and ability to be comfortable doing this on your own.

No need to appologize for the length of the post. I enjoyed every word. Sounds like you had a great time.

cosmolovesph
09-25-2005, 10:52 AM
Way to go Darla, Color me GREEN ;) wth envy!

Clare
09-27-2005, 01:43 AM
Wow! I'll say it again - Wow!

Darla, you are an inspiration to all of us!

btw, next time you have a day like that, can you invite me along? :D

Christine

Di
09-27-2005, 07:33 AM
Darla,,,,Good for you girl.!!!!!! Loved reading all about it and your pic was fab.
Heres to many more outings. Hugs Leta

Marlena Dahlstrom
09-27-2005, 11:43 AM
btw, next time you have a day like that, can you invite me along? :D

Sure, just send me a plane ticket, I'd love to visit Oz again. ;)

BTW, I got the following response back from Lane Bryant.

"We are delighted to learn of your experience in our 16th Street, San Francisco, CA store location. As one of the nation’s largest women’s apparel chains, we pride ourselves on providing superior customer service.

Thank you for informing us that associates have gone above and beyond your expectations for a sales associate. Please be assured that your e-mail will be forwarded to the store manager, so that our associates may be commended.

Thank you again for contacting us. We look forward to serving your shopping needs in the future."

It's undoubtedly form-letter response, but still... :)