PDA

View Full Version : Telling Family

Bianca
09-24-2005, 02:09 PM
Anyone got any suggestions for the best way to break the news to my family, starting with Mum ?

Lauren_T
09-24-2005, 02:14 PM
Anyone got any suggestions for the best way to break the news to my family, starting with Mum ?There's a lot of us ready to offer adice, but it would help so much if you gave us some details; what's your relationship with her like? Is she old-fashioned or progressive & liberal? What kind of attitudes does she show for members of minority groups?

Fill in the picture a bit... :)

Bianca
09-24-2005, 02:23 PM
There's a lot of us ready to offer adice, but it would help so much if you gave us some details; what's your relationship with her like? Is she old-fashioned or progressive & liberal? What kind of attitudes does she show for members of minority groups?

Fill in the picture a bit... :)

Were not that close - mainly only see her on holidays and family birthdays etc

I think she is pretty liberal in most ways, certainly she is very anti racism, and I have never heard her make homophobic remarks etc.

I kind of need to get her told soon tho as I still have other family members living and or working near where I live, and I'm in constant dread of being spotted every time I leave the house "dressed" (for want of a better word) which is becoming a very regular occurence.

Thanks for the response :)

Bianca

ah and a topic is a chocolate bar with a hazlenut in every bite ...

DonnaT
09-24-2005, 04:59 PM
You might consider showing her some pictures. Maybe a mix of scenery and of Bianca. She might do like my mom did and ask "Who's she?"

When my mom did that I just said "Oh, that's me." And I kept on going with the pictures. Later I showed her Donna again and asked if she recognized her. She couldn't so I told her. She's had no problem with it.

Of course, my issue was CDing. If your mother knows you dress, and you are talking about transitioning, then a good face-to-face and heart-to-heart is warranted.

Bianca
09-24-2005, 05:05 PM
My mother doesnt know I dress - but I am talking about Transitioning ...

Rachel_740
09-25-2005, 09:23 AM
Anyone got any suggestions for the best way to break the news to my family, starting with Mum ?

Hi Bianca,

I thought long and hard over this one. I told my brother first and he was ok with it, although a bit shocked.

I then caught Mum and told her. By the time I'd told her I was committed to telling Dad because I couldn't leave it to Mum - that wouldn't be fair.

I considered the idea of a letter but that seemed to impersonal. I thought about a phone call, but decided that wasn't really fair either (on Mum or myself, because I couldn't see her reaction and again, she would then sit down and tell Dad herself, so that wouldn't be fair).

I finally decided that the only way for me was to tell Mum and Dad in person.

Anne

Sophie_A
09-26-2005, 03:39 AM
I finally told my mum yesterday, i must thank Karen Fox for all her support with this, as i never imagined i could tell her, and i probably wouldnt have without Karen's help.

It was very strange, its not the easiest conversation in the world to start, but once started it did get a whole bunch better. First thing my mum did was give me a big hug as by now i was crying, but she was completely supportive about it, and her first comment was why hadnt i told her earlier, and she kind of had her suspicions already. The odd thing was we started talking about clothes, and she already knew the kind of things i would be wearing it was quite surreal, but nice.

Im glad i told her, as the world feels so much better today, I hope Bianca you have the same comforting reaction from your mum, and even if you dont you are non longer burdened with a secret.

Khriss
09-26-2005, 04:30 AM
nicely put... Sophie ...allbestwishes...xx"K"