PDA

View Full Version : "I thought you were a girl."

Magickman
03-23-2011, 11:38 AM
I had barely walked in the door, at a singles dance party. My coat and outside shoes were still on.

A woman approached me, and without so much as a hello, she got right in my face, "I thought you were a girl."

"You got that wrong," I replied. "I'm just a guy in a skirt."

Now, you folks decide. I recently had a much shorter haircut. I was wearing a leather jacket, a short denim mini, and black tights. Nice manicure with sparkle. Silver hoop earrings.

Was I provoking the gender police? Was anyone really confused about my identity? Or was she just looking for trouble?

I danced with this woman, bot only once. Then some other women wanted to dance, so I was occupied for the evening.

Pythos
03-23-2011, 11:50 AM
This goes along the vein of the styles of clothing.

She thought you were a girl based on the skirt and tights.

Actually get a pic of yourself in the outfit, cause descriptions can often fall short.

Debra Russell
03-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Of course if at first we all look for that initial impression --- click, click whirr whirr mind on alert. hoop earings, leggings, hair make up --- yes we all will compute = female untill further inspection = doesn't mean rejection, disapproval or condemation, Oh look at you -- nice to see a verience of the norm

suzy
03-23-2011, 12:54 PM
Why worry about it? Obviously you look wonderful as you are.... take life as it comes and make the most of it. I would kill to be mistaken for a GG, but even if I never am, I am secure enough in my self to enjoy what I have to offer and live life for me!

tiffanyjo89
03-23-2011, 12:59 PM
Debra, was that just a Knight Rider reference?

But yeah, she saw your clothes, and judged from a distance (in what I think would have been a moderately lit room at best) that you were a somewhat androgynous woman. It wasn't until she got closer and realized that you were really a man that she had reason to say anything. I take it she took you not being a woman well.

kimdl93
03-23-2011, 01:23 PM
I guess from behind, I might have taken you for a girl, regardless of the hair cut. Lots of women have very short haircuts. In combinantion with the silver hoops, skirt, tights...I'd say girl. Sounds like an interesting singles group!

AnnaCalliope
03-23-2011, 02:11 PM
There are certain physical aspects people see as naturally feminine -- hair length, apparel, jewelry etc. When I used to work in retail, I got called miss and ma'am A LOT. I was making no effort whatsoever to appear female, wearing plain blue jeans, a solid color t-shirt and sneakers. I often wore my hair down and shaved every morning, so from behind most people just assumed I was a girl.

Julogden
03-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Since most people who dress as you describe identify as woman/girl, so it's not surprising that she assumed that you were a girl. I don't see how her behavior could be seen as looking for trouble.

Carol

Vickie_CDTV
03-23-2011, 02:47 PM
Regardless of what she though you were, getting up in your face like that without so much as a 'hello' shows she had a bad attitude to begin with.

Melinda G
03-23-2011, 10:25 PM
We used to have a CD come to our singles dance regularly. Nobody bothered her. She actually looked pretty good, except for the Alice Cooper eyes. Some of the guys knew she was a CD, and would dare each other to dance with her. Sometimes she would just dance by herself. One night, one guy who didn't know she was a CD asked her to dance. About half way through the song, he walked off the dance floor with a red face. The other guys never let him live it down. I also overheard some of the women talking about "that man dressed as a woman".