PDA

View Full Version : Fingernail polish and the library.

Kelly DeWinter
03-23-2011, 03:12 PM
Ok, so whats wrong with being at the library in drab with bright red fingernail polish ? I've been here once a week with one color or another for the past 2 years and no one has had a problem until today ! (I teach free classes on budgeting) What gives ? Another patron (female - 30's) thought it was 'disruptive' and 'inappropriate' to a library class. I then gave her a list of 'disruptive' events.

Earthquake Japan
Tsunami Japan
Earthquake Jamacia
War Libya
Civil War Africa
AIDS World Over
Hunger World over.

I then told her her comments were 'inappropriate' . At which point she got up and left.

Kelly

P.S. I marked her absent for the class. LOL

kimdl93
03-23-2011, 03:14 PM
other than her remark, I fail to see that anything disruptive had occurred. Perhaps she found it distracting, but that was her problem, not yours.

suzy
03-23-2011, 03:15 PM
You go Kelly! I'm a teacher also and I applaud your style.... What's up with people these days anyway??

donnatracey
03-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Kelly, hopefully it will be at least another 2 years before it happens again. I think you handled the situation rather skillfully......:)

Julogden
03-23-2011, 03:29 PM
Nice job, Kelly! You handled it appropriately, IMO.

The nerve of some people! She's there for a free class and thinks it's alright to judge you when you're educating her for free? I guess she got a different sort of education than she'd planned on getting. :clap:

Carol

Bootsiegalore
03-23-2011, 03:40 PM
Maybe she was a part of that "Moral Majority" that knows what is best for everyone! HA! ............ Sarcasm intended!

Christie ann
03-23-2011, 03:53 PM
To use that tired cliche

You Go Girl

Alice B
03-23-2011, 03:54 PM
Good for you. She is someone you don't need in your class and she is very narrow minded.

sissystephanie
03-23-2011, 04:54 PM
She may have been at the class, but her mind was definitely absent!! You handled it very well, Kelly!

Ediosa
03-23-2011, 04:58 PM
:^5::lol:
That was awesome!!!

Eryn
03-23-2011, 05:08 PM
I can just hear the conversation if she decides to complain to library management:

"The teacher was wearing nail polish!"

"[pause] So?"

"It was disruptive!"

"[pause] umm, how can nail polish be disruptive?"

"The teacher was a man!"

"You're kidding, he's one of our best volunteers..."

If only we all were as "disruptive" as you, Kelly! :)

Violetgray
03-23-2011, 05:15 PM
Just curious, which library? I work at the one downtown...

Cynthia Anne
03-23-2011, 06:25 PM
SHE was jealous! Your hands were so much pertteir and cleaner then hers! GEE I would complain too! ha, ha!

Kelly DeWinter
03-23-2011, 06:45 PM
Just curious, which library? I work at the one downtown...

Not downtown, I'd rather not say which one [ in CC, south of 26 and west of 32 next to the BofA, hint hint hint] I can just see this splashed all over the Baltimore Sun, Although it might help with filling the class, I have 10-12 for each class and can eaisly fit 6-8 more.

xpshooter
03-23-2011, 07:23 PM
Kelly, I also think you handled it good.

This reminds me about a class I took when the professor mentioned how one student mentioned to her that he was distracted by her open toed shoes. After that she never wore open toed shoes to class. Yes I would admit I would have been distracted by her open toed shoes, but no more than what kind of dress/skirt, blouse, nairpolish....

giuseppina
03-23-2011, 08:36 PM
Hello Kelly

Nicely handled. What a twit!

Some people have an inflated sense of self-importance :rolleyes: .

Phoebe P.
03-23-2011, 08:41 PM
Nicely handled. What a twit!

I think you misspelled a word there. You hit "I" instead of "A"! :D

Starr
03-23-2011, 09:21 PM
Wait a Min... when was the Earthquake Jamacia ?? Did i miss that?

Phoebe P.
03-23-2011, 09:24 PM
Haiti, but point was made.

sabrinaedwards
03-23-2011, 10:52 PM
Kelly, since you wear nail polish why not finish the transition? I know several pople that only partialy dress. I think that in for a dime, in for a dollar. Finish the process.

Jamie001
03-23-2011, 10:58 PM
Kelly, since you wear nail polish why not finish the transition? I know several pople that only partialy dress. I think that in for a dime, in for a dollar. Finish the process.

No. That is not true!! There are a lot of folks like myself that are gender queer and we wear feminine items while in male or androgenous mode. That is who we are and we have no desire to transition. I also wear bright red nail polish in male mode.

Regards,

Jamie

Kelly DeWinter
03-24-2011, 07:50 AM
No. That is not true!! There are a lot of folks like myself that are gender queer and we wear feminine items while in male or androgenous mode. That is who we are and we have no desire to transition. I also wear bright red nail polish in male mode.

Regards,

Jamie

'genderqueer' ? thats new to me, I'm collecting lables lately. Thanks :)

Kelly DeWinter
03-24-2011, 07:52 AM

:0 So you think wearing fingernail polish is a reason to transition ?

Amy Lynn3
03-24-2011, 08:54 AM
Kelly, sounds like she does not need and education......she thinks she already knows everything.

RenneB
03-24-2011, 08:59 AM
I'm goin' to assume that this was the public library and not a school library. So public is just that, public. I would have thought that there are more problems in the world but some people just get caught up in the little stuff. Remember the words of wisdom. Rule number 1, don't sweat the little stuff. Rule number 2, it's all little stuff.....

Now back to shopping....

Renne....