PDA

View Full Version : Question for anyone who has seen a Therapist.

Jennifer Sophia
03-23-2011, 10:22 PM
I had my second appointment today with my therapist and I just had to ask if this is normal. The first session I had seemed alright, I was a little awkward but I got through it. For the second session she didn't take any notes, she didn't even have the notes from the first session with her. A couple a times she seemed like she didn't know what to ask me.

It seemed weird to me that she wasn't taking notes, and she seemed really laid back and relaxed. I haven't been to a therapist before so maybe I am wrong in thinking they need notes, but with so many patients seems like you would want them.

Second question, She is a licensed clinical social worker with a MSW and ACSW.
Would you recommend seeing a psychologist, psychiatrist or a licensed clinical social worker? She was recommend to me so I don't want to give up to early, but its got me thinking.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

sabrinaedwards
03-23-2011, 10:33 PM
The number one question is, "is this therapist experienced in working with crossdressers"? I went to a therapist and I think that I was the first client that was crossdresser. He was ot helpful!

StaceyJane
03-23-2011, 10:53 PM
My therapist never takes notes during the session. She mainly listens. I do know she writes up a summery of the sessions in her files.

nvlady
03-23-2011, 11:15 PM
Perhaps in the first few sessions she is only trying to make you feel comfortable, but why not ask her why she's not taking notes?

Eryn
03-23-2011, 11:35 PM
You should wear this to your next session:

http://www.whatonearthcatalog.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi/hzpi/u/2eb90bafd99d53dd5de28f1d2cbc5a55/hazel.cgi?randomizer=179890960&action=DETAIL&item=AS3901G&template=popup_temp.html

Stephanie-L
03-23-2011, 11:48 PM
My question would be "Why are you going to a therapist?" Are you going simply to understand yourself better, or are you going for help with potential transitioning? If the former, then experience with crossdressers or other TG folk is not so important, if the later, then it is very important. As to the note taking thing, perhaps they feel that taking notes during the session is distracting or makes the patient defensive. I would not be to worried anout the note taking aspect, but if they are forgetting stuff from previous sessions, that is not good. If you have to go over stuff you have already talked about, at several dollars per minute, it can get expensive. I do not know about the required credentials that a therapist must have in order to give you a letter for things like transition, surgery, etc. If you just need someone to talk to about crossdressing issues then a MSW is probably fine. It really all depends on how you feel with the therapist, someone who is great for me may be terrible for you, and vice versa. Anyway, good luck and let us know how things work out......Stephanie

ChloeMartin
03-24-2011, 01:10 AM
I've been in counseling three times. Each time, the goal was to figure out how to quit crossdressing. Fisrt of all, don't be discouraged by him/her not taking notes - if you're wondering if they recall what you said last time or the time before, ask. them "do you remember what we left off with last time" or some other detail I do recall the first guy was scatterbrained and had to take notes. My current therapist has amazing recall and rarely misremembers things . She deliberately does not take notes, mainly to preserve confidentiality and though she's not very Bob Newhart, she's amazing and seems to really get me.

I'd recommend a phsycologist, peferably one that has experience with gender issues/expression. My current therapist has some experience with trans people but its certainly not a specialty and I don't see her lacking because of that. A psychiatrist can help with perscribing medicine but I believe they are less about helping you adjust and work through issues and more about dealing with clinical issues. If you suspect depression may be an issue for you, you may want to consult one.

If you not feeling you like her style or you don't feel confident in her appraoch, don't hesitate to to shop around. This is someone you could be spending a lot of time and money on. If your gut isn't thinking she could be helpful after 1-3 sessions, try someone eles. Looking back on my first two therapists, they didn't get me and actually went along with my goal of wanting to stop. The third and current one said "tell me why you want to stop" and we went a better direction from there.

Lastly - look into your mental health care benefits if you have health insurance (this is America, yes? Not everyone has it). Find out if you can be reimbursed for some of it and don't be shy or concerned about privacy. Consider going out of plan even if it costs you a little more. Its important you choose someone you can trust and feel can help you.

Good luck! Hope you find someone you really like.

