PDA

View Full Version : Need to thin out my stash

danam
03-22-2011, 07:11 PM
I have several items that I don't wear anymore. A few pairs of heels and some accessories. I really should get rid of them. But I also know that there are tons of people out there (i.e. closet CDers) who are desperate for such hand-me-downs. How would you suggest I go about passing on these things to the most appropriate recipient? Or should I just donate to Goodwill and be done with it?

Phoebe P.
03-22-2011, 07:41 PM
You might try the Classified forum.

Stephenie S
03-22-2011, 07:41 PM
Put them in the "For Sale" section. You don't have to ask much more than the cost of shipping, and someone will enjoy them for sure.

Stephie

Michelle Charles
03-22-2011, 07:45 PM
You could also make them available to a sister or two through a local TriEss or other gender groups.
Michelle

darla_g
03-22-2011, 07:53 PM
unless you can do it locally its just not worth paying to send it to someone. if so donate it to Goodwill or SallieAnn that would be fine

Avana
03-22-2011, 07:57 PM
im currently in the process of thinning out my 'stache

Yolanda_Voils
03-22-2011, 11:54 PM
unless you can do it locally its just not worth paying to send it to someone

I beg to differ, do you realize how many Retail Dollars of stuff you can send in a $10 USPS box ?
A box with 5 ea. Dresses, Bras, Skirts would retail for $150 or more

I've traded used computer hardware for years with many claiming the same thing..

If a trade can be made with a closeted sister, I say "Go for It"

christina s
03-22-2011, 11:59 PM
I'll gladly take what you have to offer pm me and we can try to work something out where i could pay for shipping .

Cynthia Anne
03-23-2011, 12:07 AM
George Strait says,;JUST GIVE IT AWAY! And I do too! This forum is a good place to start! Sisters helping sisters is my motto!

Tina B.
03-23-2011, 11:45 AM
It's nice helping a sister, but I get a kick out of letting my wife take the best of my old stuff to a consignment shop, I love going in with wife, and here how great the stuff was, and how fast she sold it all. It's nice to know there is a bunch of women out there that think I have great taste in clothes, and they don't even know it. The rest goes to the Cancer Society, they do good with what they make off that stuff. There are many good ways to get rid of the stuff, just don't toss it in a dumpster and let it go to waste. Even if it becomes d.w.p.c., it will still do someone somewhere some good.
Tina B.

suzy
03-23-2011, 12:39 PM
Good information here..... I have a few things that I need to get rid of too.... but not today.....

Jilmac
03-23-2011, 01:06 PM
Craigslist is a great place to advertise. There is a clothing catagory where you can sell and there's also a free catagory. The best thing about CL is that it's free to everyone. Give it a try.

janet p
03-23-2011, 03:42 PM
I take my old things to a shalter for abused or homeless women,who have been left without anything.

Tina B.
03-24-2011, 10:26 AM
Good choice Janet, I have not found a group like that locally, but I think I will give it another try, when I get my weight down a little more, and ready to replace my wardrobe.
Tina B.

Tia808
03-28-2011, 04:41 AM
Janet, that's a great idea, and one that I wish I had thought of years ago when I got rid of a ton of clothing and accessories. (As Tina hopes to do, I'd dropped a size or two, and wasn't purging). Many of the needy women here who could use nicer clothing for job interviews, etc., are in the size range of the stuff I gave away. Instead, though, I spent $60 mailing three boxes out to a girl who was just starting out...and barely got so much as a thank you; I don't know if she would have even acknowledged receipt if I hadn't e-mailed a week later to make sure that the boxes had been delievered. I thought I'd conquered that hurt and bitterness long ago, but oops, a slight relapse :) Still, knowing what it's like for some of our closeted and/or newbie sisters, I think it's wonderful to give them a hand (or a hand-me-down, as the case may be) whenever we can.