Chloe

Kate Simmons
03-24-2011, 06:54 AM
A therapist is basically a sounding board for you to speak freely. I would say them taking notes is optional in my oipinion. They are more interested in the effect things have on you as a person.:)

Sarasometimes
03-24-2011, 07:48 AM
The note taking is probably not too important but the big thing is are you being asked some pertinent questions. Are you getting explainations when you pose a question. There are many more unqualified therapists for gender issues than qualified ones from my experience. Ask her flat out if she know and has worked with others. You are paying for her to know the answers already. Good luck and don't do what I did for years, i didn't asked those questions. As to why we may go to therapy, I do it for a better understanding and to keep a better perspective and balance with the many aspects of my life. No looking for a cure, they don't have one yet.

JenniferR771
03-24-2011, 08:46 AM
I just did a quick survey of qualifications for counselors in my town. The magazine "Psychogology Today" has a sort of listing service online for most cities. I looked for people who claimed to work with various "Issues" and also who claimed "Specialized in" and who listed as "Client profile". Or "Expertise in". Of about a hundred, none listed expertise with transexuals or anything transgender-related. Only about half listed expertise in Gay and lesbian clients. About half listed GLBT in "Category of clients".
I found a qualified person in Milwaukee, though.
I suggest if she does not claim expertise on her listing or website--assume she has none. Shop around.

kimdl93
03-24-2011, 08:54 AM
I don't think there's any benefit in her having notes at hand. my therapist (a psychologist) never did. She spent a lot of her time getting me to talk, and when she did speak it was either to affirm a positive or to point out some errant thinking/behavior on my part.

Another observation - the first few sessions are really just to get acquainted. She's relaxed because she wants you to relax. And I would guess that she is being very careful about what she askes at this point because her first step is building an enduring, trusting rappport. The heavy lifting won't begin until you're completely at ease.

A clinical social worker is fine. She's appropriately credentialed. A psychiatrist is primarily involved in prescribing drugs, and should be consulted if there is any medication involved. I'd rank the psychologist in between the two in terms of education, but each individual practitioner brings thier own unique set of skills and personality traits.

NicoleScott
03-24-2011, 12:22 PM
Long ago my now-ex-wife dragged me to counseling, a husband-wife team. They informed us that the sessions were recorded, for their review later. We gave permission. Maybe your therapist was recording the session, but you should have been made aware. Maybe it's in the fine print if you signed an agreement. Ask.

chrissie
03-24-2011, 04:28 PM
I work in mental health and counselling is part of my role. Currently working with people with alcohol problems

Note-taking is not essential but records of contact may be expected from the practitioners professional registration body

If they seemed uncertain about next question it may be more about deciding how/what to ask next, gathering thoughts about your comments, behaviour etc...

For me the session is about what they are going to take from it, how the session makes them think, to consider their options and set targets, goals, objectives...

It's more important maybe for you to remember what you previously said, decided, acted upon...

The therapist should retain some idea of direction but it's YOU that has to use the session to YOUR benefit...

I guess this all depends on why you went there and what you agreed at start of the sessions

Generally your therapy, you do the work...

VtVicky
03-25-2011, 10:24 PM
When I was in practice, I had a therapist that worked for me who hated to keep notes. But, she did because she knew that if she got hit by a truck, for example, whoever filled in for her needed something to know her patient. But, I once saw her recall, verbatim, a session from several years earlier. (I know she was accurate because I did take notes.) She really had a great memory. Some patients get distracted by the therapist's taking notes, therefore the therapist might write the notes after the patient has left.

My advice is to not get caught up in worrying about techniques. The relationship is far more significant.

And, the academic credentials you should be looking for are MD, PhD, PsyD, MSW, and RN,MS,CS. (Most insurances will reimburse for the first 4. And a lot will accept the RN.MS.CS.) The MSW's will also have state certifications that may be CSW, CSW-R, LCSW, or LICSW, depending on the state. Any expertise in CDing will most likely be achieved after formal certification.

NathalieX66
03-25-2011, 10:39 PM
Interesting.
I have names of so many gender therapists in my area that all I have to do is call one. I'm glad I have the resources.....haven't called them yet, though.

I know so many folks who have gone down the route, including quite a few who are taking the transition route, or who have taken that route. Love & respect to those who have. :rose2:

I'm happy where I am.....a hetero guy who goes out in public 1 to 4 times a month as a woman, why do I need therapy? I just do what I do.